post #1261 of 30958 Old 04-24-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammers View Post

I have a pair of Paradigm mini monitors. I want to uses them as rears for a 7.1 setup. These speakers are quite deep, 12 inches. For esthetic reasons I do not want to have them stick out from the wall this far.

I was planning on recessing them into the rear wall. However, they have a rear port on them and do not know what effect it would have by having the speaker ported to the inside surface of the wall and only have the front surface of the speaker protrude into the room.

Can anyone share some insight on what effects (good or bad) this has?

Thanks
Shawn

Typically, blocking the port on any speaker will reduce the bass extension of the speaker (how low it will play). However, placing any speaker next to a wall will also increase bass output. Doing what you want to do could make the speaker sound boomy or muddy. I would temporarily place the speakers on stands right next to the wall to give you an idea of what they might sound like. Then try pluging the port with foam, or even an old sock to see if it sounds any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 30958 Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry, I guess I did not describe what I was doing clear enough. I am building a false rear wall and placing the front of these speakers flush with the front surface of this wall. The rear of the speaker is in the cavity between the rear of the false wall and the front of the original wall.

So the port will not be blocked. It will just vent into the space behind the false wall.

Shawn
post #1263 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 AM

Hey guys I just bought a pair of Studio 20 v.3s to be used for a 2.1 system in the living room. I am really wanting to add a center channel, but the centers in the studio series are just too big to meet the WAF for the living room. The only centers that Paradigm offers that are small enough and sleek enough to meet her approval are the Cinema CC, Cinema 110C, or the Cinema 220C. I would really like to have some sort of center as there will be alot of off-axis viewing of television and movies in the living room. I want the dialogue to always come from a central point regardless of where one is sitting. Will the Cinema series, say the 220 for instance, be close enough of a timbre match to be used with the Studio 20s? The wife could care less obviously , but I'm really worried about not having some sort of center. Any advice/replies/jokes/whatever will be really appreciated. Thanks!
post #1264 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 02:42 PM

I am getting a 5.1 speaker system. I auditioned several brands, and like Paradigm Studio 60 the best. I plan to get CC470 for center and Studio 20 for surround. With this configuration I am running close to my budge and don't have enough to afford even the cheapest subwoofer in reference series. I am wondering if it is OK to use a subwoofer from the regular Paradigm series, e.g., PS-1000 or PW-2100, to complete the set up. I would be using this system for both music and movie. Maybe 50/50. Music preferences are classical, opera, and jazz. Thank you.

Eric
post #1265 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolyepoly View Post

I am getting a 5.1 speaker system. I auditioned several brands, and like Paradigm Studio 60 the best. I plan to get CC470 for center and Studio 20 for surround. With this configuration I am running close to my budge and don't have enough to afford even the cheapest subwoofer in reference series. I am wondering if it is OK to use a subwoofer from the regular Paradigm series, e.g., PS-1000 or PW-2100, to complete the set up. I would be using this system for both music and movie. Maybe 50/50. Music preferences are classical, opera, and jazz. Thank you.

Eric

Go do a sound check at your dealer. Listen to the 60's with the lesser sub and then compare it to the 20's or 40's with a better sub. You might like the overall sound of the smaller speaker with a better sub while keeping your budget

Check out Dinger's
post #1266 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Eric

There is absolutely no reason to get the same brand sub as the rest of your speakers.

I would consider SVS or HSU or some of the other subs that come highly recommended on this board (look under sub board here). No need to get a pardigm sub at all.

You can get a pretty good sub for about $500.00 these days (unless you have a huge room).

I have the Studio 20s, a cc470 and an SVS PB10-ISD -- sounds awesome.
post #1267 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Given his musical tastes, I don't know heartily I would recommend a lesser Hsu or SVS sub. And the Paradigm PW-2100 and PW-2200 are good subwoofers, they just lack authority below 25 Hz as compared to the similarly priced SVS/Hsu subs.

In any case, if you are set on the Studio 60s vs running 20s up front, I see two options:

1) buy a cheaper sub now for HT. If it is acceptable to you for musical use, then you are set.

2) Run without a sub for a while until you can afford a better sub that is musical as well as having adequate output for HT. The new Hsu VTF-3 HO looks very good for this at $900-1100.
post #1268 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post

What's better for surround speakers, the Mini Monitor V2 or Studio 20 V1? Is there a difference in sound quality between the two? Obviously the V2 is newer, but here's what I'm working with:

Studio CC-570 V3 (cherry finish)
Studio 60 V2 (cherry finish)
Mini Monitor V2 (lighter finish, beech/birch/maple?)

The reason I'm considering swapping the Studio 20s for the Minis is the finish- the Studio 20s are cherry (matching my L/C/R). I'm already mixing the V3 center with V2 mains. Should I keep the V2 Mini Monitors or get the V1 Studio 20s?

Thanks!

Same question, but throw in the ADP-170. Would they provide a better theater experience than the Mini Monitors or Studio 20s?
post #1269 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammers View Post

Sorry, I guess I did not describe what I was doing clear enough. I am building a false rear wall and placing the front of these speakers flush with the front surface of this wall. The rear of the speaker is in the cavity between the rear of the false wall and the front of the original wall.

So the port will not be blocked. It will just vent into the space behind the false wall.

Shawn

While that is certainly a better scenario that stuffing the speaker in the wall, the speaker still wasn't intended to be that close to a wall and you may end up with either bass heavy or muddy sound. I still recommend placing the speakers close to a wall and listening to them to get an idea of the sound you will get. Why not just save your self the hassle of building a false wall and buying some surround speakers that are meant for on-wall performance instead? You could probably find a used pair of ADP surrounds on www.audiogon.com for a reasonable price.
post #1270 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrito View Post

Hey guys I just bought a pair of Studio 20 v.3s to be used for a 2.1 system in the living room. I am really wanting to add a center channel, but the centers in the studio series are just too big to meet the WAF for the living room. The only centers that Paradigm offers that are small enough and sleek enough to meet her approval are the Cinema CC, Cinema 110C, or the Cinema 220C. I would really like to have some sort of center as there will be alot of off-axis viewing of television and movies in the living room. I want the dialogue to always come from a central point regardless of where one is sitting. Will the Cinema series, say the 220 for instance, be close enough of a timbre match to be used with the Studio 20s? The wife could care less obviously , but I'm really worried about not having some sort of center. Any advice/replies/jokes/whatever will be really appreciated. Thanks!

I can't speak from experience, as I have never heard the Cinema CC, but there is a good chance it would make a decent compromise. Paradigms goal for sound quality is consistent throughout their lines. There is no substitution for experience though, especially with speakers. You need to go listen for your self.
post #1271 of 30958 Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post

Same question, but throw in the ADP-170. Would they provide a better theater experience than the Mini Monitors or Studio 20s?

Not better or worse, just different. The ADPs are dipole speakers, so they spread the sound out more. They are great for filling a room with sound but there is a trade off in pinpoint "imaging". If you have good amount of space between your couch and the back wall, the Studio 20's on stands could be a very good option. The first ADPs will be a bit better for movies, whilst the 20's better for surround music.

In regards to your original question, will the Studios sound better than your current Mini's? We'll some say that having different surround channels doesn't matter much because they are typically behind you or to the side so they sound different anyway. Me, I believe that having matching speakers all around creates a wholeness and seamlessness that you can't acheive otherwise. So, yes, I think that you will improve the sound by going with speakers all in the Studio line, whether that is the ADPs or the 20's.
post #1272 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Given his musical tastes, I don't know heartily I would recommend a lesser Hsu or SVS sub. And the Paradigm PW-2100 and PW-2200 are good subwoofers, they just lack authority below 25 Hz as compared to the similarly priced SVS/Hsu subs.

In any case, if you are set on the Studio 60s vs running 20s up front, I see two options:

1) buy a cheaper sub now for HT. If it is acceptable to you for musical use, then you are set.

2) Run without a sub for a while until you can afford a better sub that is musical as well as having adequate output for HT. The new Hsu VTF-3 HO looks very good for this at $900-1100.

Thanks for the answer. I have a follow up question. How are the criteria for picking a subwoofer besides sounding pleasant to the ear? I am trying to get some rough criteria so that I could generate a few candidates to audition. I have a 18 by 13 room. 9 feet ceiling. Thanks.

Eric
post #1273 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

I'm not recommending "lesser" subs. I'm recommending that he not limit himself to Paradigm. There is zero reason to look for a sub to "match" your other speakers. Subs are totally different animals, and do not need to be the same brand as your other speakers -- unlike say your fronts and center (which should match).

SVS, HSU and Paradgim (among others), all make some very good subs. Depending on his price range, he may want to look at Velodyne, SVS, HSU, etc., as you can generally get more bang from your buck with those company's subs, as opposed to Paradigm.
post #1274 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the answer. I have a follow up question. How are the criteria for picking a subwoofer besides sounding pleasant to the ear? I am trying to get some rough criteria so that I could generate a few candidates to audition. I have a 18 by 13 room. 9 feet ceiling. Thanks.

Eric

I look for a nice tight sub. I don't what the low feq to keep rolling.

You have to think about where you are going to be putting it in the room too. Do you need a front firing sub? The movie U571 is great to audition a sub. Depth charge scene.

To me the best way to audition subs is to have your dealer turn the speakers off turn up the sub so that is all you hear. this way you know exactly what the sub is doing. Comparing it this way you can hear which subs are boomy (if thats a word) and which ones give more of a tighter sound.

I agree with what Caesar posted. You do not have to go with a Paradigm sub

Check out Dinger's
post #1275 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I can't speak from experience, as I have never heard the Cinema CC, but there is a good chance it would make a decent compromise. Paradigms goal for sound quality is consistent throughout their lines. There is no substitution for experience though, especially with speakers. You need to go listen for your self.

Thanks for the input!
post #1276 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I'm not recommending "lesser" subs. I'm recommending that he not limit himself to Paradigm. There is zero reason to look for a sub to "match" your other speakers. Subs are totally different animals, and do not need to be the same brand as your other speakers -- unlike say your fronts and center (which should match).

SVS, HSU and Paradgim (among others), all make some very good subs. Depending on his price range, he may want to look at Velodyne, SVS, HSU, etc., as you can generally get more bang from your buck with those company's subs, as opposed to Paradigm.

When I said "lesser", I meant the entry-level subs from SVS and Hsu. To me, they go too far toward the output side of the output/sound quality scale. I totally agree that there is no need to match brands for subs. However, if he does get a Paradigm sub, he may get a further discount from the dealer.

I agree that Hsu and SVS offer more low frequency output than other companies at the same price point -- as they should, given their business model. I would argue that an SVS PB-12 sounds better than a Paradigm PW-2200 on music though. I don't know where you got Velodyne though....they are an overpriced brand if ever there was one.
post #1277 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger23 View Post

I look for a nice tight sub. I don't what the low feq to keep rolling.

You have to think about where you are going to be putting it in the room too. Do you need a front firing sub? The movie U571 is great to audition a sub. Depth charge scene.

To me the best way to audition subs is to have your dealer turn the speakers off turn up the sub so that is all you hear. this way you know exactly what the sub is doing. Comparing it this way you can hear which subs are boomy (if thats a word) and which ones give more of a tighter sound.

I agree with what Caesar posted. You do not have to go with a Paradigm sub

Auditioning a sub at a dealer is a crap shoot at best. The room has such an influence on sound quality with a sub. Movies are only good for testing sheer output and extension. You need to test them with music to get an idea of sound quality. IMO, it is extremely difficult to audition a sub....in my room, my PW-2200 had a large hump from 40-60 Hz. After some PEQ, the sound quality is great, with no overhang. You would think the sub was boomy with overhang if you didn't know better. I have heard the same sub at different locations without this problem.
post #1278 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eric

You want a sub with good frequency response, good extension, good transient response, and good output. As noted above, it is difficult to audition for these things.

For your use, you might want to save up for a high-end sealed sub, like a Paradigm Servo 15 or one of the higher Velodyne units.

Here's what I would do -- since you are buying several speakers at once, it should be no problem for the dealer to let you take a PW-2200 home with you for auditioning. If it sounds good to you and has enough oomph for movies, I would buy it and stop worrying about it. Another option is to buy an SVS or Hsu sub and see if it meets your expectations for sound quality and output. You can return those (you pay shipping) if you don't like them.
post #1279 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have very old (10+ Years) Paradigm 5se speakers but they work really well still, my problem is that I want to add a Center to them.

Can someone help me with recommendations? Do I call Paradigm and ask what the best "matching" center will be for my old speakers?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #1280 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

You can email them and ask but I do not see a matching center
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Comm...hiveIndex.html
I would look on ebay or audiogon for something used .
post #1281 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, I figured that would be the answer.

I just wanted to use them for 6 months or so until I bought new ones. Im already buying a complete HT setup for another room just wanted to delay spending more money.

post #1282 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

If you are planing on new speakers I would figure out what you want and buy that matching center now and dont worry about matching the 5se
post #1283 of 30958 Old 04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, being doing that I have created several threads on Center discussion, I have research Athenas, PBS, Paradigm, Kilpsch and even the Onix Rockets (Damn they look good ).

I do need to buy HT sound setup anyways for a 96'' Panny 900 projection system. I will just add a second Main/Center speakers for my second room (rear speakers already purchased for in ceiling). I also have my Subs that I wont upgrade until later.

I love Paradigm because I have had great experiences with them but I live in the US now and they are harder to research.

post #1284 of 30958 Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 PM

post #1285 of 30958 Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
depending on sub choice you have a great setup.
post #1286 of 30958 Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 PM

Just got done assembling the stereo rack and upgrading some components, so youll have to forgive the wiring mess in the pic.

Salamander Synergy Twin 30 rack with a 11" riser.
Velodyne DD-18 sub
Paradigm Signature S8 mains
Paradigm Signature C5 center
Anthem Statement P5 amp

CD case for size reference....
post #1287 of 30958 Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Now there's an audiophile that has his priorities straight! Nice speaks Kainam!
post #1288 of 30958 Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM

I'm happy with the Studio-40s, cc 470, adp 470s, and SVS 20-39 Pci. They are connected to a Denon 3805, 3910, HDTV cable box, and soon an Optoma HD72. I just moved to a new (more quiet and less collegiate) apartment complex, so i'm not sure how much i'll really use the sub here.

I don't really think that I can make a fair comparison to any other speakers in this price range. However, there are great Paradigm deals on audio auction sites from time to time. I got all my speakers new and paid much less than i would have buying them from a dealer. I HATE the local hi-fi dealers here, and nobody wants to pay 9.25% TN sales tax.
post #1289 of 30958 Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post

Just got done assembling the stereo rack and upgrading some components, so youll have to forgive the wiring mess in the pic.

Salamander Synergy Twin 30 rack with a 11" riser.
Velodyne DD-18 sub
Paradigm Signature S8 mains
Paradigm Signature C5 center
Anthem Statement P5 amp

CD case for size reference....

very nice indeed
post #1290 of 30958 Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks, now I just need to save up to upgrade the video portion of my system. My girlfriend already thinks Im crazy for getting these.... Im not crazy am I guys? .... am I? Tell her Im not crazy!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page