AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlivingstone View Post

Hi,

I have an Energy speaker system. RC-70, LCR, RC10s, ESWV10. I am thinking about upgrading to Signature 100s, CC690. Do you think this would be a significant upgrade. I mostly use my system for home theatre. I would use Signature 20s for rears, as I do not have any rear walls nearby. My theatre is in my finished basement, very large room with the theatre in an alcove. Thank you.

To be prefectly honest I don't think it would be a "significant" upgrade. The RC series are quite good, and for HT I doubt you'd get much of an improvement, maybe a bit by going to a bigger center, but not so much with the mains.

If it were me I'd upgrade the sub and see what you think first. If your room is "very large" I think the ESWV10 would be the weak link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 30405 Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Noah! I would love to see pictures

Thanks everyone for their suggestion...a lot of good options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Chris,

As others' have echoed, I use a Salamander triple twenty with a 11" riser. I had a C5 in the riser and it fit perfectly. Seeing as the 690 is almost the same height, that would be an option, or get the triple twenty with the LCD pole for mounting and lay the center on top of that. I love the synergy series, lots of things you can customize.

post #15033 of 30405 Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Dudes: cc-290 or cc-390? I'll be getting some Monitor 9's and wanted to get your opinion on the center speaker. Obviously, go with the superior one. However, is it worth the difference in price? I will be using it primarily for HT movie viewing.

Thanks for your time and opinion!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #15034 of 30405 Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Dudes: cc-290 or cc-390? I'll be getting some Monitor 9's and wanted to get your opinion on the center speaker. Obviously, go with the superior one. However, is it worth the difference in price? I will be using it primarily for HT movie viewing.

Thanks for your time and opinion!

HT = get best center possible. Compare the two yourself to see if the price is worth it (based on your personal value of money), but you should try to get the 390.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #15035 of 30405 Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ege View Post

Hi,

I'm currently using Studio100s with cc690 and 4 x adp590s with onkyo 3007. But having difficulties about power for both stereo and movies. As you know, S100s are power hungry and I'm planning to change 3007 with a Pioneer sc-lx90. Do you guys think pioneer's 200w per channel will be enough for the beasts. I will use bi-amp connection for front stage. I wish I could buy Anthem pre-power but in Turkey they are really expensive and I can't afford them for now. I asked a friend of mine to bring me Pio from hong kong, it will cost me around 3500$ + the money that will come from onkyo 3007. Any opinions?

any ideas?
post #15036 of 30405 Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
does anyone have a clue what type of mounts i can use to get the ADP-590s (or ADP-3s) to look like the speakers pbc has mounted as his rear surrounds in the pic below???
LL
post #15037 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

does anyone have a clue what type of mounts i can use to get the ADP-590s (or ADP-3s) to look like the speakers pbc has mounted as his rear surrounds in the pic below???

The ADPs are Dipoles and the ones in the pic look like direct radiators. I don't believe that it is recommended to mount Dipoles in that fashion. (Corner/angled)

FYI: I have 2 590s and haven't seen that in the recommended installations.

If you had to do a corner mount, you would have to build some bracket in the corner to hang these on. They mount on a top/center hanging bracket provided with unit..

Nice Stuff!
post #15038 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

any ideas?

Why not just use the Onkyo as a pre and get a nice amp. I dont know if emotiva delivers to Turkey but lm sure you can find something. It seems like it would be a waste to start over if power is your only problem with the receiver. That pioneer is a beast that should get the job done but I would just go with an Amp and save some cheese.
post #15039 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton View Post

The ADPs are Dipoles and the ones in the pic look like direct radiators. I don't believe that it is recommended to mount Dipoles in that fashion. (Corner/angled)

Those are ADP's.... Why not just ask pbc through PM as to what mounts he got....

The ADP's are meant to just smear sound around the room, I highly doubt mounting them in that fashion will prove a problem and work just fine.....
post #15040 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No, they are Mirage OMR2's and are dipole (well, "omnipolar" per Mirage). Kimwyn did PM me, but in any event I've added some comments in my HT thread (link in my sig).

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #15041 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Why not just use the Onkyo as a pre and get a nice amp. I dont know if emotiva delivers to Turkey but lm sure you can find something. It seems like it would be a waste to start over if power is your only problem with the receiver. That pioneer is a beast that should get the job done but I would just go with an Amp and save some cheese.

Well thank you.

I know Emotiva delivers to Turkey and I wish I could get one but we have probably the worst customs office in whole world . Its cost will be tripled after taxes and delivery. In addition, currently I don't have a place to put a gigantic power amp. Maybe after if I change the house and have a cinema room, I will go with Anthem Statement. But now, buying another power amp will cost me the same.

And also I don't really like the sound character of Onkyo, especially in movies. They are very flat. It's a good thing for music for sure, but I would like to hear more bright sounds for movies. I've listened Pioneer VSX-AX5ais and Sony 9000es here, both sounds closer the sound I'd like to hear. I want to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I just want to be sure that Susano will be enough for Studios because I will not have the chance to return it. But as you said, i think it will get the job done.
post #15042 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Hey guys, I am considering making my own acoustic panels with the Owens corning 703 and basic supplies. Found a video on youtube about it...just wondering what if you guys had any input on this product/DIY project.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lc0BjFHoA8
post #15043 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just want to be sure that Susano will be enough for Studios because I will not have the chance to return it. But as you said, i think it will get the job done.

It will absolutely do the job. If it had Audyssey I might have given up my separates for that unit. (Right now I run the Denon AVP & ICE amps.)
post #15044 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

I know. I'm hoping to avoid the wall mount option.

I'm looking for something like these type of stands where I can stick the CC-690 just below the top surface. I do see some stand out there...but they're 10 inches apart...just too tight and the back is block by some metal bar.

I have a similar stand for my setup. Bought it from walmart Pretty sure the cc-690 is on the high end for maximum weight per shelf, but it works. Definitely a tight fit! The speaker pretty much takes up the entire top shelf. Definitely glad I was too lazy to lower the TV when I first set it up :P
post #15045 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

Hey guys, I am considering making my own acoustic panels with the Owens corning 703 and basic supplies. Found a video on youtube about it...just wondering what if you guys had any input on this product/DIY project.

Thanks

Yeah that's pretty basic and simple to do.
My room is fairly narrow so I just used 3/4 inch O.C. with a 3/4" airspace behind. They still did a good job, and combined with some bass trapping the room turned out excellent, it's well worth the effort. You can see them on the side walls here;

post #15046 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding mounting ADP's in corners... they do a fine job of "smearing the sound around" and I have used these shelves for my 590's in the past. http://www.creativeconnectors.com/corner.html
Sometimes a corner placement is the only decient one available. I'd try and keep them away from the ceiling if going with a corner mount though. Too many nearby surfaces will overemphasize the lower midrange.
post #15047 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well thank you.

I know Emotiva delivers to Turkey and I wish I could get one but we have probably the worst customs office in whole world . Its cost will be tripled after taxes and delivery. In addition, currently I don't have a place to put a gigantic power amp. Maybe after if I change the house and have a cinema room, I will go with Anthem Statement. But now, buying another power amp will cost me the same.

And also I don't really like the sound character of Onkyo, especially in movies. They are very flat. It's a good thing for music for sure, but I would like to hear more bright sounds for movies. I've listened Pioneer VSX-AX5ais and Sony 9000es here, both sounds closer the sound I'd like to hear. I want to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Wow thats not good that you dont like the Onkyo. I was thinking about getting one. Not that exact model cause I dont have that kind of a system but I was looking at the 807. I am going to rethink that now. I dont really have alot of experince with pioneer elite but the reviews of the ice amps all say they are great. I have a Denon reciever now and I love it but lack of Dolby True HD is getting on my nerves. I would go with the 2310 but I dont want to get a new receiver later on if I get the studio 100s. I know it would work now with the studio 20s but I need preamp outputs just in case. Thanks for the heads up and I hope everything works out for you.
post #15048 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks rnr, what kind of bass trappings would you recommend?
post #15049 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Just because one person doesn't like the Onkyo doens't mean you won't like it mjpearce. I think a lot of people use Onkyos to power their Paradigms. Some people like Pioneer, others do not. The best thing you can do is listen to both and pick the one you like best. We all have different tastes. My dad used to tell me, "That's why they make chocolate, strawberry, & vanilla ice cream."

There's nothing to see here.

post #15050 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

Thanks rnr, what kind of bass trappings would you recommend?

That would depend on a lot of things but you could put those DIY panels in the corners as bass traps too.

Go do some nosing around here;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=91

The sticky "Home Theater 101" has got some great links on the subject, and search "bass traps" in general.

Anyone reading this that wants the most out of their system should be spending some time learning about room acoustics & treatments.
You will get more bang for your HT dollar here in terms of appreciable results than just about anything, with speakers being second on the list.
post #15051 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

Just because one person doesn't like the Onkyo doens't mean you won't like it mjpearce. I think a lot of people use Onkyos to power their Paradigms. Some people like Pioneer, others do not. The best thing you can do is listen to both and pick the one you like best. We all have different tastes. My dad used to tell me, "That's why they make chocolate, strawberry, & vanilla ice cream."

Exactly, it's important to experience before you buy. It doesn't mean Onkyo 3007 is a bad receiver, no, it is really good actually. But ''I'' don't like very much its sound in movies, however, when I think about it, it is really successful too. It's all about taste. And main reason to change it is my power requirements. I wouldn't think of changing onkyo if 3007 can drive Studio100s easily. Just be sure of the receiver will drive your speakers. If they don't, you will start to listen music in mono mode like me listening with cc690 . It has 2 bass drivers but it makes me hear much more bass than stereo mode with S100s which has 6 of bass drivers. It not only the basses. Details, sound stage, depth...
post #15052 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well said!
I ended up with the integra reciever after listening to a few and thought it sounded better than the rest.but hey,that's just my ears

I guess it also depends on how many different speackers you can listen to with different recievers.which isnt always easy to do.
post #15053 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I wish I could find a store that carries onkyo around here. I was going to order it form accessories for less. I have heard before that onkyo dosnt have a great power suply since the 05s. I know the 805 was a beast but I cant find one. Im going to go thru the 807 and 707 owners thread and see what people are saying. I could get the Marantz 5003 but I know the 5004s have problems with dying. I dont know anywhere to get a good deal on the pioneer elites so Im gonna have to pass on that. Thanks for the advice.
post #15054 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:

I use both 8-)

Pioneer with Monitors in the lounge.
Onkyo (feeding a power amp) with Sigs in the Media room.

Both work well for me but as others have said you need to find a combination that works well for you and produces the sort of sound you like.
post #15055 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If anyone here is from the Edmonton, Alberta area and is interested in the Sub 12, I'm looking to unload my duals.

PM me for details...
post #15056 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

If anyone here is from the Edmonton, Alberta area and is interested in the Sub 12, I'm looking to unload my duals.

PM me for details...

I am from Edmonton and I dont need them I dont think...lol...but I will ask around for you man!!
post #15057 of 30405 Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

PM me for details...

I'm not from around there but I have to ask, WHY and how much. You can PM me if you like. But WHY.
post #15058 of 30405 Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 AM

Does anyone know if the PBK is compatible with the ultracubes?
post #15059 of 30405 Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Still in work... 7.1

L/R: Definitive BP-8's
Center: C5 WHAT AN AMAZING ADDITION!
Surround sides: SA-15R Ceilings
Surround backs: SA-15R-30 Ceilings
Sub: Velodyne SPL-1000 Series 1

I may replace the BP-8's with Paradigms or possibly B&W 805's that I currently own.

Panasonic 65" Plasma TH-65PZ850U
Pioneer Elite SC-05

Advice?

Mike

Pictures finally.

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #15060 of 30405 Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This thread has how many posts?!!! WOW!
Anyway, can someone tell me the differences between the different Titan versions and which may be preferred or which to avoid? Thanks!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page