post #23221 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Almost finished putting together a new system. I've settled on

L/R: Studio 20's
C: CC-590

Rears will be in-ceiling, I will probably go with something from the PV line. Sub will come in a couple months.

A few questions please:

1) I haven't heard the CC590 in person- dealers around here only have the SE center. With the Studio 20's as fronts, would the 490 be fine, or the step up to the 590 is really worth the difference in cost? FWIW the SE (490 equivalent I believe) sounded good to me, if slightly boxy.

2) Are the stands made by Paradigm for the Studio 20's strongly recommended, or have folks had good luck with other, 3rd party stands?

3) I listened to Elite, Integra, and Anthem for receivers, and IMO the Anthem was sooo much better with these speakers (not terribly surprising). The Anthem did not have ARC run, it just simply sounded great- but, I really wanted AirPlay built in. The MRX500 would be really stretching the budget, and adding an Apple TV adds more pain. Assuming I can't swing the MRX-500, what would be a recommendation for something with similar 'sound' to Anthem, that does have AirPlay? I was thinking Yamaha.

4) If you guys had to build out your system over a couple months, which of these would you do to start with:

Fronts/surrounds and phantom center, no sub
Fronts and center, no surrounds/sub
Fronts and sub, phantom center, no surrounds

Really excited about the Studio 20's, they really blew the doors off everything else for HT I listened to. Unfortunately my budget has doubled in the last 2 weeks and it will still require piecing out to get everything I want, damn this is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23222 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff View Post

Rears will be in-ceiling, I will probably go with something from the PV line. Sub will come in a couple months.

A few questions please:

1) I haven't heard the CC590 in person- dealers around here only have the SE center. With the Studio 20's as fronts, would the 490 be fine, or the step up to the 590 is really worth the difference in cost? FWIW the SE (490 equivalent I believe) sounded good to me, if slightly boxy.

2) Are the stands made by Paradigm for the Studio 20's strongly recommended, or have folks had good luck with other, 3rd party stands?

3) I listened to Elite, Integra, and Anthem for receivers, and IMO the Anthem was sooo much better with these speakers (not terribly surprising). The Anthem did not have ARC run, it just simply sounded great- but, I really wanted AirPlay built in. The MRX500 would be really stretching the budget, and adding an Apple TV adds more pain. Assuming I can't swing the MRX-500, what would be a recommendation for something with similar 'sound' to Anthem, that does have AirPlay? I was thinking Yamaha.

4) If you guys had to build out your system over a couple months, which of these would you do to start with:

Really excited about the Studio 20's, they really blew the doors off everything else for HT I listened to. Unfortunately my budget has doubled in the last 2 weeks and it will still require piecing out to get everything I want, damn this is expensive.

I've always run Integra with my Paradigms, they are a good match. Don't know how much the Anthem 500 is but the Integra 40.3 or 50.3 might be close to that. Please, you mentioned some great receivers here, why oh why Yamaha??!!

Jeff
post #23223 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

I've always run Integra with my Paradigms, they are a good match. Don't know how much the Anthem 500 is but the Integra 40.3 or 50.3 might be close to that. Please, you mentioned some great receivers here, why oh why Yamaha??!!

Jeff

Yamaha does not support AirPlay,but they do make great receivers IMO.
post #23224 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Bless New Year Everybody.
post #23225 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey I ask this before, has anyone tried out the millennium LP.

I was thinking of pairin them with monitor surround 3

Can't find a demo around me for them.

Thanks for anyone's input
post #23226 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Please, you mentioned some great receivers here, why oh why Yamaha??!!

Jeff

My mistake, I meant Denon, not Yamaha.

I think what I may do is see if Anthem is going to release new models at/around CES, and if not get the MRX500 + Apple TV.
post #23227 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 05:02 PM

good match for center to match millenia 200 towers. se center or cc-390 both the same price???
post #23228 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

A few questions please:

Adding $99 to an MRX300 makes it similar in price to the higher-end Denon 3312. I like the idea of keeping the streaming features that are changing frequently separate from the AVR.

AppleTV w/ the MRX really is a nice option. I would also keep in mind some receivers have been charging $50 for the Airplay firmware. I'm not sure if this is still the case. If you really want Airplay though I would look into Denon / Marantz.
post #23229 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Would the MRX300 be enough to sufficiently power the Studio 20's/corresponding center/sub/surrounds? I assumed it would not be.
post #23230 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Does anyone own or have heard the Millenia one 5.1 system? Thinking about replacing my 5.1 Klipsch RF7 system for the bedroom and going for something much smaller.

There is a mini review here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=millenia+one

Since I was only going to use them for surrounds, they would up being too pricey for me so I did not buy (I would have needed eight of them).
post #23231 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would the MRX300 be enough to sufficiently power the Studio 20's/corresponding center/sub/surrounds? I assumed it would not be.

I assume your sub has it's own internal amp. The speakers are quite efficient and should not need a separate amp. The MRX should be more than enough to drive a 5.1 system with Studio 20s as the front L/R.
post #23232 of 30981 Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A week or so ago I talked about obtaining the ADP-590s from eBay. Turned out great. They are in mint condition and sound great.

I was dismayed to find no mounting brackets included. It turns out that Paradigm no longer supplies them with these speakers . So I had to get creative. In case anyone needs to mount these or similarly designed surrounds, here is how I did it........

Since there is a gap right in the center, it worked out to use T Plates with the tail pointing up. I put a few washers behind the plate to space it out from the wall enough to hang the speaker on it. Very solid mounting. I'm pleased. Pics are below. The T Plate is a 3".
LL

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter
post #23233 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM

^^^ Nice job Peter !!!
post #23234 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

A week or so ago I talked about obtaining the ADP-590s from eBay. Turned out great. They are in mint condition and sound great.

I was dismayed to find no mounting brackets included. It turns out that Paradigm no longer supplies them with these speakers . So I had to get creative. In case anyone needs to mount these or similarly designed surrounds, here is how I did it........

Since there is a gap right in the center, it worked out to use T Plates with the tail pointing up. I put a few washers behind the plate to space it out from the wall enough to hang the speaker on it. Very solid mounting. I'm pleased. Pics are below. The T Plate is a 3".

They have gone from a bad mounting system to NO mounting system? That is a joke.

Nicely done on the DIY

I would trade mark your idea and offer it to those monkeys.

Now all they have to do is re-engineer the banana plug angle to allow a little more room to work and all is good.

DPN
post #23235 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnaugle View Post

They have gone from a bad mounting system to NO mounting system? That is a joke.

Nicely done on the DIY

I would trade mark your idea and offer it to those monkeys.

Now all they have to do is re-engineer the banana plug angle to allow a little more room to work and all is good.

DPN

Thnxs. You're right about the banana plugs, though my mounting system did allow enough room. It depends on your plugs though. Some are longer than others. Size does matter!

post #23236 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Absolutely. Anthem has tested all their receivers with the Paradigm speakers. The MRX was tested in 2.0 with the S8s and did a great job. So mrx 300 with Studio 20s, no problem. I ran Studio 60s, cc690 and some axiom surrounds and it was easy to run. These amps are quite robust so I would think that if not in a huge room and not played at scorching volumes, you should be just fine.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #23237 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Loving my new studio 60's with cc-590!! Throwing all kinds of music and ht at them & just enjoying every aspect. Using them with a hsu vtf-ho and blending nicely. Currently driving with an Integra dtr-70.2 (140 watts) and sounds smooth and easy to push. However, I am fond of saying "you don't know what you don't know", so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had the chance to compare an integra (or higher-end onkyo) with adding a separate amp for any improvements in sound. I wouldn't be looking to spend big amounts, would be along the lines of emotiva xpa-3 rated at 200w. Any thoughts appreciated.
post #23238 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushwj View Post

Loving my new studio 60's with cc-590!! Throwing all kinds of music and ht at them & just enjoying every aspect. Using them with a hsu vtf-ho and blending nicely. Currently driving with an Integra dtr-70.2 (140 watts) and sounds smooth and easy to push. However, I am fond of saying "you don't know what you don't know", so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had the chance to compare an integra (or higher-end onkyo) with adding a separate amp for any improvements in sound. I wouldn't be looking to spend big amounts, would be along the lines of emotiva xpa-3 rated at 200w. Any thoughts appreciated.

You've got plenty of power for those speakers, as you've already noted, so sit back and enjoy
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #23239 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Absolutely. Anthem has tested all their receivers with the Paradigm speakers. The MRX was tested in 2.0 with the S8s and did a great job. So mrx 300 with Studio 20s, no problem. I ran Studio 60s, cc690 and some axiom surrounds and it was easy to run. These amps are quite robust so I would think that if not in a huge room and not played at scorching volumes, you should be just fine.
John

I have a similar experience w/ the S6. If I hadn't already had an amp I may have just gotten the MRX700 and been done with it. Much simpler setup.
post #23240 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I have a similar experience w/ the S6. If I hadn't already had an amp I may have just gotten the MRX700 and been done with it. Much simpler setup.

I agree, the amp section in the MRX receivers is very good. My studio 100s and cc690 are driven by my Anthem A5, probably overkill
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #23241 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM

mounted some adp-590's two weeks ago direct from paradigm, came with the mounts, unless this just recently changed in the last two weeks, saw those on ebay too I think.
post #23242 of 30981 Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaximized View Post

mounted some adp-590's two weeks ago direct from paradigm, came with the mounts, unless this just recently changed in the last two weeks, saw those on ebay too I think.

There was a note in the manual that said they no longer include mounting hardware - see an installation professional .

post #23243 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

There was a note in the manual that said they no longer include mounting hardware - see an installation professional .

Maybe the manual was referring to the screws and drywall mounting hardware?

Anyway, you came up with a good solution and got a sweet deal on the speakers. Enjoy!
post #23244 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I asked about this. They no longer want the liability if someone does a lousy job mounting their speakers, so they leave it up to you. They include the mount, but the fasteners to connect it to the wall are up to you, since who knows what sort of surface you'll be screwing into. (drywall, plaster, stucco(!), etc.)

For me, a couple of drywall screws did the trick just fine. My 190s aren't as heavy as the 590s, but it's still not an excessive about of weight.

If you're worried, and (1) ARE installing into drywall, but (2) there is no stud at the installation location, just use an EZ Anchor (Home Depot carries them, or similar) to secure your drywall screw. (if there is a stud, there is no problem, screw right into the stud and you're set)
post #23245 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I asked about this. They no longer want the liability if someone does a lousy job mounting their speakers, so they leave it up to you. They include the mount, but the fasteners to connect it to the wall are up to you, since who knows what sort of surface you'll be screwing into. (drywall, plaster, stucco(!), etc.)

For me, a couple of drywall screws did the trick just fine. My 190s aren't as heavy as the 590s, but it's still not an excessive about of weight.

If you're worried, and (1) ARE installing into drywall, but (2) there is no stud at the installation location, just use an EZ Anchor (Home Depot carries them, or similar) to secure your drywall screw. (if there is a stud, there is no problem, screw right into the stud and you're set)

They are mounted as earlier posted:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=23238

Based on information you obtained, I guess the seller just didn't include the bracket (these were used from eBay). My solution is effective enough though.

post #23246 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM

I have bought Martin Logan MLT-1 speakers few days ago and looking for a wall mount/bracket that I can use with them.

MLT-1/2 seem to be very similar to Paradigm Cinema 90 CT. So maybe someone in this thread can help me.

Can someone recommend me good wall mount that I can use for surround speakers?
post #23247 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:

They are mounted as earlier posted:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=23238

Based on information you obtained, I guess the seller just didn't include the bracket (these were used from eBay). My solution is effective enough though.

Ah, missed that. Very nice!
post #23248 of 30981 Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys,

Looking for something to use as surrounds , would a pair of atoms or micros work ok to use with a Titan/CC-290 trio?

My initial guess is that the atoms would work better...
post #23249 of 30981 Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:

A few questions please:

I have this same setup, CC590 and Studio 20's(V4's). I'll try to answer as best I can.

1. I listened to both the 490 and the 590. I preferred the 590. I too thought the 490 sounded boxy. I also wanted the drivers to be the same size as the 20's. The 490 uses 5 1/2" drivers and the 590/20's use a 7" driver. I think it sounds better and is more aesthetically pleasing. So I bought the 590. Very happy with the purchase. It's a great center channel speaker.

2. I bought the cheaper stands from Paradigm. They work well and look nice. But I'm sure any decent speaker stand(which is the correct height) will work.

3. No experience with any of those brands. I've used HK in the past and currently use a Pioneer Elite receiver(which sounds great!).

4. I would choose option three: Fronts and center, no surrounds/sub
I choose this having used my studio 20's/cc-590 without a sub or surrounds for a brief time. A sub is a fantastic addition to this setup. But it still sounds very good without one. I also don't care much for the phantom center mode.

I've had this setup for 4 years now and I still love it! I think you've chosen wisely. Have fun with it. Buying all this stuff is supposed to be fun!
post #23250 of 30981 Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdar1987 View Post

I have bought Martin Logan MLT-1 speakers few days ago and looking for a wall mount/bracket that I can use with them.

MLT-1/2 seem to be very similar to Paradigm Cinema 90 CT. So maybe someone in this thread can help me.

Can someone recommend me good wall mount that I can use for surround speakers?

I used a product from Omnimount to hang my Cinema 90s.

http://www.omnimount.com/products/Sp..._Steel_Series/
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page