post #23341 of 30680 Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I do have one question. If I upgrade to towers next year, monitor9 v7, how do the current versions match up with the v6? Are they tonally close enough to match with the cc-290 that I bought? Actually the minis are filling my room no problem so I am not sure if I would even need towers again.

v7 sounded considerably different, but not dramatically different to me; but different enough that I wouldn't recommend matching v6 with v7.

If you have Minis that fill your room, then don't worry about getting towers. Speaker size is dependent on room size IMHO (if you have a dedicated sub that is), so if the Minis are fine, then don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post

How do people feel about the Monitor 7 vs. Monitor 9. Ive heard some reviews actually state they thought the 7 sounded better. Im talking in the most recent Version 7. I will be getting a pair to go with my Atom Monitor V7's within a few months and wanted to see if anyone has feedback. Thanks!

Matt

I'm not sure if that's the case with v7. Regardless, as I said above, speaker size is more dependent on room size if you have a sub IMHO. If your room is smaller than 300sqft, then I think the 7s will be sufficient and sound great. If the room is bigger, then I'd recommend the 9s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23342 of 30680 Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Always try to get the largest speakers you can. Monitor 9s would be a good starting point.
post #23343 of 30680 Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous View Post

always try to get the largest speakers you can. Monitor 9s would be a good starting point.

+1
post #23344 of 30680 Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Here is the Millenia One setup in my bedroom. They replaced my Klipsch RF7 5.1 setup.
They really rock for being so small.

That looks great. I have been considering the millenia ones for a bedroom setup for a while. I already have a receiver and a sub so I just want some speakers to replace my monitor 3. What receiver are you using with them? The pic looks like you have a Pioneer SC model but I wasn't sure.

That VT30 looks sweet. I had to go with the ST30 and it's a nice TV but I can only imagine how good the vt30 must look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23345 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 AM

Audio gurus, I have a difficult question:
If I sell my Paradigm Titans and CC190 (since they are too big and cannot be wall mounted), how much can u expect? They are around 2 years old in great condition.

Also can you suggest me good Paradigm/non paradigm 3.1 or 5.1 speaker setup with small good looking speakers? I am thinking $1500 for this system.

Please help as my wife is not happy with these big wooden boxes. (that's what she call them)
post #23346 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

That looks great. I have been considering the millenia ones for a bedroom setup for a while. I already have a receiver and a sub so I just want some speakers to replace my monitor 3. What receiver are you using with them? The pic looks like you have a Pioneer SC model but I wasn't sure.

That VT30 looks sweet. I had to go with the ST30 and it's a nice TV but I can only imagine how good the vt30 must look.

The AVR is a Pioneer Elite SC35 and the sub is a Sunfire true signature.

These little speakers really sound good and free up lots of floor space. Looks like i will have to remount the rears as they are facing out from behind me.
I think they need to be facing left to right toward me as i don't get much effect with them facing out.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #23347 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.agarwal View Post

Audio gurus, I have a difficult question:
If I sell my Paradigm Titans and CC190 (since they are too big and cannot be wall mounted), how much can u expect? They are around 2 years old in great condition.

Also can you suggest me good Paradigm/non paradigm 3.1 or 5.1 speaker setup with small good looking speakers? I am thinking $1500 for this system.

Please help as my wife is not happy with these big wooden boxes. (that's what she call them)

The Millenia One's will fit the bill very nice, see my pic of them just above you.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #23348 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:

The Millenia One's will fit the bill very nice, see my pic of them just above you.

I saw your setup, the speakers are really small. They are probably 1/4 in size compared to Titans or CC190. Do you think they will rock the room? I am happy with these speakers but space is an issue.

Also I need rear/surrounds? Do u recommend Millenia for rear too or Surround 1? As you mentioned above, you are not feeling the effect from rear ones. Can I add ceiling speakers for rear?
post #23349 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw your setup, the speakers are really small. They are probably 1/4 in size compared to Titans or CC190. Do you think they will rock the room? I am happy with these speakers but space is an issue.

Also I need rear/surrounds? Do u recommend Millenia for rear too or Surround 1? As you mentioned above, you are not feeling the effect from rear ones. Can I add ceiling speakers for rear?

I don't know what size room you have, my bedroom is 14x16 foot. They do plenty for my small bedroom. I just need to remount my rear's so they face left to right instead of facing toward the tv. I had Klipsch RS7's mounted as rears when i first hooked up the front three Millenia speakers. They are a different kind of sorround speaker than the Millenia.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #23350 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spyder View Post

Ok guys

Is it worth the upgrade from studio to signature?????!!!???

Currently
Marx 700, studio60s, sub 12, cc 590, sa15r in ceiling rears

Would It be worth an upgrade to s6s and a c3?

Would I need an a2 to power those puppies as I feel I need an a2 already

I wouldn't be able to buy a sub for a long time either

My signatures were worth every penny I spent on them! Awesome speakers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23351 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
How come Paradigm so drastically reduced the Series 7 Monitors' sensitivity?

That, combined with low power handling, suggest that they are not suited for the high dynamics of home theater.

I've been a fan of Paradigm and own five of their speakers, but this move leaves me confused.
post #23352 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If anyone is using mini monitors as right and left with a sub, what do you cross them over at? I've tried both 60 and 80 and I kind of like the 60 better for music, but is that too low for them? I know what they are rated down to, but I was just curious what others have used and liked. I have them paired with a Hsu STF-2 and a Denon 1910.

Thanks.

post #23353 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone is using mini monitors as right and left with a sub, what do you cross them over at? I've tried both 60 and 80 and I kind of like the 60 better for music, but is that too low for them? I know what they are rated down to, but I was just curious what others have used and liked. I have them paired with a Hsu STF-2 and a Denon 1910.

Thanks.

More important than crossing over at what the speaker CAN do, you should cross over where you SHOULD do, in your room with your sub and your amp.

If you listen at high levels and your receiver is weaker, then you may well do better crossing over higher.

If the standing waves are such that sending more bass to the fronts mean you cannot mitigate them by positioning the sub for smoothest response, then you should cross over higher.
post #23354 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Right now I am still adjusting things. I really wanted the monitor 9s, but the wife said that was out of the question. The Minis fill my room quite well and the CC-290 is awesome, but on some tracks with 2 channel stereo and music, the sub seems a little too overpowering. I know the monitor 9s would be smoother, but I am very satisfied with the sound I am getting. Major upgrade over my Jamos even going from towers to bookshelves. I wouldn't have even considered the minis without the Hsu. I had a BIC F12 before and it was boomy with bookshelves. The Hsu is definitely more musical. I know there is the age old debate of floor speakers vs bookshelves with a sub but that just was not an option at this point. 80 hz seems to be my sweet spot. I have always preferred that even with towers. It just gave a little more impact to my ears. I guess on the few tracks that are mixed a little heavier, I can just drop the channel level on the sub a notch or two. Thanks for the input.

I actually have 30 days to exchange the minis for full credit if I wanted larger speakers. They have a few new 9s and 11s left. If I did that I would have to sleep in the boxes they came in.

post #23355 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Right now I am still adjusting things. I really wanted the monitor 9s, but the wife said that was out of the question. The Minis fill my room quite well and the CC-290 is awesome, but on some tracks with 2 channel stereo and music, the sub seems a little too overpowering. I know the monitor 9s would be smoother, but I am very satisfied with the sound I am getting. Major upgrade over my Jamos even going from towers to bookshelves. I wouldn't have even considered the minis without the Hsu. I had a BIC F12 before and it was boomy with bookshelves. The Hsu is definitely more musical. I know there is the age old debate of floor speakers vs bookshelves with a sub but that just was not an option at this point. 80 hz seems to be my sweet spot. I have always preferred that even with towers. It just gave a little more impact to my ears. I guess on the few tracks that are mixed a little heavier, I can just drop the channel level on the sub a notch or two. Thanks for the input.

I actually have 30 days to exchange the minis for full credit if I wanted larger speakers. They have a few new 9s and 11s left. If I did that I would have to sleep in the boxes they came in.

Upgrade and sleep in the boxes it will be well worth it and the wife will call you back to the bedroom after a few days anyways to keep her warm. LOL
post #23356 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I don't know what size room you have, my bedroom is 14x16 foot. They do plenty for my small bedroom. I just need to remount my rear's so they face left to right instead of facing toward the tv. I had Klipsch RS7's mounted as rears when i first hooked up the front three Millenia speakers. They are a different kind of sorround speaker than the Millenia.

How does Millenia compare to KEF T series? They are also sleek good looking speakers.
post #23357 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks.

I cross my Studio 10s over to my Hsu VTF-3 Mk III at 100 Hz. I've experimented with both 80 and 120, and keep coming back to 100...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #23358 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

The AVR is a Pioneer Elite SC35 and the sub is a Sunfire true signature.

These little speakers really sound good and free up lots of floor space. Looks like i will have to remount the rears as they are facing out from behind me.
I think they need to be facing left to right toward me as i don't get much effect with them facing out.

Thats a nice receiver. I have heard the millinea ones and I thought they sound fantastic. I have heard they have some impedance dips and require a decent receive to get the most out of them. I have a Denon 1508 that I wanted to use but I will probably have to use the Denon 3310 that I was planning to sell since it has a better amp section. I am still trying to decide on what to do but I would like to have a nice little music system.

post #23359 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does Millenia compare to KEF T series? They are also sleek good looking speakers.

I have no clue as the only brand of speakers i have ever owned was many of Klipsch line of speakers. I plan to try as many diff speakers brands as i can over the next few years.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #23360 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I have no clue as the only brand of speakers i have ever owned was many of Klipsch line of speakers. I plan to try as many diff speakers brands as i can over the next few years.

Anyone else who may have heard them?
post #23361 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

BGAEAT,

I have monitor 7's and have been looking at things here and elswhere for a while. I'd have a hard time suggesting the 190.

I've been trying to run a cc-170 with original Monitor 7's in a large high-ceilinged room. No go. The cc just couldn't keep up. Couldn't do it whith Monitor 7 v.2's either. With the v.2's I took the opportunity to take the center speaker out of the system and re-calibrate. Imaging across the screen is probably better than with an inadequate cc inplace. Shrug.

The Paradigm site is very annoying. I usually have to send an e-mail support request for questions or data sheets on older equipment. Some folks there are very decent to persons like myself who know little. Often, not even what the question is.

Looking at data sheets for the cc0150 vs. cc-190, I am pretty sure that you would hear an improvement. The real difference, IMHO, would be getting into a cc-290 or better. The data sheets and photo's show that they are made very differently from the cc-190. I would be tempted to break out the saw and some sandpaper and stain, install the 290 (wth, while you're at it), or even the impressive Monitor 390, and just let them all figure it out. Or, save a little coin and see your your sytem responds to a phantom center using just your excellent L/R's. I am impressed with both my Yamaha AVR's and their abillity to create center effects and dialog on both my Monitor's and on Monitor v.2s. I put the cc speaker "for sale" on the local market. Yes, that is when us mere mortals notice, really see the clarity and image effects that are taking plac.

Well, the second cone in that CC-150 has blown. However when I checked, it seems the first blown one I "fixed" last year has acquired a slight tear in the foam. The problem is that Krazy Glue acts as a solvent for the foam rim, thereby weakening it. However, I have fixed the second blown cone the same way for interim use.

Luckily Paradigm has since updated the centers to deal with the size issue. I am now leaning towards replacing it with a Center 3 to match my 1990s Monitor 7s, unless you guys and gals have better suggestions (or if the price is insanely high).

After drilling new shelf holes I now have about 8.75" x 24" for space in my AV cabinet. (Depth is not really an issue.)

|
|
|
post #23362 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

P.S. I am trying to figure out which series of of Monitor speakers I have. I bought them in the 90s. My Monitor 7 speakers just say "Monitor 7" with no v.X anywhere. Same goes for my CC-150. Does that mean they're the original Monitor 7 and CC-150? What year did they come out?

The Monitor 7s say they're compatible with 15-175 Watt, with a max of 120 on typical material. At least in that respect they seem like a match to the Center Channel 3.

The spec of the CC-150 is similar to the Center Channel 1, compatible with 15-120 Watt, with a max of 80.

|
|
|
post #23363 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

How do people feel about the Monitor 7 vs. Monitor 9. Ive heard some reviews actually state they thought the 7 sounded better. Im talking in the most recent Version 7. I will be getting a pair to go with my Atom Monitor V7's within a few months and wanted to see if anyone has feedback. Thanks!

Matt

reposting for insight

-Matt
post #23364 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:

reposting for insight

I went through the dilemma of M9s vs. M7s (series 7). Ended up picking M9s for the following reasons:
  1. More detailed sounding than M7s
  2. Better/punchier bass
  3. I prefer the rule of getting a bigger speaker, if possible
post #23365 of 30680 Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM

I have paired Monitor 9s (series 7) with Denon 1911 AVR and am keen now explore a stereo amp. Would the folks on this forum have an opinion on which stereo amp should I check out? I have heard NAD goes well with Paradigms while some people say Marantz makes them appear brighter. I am fine with a bright sound (though not on the lines of Klipsch).

Any suggestions?
post #23366 of 30680 Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishitiw View Post

I went through the dilemma of M9s vs. M7s (series 7). Ended up picking M9s for the following reasons:
  1. More detailed sounding than M7s
  2. Better/punchier bass
  3. I prefer the rule of getting a bigger speaker, if possible

very cool. thanks man!

-Matt
post #23367 of 30680 Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

I have paired Monitor 9s (series 7) with Denon 1911 AVR and am keen now explore a stereo amp. Would the folks on this forum have an opinion on which stereo amp should I check out? I have heard NAD goes well with Paradigms while some people say Marantz makes them appear brighter. I am fine with a bright sound (though not on the lines of Klipsch).

Any suggestions?

Do you mean instead of your Denon 1911? The 1911 does not have pre-outs, so you can't just add an amp, you'll need to entirely replace the entire AVR if you want an upgrade.

Marantz and Denon both use the same amp... they're both part of the same company. Very minor differences between them.

Onkyo AVRs have a more robust amplifier section than the Denons do, and otherwise similar features (not entirely, but you have to decide which features you want most). Or if you went with a Denon 3312 you could see how well that does for you, and add an external amplifier like an Emotiva, for instance, to have all the power you could want. Both Denon and Onkyo use Audyssey, considered the best room correction out there.
post #23368 of 30680 Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

SE Center vs. Center 3...

What are their manufacturer recommended sales prices?

I had thought the MSRPs in the US for the two are $499 and $599 respectively.
However, in Canada, I think the MSRPs are $649 and $619.

Is that correct?

BTW, I have room for either of these models. Which would you consider?

|
|
|
post #23369 of 30680 Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

SE is 2 db less sensitive, requiring 40 watts less power.
post #23370 of 30680 Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?

You need a big boy avr. I would look at the Denon 4311CI.. It has enough power not to need a external amp. If down the road you choose to add one, it has the ability to assign internal amps to whichever speakers you choose. Yamaha can't do this like the Denon can. It also has audyssey xt32 room correction. High quality avr that will fit your needs. What exactly is your budget for an avr?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page