Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 798 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 408Likes

post #23911 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I should have a dedicated theater room pretty soon and I'm looking at room treatments as well. Which areas did you treat? I know the first reflection points are the most important but not sure what else people are doing. I know the wall behind the fronts is important as well. I have heard different things about the back walls weather they should be treated with absorption or diffusion or just left alone. Just wondering what others are doing. If either one of you could post some pics that would be great. I'm trying to map the room out some to see what will be most effective. I know every room is different so I guess the best thing to do would be to get something for measurements like REW and use that to determine what areas have the biggest effect but I would like to see what others are coming up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Actually it would be nice to know where everyone else put their Acoustic Panels in their room!! I put mine on the side walls, behind my front speakers, in all the corners and also on the back wall! Put my Bass Absorbers in the corners of course!

I posted this in the "Acoustical Treatments Master Thread" yesterday.
Placement of treatments should follow the small room acoustics model you decide to follow.
We don't want to put too many porous absorbers thru the room, or it will not sound "live", appropriate placement guide below for those using the RFZ (reflection free zone) model.

Further, look at the link to see visually the various small room models, it's 7 pages from the book "Acoustics and Psychoacoustics Applied"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

btw, Low hanging fruit is very clear, it's been stated here and many-many other acoustic forums:

1) Pick RFZ zone as your small room acoustic model, it's the easiset for DIY (IMO); front sound stage specific ; I've not seen surrounds addressed specifically in the various small room acoustic model's ....
2) Broadband bass traps in corners, big ones if possible, 34" x 24" x 24" (use pink fluffy for that size). Soffit style on wall/ceiling is also.
Plan to cover them on room facing surface with thick kraft paper or 6mil plastic to reflect the mid-hi freq back into the room. Fabric cover over that.
3) Using mirror trick, plan where your side wall 1st reflection treatments could be
.....If you want to use measurement and verify exact placement, use ETC and the techniques discussed for ID/placement.
.....If not, using just mirror trick, you may over dampen slightly, or may not get all the reflection points, but definitley improvement will be heard (the 90/10 rule)
4) by the book for side wall treatments, 4" OC703 + 4" air gap is best to even absorption thru the freq spectrum 250hz and up, again 16" of space may not work for some, 2" + 2" air gap will leave some of the lower freq not addressed.
>>Trade off time for the customer to decide
5) Using mirror trick, plan where your ceiling 1st reflection treatments could be....same comments as 4) above.

Plan them
Build them
Hang them
Listen and enjoy them

Better is measurements, but many don't want to shell the $225 or so for measurement mic/gear and learn the software.
Not hard, but just one more thing in a busy life.

I see some are asking for a "Plan...do...check....act" cookbook approach.....

Looking at this link, everyone can see visually the various small room models, it's 7 pages from the book "Acoustics and Psychoacoustics Applied"
http://eetimes.com/design/audio-desi...n?pageNumber=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23912 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So they no longer sell the dome portion of the tweeter separately, so I have to buy the entire mid/tweet section for the cc690 for about $350. He also said they would sell me the beryllium tweeters if I wanted them for my 100s.
post #23913 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I have LCR Sig V1's
Anybody know if I can upgrade the tweeters to Be?

EDIT: Update from Paradigm, they say no.
post #23914 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

So they no longer sell the dome portion of the tweeter separately, so I have to buy the entire mid/tweet section for the cc690 for about $350. He also said they would sell me the beryllium tweeters if I wanted them for my 100s.

Nice, are you going to go for it? When I owned the 100's and 690 I seriously debated doing the same thing.
post #23915 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

Nice, are you going to go for it? When I owned the 100's and 690 I seriously debated doing the same thing.

Yeah I am, just sucks that I'll know the current crossover isn't the proper one for the beryllium tweeters. At least the mesh around the tweeter makes the upgrade appear to be a safety feature, lol
post #23916 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Today I went to a local Paradigm dealer in Calgary to order a new blu-ray player only to find they're closing their doors in two weeks. Calgary is down to one dealer with a single store - General Audio on Centre Street. What's unclear is who is going to sell the lower product lines because General Audio has only carried the Reference and Signature lines until now.

This might be an opportunity to get a good deal on their remaining inventory of Paradigm speakers.

Calgary's Soundsaround Closing For Good
http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsH...ngForGood.html
post #23917 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Hi guys I have a question -

I am getting a Monitor 11 set up and I am going to have front height and wide channels too. the highs are Atoms and the wides are Mini Monitors.

My question is regarding the driver, the Atoms match the Monitors 5.5" mid driver, while the Minis match the Monitors 6.5" woofer. Is this a good match or should the wides match the Monitor 11s mid driver instead of the woofer?
post #23918 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy_jonno View Post

Hi guys I have a question -

I am getting a Monitor 11 set up and I am going to have front height and wide channels too. the highs are Atoms and the wides are Mini Monitors.

My question is regarding the driver, the Atoms match the Monitors 5.5" mid driver, while the Minis match the Monitors 6.5" woofer. Is this a good match or should the wides match the Monitor 11s mid driver instead of the woofer?

I don't think it really matters. Highs as wides are just for effects. Not very crucial to your overall setup. I would be most concerned with the L/R/C.

post #23919 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post

Your top pic is V6, bottom is V7. A lot of folks think the V7 changes are worth the price increase, but the V6 is still an outstanding speaker.

-Matt

Thank you mgproudfit
I will try to find the V7 around here and check the prices and If I can't find them will just order the V6.

Would you recommend an amp for them?
I would like to complete the system with a Paradigm cherry bass?
post #23920 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

Today I went to a local Paradigm dealer in Calgary to order a new blu-ray player only to find they're closing their doors in two weeks. Calgary is down to one dealer with a single store - General Audio on Centre Street. What's unclear is who is going to sell the lower product lines because General Audio has only carried the Reference and Signature lines until now.

This might be an opportunity to get a good deal on their remaining inventory of Paradigm speakers.

Calgary's Soundsaround Closing For Good
http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsH...ngForGood.html

Do they carry the Sig line? I'm looking for a set of ADP 3's in cherry.
post #23921 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I don't think it really matters. Highs as wides are just for effects. Not very crucial to your overall setup. I would be most concerned with the L/R/C.

cool, thanks for your reply.
post #23922 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

Do they carry the Sig line? I'm looking for a set of ADP 3's in cherry.

Soundsaround doesn't carry the signature series.
post #23923 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

What size room is the listening area ?

The room is 14 x 23.

I think my post asking for opinions on the Cinema 5.1 system were lost in all the posts on punctuated tweeter domes.
post #23924 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

Soundsaround doesn't carry the signature series.

Thanks for the info.
post #23925 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 06:18 PM

I could use some feedback from some knowledgeable people.

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of Studio 100 V3 and a CC690 for a great price. I have a dedicated movie room of 13x16 with a 104 projection.
I will be replacing my front stage that is made up of Polk in walls LC265I and matching center. They sound good, but the Studio should e a big improvement.

Concern 1: I currently am using a Denon 2808CI which from what I read will struggle to drive the 100's. I'm thinking of bi-amp them for now with the 2808 and later adding a separate amp later. What do people think on here of using a Behringer pro amps? Do not want to spend more than $500 for a new amp if not needed.

Concern 2: My screen is on the 13 wall next to the door opening, so the speakers almost have to be a couple inches from the back wall and less than 12 inches from the side walls. I will toe them in, but concerned on their response being so close to the wall.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
post #23926 of 32213 Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Shot View Post

The room is 14 x 23.

I think my post asking for opinions on the Cinema 5.1 system were lost in all the posts on punctuated tweeter domes.

Ok. I haven't heard the Cinema setup so take this with a grain I salt. If it were me, this is my thoughts before I buy:

If you just want nice sound with movies and something better than the TV speakers it will probably be ok. If I'm dropping $1000, I want better than ok. The sats are kinda small and the sub only goes down to 32hz. That is a pretty good size room to fill. I have not heard it, so this is my speculation. If someone else has heard the cinema 100, please chime in.

I would probably buy mini or atom monitors and pair it with a center-1. Then buy a sub from someone like Hsu. I do believe the center is $350 and the minis are $500. You could go with atoms and they would give you a little more cash for the sub without going over your initial $1000. You could use almost anything for surrounds for now and upgrade them later. I don't feel they are that important. Or if you went with atoms or minis, you could move them to surrounds and upgrade to monitor towers later. You get the point.

I think you will be happier performance wise with both movies and music. But if aesthetics or the WAF is what counts, if I were buying a small sat/sub setup, it would be high on my list as long as you are ok with the price.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

post #23927 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteel View Post

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of Studio 100 V3 and a CC690 for a great price. I have a dedicated movie room of 13x16 with a 104” projection.
I will be replacing my front stage that is made up of Polk in walls LC265I and matching center. They sound good, but the Studio should e a big improvement.

Concern 1: I currently am using a Denon 2808CI which from what I read will struggle to drive the 100’s. I’m thinking of bi-amp them for now with the 2808 and later adding a separate amp later. What do people think on here of using a Behringer pro amps? Do not want to spend more than $500 for a new amp if not needed.

Concern 2: My screen is on the 13” wall next to the door opening, so the speakers almost have to be a couple inches from the back wall and less than 12 inches from the side walls. I will toe them in, but concerned on their response being so close to the wall.

The AVR-2808 thread has posts of people using 4 ohm speakers without issues. Like other large speakers they say studio 100's are 8 ohm compatible, but most vary down to 3 to 4 ohm at lower bass frequencies. No different then say a B&W 683/CM9 for example. The studio 100's are rated sensitivity 93db in room, 90db anechoic. This doesn't mean that it takes a powerful amp to drive them, just that because of their power rating of 230 watts input, you can drive them louder with a powerful amp. Your 2808 is rated at 110 watts/ch 8 ohm, 140 watts/ch 6 ohm should be fine considering only one watt produces approx 93 db at 1 meter in room. When your ready for a more powerful amp, these speakers will open up better dynamically.

There is no problem with the studio 100's fairly close to the wall, as there is no port on the rear like the studio 60's. The CC-690 does have two ports on the rear so try to have that a few inches away from the wall if you can.

Skip the bi-amp, not going to buy you anything.

Oppo Beta Group
post #23928 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of Studio 100 V3 and a CC690 for a great price. I have a dedicated movie room of 13x16 with a 104 projection.

Concern 1: I currently am using a Denon 2808CI which from what I read will struggle to drive the 100's. I'm thinking of bi-amp them for now with the 2808 and later adding a separate amp later. What do people think on here of using a Behringer pro amps? Do not want to spend more than $500 for a new amp if not needed.

Concern 2: My screen is on the 13 wall next to the door opening, so the speakers almost have to be a couple inches from the back wall and less than 12 inches from the side walls. I will toe them in, but concerned on their response being so close to the wall.

I don't know if Struggle is a proper word. I think people fail to realize that if they are going to step up to nice speakers, they should step up the equipment to drive them if it's questionable. They end up driving the receiver/amp so high that it begins to clip, damaging the speakers. It doesn't take a lot of wattage to drive the 100s for them to get loud.
post #23929 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. The Polks I'm driving are 4 ohms and have had no issue driving them hard, which I barely do. From the comments I'll not worry about getting them and up grade to seperate amps later in the future.

Thanks
post #23930 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I definitely need some better power in the room I have now. I'm not too worried about it because everything will soon be moved into a dedicated theater room, but for the past 6 years or so, the room I had my home theater system in, must be suffering from severe voltage drops. I'm driving my Paradigm Monitor 7 V3's with matching center and surrounds with a Marantz SR 7500 and whenever someone turns the lights on or off, or if I even change the input on my TV (go from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 for example) The sound will drop for a split second and the display on the Marantz will read "no audio." Then it'll come back on. This happens EVERY TIME I turn the lights on or off, the fan on or off, or turn anything on or off in the room. Before the Marantz, I had an Onkyo receiver (forget the model) and these voltage drops did it in. My Marantz seems to hold up stronger to this, but I still hate it and have no way around it really for the time being.

At least the theater room will have a dedicated circuit just for the receiver/future amp/amps.
post #23931 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Unlike the studios, the monitors are relatively efficient, correct? I am driving mine with a Denon 1910 and I was under the assumption that it had plenty of power for my monitor v6 setup since they are 8 ohm 94 db speakers. I am kinda torn right now between getting a new sub or a new receiver and a separate amp. I'm happy with the receiver and was leaning towards the new sub.

post #23932 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

The sound will drop for a split second and the display on the Marantz will read "no audio." Then it'll come back on. This happens EVERY TIME I turn the lights on or off, the fan on or off, or turn anything on or off in the room. Before the Marantz, I had an Onkyo receiver (forget the model) and these voltage drops did it in. My Marantz seems to hold up stronger to this, but I still hate it and have no way around it really for the time being.

Probably the improved power supply in the Marantz being able to operate for a second during a voltage drop, still that's a awful situation due to the room wiring and loading.

Quote:

At least the theater room will have a dedicated circuit just for the receiver/future amp/amps.

Should make quite a difference.

Oppo Beta Group
post #23933 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

I definitely need some better power in the room I have now. I'm not too worried about it because everything will soon be moved into a dedicated theater room, but for the past 6 years or so, the room I had my home theater system in, must be suffering from severe voltage drops. I'm driving my Paradigm Monitor 7 V3's with matching center and surrounds with a Marantz SR 7500 and whenever someone turns the lights on or off, or if I even change the input on my TV (go from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 for example) The sound will drop for a split second and the display on the Marantz will read "no audio." Then it'll come back on. This happens EVERY TIME I turn the lights on or off, the fan on or off, or turn anything on or off in the room. Before the Marantz, I had an Onkyo receiver (forget the model) and these voltage drops did it in. My Marantz seems to hold up stronger to this, but I still hate it and have no way around it really for the time being.

While a voltage drop is normal when high load or amperage equipment is turned on. What you have is not normal. You need to check the outlets first for good connections, or change them out. Then check your main for a good ground connection. Have an electrician over and do a check on both for you.

I had the same thing after redoing my house and it was the main. The ground, which probably hadn't been touched in 30 years, was loose.
post #23934 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

1. The 2808 should be fine in that sized room, bi-amping them shouldn't be needed but won't hurt. For $500 you might get more mileage out of adding a sub and crossing over your mains to it.

2. The closer to the corners you put speakers the more the bass is enhanced, Audyssey will be able to help compensate a bit. A good rule of thumb is you shouldn't have your tweeters the same distance from side walls as the back wall. Since you can't play with width, the only option you have is moving them forward/backward and toe-in.

The best way to postion your mains is to sit in the main listening position, put on a 2ch CD you're very familiar with, use pure direct and start experimenting with their placement . Try to get the best bass balance and imaging, you want it to almost sound like you've got headphones on at that postion. Then run Audyssey and you're good to go.

Assuming of course you can move them forward and not interfere with the line of sight to the screen, otherwise toe-in is your only option.
post #23935 of 32213 Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

But if aesthetics or the WAF is what counts, if I were buying a small sat/sub setup, it would be high on my list as long as you are ok with the price.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

Yes, aesthetics and looks are very important in the family room. For serious music listening and movie watching I have a separate home theater.

I am looking at both the Cinema Series and Millennia One Series. I listened to the Millennia One and liked it a lot, however, I'm not sure I want to spend almost $3K. The $1K price point of the Cinema Series is obviously much more attractive.
post #23936 of 32213 Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 AM

Hello everyone.

Could someone give me some amp suggestions to pair with Atom Monitor V6?
This is going to me my first amp and passive speakers ever so still quite lost, read a lot but still a lot to choose from and I don't have local shops to audition (live in a island :s)

Thanks...
post #23937 of 32213 Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post

Hello everyone.

Could someone give me some amp suggestions to pair with Atom Monitor V6?
This is going to me my first amp and passive speakers ever so still quite lost, read a lot but still a lot to choose from and I don't have local shops to audition (live in a island :s)

Thanks...

There is a lot we don't know like your budget, and if you meant an AVR or Amp? If you are looking for a AVR I like the Denon 3312 and if you are looking for an Amp I like Emotiva for the price and would take a hard look at the XPA-5.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #23938 of 32213 Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

There is a lot we don't know like your budget, and if you meant an AVR or Amp? If you are looking for a AVR I like the Denon 3312 and if you are looking for an Amp I like Emotiva for the price and would take a hard look at the XPA-5.

Yes, sorry about that, I did post all that info but into another section and totally forgot to mention it here

Budget is around 600€ for speakers and stereo amp, 2.0 setup, might add sub sometime but not soon.
I was thinking pairing Yamaha AS500 with Atom Monitor but haven't seen that combo or heard of from owners...

Thank you again
post #23939 of 32213 Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Shot View Post

Hello, first post on this forum.

I am looking for a 5.1 speaker system in the $1K range for my family room. Display will be a 50" Pioneer Kuro, and a Pioneer Elite AVR will drive the speakers. This will be used for general television watching, sports, possibly a movie on a rare occasion, and daily music via airplay.

What do you guys think of the Cinema 100 series?
http://www.paradigm.com/products/pro.../cinema-series

Quote:

Ok. I haven't heard the Cinema setup so take this with a grain I salt. If it were me, this is my thoughts before I buy:

If you just want nice sound with movies and something better than the TV speakers it will probably be ok. If I'm dropping $1000, I want better than ok. The sats are kinda small and the sub only goes down to 32hz. That is a pretty good size room to fill. I have not heard it, so this is my speculation. If someone else has heard the cinema 100, please chime in.

I would probably buy mini or atom monitors and pair it with a center-1. Then buy a sub from someone like Hsu. I do believe the center is $350 and the minis are $500. You could go with atoms and they would give you a little more cash for the sub without going over your initial $1000. You could use almost anything for surrounds for now and upgrade them later. I don't feel they are that important. Or if you went with atoms or minis, you could move them to surrounds and upgrade to monitor towers later. You get the point.

I think you will be happier performance wise with both movies and music. But if aesthetics or the WAF is what counts, if I were buying a small sat/sub setup, it would be high on my list as long as you are ok with the price.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

I went and listened to the new Cinema series a month or so ago. The sales rep also showed me the Millenia series.

As some background, I really have my eyes set on Studios, but I was looking for something as a stop gap to listen to some music and watch tv/movies that I could eventually shift to another area if/when I purchase some floor-standing speakers (that's an entirely different post).

Anyway, I agree that for the money the Millenia series doesn't seem like the best value. If you're pressed for space and want a good sounding set of speakers than sure you're good. Within your $1k budget I thought the Cinema sounded good as well (with the .1), but then as we moved to the 200s and the 400s I quickly found the 100s lacking. You could always opt for a 200 as the Center and/or the LR as well. However, the 200s and 400s require wall mounting (I believe the bracket is included) and can't be placed on stands unlike the previous Cinema series.

Maybe look at some of the Monitor series to blend in? Does anybody have some thoughts on how a Mini Monitor, CC-190 (v7s) and Cinema 100s (v4s) as surrounds would work out?

Not trying to dissuade you from getting the Cinemas, but I feel like somebody would buy them and then almost immediately be itching to get something more.
post #23940 of 32213 Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I have been looking at the milennia 20's, basic quick question, whilst i look through the thread?

Are they any good?

Easy see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page