33Likes

post #24481 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Check the Amplifier FAQ sticky thread, there's a formula there for figuring out how much power you need.

Basically, things like listening distance, room size, speaker efficiency and listening habits all come into play in answering your question.

Generally though 100w/ch should be more than fine in most circumstances.

I'll have a look, I remember reading the thread some time back but now with some specifics it may be more relevent.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24482 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

If its made of the same crappy plastic, I would use S1s instead. If you listen to any multi channel stereo or 5.1 music,those adp's will be a serious let down.
.... I don't understand why adp's cabinets aren't made of wood. The insane price they expect us to pay for that crappy cabinet on the adp is what blows me away.

Well no doubt it's to cut costs, but because something is plastic doesn't automatically make it crap.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that with the plastics of today, you might be able to create a better "acoustically" designed enclosure than with wood. Computer modelled to reduce resonance, maximize/enhance dispertion then injection moulded for a pretty consistent product.

You can make plastic to pretty much any density & rigidity now, so I wouldn't be surprised if a plastic cabinet could be made to perform like the S1's all-aluminum cabinet.
post #24483 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have 590's. They have plastic casing. But they are very heavy for their size and clearly solidly made. They are bipolar - so I'm not sure they are the best for multichannel music. I think bp design is mainly for surround effects.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #24484 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie ford View Post

Hello all.

I am considering a used pair of Studio 100 v3's for 2 channel music listening.

Musical tastes range from jam band to jazz to classical.

My concern is whether or not my Pioneer VSX-23 (7.1 a/v reciever with 100 WPC) will be enough to drive them. I don't anticipate running anymore than one set of patio speakers at them same time and would more than likely be just powering the Studio's when doing any critical listening.

Thanks for any and all help/sugestions.

No the pioneer doesn't have the jam. I have a mrx 700 and studio 60s and when I want to do 2 channel and turn it up the amp struggles to deliver

Just add a 2 channel power amp and you'll be fine
post #24485 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Well no doubt it's to cut costs, but because something is plastic doesn't automatically make it crap.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that with the plastics of today, you might be able to create a better "acoustically" designed enclosure than with wood. Computer modelled to reduce resonance, maximize/enhance dispertion then injection moulded for a pretty consistent product.

You can make plastic to pretty much any density & rigidity now, so I wouldn't be surprised if a plastic cabinet could be made to perform like the S1's all-aluminum cabinet.

I cant say i agree here, but i have to ask, have you heard the difference between a adp590 and a studio 10? Especially at the same power level? They resonate and distort whether they are playing surround or music at nominal listening levels. The 7 inch woofer is the cause of it.

How much are adp590s again? much are studio 10s? How does paradigm price the adp590 at $800 a pop? Paradigm is making a killing off the cost vs msrp on them.

The 10s are made from wood not plastic and easily outperform the plastic adp's. I know plastics quite well and the density of the plastic paradigm uses isn't exactly stellar. You can tune a plastic enclosure for removal internal resonance. What you can't do is remove distortion and outside flex from the drivers. Even plastic bracing has its limitations.

When I see plastic speakers with acoustic chambers, I automatically think Bose... And we all know how good those sound right?
post #24486 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 PM

ADP's and direct firing speakers like the 10's fit in completely different room's.

Simple examples;

Big room where the distance between the back wall and side walls is somewhat equal to or greater than the viewing distance, you're better off with direct speakers.

Small room where the side walls and back wall are closer than the viewing distance, ADP's work better due to sonic reflection.

I have a small room and the reflection really works well, especially on my front highs, 9.2 setup. The sound in non directional and gives you the impression it's coming from a particular direction but not directly from the speaker.

Big rooms with ADP's create an echo effect that is not preferable, hence direct firing speakers yield much better sonic clarity at the listening position.

And yes, it works wonderfully for multichannel music in my small room.
post #24487 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

But I do agree, the ADP's are not as pretty as the 10's and 20's. I wish the ADP's came in matching colors.

In my small room, I had no choice. Direct firing speakers would have been hard to fit and would have created a very small optimal position.
post #24488 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

Nice set up Tank. That's my dream set up. Any pics at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I have a few -- I'll try to post some in a bit.

Here are a few from early on that aren't a total mess. Don't have the TV setup in all of them. The other ADP is on the far side of the couch & Sub 1 is over near the far wall. Yes, I know my pictures are crooked.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #24489 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlsu View Post

ADP's and direct firing speakers like the 10's fit in completely different room's.

Simple examples;

Big room where the distance between the back wall and side walls is somewhat equal to or greater than the viewing distance, you're better off with direct speakers.

Small room where the side walls and back wall are closer than the viewing distance, ADP's work better due to sonic reflection.

I have a small room and the reflection really works well, especially on my front highs, 9.2 setup. The sound in non directional and gives you the impression it's coming from a particular direction but not directly from the speaker.

Big rooms with ADP's create an echo effect that is not preferable, hence direct firing speakers yield much better sonic clarity at the listening position.

And yes, it works wonderfully for multichannel music in my small room.

I understand their use in small room because of furniture that's butted up against walls and such. I think they could of used wood and met the same target weight is all.

Perhaps you do not listen at the same levels I do, but i can shake the **** out of the adp's and make them distort. Recently they have had some issues with the drivers being jacked up as well.
post #24490 of 30648 Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I cant say i agree here, but i have to ask, have you heard the difference between a adp590 and a studio 10? Especially at the same power level? They resonate and distort whether they are playing surround or music at nominal listening levels. The 7 inch woofer is the cause of it.

How much are adp590s again? much are studio 10s? How does paradigm price the adp590 at $800 a pop? Paradigm is making a killing off the cost vs msrp on them.

The 10s are made from wood not plastic and easily outperform the plastic adp's. I know plastics quite well and the density of the plastic paradigm uses isn't exactly stellar. You can tune a plastic enclosure for removal internal resonance. What you can't do is remove distortion and outside flex from the drivers. Even plastic bracing has its limitations.

When I see plastic speakers with acoustic chambers, I automatically think Bose... And we all know how good those sound right?

Good question, how much is a pair of 10s?
post #24491 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:

I understand their use in small room because of furniture that's butted up against walls and such. I think they could of used wood and met the same target weight is all.

Perhaps you do not listen at the same levels I do, but i can shake the **** out of the adp's and make them distort. Recently they have had some issues with the drivers being jacked up as well.

I would contact Paradigm/retailer if you are having that big of problem with your adp. I listen fairly loudly, in a large room, and haven't experienced any of this. Have mine crossed at 80hz. I listen to surround music, and movies, and couldn't be happier. I think a vast improvement to the direct/adp setup I was using, now adp/adp

I don't know much about plastic, but I do know that slot of time/money/research goes in to each product digm makes, so I trust their judgement on plastic over wood.
post #24492 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What is this about wood? Do you thing 60's and 100's are made of wood? They typically use MDF and now use cheap vinyl veneer (unless you pay extra for the piano black) instead of wood veneer. I suspect the ADP's have similar construction underneath the plastic "veneer". The 590's are very heavy. Plastic isn't that heavy. Unless they just put a few bricks inside for effect, the construction is substantial.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #24493 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Better than you'd think for small plastic cubes, and something you couldn't emulate with wood. They get a really bad rap here, and it's mostly value for dollar where Bose craps the bed, but I've had them in my home and their actual performance isn't massively worse or better than most sub-sat systems I've heard.
You can make speaker cabinets out of virtually anything, or nothing, as in open baffle speakers. All I'm saying is the cabinet material can be engineered to taste, and that plastic is not an automatic indicator of lack of quality.
post #24494 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can tune a plastic enclosure for removal internal resonance. What you can't do is remove distortion and outside flex from the drivers. Even plastic bracing has its limitations.

Right, so the drivers are the problem then not the plastic cabinet?

I haven't heard the ADP590, but that's not relevant to my point. I wasn't saying it would be better than the S1's or Studio 10's...
post #24495 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 23
The studio 100s, 60s, 20s and 10's are mdf with a real wood veneer and not a vinyl veneer
post #24496 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 23
I believe the studio's have 7 coats of lacquer and hand sanded 6 times between coats. The rosenuts have a smooth finish and the plain black has a grainy look and feel to them. A vinyl wrap would not produce this effect. Take a micro cloth and it will glide over the rosenut but will catch on the standard black.
post #24497 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iccy View Post

Good question, how much is a pair of 10s?

Msrp went up a little bit, but they used to be $399 each, but I was able to get my pair for 700 jalapeños, you get a pair of 10s for the price of one adp590
post #24498 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just ran PBK on my Sub 25 (along with ARC on my new MRX700)......WOW. Just WOW.

Can I say WOW again?

I only had a chance to demo a few scenes of Tron Legacy before going into work, but it was an experience that bordered on religious in it's own audio meaning. I don't even know how to put into words the new sensation (and new it was, never have I felt the air being energized like this in my room before) that was experienced during "The Grid" scene. I am still somewhat speechless while I am sitting at work typing this.

Definitely going to go home and hook this thing up to it's own dedicated 110v/15amp outlet so it doesn't have to share power with my receiver and projector.
post #24499 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Just ran PBK on my Sub 25 (along with ARC on my new MRX700)......WOW. Just WOW.

Can I say WOW again?

I only had a chance to demo a few scenes of Tron Legacy before going into work, but it was an experience that bordered on religious in it's own audio meaning. I don't even know how to put into words the new sensation (and new it was, never have I felt the air being energized like this in my room before) that was experienced during "The Grid" scene. I am still somewhat speechless while I am sitting at work typing this.

Definitely going to go home and hook this thing up to it's own dedicated 110v/15amp outlet so it doesn't have to share power with my receiver and projector.

BCJ are you done upgrading for a while. Just go home an enjoy
post #24500 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

BCJ are you done upgrading for a while. Just go home an enjoy

lol, for the price I got this Sub 25 for I couldn't help but upgrade. Once I sell my Integra DTR-70.3 (which is currently listed on the classifieds) I will have only paid $300-400 out of pocket for this *upgrade*

Not bad if I say so myself. But yes, I am enjoying (well, will be once I am off work).
post #24501 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

This is something I need to do but don't have available. Well, that ore a 240v. But before all of that, I need to upgrade my box and get a new line from the street.
post #24502 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lol, for the price I got this Sub 25 for I couldn't help but upgrade. Once I sell my Integra DTR-70.3 (which is currently listed on the classifieds) I will have only paid $300-400 out of pocket for this *upgrade*

Not bad if I say so myself. But yes, I am enjoying (well, will be once I am off work).

In your opinion does PBK make a big difference with any sub or just the higher end subs? I don't know much about this subject.
post #24503 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In your opinion does PBK make a big difference with any sub or just the higher end subs? I don't know much about this subject.

Even on my DSP and Monitor SUB's of past, it made a pretty significant difference on it's own: coupled with something like ARC or Audyssey, it's even that much better of an end result
post #24504 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

This is something I need to do but don't have available. Well, that ore a 240v. But before all of that, I need to upgrade my box and get a new line from the street.

I was actually just told otherwise that hooking the subwoofer up to it's own 110v circuit will not make a difference, plus leaving it plugged into the same circuit as my components will help eliminate potential ground loop problems.

FYI.
post #24505 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was actually just told otherwise that hooking the subwoofer up to it's own 110v circuit will not make a difference, plus leaving it plugged into the same circuit as my components will help eliminate potential ground loop problems.

FYI.

Well in truth it's like eveything else, it depends on a whole lot of factors like room size, listening distance and volume you listen to etc...
But in general that's reasonable advice.
Ground loops aren't all that common, so it wouldn't hurt to try a different circuit if it's convenient.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go to 240v though. When their literature states "maximum continuous volume" it's not really indicative of real world application. No one would listen to 9hz at 125db for any prolonged amount of time... you'd puke... then you'd go deaf...

My room is 14' x 24' with a large opening on one side and I've got everything on the same circuit, my amps total 2250w (3750w if I include the sub) with no issue.
post #24506 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Even on my DSP and Monitor SUB's of past, it made a pretty significant difference on it's own: coupled with something like ARC or Audyssey, it's even that much better of an end result

When I use my PBK on my DSP subs it's seems to tame them low too much and it seems to lose its punch! When I take the PBK measurement out of the sub it seems to get my subs alive and have more impact!!!! I think I might be missing something but I paid 100 bucks for my PBK and don't like the results it gives me!! Anything I am missing would be greatly appreciated!
post #24507 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Random question from a random Dude.
I'm getting Monitor 9's, Center 3 and Atoms very shortly *crosses fingers*. I am wondering if a break-in period is recommended. If so, how long and what type of source? Will my ipod on random be enough?
Thank You!
post #24508 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post

Random question from a random Dude.
I'm getting Monitor 9's, Center 3 and Atoms very shortly *crosses fingers*. I am wondering if a break-in period is recommended. If so, how long and what type of source? Will my ipod on random be enough?
Thank You!

You'll probably get a bunch of opinions on this subject. When I purchased mine several months back I was told/read everything from 4 hours to 40 hours. I don't think the source matters but you should break them in. I listened to my set- up for several hours at a moderate volume and then I left the system on over night at a slightly lower volume. Sorry I can not give a more definite answer, but maybe someone else will give some advice based on some facts. BTW the owners manual states several hours before critical listening.
post #24509 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You'll probably get a bunch of opinions on this subject. When I purchased mine several months back I was told/read everything from 4 hours to 40 hours. I don't think the source matters but you should break them in. I listened to my set- up for several hours at a moderate volume and then I left the system on over night at a slightly lower volume. Sorry I can give a more definite answer, but maybe someone else will give some advice based on some facts. BTW the owners manual states several hours before critical listening.

Thank you!
I don't think the excitement will reign me in but I don't want to wreck them either. I believe I read here somewhere that 8 hours was essential. Your reply helps me confirm that a break in should be done.
After connecting everything, I'll leave the house for a while with music playing.
Again, thank you!
post #24510 of 30648 Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 12
I finally made the jump to the Signature line! This past Tuesday started like a normal work day but an ad on CAM for a pair of v2 S4s and a C3 finished in Cherry caught my eye. As it turns out an installer had these speakers sitting in his warehouse area in their original packaging after to a change of plans during a HT installation a couple of years ago. I made it to his business just after lunch and was pleasantly surprised - these speakers had not been used and even looked brand new. After making sure everything was in working order we boxed them up and I was on my way home. I can't believe the difference over my v4 Studio 40s and CC590. The sound is more detailed and the clarity is amazing - not to mention they look spectacular. The sound for both music and HT are improved. I didn't expect a noticeable improvement for HT but we have watched a couple of HD cable shows and in certain situations like glass shattering or water dripping in a warehouse the sound is more life-like. I haven't stopped smiling yet.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page