post #24661 of 30702 Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

I had Khorns before and I really liked them. I love the copper color on the drivers too. You did very well making that stand. I'm not talented with wood work, but then Again, I've never really tried or invested in the equipment. May be something I'll look into now. Supposedly the new studio line is coming out shortly, so you may be able to find a nice deal for the V5's from a local dealer.

Cool... although I'm thinking my timeline on that is easily a year. Just bought this house 6 months ago and have sunk all spare funds into fixing things up, and there's still a ways to go with that before I can start pouring a few thousand into replacing speakers that work perfectly well as they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24662 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
New Signature Sub 2 review at Audioholics

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #24663 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I am using a shelf above the TV. I bought two short shelf wall supports and bolted them to the TV Mount holes on the back of the TV. I then used two of the triangle brackets and a shelf board. I put my speaker at the front of the shelf (towards the front of the TV). Works great.

That's a pretty clever idea. Although, I would think that it would make the TV a bit top heavy & tippy. Is the TV anchored?

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #24664 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I'm guessing you're referring to the Standout Designs stands? Excellent stands, but wow, pricey.

But they're one of the very few companies that actually make stands with audio in mind, and support larger center channels. So I made my own, copying their design. A lot of work, but I'm out of pocket roughly $300 in materials, which is far more reasonable for a TV stand, IMO.

Wow great rigs! Nice set up man. I imagine you cry everytime you have to leave home. enjoy!
post #24665 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watthead View Post

Wow great rigs! Nice set up man. I imagine you cry everytime you have to leave home. enjoy!

No, just every time I have watch a movie on a friend's lesser system.

Thanks!
post #24666 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Hello All.

I've been trying to get clarification from Paradigm Support regarding the Studio CC-690's crossover points and what frequency range the "mid/woofer" covers, but I keep getting responses that don't make sense (to me).

The question that I posted to their support was:

The website clearly states the crossover points are 3 kHz, and 500 Hz.

What the website does not clearly state is:
1) how the "mid/woofer" drivers compare to the mid driver (the driver below the tweeter), and
2) how the "mid/woofer" drivers compare to the outer woofers drivers

If the CC-690 is just a 3-way speaker with only two crossover points, then that would imply either:
a) the two "mid/woofer" drivers operate exactly as the center midrange driver, or
b) the two "mid/woofer" drivers operate exactly as the outer woofers

What role do the "mid/woofer" drivers (ie: the two 7 inch S-PAL cones) perform?

Can you confirm that the CC-690 is not a 3.5-way like the Signature C5?

Paradigm's Response:

Hello!
The 690 is a 3.5 way model. The bass woofers cross over at 500hz and the mid woofer run from 500-3khz. The mid/tweeter assembly operates from 3khz - 22khz.
Cheers!

(Note that this was the second communiqué. The response to my first question just re-iterated what I already knew from the CC-690's specs page. Suffice it to say, I'm a little bewildered with the responses).

Support's latest response implies that the mid (below the tweeter) starts at 3kHz and goes up. Yet the range for the mid is usually:
Code:
Studio CC-490:  500 - 2.1 kHz
Studio CC-590:  400 - 2.5 kHz
Studio 60:      500 - 2.0 kHz
Studio 100:     300 - 2.0 kHz;
Studio ADP-590: 300 - 2.1 kHz
Signature C5:   500 - 2.1 kHz
If the Studio CC-690 is like the Signature C5, then I would have expected an additional crossover.

Based on the C5's specs page, my assumption is that the "woofer/mid" operate from 43 - 600Hz, and the outer woofers purpose is to reinforce the woofer/mid from 43 - 350Hz (hence the .5 in 3.5-way).

Is there anyone out that who can explain it to me?

Cheers

I love my C-spot vibrator. (that's C ... as in cochlea)
Lower ... deeper ... sharper ... harder ... Owh Yeahhh.

post #24667 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished hanging a Sig ADP3 on the wall! Beautiful in piano black. Picked up 6 new Paradigms- 2 Sig APD3's, and 4 Sig S1's. These will be side, rear, and height in a new system. Can't wait to get the whole system up, but I'm a few days and a few cables away.....

Just a few tips and thoughts for anyone wall mounting an ADP3. Might also apply to the Studio ADP-590. Paradigm includes a mounting template for the ADP3. It's simply incorrect! The distance of the mounting plate and connection cavity from the top of the speaker differs from what is shown on the template. Luckily I discovered this before mounting. For many, it will not be critical, but those who desire a precise mounting position will want to double check this. They also include a safety cable, but it's so short, I cannot imagine anyone actually using it.

It may be necessary for some to slightly bend the mounting plate/arms outward. I had to do this just a bit. Before, even when pressed flat against the wall, the 2 opposing plates would not grab each other. Don't be afraid to take a flat head screwdriver and bend them out just a tiny bit. After a few failed attempts, this made all the difference! I was tired too -standing on top of a ladder holding a 26 lb. speaker over my head. Another suggestion- place a piece of tape vertically on the wall to mark the center of the mounting plate, and do the same on the speaker. This will greatly help your alignment when placing the speaker on it's mount. Also, measure and mark on the wall where the bottom of the speaker should be when fully seated in the mounting plate. This will let you know when the speaker is fully inserted into the plate.

I've spent quite some time listening to just a single ADP3, and it's impressive. Standing in the null is amazing. This is a small sweet spot though. When outside the null, the sound is much more localized. I suspect many, if not most, are not precisely positioned in the null. I know I won't be.

The S1's are fantastic for their size. Great clarity and detail. Been listening to Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night"- solo (acoustic) Baritone guitar. These speakers shine with music like this. Those Beryllium tweets let you hear every nuance of attack. It's like they were made for music like this. The S1's are a little more challenged with thicker and bassier recordings, still nice though.... They'll be perfect for my application.
post #24668 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Just finished hanging a Sig ADP3 on the wall! Beautiful in piano black. Picked up 6 new Paradigms- 2 Sig APD3's, and 4 Sig S1's. These will be side, rear, and height in a new system. Can't wait to get the whole system up, but I'm a few days and a few cables away.....

Just a few tips and thoughts for anyone wall mounting an ADP3. Might also apply to the Studio ADP-590. Paradigm includes a mounting template for the ADP3. It's simply incorrect! The distance of the mounting plate and connection cavity from the top of the speaker differs from what is shown on the template. Luckily I discovered this before mounting. For many, it will not be critical, but those who desire a precise mounting position will want to double check this. They also include a safety cable, but it's so short, I cannot imagine anyone actually using it.

It may be necessary for some to slightly bend the mounting plate/arms outward. I had to do this just a bit. Before, even when pressed flat against the wall, the 2 opposing plates would not grab each other. Don't be afraid to take a flat head screwdriver and bend them out just a tiny bit. After a few failed attempts, this made all the difference! I was tired too -standing on top of a ladder holding a 26 lb. speaker over my head. Another suggestion- place a piece of tape vertically on the wall to mark the center of the mounting plate, and do the same on the speaker. This will greatly help your alignment when placing the speaker on it's mount. Also, measure and mark on the wall where the bottom of the speaker should be when fully seated in the mounting plate. This will let you know when the speaker is fully inserted into the plate.

I've spent quite some time listening to just a single ADP3, and it's impressive. Standing in the null is amazing. This is a small sweet spot though. When outside the null, the sound is much more localized. I suspect many, if not most, are not precisely positioned in the null. I know I won't be.

The S1's are fantastic for their size. Great clarity and detail. Been listening to Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night"- solo (acoustic) Baritone guitar. These speakers shine with music like this. Those Beryllium tweets let you hear every nuance of attack. It's like they were made for music like this. The S1's are a little more challenged with thicker and bassier recordings, still nice though.... They'll be perfect for my application.

What are you using for wall mounts for the S1's?

I've had trouble finding suitable brackets as the speakers are curved on all surfaces.
post #24669 of 30702 Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

What are you using for wall mounts for the S1's?

I've had trouble finding suitable brackets as the speakers are curved on all surfaces.

Interesting question. I've spoken with Paradigm about this, and they do not make a wall mount for these speakers. They told me they are intended to be shelf mounted or used on stands. It strikes me as odd because the speakers have 2 threaded holes, and could easily accept a wall mount.

In my case, I have an elevated, built-in shelf that goes around the room, so I don't necessarily need mounts. I would like to have them though, as that would allow me to aim the speakers down at my listening position. I have looked online for a long time, and the most promising idea I have is these:

Vantage Point Mounts

If you download the instructions and spec sheet, you'll see they can be configured in ways not shown in the photo. To be clear, I have not used these, so I cannot guarantee they will work. Seems like the spacing fits the hole spacing on the back of the S1's. Another option is to take a thick piece of metal "strip", and bend it to the desired angle, and drill some holes. Once painted, this can look quite professional. I've done this before, and it looks nice.

I do find it odd that although these speakers have threaded holes in the back, Paradigm offers no mounting option for them.
post #24670 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Interesting question. I've spoken with Paradigm about this, and they do not make a wall mount for these speakers. They told me they are intended to be shelf mounted or used on stands. It strikes me as odd because the speakers have 2 threaded holes, and could easily accept a wall mount.

In my case, I have an elevated, built-in shelf that goes around the room, so I don't necessarily need mounts. I would like to have them though, as that would allow me to aim the speakers down at my listening position. I have looked online for a long time, and the most promising idea I have is these:

Vantage Point Mounts

If you download the instructions and spec sheet, you'll see they can be configured in ways not shown in the photo. To be clear, I have not used these, so I cannot guarantee they will work. Seems like the spacing fits the hole spacing on the back of the S1's. Another option is to take a thick piece of metal "strip", and bend it to the desired angle, and drill some holes. Once painted, this can look quite professional. I've done this before, and it looks nice.

I do find it odd that although these speakers have threaded holes in the back, Paradigm offers no mounting option for them.

I believe the threaded holes are where the GS-30 stand mounts to the S1. The same stand is used to mount the ADP1, which are threaded on the back for both wall / stand mounting. Then again, the ADP3 doesn't mount to the J29 stand -- it is just placed on top.
post #24671 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I believe the threaded holes are where the GS-30 stand mounts to the S1. ....

Correct. Paradigm confirms this.
post #24672 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any ideas where I could get a replacement grill for an ADP-350 and anyone have good ideas on wall mounts or stands for them?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #24673 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

I'm auditioning a lot of speakers right now, and the Paradigm Studios are on my short-list. Given that this will be a home theater oriented system, and I'm running a HSU VTF-3 MKIII, is it worth it to go for the Studio 20? or will the Studio 10 suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

I'm auditioning a lot of speakers right now, and the Paradigm Studios are on my short-list. Given that this will be a home theater oriented system, and I'm running a HSU VTF-3 MKIII, is it worth it to go for the Studio 20? or will the Studio 10 suffice?

I run Studio 10's as my mains, powered by a 100 watt Adcom GFA-6000 amp and crossed over to a Hsu VTF-3 Mk III at 100 Hz. My room is quite large -- 23' x 13' x 8', and the rear opens up to a large kitchen.

I have to say that I really love my setup. It just sounds... "right". If there's one thing I do question from time to time, it's the upper bass / lower midrange. Sometimes I wonder if it's just a tad "thin" in that range. I have nothing to compare it to so who knows. By no means does it sound bad; it just makes me wonder if a Studio 20 would provide a touch more fullness in that range.

Anyway, ask your dealer if you can take a pair home for the weekend to demo. Mine let me, and I knew as soon as I turned them on that I'd be buying a set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1tOgA4DYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnepgJ59nM8

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #24674 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
I'm about to lose my man cave and move into a smaller apt for a few years while we save for a down payment.

Current system is
studio 40 v3 mains
studio 20 v4 surrounds
cc-470 v3 center
15 inch velodyne sub (Servo 15 I think?)
Denon AVR-991

So firstly...anyone have any experience with the milleniaone's as surrounds? Anything bigger just isn't going to fly, they need to be wall mounted right above the couch. Is their quality/clarity/timbre generally comparable to the studios?

Next...if you had to choose, which would you keep for the mains, the studio 40, or the smaller but newer studio 20? Both are crossed over at 80hz.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #24675 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It has finally gotten warm enough for me to go out in the yard and enjoy my outdoor SM-370's. I must say they are quite impressive. I thought I might regret not getting the larger 470's, but that would have been over kill for my yard. If I really cranked my 370's my neighbors would certainly call the police and I about 70' from my closest neighbor. The good thing is I don't need to turn them up loud to enjoy them. I have to say I am extremely happy with my purchase.the Kicker iPod dock that has been replaced was no slouch, but also no comparison. I should have done this in the first place. One other benefit is I no longer have to drag the dock out here, I simply just grab my iPad, turn on my Yamaha 2010,select a source and let the music begin. You gotta love technology!
post #24676 of 30702 Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Hello fellow paradigm friends. I have been reading lots on this forum and when i had some time off around xmas decided that a new HT was my present to myself. I Ended up getting a sharp LC-70LE734U. Of course with a big new tv a stereo was needed. I went with paradigm over the klipsch i thought i wanted (old man told me to look at them) glad i did. Im running a Yamaha RX-A810 AVR, Moniter 9 v6 floors, cc 290 v6, Mini Mon's v6 and a moniter 12 sub. Loving the sound as i do a lot of 2 channel music listening. One question though. I found a set of Moniter 11's v6 for sale and was thinking about adding them to my current setup. Any reasons i should or shouldnt? I realize there not matched but there not far from. Thanks
post #24677 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreedx View Post

Hello fellow paradigm friends. I have been reading lots on this forum and when i had some time off around xmas decided that a new HT was my present to myself. I Ended up getting a sharp LC-70LE734U. Of course with a big new tv a stereo was needed. I went with paradigm over the klipsch i thought i wanted (old man told me to look at them) glad i did. Im running a Yamaha RX-A810 AVR, Moniter 9 v6 floors, cc 290 v6, Mini Mon's v6 and a moniter 12 sub. Loving the sound as i do a lot of 2 channel music listening. One question though. I found a set of Moniter 11's v6 for sale and was thinking about adding them to my current setup. Any reasons i should or shouldnt? I realize there not matched but there not far from. Thanks

What do you plan to do with them? Second zone or 7.1?
post #24678 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM

Anyone familiar with Paradigm release cycles? Who has the inside scoop on when to expect Monitor v8 to arrive?
post #24679 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For the most part speakers aren't like electronics. There usually isn't a new model each year. The v7 was just released last year.

post #24680 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The next cycle I believe are the studios going to v6 either by fall or early 2013 by a report a few months ago in this thread. I'm hoping be tweeters make it down the line but it's doubtful.
post #24681 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM

ahh makes sense.

So I'm deciding between the Mini Monitor or the Monitor Atom's.

Room is about 17x12, sitting about 8-9 feet from the speakers. Ceiling is 10 feet. Lots of furniture in the living room.

Denon 1612 is powering them.

The Mini Monitors are stretching my budget (Max $500), so I'm not sure if they are really worth it for my situation.

Thoughts?
post #24682 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

The next cycle I believe are the studios going to v6 either by fall or early 2013 by a report a few months ago in this thread. I'm hoping be tweeters make it down the line but it's doubtful.

This is very interesting. I am looking forward to this for sure.
post #24683 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Has anybody got or heard the millenia ADPs? More so made a comparison to the ADP-390s? Are they worth to upgrade on my laybuy? I have monitor line on layby and I am considering updating everything to the SE line
post #24684 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM

7.1 but was wondering if i could run 2 sets of towers up front that would both run when im using 2channel. Want them more for music than HT.
post #24685 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM

I'm considering the Studio 60s, CC-490/590, and ADP-590 surrounds. My room is about 15'x25' with 9 foot ceilings. 80% HT, 20% music and I won't be able to use them too loud because of an open staircase and my wife & young kids.

What type of a sub would you guys recommend?

Is the studio sub 12 over kill? Or would I be better off getting a lower priced sub from the monitor series or something by SVS?

Thanks!
post #24686 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyKelowna View Post

I'm considering the Studio 60s, CC-490/590, and ADP-590 surrounds. My room is about 15'x25' with 9 foot ceilings. 80% HT, 20% music and I won't be able to use them too loud because of an open staircase and my wife & young kids.

What type of a sub would you guys recommend?

Is the studio sub 12 over kill? Or would I be better off getting a lower priced sub from the monitor series or something by SVS?

Thanks!

The studio sub 12 would work nicely. Since your setup will be primarily HT go with the 590. The 490 is too small for that room.
post #24687 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Speakers:
Paradigm Studio 100s
Paradigm CC590
Paradigm Studio SUB12
Paradigm Studio 10s

AV Gear:
Marantz AV7005 Audio Video Pre-Processor
Marantz MM7055 5-channel Power Amplifier

Any issue with the above setup?

My room is 14x20 with 10 foot ceilings.

Any pointers or tweaks appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
post #24688 of 30702 Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreedx View Post

7.1 but was wondering if i could run 2 sets of towers up front that would both run when im using 2channel. Want them more for music than HT.

As far as I know, when I run my Yamaha 2010 in 2 channel only the front mains and the sub are active. In puredirect only the mains are active with no sub. BTW, the 9's sound quite good without the sub. Hope this helps, and maybe someone will chime in with a way to run four speakers in 2 channel. I can run all speakers in stereo with 9 channel setting, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.
post #24689 of 30702 Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Mrmota, I have mostly the same system and am pleased. My room is a little bigger and so adding a second sub helped, also could add some front wide or heights if your room layout permits. Room treatment, and the pro kit for the preamp are the only other things I can think of . You have a nice system so you are starting to get to the land of diminishing returns.
post #24690 of 30702 Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 17
Just to give feedback on the dialog issues I had before, I am a little confused and perhaps uncertain of what is happening in my room.

Listening near-field doesn't really change the "booey" characteristics of the dialog. In Thor there is plenty of dialog and a lot of it is, I don't know, boomy, as if there is a peak some where that is overshadowing the rest of the range. I've heard the same dialog on other systems, admittedly in other rooms, and that booey sounding dialog isn't there, especially in the same scenes.

Now I have acoustic panels which I haven't put up because it's not very practical where I'm living currently. It very well could be the room, but this boomy dialog is absolutely not tied to the material I'm watching. My only concern is that listening near-field should take most of the reflections out of the equation, so if the acoustics of the room are affecting things badly, I should know listening near-field and it never improved the situation.

Not sure at this point. Perhaps what I should do is rig the Studio 100's on the center channel, position it in the same location and listen to see if those artifacts I'm hearing are the same. I'll report back with my findings soon.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page