post #24781 of 30985 Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Was wondering what you guys recommend setting the Sub Woofer Cut Off Frequency on the Paradigm subs?? I have a DSP-3200 and a DSP-3400 with the Sub cut off frequency set at 80hz......should I rotate it to bypass and let the AVR handle it or leave it at 80 on the sub???? Thanks.

Always let the AVR handle it and set the crossover on the sub to max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24782 of 30985 Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

Always let the AVR handle it and set the crossover on the sub to max.

So you mean set the sub cut off frequency to bypass and the volume set to max?? And 80hz is the recommended cut off freq for the subwoofer? Thanks!
post #24783 of 30985 Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
Set cut of to bypass Set volume to half to start and work from there
post #24784 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Liked: 17
Guys, need your advice. As you probably know I have Studio 100's v5, CC590 v5, no surrounds. Am thinking of doing one of two things :

Selling the 100's, getting a pair of 20's with 10's for the surrounds and possible the Sub15 subwoofer. My other option is waiting a few months, getting the Sig S2 v2, C3 center and perhaps using Studio 10s for the surrounds with the Sub15.

I'm moving into an apartment and the thing is that I don't watch movies at reference even if I was. This is my concern - the Studio 100 puts the tweeter well above ear height which, to me, tells me that I'm not hearing all the information as highs are directional. Am I crazy here Am I making sense with this? If I go for the 20's on good stands I imagine I would get improved imaging, better detail as the tweeter would be positioned at the precise height and the big advantage is that I would have a proper sub.

My other idea which is a lot more costly : would the Sigs really offer much better performance for movies? I'm around 80% movies, 20% music. I'm talking clarity, detail/separation? Or would jumping to the Sigs be more of a lateral move and not worth the added expense? Just need your views on this.
post #24785 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Guys, need your advice. As you probably know I have Studio 100's v5, CC590 v5, no surrounds. Am thinking of doing one of two things :

Selling the 100's, getting a pair of 20's with 10's for the surrounds and possible the Sub15 subwoofer. My other option is waiting a few months, getting the Sig S2 v2, C3 center and perhaps using Studio 10s for the surrounds with the Sub15.

I'm moving into an apartment and the thing is that I don't watch movies at reference even if I was. This is my concern - the Studio 100 puts the tweeter well above ear height which, to me, tells me that I'm not hearing all the information as highs are directional. Am I crazy here Am I making sense with this? If I go for the 20's on good stands I imagine I would get improved imaging, better detail as the tweeter would be positioned at the precise height and the big advantage is that I would have a proper sub.

My other idea which is a lot more costly : would the Sigs really offer much better performance for movies? I'm around 80% movies, 20% music. I'm talking clarity, detail/separation? Or would jumping to the Sigs be more of a lateral move and not worth the added expense? Just need your views on this.

I think moving from v5 studio to a non-v3 sig is not worth the effort. I also do not think the directional focus of the tweeter is as narrow of a range as you are describing. Are you never going to LAY DOWN to watch a movie?
post #24786 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Studio 20s on j29 stands are going to put the tweeter at the same height as the 100s.so you're not going to be gaining anything. You're also going to lose a lot of midbass with 20s.
post #24787 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Are you never going to LAY DOWN to watch a movie?

Well it's not like I don't watch films on my system, but thanks for expressing your concerns. Listen dude, I hardly even post on this forum anymore and the only time I do is to bounce opinions off of those who have experience with the brand.

If it's too much of a burden for you to express your views then you are most welcome to overlook my post and carry on. No skin off my back.
post #24788 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Studio 20s on j29 stands are going to put the tweeter at the same height as the 100s.

What about the J23 stands?

Quote:

You're also going to lose a lot of midbass with 20s.

I assumed the Sub15 would be able to pick up the slack.
post #24789 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the 100s having the tweets above ear height:

I use a laser and slightly tilt the towers forward so they are directed towards the ear height in the listening area. Works great. I use painters tape to mark the exact location of my ears and aim according to Paradigm recommendations.

I recommend the Sigs over the Studio line. I found out the hard way to get the biggest, best speaker you can afford.

Good luck on the party, ayrton

Nice Stuff!
post #24790 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayton View Post

On the 100s having the tweets above ear height:

I use a laser and slightly tilt the towers forward so they are directed towards the ear height in the listening area. Works great. I use painters tape to mark the exact location of my ears and aim according to Paradigm recommendations.

I recommend the Sigs over the Studio line. I found out the hard way to get the biggest, best speaker you can afford.

Good luck on the party, ayrton

Thanks man. Thing is, the 100's will have to go. I'm downsizing, so I figure I can either go for the smaller 20's with sub, or Sig 2 v2 (or v3, depending on finances). The idea of tilting the 100's wouldn't work for me, though.

Do you have Sigs?
post #24791 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the J23 stands?

I assumed the Sub15 would be able to pick up the slack.

Absolutely it would, but If you listen to 2.0 music at all, that's where you would notice.

The j23 will work for you.

And V2 S2's would be the same as having v5 studios
post #24792 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:

I don't quite understand what you are saying here.
post #24793 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Absolutely it would, but If you listen to 2.0 music at all, that's where you would notice.

The j23 will work for you.

The v2 S2's have the Be tweeter,not used on any of the Studios!
post #24794 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Thanks man. Thing is, the 100's will have to go. I'm downsizing, so I figure I can either go for the smaller 20's with sub, or Sig 2 v2 (or v3, depending on finances). The idea of tilting the 100's wouldn't work for me, though.

Do you have Sigs?

My Opinion: If you are going to sell your 100's, and 590,
Then step up to the Signature Line. Go with V2 or V3
with the Be tweeters. For Surrounds I would use Studio 10's.

Yes I do own Sigs-5 of them.
post #24795 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

The v2 S2's have the Be tweeter,not used on any of the Studios!

Ok, I didn't think the be tweeters came out until version 3.
post #24796 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Well it's not like I don't watch films on my system, but thanks for expressing your concerns. Listen dude, I hardly even post on this forum anymore and the only time I do is to bounce opinions off of those who have experience with the brand.

If it's too much of a burden for you to express your views then you are most welcome to overlook my post and carry on. No skin off my back.

Sorry, there was no implied tone there.
post #24797 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I moved up from a v4 Studio 40 and CC590 setup to a new in box S4/C3 v2 combo about a month ago. For music, I knew the Sigs would knock the ball out the park but for movies I wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. They image so well and have such a deep soundstage that movies/HT sound better. For example, scenes where water is dripping in an abandoned factory or glass shattering from a bomb explosion simply sounded more realistic as if you were actually there. Sounds going from one speaker across to the other also seem to extend beyond the width of the speakers themselves. If you can swing the $$$ go for the Sigs.
post #24798 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have Sigs?

Yes. S8 v3 C5 v3. Did I mention, I love them!

Upgraded from Studio 100 v3 CC 690 v5

Still using my ADP 590s for surrounds.

You can tilt using the adjustable isolating spikes. Very simple.

Nice Stuff!
post #24799 of 30985 Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I went from the v5 100's, 690, ADP 590's to the S2 v3, C3 v3 and ADP 1's all with the Sub 15. The SQ quality for both music and movies was a good improvement, most will say that for movies the Sigs are wasted but I disagree. My experience has been much the same as 519's, the extra detail is well worth it. I also find the Sigs much more natural sounding without nearly as much sibilance, that's the thing that drove me crazy about the Studio's. No longer have that setup as unfortunately they did provide enough output for my tastes but if your in an apartment I don't think that'll be a problem.

Dual Siesmic 110's could be another option for you in an apartment setting, have you given that sub any thought?
post #24800 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 AM

Liked: 10
I figured this might be a good place to ask.

Just bought a new Denon 1712 and I'm running

Monitor 3 v2
CC-370
Atom v2
PDR-12

Sources:
Denon 1712
Panasonic BDT-215 BluRay
WD TV live for movies and streaming.

Any way these are a bit on the old side and when I hooked up the Denon the 370 sounded horrible. Turns out the tweeter is toast. I called Paradigm and they are sending out a new baffle for the speaker. I ave taken it apart and was wondering if anyone has ever repaired one of these before? There is a small loop connected by two leads that seems like it will have to be placed in a slot on the magnet. Seems like it could be a PIA and quite delicate. I do not have it yet (hopefully in a few days) and I am already antsy and wanted to get some info. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested. $30 plus shipping surely beats buying a new center channel which will hopefully be back to normal once repaired.

Thanks in advance.

David

Lord give me patients. Because if you give me strength ... I'll need bail money to go with it.
post #24801 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird23 View Post

I went from the v5 100's, 690, ADP 590's to the S2 v3, C3 v3 and ADP 1's all with the Sub 15. The SQ quality for both music and movies was a good improvement, most will say that for movies the Sigs are wasted but I disagree. My experience has been much the same as 519's, the extra detail is well worth it. I also find the Sigs much more natural sounding without nearly as much sibilance, that's the thing that drove me crazy about the Studio's. No longer have that setup as unfortunately they did provide enough output for my tastes but if your in an apartment I don't think that'll be a problem.

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like moving to the Sigs made a worthwhile improvement even for home theater. If I can get better (as in improved clarity, separation/detail) performance for movies than the Studios then that's a big bonus for me.

Quote:

Dual Siesmic 110's could be another option for you in an apartment setting, have you given that sub any thought?

I've heard the Sub12 before and was impressed with the performance, for a smallish subwoofer. I'm able to get the Sub15 for not much more so I figure, can't hurt right?
post #24802 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Sorry, there was no implied tone there.

It's okay. You got me at a very bad time and I was just venting my frustrations. Sorry about that.
post #24803 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Hi all,
Currently I have a pair of Studio 60v5, a single Sub 12 and an Integra DTR-40.3 setup. The bi-amped 60s crossover is set at 70Hz and Sub 12 cutoff is set at 80Hz. This is not final yet, I'm still learning as I go along with Audyssey and PBK.

So, I'm wondering if 60s are to be replaced with 20s, will it sound better, worse or about the same? At first glance, what I can think of is I gain more with 20s for midrange as it has bigger S-PAL, but lose the bass, which can be compensated through the Sub 12?

Thanks in advance.
post #24804 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

I've heard the Sub12 before and was impressed with the performance, for a smallish subwoofer. I'm able to get the Sub15 for not much more so I figure, can't hurt right?

For an appartment? The only thing it might hurt is reading the eviction notice...
post #24805 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Hi all,
Currently I have a pair of Studio 60v5, a single Sub 12 and an Integra DTR-40.3 setup. The bi-amped 60s crossover is set at 70Hz and Sub 12 cutoff is set at 80Hz. This is not final yet, I'm still learning as I go along with Audyssey and PBK.

So, I'm wondering if 60s are to be replaced with 20s, will it sound better, worse or about the same? At first glance, what I can think of is I gain more with 20s for midrange as it has bigger S-PAL, but lose the bass, which can be compensated through the Sub 12?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the set up and listening position/distance, there's no easy answer.

But I can tell you that you should not use the cut-off on your sub. Run PBK with no crossover, then with PBK engaged, run Audyssey over top for the whole system and use Audyssey's crossover settings.
post #24806 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Depends on the set up and listening position/distance, there's no easy answer.

But I can tell you that you should not use the cut-off on your sub. Run PBK with no crossover, then with PBK engaged, run Audyssey over top for the whole system and use Audyssey's crossover settings.

My listening area is about 25x15 and listening distance to each tower is about 10ft. I'm 80% music. I guess what I'm looking to find out is if 60s can be replaced with 20s, without giving up any low range with the help of Sub 12 (the money saved will be going towards adding a CC-590 or CC-690).

When I ran PBK, I set the sub cut-off as "by-pass". And after PBK, as you suggested, with PBK engaged, ran Audyssey for the whole system with sub gain set as 75db (suggested by Audyssey). Audyssey set my fronts crossover at 40Hz and I didn't like the bass coming out of Sub 12 with that setup. After some test listening, I came to terms with fronts crossover as 70Hz and sub cut-off as 80Hz, which gives me a ton of bass that I was looking for. But this was about 2 weeks ago before the sub breaks-in. I will redo everything next week again and see...
post #24807 of 30985 Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My listening area is about 25x15 and listening distance to each tower is about 10ft. I'm 80% music. I guess what I'm looking to find out is if 60s can be replaced with 20s, without giving up any low range with the help of Sub 12 (the money saved will be going towards adding a CC-590 or CC-690).

When I ran PBK, I set the sub cut-off as "by-pass". And after PBK, as you suggested, with PBK engaged, ran Audyssey for the whole system with sub gain set as 75db (suggested by Audyssey). Audyssey set my fronts crossover at 40Hz and I didn't like the bass coming out of Sub 12 with that setup. After some test listening, I came to terms with fronts crossover as 70Hz and sub cut-off as 80Hz, which gives me a ton of bass that I was looking for. But this was about 2 weeks ago before the sub breaks-in. I will redo everything next week again and see...

10' should be okay for 20's, I wouldn't go much more than that. They might be limited if you're trying to fill the whole room but if you're only worried about the listening position they should be fine.

If you're mostly music why not go three 20's and another sub instead of a cc?

With music there's not much info below 40hz, so it's not surprising your sub wasn't doing much.
post #24808 of 30985 Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

10' should be okay for 20's, I wouldn't go much more than that. They might be limited if you're trying to fill the whole room but if you're only worried about the listening position they should be fine.

If you're mostly music why not go three 20's and another sub instead of a cc?

With music there's not much info below 40hz, so it's not surprising your sub wasn't doing much.

Thank you for the suggestion. So, basically since I'm using a Studio Sub12, having 60s is sort of like overkill. With 20s (or even 10s), it should do the same job. That makes me even wonder (forgetting about CC for now), maybe it's time for S1 or S2???
post #24809 of 30985 Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion. So, basically since I'm using a Studio Sub12, having 60s is sort of like overkill. With 20s (or even 10s), it should do the same job. That makes me even wonder (forgetting about CC for now), maybe it's time for S1 or S2???

A pair of S2s would work well with a Sub 12 as well as being a significant upgrade from the Studio 60s.
post #24810 of 30985 Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a pair of studio 100s with 2 hsu vtf15s and I can hardly consider it overkill. There's plenty of music that can hit below 40hz. Rock, classical and hip hop do all the time. Where my vtf's really shine is watching movies having subs with floorstands gives you better bass response. With my 100s, they do need to be cranked to give off the bass, so a sub makes listening at lower levels more pleasant.

100s 60s 20s, etc all need a subwoofer to some degree. Where your center is important is for off axis listening. Using a bookshelf off axis won't cut it if your serious about your theatre. This is why paradigm gets a lot of haters in the theatre world when their cc's come highly recommended. A 3 way center gives you that ability to listen off axis without a loss of dialog quality.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page