AVS Forum banner

Paradigm Owners Thread

5M views 43K replies 4K participants last post by  crg 
#1 ·
I'm curious, What Paradigm speakers do you use in your setup? What do you use to power them? What components do you use with them ie CD player, DVD, DAC's etc. Is your room acoustically treated? Are you pleased with your speakers in your setup? Did your Paradigms meet your expectations?

I'd like to hear from other Paradigm owners, and their opinions!

I have the Signature S2's as my dealer recommended for my size room being 11' x 12'. I have the Birdseye Maple Series. I have the S2's on sand filled Premier J29 stands, I have the C3 Center in a oak cabinet directly above my Sony XBR, I use a Veloydyne HGS sub in the right corner. Currently I'm using my left-over B&W wall mounted speakers direct firing on side walls facing the listening position. (My SIgnature ADPs should be here this week to replace the B&Ws.

I'm using an Arcam AVR300 to power the 5 speakers, the sub of course is self powered. I purchased a Arcam DV29 for DVD's and DVD-a multi-channel music, for two channel music I purchased an Arcam CD33, WOW...what a CD player
I use the DV29 for DVA-a discs, and even though i've yet to tweak the settings, when I'm in my listening position I'm stoked by the multichannel disc play...This is my first experience with DVD-A ...Didn't even know what it was a few weeks ago. After listening to it I've already bought several good DVD-As I'm blown away with the separatiion and music/vocal qualities, the Arcam DV29 does an better than admirable job at 6ch analogue....certain old DVD-A CDs blow me away...Steely Dan, Santana Supernatural, Weather Report, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeplin...just to name a few. Excellent sonic separations into the channels.

...Not to get off track, My Signatures are new and I'm playing them constantly with all different kinds of music, and I've noticed a slight characteristic change with them, the are getting (I'n my amatuer descriptions) much clearer, I guess the higher frequencies, the mid range is getting deeper and tighter, and they seem to open up the soundstage to place instruments and vocals in different locations, I guess where you would expect them to be on stage in a live performance. I close my eyes sometimes just to imagine where each sound is comin from....they do that, they place where the sound originates from. Womesn vocals are excellent BTW..

Aside from Multichannel, two channel direct is superb!

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I'm extremely pleased in my gear choices with the help from my salesman...The best I've heard in my home to date. My salesman wants to come over and further tweat it when I get the ADP's.

I'm sure that there is the "step-above-audio-crowd" with better gear and higher quality speakers, and way more expensive equipment than I have that could shame my setup...but in defense, this setup is the best I can afford pressently and I'm ecstatic

I'dlike to hear from other Paradigm owners and their setup, and how they think the Paradigms integrate into their systems? Love to hear some feedback

Oh, and one final question??? What are the dimensions of your listening room? Thanks...

See less See more
#31,321 ·
Monitor Atoms v7

Recently I got a pair of Paradigm Monitor Atoms v7 for my electronic drum kit, really like them so far.

Here is a short mid-range driver excursion demo (please note that audio track is dubbed directly from drum module, not from camcorder mic):

Reactions: ambesolman
#31,322 ·
How about 2 Studio 12s? One now and one down the road? Seems you want to stick with Paradigm. My only personal home experience with a sub is a Paradigm Sub 2 so I am biased. The Sub 12 should dig deeper and louder than the ultrasub. My dealer let me borrow a sub 12 while my Sub 2 was on order and it was a night and day difference with movies compared to no sub at all. I don't listen to a lot of music down there even though I should. Even with the Sub 2, I would love to get a second one for the room to smooth out some response issues. My room isn't ideal. It is open in the back to the front foyer where my front door is which is also open to the upstairs since that is where the stairs are for the second floor plus in the right side of the room right in the middle I had a hallway that leads to the laundry room and garage.

First note - to those that have pm'd me from my original comments, I apologize for not replying to you directly as my thread count being a new member doesn't allow me to respond but I appreciate your comments.

rwheelwright
Like your room, my room is open on the one side to a front foyer area. I'm sure there would be a lot more output from the Studio 12's for sure, but that is now putting me up around $4-5K. While I would like to keep Paradigm and PBK in the mix, at that kind of money wouldn't I be opening up a lot more options (probably cheaper than 2 Sub 12's with similar performance) than my $2k budget. That's more than I am willing to spend - given that I am getting the impression that my room is just too difficult to address and I need to accept trade-offs. It is never going to be a dedicated HT with humungous LFE output. I may just see if I can try out a second Ultracube 12 and see what musical enhancements I can detect.?

#31,323 ·
How about 2 Studio 12s? One now and one down the road? Seems you want to stick with Paradigm. My only personal home experience with a sub is a Paradigm Sub 2 so I am biased. The Sub 12 should dig deeper and louder than the ultrasub. My dealer let me borrow a sub 12 while my Sub 2 was on order and it was a night and day difference with movies compared to no sub at all. I don't listen to a lot of music down there even though I should. Even with the Sub 2, I would love to get a second one for the room to smooth out some response issues. My room isn't ideal. It is open in the back to the front foyer where my front door is which is also open to the upstairs since that is where the stairs are for the second floor plus in the right side of the room right in the middle I had a hallway that leads to the laundry room and garage.

First note - to those that have pm'd me from my original comments, I apologize for not replying to you directly as my thread count being a new member doesn't allow me to respond but I appreciate your comments.

rwheelwright
Like your room, my room is open on the one side to a front foyer area. I'm sure there would be a lot more output from the Studio 12's for sure, but that is now putting me up around $4-5K. While I would like to keep Paradigm and PBK in the mix, at that kind of money wouldn't I be opening up a lot more options (probably cheaper than 2 Sub 12's with similar performance) than my $2k budget. That's more than I am willing to spend - given that I am getting the impression that my room is just too difficult to address and I need to accept trade-offs. It is never going to be a dedicated HT with humungous LFE output. I may just see if I can try out a second Ultracube 12 and see what musical enhancements I can detect.?

Have you thought about sealing up the room? I always toy with that idea but my biggest reason for it is not for sound but more for being able to lock the room for when my kid is older and to keep him from putting **** into my speakers and me being left having to repair them. The reason I toy with idea and haven't done it yet is because I'm not sure how much longer I am going to be in this house and don't know how much money I want to spend repairing and upgrading this house.

I had to piece my HT together for years. I was just in a good place last year to be able to get all my Signature speakers. Previously all I had was 2 mains and nothing else. Then when I moved, I put these 2 JBL speakers I had in the rear. Then from there I got matching center and bi-pole rears and moved the JBLs upstairs. These weren't Paradigm though. And then maybe a year or 2 later I finally was able to get a sub. Then 2 years after that I was finally able to get what I wanted in terms of speakers. My priority was HT. Even though I am a musician I wanted something for HT. In an ideal world, my next house will have a "Real" room for HT along with a dedicated 2 channel listening setup and room but one can dream right? The reason I mentioned 2 Sub 12s was because I thought you might be happier with them but not do it all at once. If time and budget allowed piece it together. I never wanted to compromise on components so I did what I could when I could and then waited. I'm still not done with equipment but I'm better of now than before. I still want to get an Anthem D2V but now it's to the point I will wait for their new Pre\pro that has Atmos and whatever else is coming out whenever that will be. I don't want to do in ceiling speakers in this room so I can really wait a while for this. What I do want sooner than later is a P5 and P2 to drive my speakers at a level that is loud but more about me being comfortable without worrying about blowing anything. I don't listen to things extremely loud but that is because I don't want to go deaf and I don't want to blow anything.

One of these days right? If you get a second matching sub, you might be happy! It's always hard to tell until you have the equipment in your room and set up.

#31,324 ·
grasshoppers - thanks for the comments.
Before I go on,
Question: could I ask you what you enjoy and how you evaluate your sub(s) for your use in mostly music - what makes the investment worthwhile, as in your case you say you have 3 subs. What are you getting that your towers don't provide - mine seem awesome even in this humungous room of mine.
I researched this for a while and do believe I need 2 subs, which is what I heard from several people, including the folks at Rythmik and PSA. The issue I have with the Rythmik, for example, is a financial one and location one. Ideally I would have loved to get 2 - of their 15" sealed, but even the cheaper F12, with shipping to a US warehouse where I can drive in under 30 minutes from my home in Canada, the cost is $975 US each, plus exchange at 25% and I'm at $1250 for the F12 plus whatever they charge me at the border for bringing it into Canada. Once here, if there is an issue/defect/service I'm up the creek and issues can and do happen. Hence, why I took the Paradigm route. In my city, there aren't a lot of alternatives. I looked at PSA as well and same cross-border issues. ID sub wise, we have SVS in Canada and at the same ballpark pricepoint the option would be 2 - SB2000.
I think from what I have read that I would probably be better off with 2 subs,
Question: do you think a second Ultracube 12 would achieve much? I know I'm still not going to be putting out pounding LFE with the space, it's an unrealistic challenge, unless funds are unlimited which isn't my case. I had set around $2K to get the sub(s) purchased, which is what the 2 Ultracubes will cost me, just a little over as I got a decent discount with everything I purchased from the dealer.
Thanks
Personally with the tanking of our dollar here in Canada and the absolutely ridiculous duties, taxes etc getting things across the border, I'd be on the lookout for a couple good used subs from Canuck Audio Mart. Many of the ID sub companies have transferable warranties, so you're covered in that regard, you'll save money because it's used AND you won't have to worry about the aforementioned problems. I managed to pick up a Reaction PV-15x 1000w sub off the forum a couple months back for about $850. It was only 3 months old and cost the buyer close to 1400 to get it here after fees. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/50-subwoofers/?page=1 There's nothing of note up right now as far as SVS, PSA (except for a dealer add for a PSA sub, he's asking too much) or HSU is concerned - but you will find them popping up on a monthly basis. Keep your eyes peeled for a PB13 Ultra or SB13 ultra, you could pick one up then just keep scanning the adds again until another one comes along.

I'd take this route WAY before I bought another sub from Paradigm. I love the sound of Paradigm speakers and have been keeping an eye out myself for some used Studio 20's - but their subs just don't cut it from a price/performance standpoint.

PS - as far as warranties and shipping a used sub back to the states for servicing, you don't have to ship the entire sub back - you'd usually only ship 1. the driver or 2. the amp back. It would cost you max $100 via UPS, and most likely the return shipping would be covered by the ID sub company. FWIW the sub companies listed have a pretty excellent track record of their parts not failing.

#31,326 ·
I never did understand that one...but I have seen it many times. When I was in Japan, I wanted to pick up some Japanese electronics locally and found their prices to be MUCH higher than in the US.
Just to tell a similar tale - my Taiwan sales rep used to send new service engineers over for training and have them buy their new laptop at Costco. Much cheaper, even though made in Taiwan!

#31,328 ·
That's an impressive review. My dealer thinks he will have them in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to hear them. I've been hearing mixed opinions, but I guess that's what this hobby is about

#31,330 · (Edited)
I liked the review too. Have to wait and see when people get them in their homes. I can't see Paradigm downgrading from the Studio Line.

#31,331 ·
I've owned several Paradigm speakers dating back to 1998 when I purchased the Studio 100 v1 (btw I still own the set), ending with a set of S8v3 for my 2-ch/HT setup. I'm sort of branching out now to expand my horizon. The 95F has some great competition in its price range, including the Revel F208. I purchased a pair of F208 a couple of weeks ago for my bedroom (first time owning Revel speakers) and they sound really good. Very lively. The mids are just intoxicating. The highs are transparent and detailed without sounding harsh. The bass is tight and has just the right amount of kick without sounding boomy. I like them almost just as much as my S8v3s. I think these are a keeper for a long time.

#31,332 ·
I've owned several Paradigm speakers dating back to 1998 when I purchased the Studio 100 v1 (btw I still own the set), ending with a set of S8v3 for my 2-ch/HT setup. I'm sort of branching out now to expand my horizon. The 95F has some great competition in its price range, including the Revel F208. I purchased a pair of F208 a couple of weeks ago for my bedroom (first time owning Revel speakers) and they sound really good. Very lively. The mids are just intoxicating. The highs are transparent and detailed without sounding harsh. The bass is tight and has just the right amount of kick without sounding boomy. I like them almost just as much as my S8v3s. I think these are a keeper for a long time.
Sounds like you would also like the Goldenear speakers. Try the new Triton 5.

#31,334 ·
For the guys who have J23/J29 stands for their Paradigms, what do you guys use on tile floors? At the moment the stands are well, standing flat on the tile floor. Am I supposed to put something underneath it? I don't think spikes are appropriate on tile floors.

Second question, would mass filling the stands improve sound quality at all? Or is it not worthwhile to try?

#31,335 ·
For the guys who have J23/J29 stands for their Paradigms, what do you guys use on tile floors? At the moment the stands are well, standing flat on the tile floor. Am I supposed to put something underneath it? I don't think spikes are appropriate on tile floors.

Second question, would mass filling the stands improve sound quality at all? Or is it not worthwhile to try?
On hardwood or tile floor, you would rest the spike points on spike pucks, so they don't gouge into the flooring. Mass loading the stands would help prevent tipping if lightly bumped.

#31,336 ·
Can someone explain to me the poor bass response ( on paper? ) of the Prestige 45c.

It quotes it as 75hz-20khz @+-2dB.

Are paradigm just using ultra strict measurements compared to looser measurements of other speaker makers?

Eg is the 'real' frequency response something like 60hz-30khz @+-3dB and 55hz-50khz@+-6dB.

For an amazing looking speaker using the latest tech I am a bit concerned that there would potentially be a frequency response hole as a speaker with deeper bass response can taper off below the 80hz crossover.

I mention 80hz because I think it is the perfect crossover point and I would only consider setting it higher if I had garbage satellite speakers.

I am deciding between Prestige from paradigm and Gold Series from monitor audio.

I am considering all options.

#31,337 ·
Can someone explain to me the poor bass response ( on paper? ) of the Prestige 45c.

It quotes it as 75hz-20khz @+-2dB.

Are paradigm just using ultra strict measurements compared to looser measurements of other speaker makers?

Eg is the 'real' frequency response something like 60hz-30khz @+-3dB and 55hz-50khz@+-6dB.

For an amazing looking speaker using the latest tech I am a bit concerned that there would potentially be a frequency response hole as a speaker with deeper bass response can taper off below the 80hz crossover.

I mention 80hz because I think it is the perfect crossover point and I would only consider setting it higher if I had garbage satellite speakers.

I am deciding between Prestige from paradigm and Gold Series from monitor audio.

I am considering all options.

Although there are many Pdimgs that I respect, Paradigms numbers are loose. Very loose. Especially on subs.

#31,338 ·
What I am saying is that they clearly quote the dB tolerances as being within 2dB, what I want to know is the range at looser 3dB tolerances.

If they did not qualify the frequency response with a dB tolerance then you can argue the validity but you cannot say that 2dB is loose when it is tighter than other makers. ( who range from -3dB to -6dB )

#31,339 · (Edited)
I know what you are saying. I am saying their numbers are generally fluffy and cannot be completely trusted. Especially when it comes to frequency response. And even more specifically when it comes to subs.

That center that you are talking about only has two 5.5 inch mid/woofers. Im sure the numbers are close. It certainly isn't going to extend much deeper so put those hopes to sleep. If you want a deeper playing center look elsewhere. It would probably be a fine center channel even if it is bass anemic.

The spec page says it extends to 50hz. DIN. Most cross over their centers so it shouldn't be a problem if you do the 80 hz.
http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=prestige-45c/page=specs

How about the 55 which is 55hz +/- 2db? DIN 37hz. It doesn't cost that much more.
http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=prestige-55c/page=specs

Just make sure you keep the grills on these things. Chrome hula hoop rings look nasty.

#31,340 ·
I will probably be getting the 55c but I just wanted to know why the low end wsa 75hz when the 55 has identical drivers and is also a 3 way centre.

I can't understand why it can go so much lower just because it has 2 more identical drivers.

I can understand how it makes the speaker morr sensetive...but a 20hz low end discrepancy is massive.