AVS Forum banner

Paradigm Owners Thread

5M views 43K replies 4K participants last post by  crg 
#1 ·
I'm curious, What Paradigm speakers do you use in your setup? What do you use to power them? What components do you use with them ie CD player, DVD, DAC's etc. Is your room acoustically treated? Are you pleased with your speakers in your setup? Did your Paradigms meet your expectations?

I'd like to hear from other Paradigm owners, and their opinions!

I have the Signature S2's as my dealer recommended for my size room being 11' x 12'. I have the Birdseye Maple Series. I have the S2's on sand filled Premier J29 stands, I have the C3 Center in a oak cabinet directly above my Sony XBR, I use a Veloydyne HGS sub in the right corner. Currently I'm using my left-over B&W wall mounted speakers direct firing on side walls facing the listening position. (My SIgnature ADPs should be here this week to replace the B&Ws.

I'm using an Arcam AVR300 to power the 5 speakers, the sub of course is self powered. I purchased a Arcam DV29 for DVD's and DVD-a multi-channel music, for two channel music I purchased an Arcam CD33, WOW...what a CD player
I use the DV29 for DVA-a discs, and even though i've yet to tweak the settings, when I'm in my listening position I'm stoked by the multichannel disc play...This is my first experience with DVD-A ...Didn't even know what it was a few weeks ago. After listening to it I've already bought several good DVD-As I'm blown away with the separatiion and music/vocal qualities, the Arcam DV29 does an better than admirable job at 6ch analogue....certain old DVD-A CDs blow me away...Steely Dan, Santana Supernatural, Weather Report, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeplin...just to name a few. Excellent sonic separations into the channels.

...Not to get off track, My Signatures are new and I'm playing them constantly with all different kinds of music, and I've noticed a slight characteristic change with them, the are getting (I'n my amatuer descriptions) much clearer, I guess the higher frequencies, the mid range is getting deeper and tighter, and they seem to open up the soundstage to place instruments and vocals in different locations, I guess where you would expect them to be on stage in a live performance. I close my eyes sometimes just to imagine where each sound is comin from....they do that, they place where the sound originates from. Womesn vocals are excellent BTW..

Aside from Multichannel, two channel direct is superb!

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I'm extremely pleased in my gear choices with the help from my salesman...The best I've heard in my home to date. My salesman wants to come over and further tweat it when I get the ADP's.

I'm sure that there is the "step-above-audio-crowd" with better gear and higher quality speakers, and way more expensive equipment than I have that could shame my setup...but in defense, this setup is the best I can afford pressently and I'm ecstatic

I'dlike to hear from other Paradigm owners and their setup, and how they think the Paradigms integrate into their systems? Love to hear some feedback

Oh, and one final question??? What are the dimensions of your listening room? Thanks...

See less See more
#31,881 ·
That is a good deal...if you were in Canada could get you a better deal, however not in Piano Black...Go For It!!!
that what I was thinking. Too good to pass up. I've been looking at legacy audio and possibly upgrading to the gold MA series for the front channels (currently have MA silvers), but this opportunity changes all that. It would save me close to $3k going this route compared to other similar options.

#31,882 ·
that what I was thinking. Too good to pass up. I've been looking at legacy audio and possibly upgrading to the gold MA series for the front channels (currently have MA silvers), but this opportunity changes all that. It would save me close to $3k going this route compared to other similar options.
I just hooked my new 690 today and it is awesome, a total beast!! I was thinking about picking up 100's too, however decided to get an amp and stick with my 60's.

#31,885 ·
Are the Canadian Paradigm dealers giving any good guy discounts on the new speaker line...15-20 % ?
I have some good deals out here in Vancouver in that range...

#31,886 · (Edited)
I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Studio 100s, a 690 center, and the center speaker stand paradigm sells for $500 for $4500. The speakers are black gloss which is the finish I would want. They are brand new. Never used. This is an awesome freakin deal....no? He says he's essentially unloading the speakers for "his cost" he has in them.
no, he's giving you list price on a discontinued speaker series and throwing in the speaker stand as the "discount."

#31,887 ·
Actually the retail on the Piano black 100s was $3800. The 690 was $1850. The stand was $500 for a total of $6150.00
The speakers are discontinued so Im sure he would like to get rid of them.

#31,888 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Studio 100s, a 690 center, and the center speaker stand paradigm sells for $500 for $4500. The speakers are black gloss which is the finish I would want. They are brand new. Never used. This is an awesome freakin deal....no? He says he's essentially unloading the speakers for "his cost" he has in them.
That seems like a sweet deal. 3 speakers that are top of the Studio line in the most expensive finish. I'd bite on that mainly because it's not just the price. It's only going to get harder and harder to find Studio speakers. Most dealers only have certain parts left. I think it would be difficult to find the 100s and 690 in the same finish all in one place.

#31,889 ·
That seems like a sweet deal. 3 speakers that are top of the Studio line in the most expensive finish. I'd bite on that mainly because it's not just the price. It's only going to get harder and harder to find Studio speakers. Most dealers only have certain parts left. I think it would be difficult to find the 100s and 690 in the same finish all in one place.
My sentiments exactly...I was lucky to find a pair of 100's and a 690 in Rosenut, however only took the 690...and the price that I was getting on the 100's was awesome...still thinking about it too

#31,890 ·
interesting, each speaker retailed for $1800 each with a standard finish...I believe they had to be at least $2k with the black gloss finish before any discounts. Then you throw in a stand that retails for $500. That comes to $6500 before tax. Assuming a 10% discount off retail, it still seems to be a really good deal. The other issue is this, what speakers can be had anywhere close to these speakers with the same level of build quality, finish, etc at this price? I'm all ears bc i don't think they exist. These speakers were discontinued what two months ago? They were never heavily discounted towards the end of their availability or afterwards that I'm aware of. Maybe you know of otherwise?

#31,892 ·
Actually the retail on the Piano black 100s was $3800. The 690 was $1850. The stand was $500 for a total of $6150.00
The speakers are discontinued so Im sure he would like to get rid of them.
Yes, you're right - I misread the CC-690 price off the Paradigm webpage.

However, I don't believe "his cost" is only 26% below list, if he's a dealer. If he's not, then he's selling them for what he paid which is still a better deal for the seller.

Wasn't Paradigm also recently offering a free center if you bought the fronts?

#31,894 ·
Hi All,

Been stalking this thread for some time now, thought I'd jump in with a couple questions, my first post.

Long time Paradigm fan. Bought my first pair at a family friend's audio store back when I was around 16. They were Phantoms, and I thought they were glorious. Remember the store owner put on some Doug McLeod (Chill on Cold), started dancing, and I was sold. Kept those speakers for 10 years and loved them the whole time.

Many years later I've just bought a house and am looking to setup a 2 channel listening space. I explicitly listen to lossless/.flac digital audio through a Mac Mini. Looking to get into either some Studio 60's or 100's (whichever one I see a good price for first on Kijiji).

I could also go for the Prestige's.. however the adage about avoiding the first production model in a new car line seems to feel prudent, especially with some discord between users compared to v.5 in the Studio line.

My questions (and please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask):

1) Assuming I go with either the Studio 60s or 100s, will be using only 2 channels, and listening to digital music and movies from the computer, how much money should I spend on an integrated amp? Also, what would your brand recommendation be? For sentimental reasons I would lean toward Marantz, but am well aware there are most likely better choices. If possible, I would try and avoid an amp with a DAC built in already, would prefer to specialize there, and get the most bang for buck on just an amp.

2) Does anybody here know a lot about DACs? I've been following the Schiit company's story and quite like what they've got going on (as well as their prices), so first choice would be one of their products. Again the reason I'm asking is because I'm not entirely sure at this speaker price point what the best DAC matchup would be.

Thanks and happy Friday! :D

#31,895 ·
Hi All,

Been stalking this thread for some time now, thought I'd jump in with a couple questions, my first post.

Long time Paradigm fan. Bought my first pair at a family friend's audio store back when I was around 16. They were Phantoms, and I thought they were glorious. Remember the store owner put on some Doug McLeod (Chill on Cold), started dancing, and I was sold. Kept those speakers for 10 years and loved them the whole time.

Many years later I've just bought a house and am looking to setup a 2 channel listening space. I explicitly listen to lossless/.flac digital audio through a Mac Mini. Looking to get into either some Studio 60's or 100's (whichever one I see a good price for first on Kijiji).

I could also go for the Prestige's.. however the adage about avoiding the first production model in a new car line seems to feel prudent, especially with some discord between users compared to v.5 in the Studio line.

1) Assuming I go with either the Studio 60s or 100s, will be using only 2 channels, and listening to digital music and movies from the computer, how much money should I spend on an integrated amp? Also, what would your brand recommendation be? For sentimental reasons I would lean toward Marantz, but am well aware there are most likely better choices. If possible, I would try and avoid an amp with a DAC built in already, would prefer to specialize there, and get the most bang for buck on just an amp.

2) Does anybody here know a lot about DACs? I've been following the Schiit company's story and quite like what they've got going on (as well as their prices), so first choice would be one of their products. Again the reason I'm asking is because I'm not entirely sure at this speaker price point what the best DAC matchup would be.

If you are going to stick with 2 channel then
I would recommend the Outlaw RR2150. You can
Add a sub if you want to and it has analog bass mgmt.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Of course you could spend a lot more money
If you want,but that's not my area of expertise.

#31,896 ·
Hi All,

Are you looking for an AVR or a dedicated amp? Amps will not have any DAC's built into them.

For a DAC there are far too many choices and it should be driven by your music library (i.e. DSD, FLAC, etc.)

#31,898 ·
What do you prefer for surrounds? ADP's or Direct. Currently I have Studio 40v3 and looking to sell and get used ADP 590's
If you want to move towards 3D object surround (Dolby Atmos and DTS:X), you want direct radiating surrounds (timbre matched if possible), not dipoles. Bipoles are second best.

#31,900 ·
What do you prefer for surrounds? ADP's or Direct. Currently I have Studio 40v3 and looking to sell and get used ADP 590's
Keep those Studio 40's, they are an excellent speaker and will serve your needs far better than moving to ADP's, especially as others have stated for MCH and future surround platforms.