Triad In-Room Speakers vs Aerial, Revel, etc. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 177 Old 01-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Speakers showed up yesterday - just in time for "card night" at the Stieg house.

Anyway, they are much more dynamic than the martin logans - I didn't level match them, so obviously the Triads were coming through loud and clear where the ML's were pretty "quiet."

Anyway, they are incredibly heavy! Great speakers!

I had Aerials before, and they are very nice too. However, I definitely prefer the 'softer" sound of the Triads, it sounds more realistic to me, in my room.

I got some of the "holographic" sound I mentioned in an earlier post - now I just need to get them on stands and tweak their positioning. I'm thinking "Home theater meet" in the very near future in Morgan Hilll, CA.

Best,

Stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 01-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The Gold Surrounds are starting to look like April. We did not get the desired sensitivity with the four 2" midrange drivers, so we have since switched to four 4" mids. The estimation is at least 6 dB more output than the current Gold Surround, which already plays to robust levels.

What will the retail be on the new On Wall Gold Surrounds?
post #93 of 177 Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

What will the retail be on the new On Wall Gold Surrounds?

The retail price on both the OnWall and InWall versions of the Gold Surround will be $1500.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #94 of 177 Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Question about triads - i want to add Triad Omni Rounds in ceiling to my basement bar. Problem is - it's drop ceiling - it can't support speaker weight - i guess i need to clamp the box somehow.

Any idea where to listen\\buy triads in Chicago NW suburbs(Arlington heights) ?
post #95 of 177 Old 02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post

Question about triads - i want to add Triad Omni Rounds in ceiling to my basement bar. Problem is - it's drop ceiling - it can't support speaker weight - i guess i need to clamp the box somehow.

Any idea where to listen\\buy triads in Chicago NW suburbs(Arlington heights) ?

The OmniRound5, OmniRound6 and OmniRound8 aren't very heavy, and can work in a drop ceiling, but there may be a bracket for that purpose...I'm not sure. We talked about it last year. Call Bill at Triad at 800 666 6316 and tell him what you're tryiing to do.

To find a dealer, e-mail rep Gary Effert at Tandem Marketing at gaeffert@aol.com or call Tandem at 847 860 1010. Because we're about 99% custom, demos are not easy to find, but we'll help as much as possible. Use my name when you speak with my reps as it tends to enhance their attention a bit.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #96 of 177 Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The OmniRound5, OmniRound6 and OmniRound8 aren't very heavy, and can work in a drop ceiling, but there may be a bracket for that purpose...

Thank you. Do you know what's MSRP on OmniRound5, OmniRound6, OmniRound8 ?
post #97 of 177 Old 02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

OmniRound5 $200 each
OmniRound6 $250 each
OmniRound8 $300 each

All have an integrated sealed enclosure for predictable sound and no annoying bleeding through into adjacent rooms.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #98 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Speakers are very high on my list of things to upgrade this year (and so is a new pre/pro amp combo or new receiver). The current leader in my search are the Focal/JMLabs Solo 6 Be active studio monitors. They sound excellent, neutral, detailed and with great imaging and they list for $1000 each. This puts me in the $3k-$5k price bracket for alternatives. The sub is a seperate upgrade search for me.

I have been following this thread with great interest. I have heard of Triad speakers before and am familiar with their excellent reputation. A set of InRoom Silver LCR's and Surrounds would be right in the middle of my price range, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't save up a little (well alot really) more and get a set of InRoom Golds instead. From everything I've read the Golds are reference quality speakers and I could probably skip an upgrade cycle or even two (I tend to buy new speakers every 4 years or so).

My real quesiton is this: How good are the Silvers compared to the Golds? I know that since all Triads are designed to be accurate they should sound very similar, and I won't be putting them into that large a room at first, but I would be ready should I move them to a larger room later on. Since I doubt I will have the chance to compare these speakers side by side, I am lookng for input from those that have heard both, or that may have done such a comparison. What does one give up going from Gold to Silver? I guess i just have the nagging feeling that if I buy the Silvers I will still want to upgrade to the Golds at some point, which would be even more expensive than just buying a set of InRoom Gold LCRs and Surrounds to begin with.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #99 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

The InRoom Silver LCR is $850, and as of February 15th the InRoom Gold LCR is $1,850, so there's a thousand bucks difference per unit. Triad's margins on the two products are almost the same, which indicates how much more goes into a Gold LCR. The enclosure alone costs us about the same as the entire Silver LCR. The drivers are much more expensive, the shipping carton costs more, freight is more than twice as much, and the crossovers are pricey. Within each price category, I'll put them up against any other LCRs for sound and build quality, but they are not the same animals. In fact, in my own A/B comparison between the Gold LCR and the $3,400 Gold Monitor, the Gold LCR lost, but it was closer than one would think. (Still, I am using Gold Monitors in my theater.)

This is not to imply that the Silver LCR is cheap. The cast-basket Peerless woofer/mid drivers, for example, are stunningly good. In fact, we use them in other products, and we're trying to design some upscale versions of those products with better drivers, and it appears we'll have to spend three times as much to achieve a significant improvement.

In an A/B using the Gold LCR and the Silver LCR, I heard a very similar family sound. When speaker products are designed with absolute accuracy as the reference, there are strong sonic similarities. The Gold LCR sounded a bit more focused with a tad more definition and analytical tightness with almost 3 dB more output capability.

Again, the other speaker brands mentioned throughout this thread are excellent, and you'll have to make the choice.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #100 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

I thought you might be interested in what the raw interior of a Gold LCR looks like after box assembly, with bracing and gluing. This is before any finish work, obviously, and doesn't include any of the foam, which fills the entire enclosure. Note the assymetrical bracing pieces which help break up standing waves within the enclosure. Also note the brass fittings for the cup/crossover...no wood screws anywhere. So, why do we bother doing all this if no one can even see it??

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #101 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 AM

Paul --

First off I want to thank you for your continued involvement here at AVS. I would not have even considered Triad without reading your contributions.

That being said, I was wondering a few things. I know that you have made a couple of statements to the fact that the Gold Monitor is better than the Gold LCR. In terms of dynamic capability, does that still hold true? I see on your site that the monitor series is the 'audiophile' grade of your speakers... is there any plan (or need) for a platinum level in the monitor series?

I am looking for a matched set of 3 speakers for LCR to replace what I have now. I have to have 3 identical speakers (that is what I have now, and simply refuse to go back to mismatched sound) and was wondering if it is OK to turn any of your speakers on their side? I am thinking specifically of the Platinum LCR, as I do not have a transparent screen, and it is too tall to put underneath standing up. However, on its side pointing up would be OK (I have 24" to the bottom of my screen). Am I correct in that the Plat LCR is a sealed speaker? What freq do you suggest in crossing it over to? I use a couple of very capable subs to augment the lower end.

Thanks for any and all info,

Blake
post #102 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Blake: First of all, the Gold LCR is about as "dynamic" as the Gold Monitor, with the same 92 dB sensitivity and roughly the same 150-300 power handling. The Gold Monitor has even higher resolution and refinement. The Gold LCR uses an excellent Seas tweeter, but the Gold Monitor uses all Scan-Speak drivers with the R-29 tweeter that you can get a deal on through Madisound for only $450 each! The R-29 has pretty flat response to 60 kHz. Keep in mind the Gold Monitor costs almost twice as much as the Gold LCR.

All Triad speakers are sealed. I would use a 60 Hz crossover frequency for both the Gold and Platinum LCRs, unless the system will be played abusively loud, and then move it up to 80 Hz. And call an audiologist, because you're going to need some work done...

If you do three Gold Monitors up front, as I am doing, the center has to be turned on it's side. This is not optimum, but it works very well. The Gold LCR and Platinum LCR solve this problem by having center channel versions, with vertically-aligned mids and tweets.

I'm about to be able to stand all three Gold Monitors up in the same plane, when my acoustically transparent Screen Research 80" jobbie gets here...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #103 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 AM

I appreciate the response Paul. Costs notwithstanding, is the Plat LCR a better speaker than the Gold Monitor, or just different? I am making this purchase once, and the Plats are at the high point of my budget. If they are truly worth the extra scratch, then I am OK with that.

I would want 3 of the same speakers. I know that there is a center channel version, but I have had speakers that have all the same drivers, just different lay-outs, and always go back to 3 identical speakers. If I have to hamstring one of them temporarily until I get a acoustic screen, then so be it. Do you know how much of a compromise it would be for the Plats?

Thanks again for your candid and thoughtful comments. I really appreciate it.

Blake
post #104 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 AM

Paul:

As you seem fairly open to giving forum members the current MSRP on select Triad speakers, would you be agreeable (or permitted) to give us the prices for ALL of Triad's speakers?

Thanks ........... Peter (he who all too often cleans up after three doxies ..... bummer!!!)
post #105 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Paul I see your point. I suppose I could always upgrade the front soundstage first and then add Gold Surrounds later if I run short of time, money or patience. Of course I would finally fulfill the upgrade goal I set for myself 2 years ago, which was to make my next upgrade a move to something can hit reference level and that I can keep for a long, long time. In the long run it'll be cheaper than upgrading now and buying something I would want to upgrade from in four years.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #106 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Sean, et al.,

If you're ever in the San Jose, CA area, you're welcome to come by and listen to my setup.

I bought the Gold In Room LCRs site unseen based on a dealer-friend's suggestion. I replaced martin logans, which had been my long standing favorite.

I've had aerial acoustics LR5's, 10T's, and a few others - but I'm really liking the inRoom Golds. Terrific for theater. I don't do much 2-channel, but the listening I do with them is nice (I can't say awe inspiring because 2-channel just doesn't do it for me).

I"m getting the Gold mini-monitors tomorrow for my "rear channels" and can set them up and do a comparison if you like with the inRoom Gold LCRs. Let me know and I'll do it.

Best,

stieger

post #107 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. I originally started this thread a LONG time ago. Well, I ended up buying the Triads. I purchased the In-Room Gold LCRs for my mains and the In-Room Gold Center, so I have the same 3 speakers across the front. For the rears I had to go with an "On-wall" and after talking to a couple of guys from Triad's sales department they told me that the Omni On-Wall Gold surrounds would probably be the closest "Sonic" match to my Gold LCRs up front.

I received the front 3 speakers 4 days ago, and although I haven't done any critical listening I have some some demoing and they are in a word "Smooth". That is the biggest difference I hear so far. Great detail and very smooth. Dialogue is very clear from the center speaker.

My surrounds should arrive in a week or two and I am still waiting for stands/pedastels (right now they are on old speaker stand that are a bit small, but doing the job) for my mains. Once everything arrives I will give a more detailed review, but so far so good.

Paul, do you concur that the On Wall Gold Omnis are going to be my best sonic match with my Gold LCRs since I have to go with an On wall (direct radiator)? I would love to hear your opinion.

I plane on doing some heavy demoing this weekend with the In Room Gold front 3 this weekend.

Take care all...
post #108 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

(audiophile1966)

Let me know what you set your crossover at - just curious. Somewhere in this thread or another Triad thread, Paul suggests a 60Hz Xover. Just wondering if I should then set my subwoofer at 60Hz, or a little lower or higher. Thoughts?

Setting it at 60Hz - no dip in signal or loss of frequency assuming room has no peeks.

Setting Sub X-over at 70Hz, I would lose the 60-70Hz range...

Setting Sub X-over at 80Hz and speakers at 60Hz, I assume I get "too much" within the 60-80Hz range (or is that not totally true??)

Stieger

post #109 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

My Triads fronts are crossed at 70hz and my sub is at 70hz.

You should have them crossed at the same frequency or cancelation and numerous other problems can occur.

Jack
post #110 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlakeG View Post

Costs notwithstanding, is the Plat LCR a better speaker than the Gold Monitor, or just different?

Okay, I seem to have quite a few questions to respond to, and I'll answer all of them, in no particular order, and as time permits.

I started a thread that disappeared immediately some months ago...I don't know how or why...and it had to do with selecting the APPROPRIATE speaker for your application, and not just what might be empirically the best. In the case of the Platinum LCR and the Gold Monitor, let me say I have had both in my 11.5' x 19' theater, and they both excelled, but in different ways. The Gold Monitor is probably more appropriate for my near-field setup, and it has the best dynamic tweeter I know of; better than the Platinum LCR tweeter. The Platinum LCRs, however, play a full 8 dB louder, and I could crush myself against the back wall with them with the huge Parasound amp I was using at the time. I measured 121 dB in my room, which is totally sick. The Platinum is better suited for gonzo theaters where the listeners are 12' - 24' back, and as good as they are, they overpowered me in my room, and as an ex-professional drummer, I have no fear of decibels. The design goal of the Platinum LCR was for it to be the best-sounding LCR available that would play that loud. It also has narrower vertical dispersion, which works better in most theater applications. The appropriate application should be the deciding factor.

So, audiophile monitor with lots of headroom?...or 94.5 dB sensitive LCR that'll handle a kilowatt and break your sternum??

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #111 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Doxies View Post

Paul:

As you seem fairly open to giving forum members the current MSRP on select Triad speakers, would you be agreeable (or permitted) to give us the prices for ALL of Triad's speakers?

Thanks ........... Peter (he who all too often cleans up after three doxies ..... bummer!!!)

I would never refer to a daschund as a "weiner dog" by the way.

We are in the process of revising all price sheets, and I currently don't have a retail version. I should have one within two weeks. If anyone wants one, please e-mail me at pscarpelli@triadspeakers.com and I'll forward it when I have it.
vivatech likes this.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #112 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile1966 View Post

Paul, do you concur that the On Wall Gold Omnis are going to be my best sonic match with my Gold LCRs since I have to go with an On wall (direct radiator)? I would love to hear your opinion...

I was not privy to the conversation you had with the consultant at Triad, and he knows more about your system than I do, but in a direct-radiating situation, Gold Omnis work great with our Bronze, Silver, and Gold LCRs. Some of the Omni drivers are the same drivers used in some of our LCRs.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #113 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

(audiophile1966)

Let me know what you set your crossover at - just curious. Somewhere in this thread or another Triad thread, Paul suggests a 60Hz Xover. Just wondering if I should then set my subwoofer at 60Hz, or a little lower or higher. Thoughts?

Setting it at 60Hz - no dip in signal or loss of frequency assuming room has no peeks.

Setting Sub X-over at 70Hz, I would lose the 60-70Hz range...

Setting Sub X-over at 80Hz and speakers at 60Hz, I assume I get "too much" within the 60-80Hz range (or is that not totally true??)

Stieger

To clarify; with your fronts set to "small"; you can set the receiver or processer to 60 Hz only if you can set your sub's lowpass to 60 Hz, too. If you play movies at face-melting levels, move both crossover points up to 70 or 80 Hz. The Gold LCRs are robust down to 50 Hz, but you'll give up headroom setting the crossover that low.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #114 of 177 Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile1966 View Post

My Triads fronts are crossed at 70hz and my sub is at 70hz.

You should have them crossed at the same frequency or cancelation and numerous other problems can occur.

Jack

I agree with Jack, however, you can flatten out peaks that occur between 60 Hz and 100 Hz by inducing crossover suckout. If you have a nasty peak at, say, 90 Hz, you might try setting the sub at 70 Hz and the fronts at 110 Hz to sit on the peak.

Ouch, that sounds painful...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #115 of 177 Old 02-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Paul/guys,

Good point about the high and low pass if I have a peak - I just need a real time analyzer, or something to indicate where my peaks are. There's a spreadsheet somewhere (I"ll attach it here) that indicates what peaks, dips may occur based on room dimensions, etc.

Paul, sounds like your room of 11.5 x 19 and mine 12 x 22, are pretty similar, most likely the exception is the ceiling - as mine indicates in the picture I attached earlier in the thread, I have an 8ft on the right side, but it slants down starting at the 6ft mark (middle of my room) down to 5ft at the far left wall.

How do you have your room setup? IE., how far out do you have your front speakers from the screen wall? How far back do you sit from the screen (I have a 110") Thanks!

Going to tweak this weekend, and see if I can remove any peaks or dips.

On another note, there are some professional EQs by QSC and Rane that have real-time analyzers and parametric/constant Q EQs - do you think this is a good idea to help flatten the response and get "better" sound?

Thx again, great thread! (Triad = Totally Realistic, Immersive, And Dynamic).

Stieger

post #116 of 177 Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

here's that spreadhseet...

Stieger

Home Theater Setup (Locked).zip 253.447265625k . file

post #117 of 177 Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

How do you have your room setup? IE., how far out do you have your front speakers from the screen wall? How far back do you sit from the screen (I have a 110") Thanks!

(Triad = Totally Realistic, Immersive, And Dynamic).

Stieger

I have my three Gold Monitors in a slight arc at the same height with the center about ten inches from the wall. That entire wall and three feet of the adjacent walls are covered with custom-made acoustical panels done by Dennis Erskine. :thumbs: The 80" screen will be about 4" in front of the center. The two rows of seating are at around 11' and 15'.

I'm in the middle of a remodelling right now, and my theater is disconnected. In fact, I have a washer, dryer, and refrigerator sitting in the uncarpeted theater right now. I have advice if you ever decide to remodel: Don't. Sell the place and buy a new house.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #118 of 177 Old 02-04-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Paul,
I know this is OT but, what screen are you using?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #119 of 177 Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm waiting for a motorized Screen Research 80" which may be the most acoustically neutral screen available. It's a weave, and not perforated. My friends over at THX really like it. (Sorry, wrong part of the Forum...)

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #120 of 177 Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

waiting for a Screen Research 80"

Me too, ordering fixed version on Monday. Thanks for replying sorry for the OT.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page