Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 10823 Old 02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry but this is a bit off topic, what amps are you guys using to power your NHT's?

Only time will tell what the future holds...so until then JAM LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW!
-Rob

My Natalie P project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 06:09 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Trying to determine how well the Four would work in my setup.

11'8" X 21'11" X 8' height room with system on the short wall.

Currently running Mirage M3s with Sony 42A10 and Sony ES 333 receiver with 755 and 975 DVD players.
M3s are 18" front X 8" deep(not including base) X 53" tall.

Fours are 7.5" front X 16" deep by 41" tall.

Obviously I have already turned the M3s perpendicular to the wall to approximate the Fours dimensions(funny how they are almost identical).

So the Fours appear to fit physically in the M3s space.
They would also be a lot less imposing because they are 13" shorter.

My question:
How will the side firing woofer work in my room?
Do they fire inward(pics have them that way)?
Will bass be similiar to the m3s?
Will bass sound disjointed since they are firing to the side?
According to NHT the Fours will go lower than my M3s. Hard to believe.
M3s are 32Hz -2db and 25Hz -10db.
Fours are 27Hz at(?db).

How is the dispersion overall compared to the M3s?
I realize we are talking about a point source vs. a bipolar speaker so there will be differences.

Sony ES will be traded out probably for Parasound or NAD.
post #273 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 09:05 AM

I bought some SuperTwos off a friend not too long ago. I wonder if these would be a good choice to match them sonicly?
post #274 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

If you get Fours, you won't need a sub, let alone a 10" one!

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you input the LFE channel to the system? I have no doubt that the lower extension from the fronts would be phenomenal, but wonder if the sub would be needed to handle the LFE channel. I assume I must be missing something, so please clue me in!

-KK
post #275 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

11'8" X 21'11" X 8' height room with system on the short wall.

One key thing here is to not put them too close to the wall. What you should do is measure the distance from your head to the speaker. Then put a mirror on the wall so you can see the speaker, then measure the distance from the speaker to the mirror and from the mirror to you. It should be 5'-6' (or more) longer. There is a way to fix this if it isn't, but it requires hanging things on your wall.
Quote:

How will the side firing woofer work in my room?

Woofers essentially don't care unless they're really close to something.
Quote:

Do they fire inward(pics have them that way)?

Either way, which ever works best.
Quote:

Will bass be similiar to the m3s?

Different probably. A little weightier, but less warm and soft.
Quote:

Will bass sound disjointed since they are firing to the side?

No, not at all.
Quote:

According to NHT the Fours will go lower than my M3s. Hard to believe.

Not that hard to believe if you know NHT!
Quote:

How is the dispersion overall compared to the M3s?

Wider, but it doesn't have the reverberant field from the back wall. Set up properly, the sound will be cleaner in a narrow room.

John
post #276 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalb55 View Post

I bought some SuperTwos off a friend not too long ago. I wonder if these would be a good choice to match them sonicly?

Well, technically no, but they'd be a good temporary choice. No speaker will match any other speakers really well unless they share the same drivers and design.

John
post #277 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktx View Post

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you input the LFE channel to the system? I have no doubt that the lower extension from the fronts would be phenomenal, but wonder if the sub would be needed to handle the LFE channel. I assume I must be missing something, so please clue me in!

The receiver will simply redirect the LFE channel to the towers. Nothing goes missing. In essence, the LFE is pretty much a duplication of the bass from the other channels anyway. What they *should* have done was to have bass management for a subwoofer, but have the .1 channel be a "special effects" channel for a bass transducer only, not for a subwoofer, thereby allowing a system to be a 5.1+1 setup or 5.0+1 or something like that. But that's not what we got, so there's little creative use of that channel and it's basically redundant and you can simply add it in with the other channels without losing a thing anyway. Completely useless, really, as it is used. So, even if you were to lose it (and you don't), it wouldn't matter anyway, thereby giving you two reasons not to worry about it.

John
post #278 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

In essence, the LFE is pretty much a duplication of the bass from the other channels anyway.

Not the place for it, but that is not true. Many times, the LFE is it's own independent channel -- no other channels receive that signal. I won't argue with anyone running the front mains as large speakers, as people have different rooms and tastes, but I firmly believe in the use of a subwoofer for at least the LFE channel.

Oh, and I'm pretty anxious to hear these Fours....hopefully the local dealers here have actual showrooms unlike the last NHT "dealer" I visited.
post #279 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Not the place for it, but that is not true.

Well, it seems to be true more often than it isn't, I'm afraid. Not that it matters, it's why we can fold it into the fronts. Because of the way the system is done, there's not much reason to differentiate it. And, unless everything is phased right, an LFE sub with large speakers is more likely to cancel than add. It's why I recommend dual subs with satellites over towers with a single sub.

John
post #280 of 10823 Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I like ,often, to have the ability to blend in the sub to the towers at a much lower freq.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #281 of 10823 Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Alimental,

Thanks for the repsonse and the advice.
I think I have more trepidation about going with a point source type speaker than I
do about buying new speakers in general.
The Mirages are old friends and I am comfortable with their voicing and soundstage.

I am sure my dealer will let me take the Fours home for a demo.

It will be interesting to have a speaker that will go even lower than the M3s.(not that I am that much into bass). Just spoiled I guess.
I wonder what the Fours are rated at -10db?

I also think this new room I am in will be able to handle the more accurate highs of the Fours than my other house was.
post #282 of 10823 Old 02-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Well, it seems to be true more often than it isn't, I'm afraid. Not that it matters, it's why we can fold it into the fronts. Because of the way the system is done, there's not much reason to differentiate it. And, unless everything is phased right, an LFE sub with large speakers is more likely to cancel than add. It's why I recommend dual subs with satellites over towers with a single sub.

Interesting debate regarding the value (and role) of the LFE channel over the past few posts. Given your last sentence, would you recommend a U2 (perhaps with 3s and a 3c in the front) over the 10 or 12? Since I also like the idea of a sub receiving a dedicated LFE signal, perhaps I'd be happier going that way (though I expect two channel sound would be much better with the 4s rather than a U2/3 combination).

In thinking about this further, another alternate approach might be to add a dedicated amplifier and bi-amp the fours (and then route the LFE there), correct?

KK
post #283 of 10823 Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

kktx,

Hmmmm.
Hadn't thought of that.
Would you crossover at 80Hz?
post #284 of 10823 Old 02-15-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

kktx,

Hmmmm.
Hadn't thought of that.
Would you crossover at 80Hz?

Yes--I probably would, if I went this route. Interested in what others might think!
post #285 of 10823 Old 02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, technically, a Three/U1 or U2 combo would be a bit better than a Four, even bi-amped, as would a Three with dual Twelves. I'm trying to convince NHT to do a "Classified" version of the U1/U2 or the Xd subwoofer for the Threes AND/OR a "Classic Five" AND/OR a dual woofer, tower version of the Three. Not doing well as far as I can tell, but I persevere.

John
post #286 of 10823 Old 02-16-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BachToRock View Post

Hey Jack!
Do the new THREE & FOUR have the Mid & Tweeter wired in reverse polarity in relation to the Woofers like the 2.9 & 3.3?
The FOUR might fill the bill as full range rears!

Is Jack still visiting these forums... no response to this question?

NHT CLASSIC FOUR's Front & Rear, CLASSIC 3C, Classic 12 Sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30, DVD-3800BDCI, HD-XA2, SONY TA-P9000ES Preamp, BRYSTON and Marantz Amplifiers...
post #287 of 10823 Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Well, technically, a Three/U1 or U2 combo would be a bit better than a Four, even bi-amped, as would a Three with dual Twelves. I'm trying to convince NHT to do a "Classified" version of the U1/U2 or the Xd subwoofer for the Threes AND/OR a "Classic Five" AND/OR a dual woofer, tower version of the Three. Not doing well as far as I can tell, but I persevere.

Perhaps that would be a good match for me (U2+3s). I like the flexibility of the outboard amplification with the U2, as well. Thanks for the input.
post #288 of 10823 Old 02-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know options are vast on the preferences for mid-level receivers, Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer. I have listened and owned the various 1K models of each and also owned older sets of SB1 and SuperTwos. I am awaiting the avail of the Threes but I am also in the market for a 1K receiver. With feature sets aside, which historically and best guess on upcoming Threes as to which 1K AVR mates nicely to NHTs? I keep coming back to NAD lines but can not locate a local store that provide NAD and NHT in the same shop. I am 70% HT and 30% music. Is NAD still a good fit for the NHTs, or does others fall into the mix knowing NHT performance? Thanks for the input...
post #289 of 10823 Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM

For 1K AVRs, I would short list NAD, HK, and Marantz.

Maybe the Cambridge Audio AVR as well.

The Sherwood Newcastle made Boston Acoustics AVR for $999 should definitely be considered.
post #290 of 10823 Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Robert,

Don't know where you are located but if you are in South Carolina
there is a shop in Charleston that carries both NHT and NAD and also Denon.
PM me or post here and I will give it to you.

They are also a Parasound HALO dealer.

How close are we to the Threes and Four's availability?
Anyone?
post #291 of 10823 Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 AM

Johnathan from NHT told my gf 4 or 5 days ago that it would now be in early March...So I would be willing to bet its mid-late March.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #292 of 10823 Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 209
NHT originally introduced these speakers (with different model numbers) at in an official newsletter in December of 2004
http://www.nhthifi.com/press/newslet...oliday2004.htm
They were shown at CES in January and were to be relased shortly after. They later withdrew them for unstated reasons.

The official reannouncement of these speakers, now branded as the Classic line, was made again in August of 2005 just prior to CEDIA. Again, the release date was scheduled for shortly afterwards.

We are now almost in March of 2006, 15 months after the original announcement and these speakers (at least the 3-way versions) still have not been released. I think we are very close to a vaporware situation. Until someone actually sees these on a showroom floor available for sale, I would not take very seriously any predictions about imminent release. These guys have an abyssmal track record on this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #293 of 10823 Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

We are now almost in March of 2006, 15 months after the original announcement and these speakers (at least the 3-way versions) still have not been released. I think we are very close to a vaporware situation. Until someone actually sees these on a showroom floor available for sale, I would not take very seriously any predictions about imminent release. These guys have an abyssmal track record on this.

I have already moved into another direction with my purchase of speakers. How long are we to wait... Maybe NHT should refrain from making any announcement until there in hand. They have lost this customer. I was set to purchase 2 - 4s, 4 - 3s, 1 - 3c, and a twelve for my theater room... Maybe in a few years when they begin showing up on Ebay I may look again... Shame on NHT...
post #294 of 10823 Old 02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
m*design eleganza streamline towers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

different people entitled to a different oppinion. i purchased 2 pairs of 7' streamline towers over a year ago to replace my aging nht 3.3(2 pairs) speakers. their mids and their staging just beautiful. their look is up to ones individual taste. these towers will have u close your eyes. and open your ears for a wonderful experience. have a glass of wine and listen to angelical music.

Look out Monsters have come into the NHT thread

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #295 of 10823 Old 02-24-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

While I understand the frustration, anyone who buys something now instead of waiting a few more weeks will eventually regret it. The performance of these is simply stunning for the money. Or even regardless of it.

Regarding the Monster speakers, I haven't heard them, but several people have come in after hearing them to tell me how incredibly poor sounding they were. Could be the setup, but with so many people saying it, I doubt it will cause me any losses. The only thing causing me issues is NHT's inability to get these out on time. Besides, the Monster speakers aren't really very good designs. They're lifesyle designs.

John
post #296 of 10823 Old 02-25-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coues View Post

I have already moved into another direction with my purchase of speakers. How long are we to wait... Maybe NHT should refrain from making any announcement until there in hand. They have lost this customer. I was set to purchase 2 - 4s, 4 - 3s, 1 - 3c, and a twelve for my theater room... Maybe in a few years when they begin showing up on Ebay I may look again... Shame on NHT...

I too feel your pain.But,do you really not have the patience to wait 7,14,or maybe at most 30 days for some speakers that may very well be worth all the wait? For the kind of money you are spending I just hope you dont make an irrational decision and spend all that loot on some speakers that arent as good just because they didnt arrive when they said they would.I already paid Alimentall for mine so I know how hard it is to wait for something you want so bad.I just hope you dont regret not waiting just a little bit longer.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #297 of 10823 Old 02-25-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Besides, the Monster speakers aren't really very good designs. They're lifesyle designs.

While not my cup of tea, line driver arrays have a lot of advocates, and I don't want to confuse trying to "dress-up" a speaker with trying to build for looks FIRST and sound second. The Monsters are by no means "pretty", and they don't have much WAF except in a very modern decor room.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #298 of 10823 Old 02-25-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHT4LIFE View Post

I too feel your pain.But,do you really not have the patience to wait 7,14,or maybe at most 30 days for some speakers that may very well be worth all the wait? For the kind of money you are spending I just hope you dont make an irrational decision and spend all that loot on some speakers that arent as good just because they didnt arrive when they said they would.I already paid Alimentall for mine so I know how hard it is to wait for something you want so bad.I just hope you dont regret not waiting just a little bit longer.

I have plenty of patience. Let's mark this date - 30 days from today and you will have your speakers on or before March 26th. Going back to the very first post, NHT says they were to be out in October of 2005, of which was 148 days ago. What happen, did the boat sink, get lost, decided to cross the Bermuda Triangle never to be seen again...

My question - Do I really want to own a set of speakers that the company can not even post on their website of why the delay? NHT can't even be up front with their distributors let alone tell the public of what is causing the delay...

My hard earn dollars will be spent with someone that has my best interest at heart, that cares for those that back their company and will return my emails
post #299 of 10823 Old 02-25-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coues View Post

I have plenty of patience. Let's mark this date - 30 days from today and you will have your speakers on or before March 26th. Going back to the very first post, NHT says they were to be out in October of 2005, of which was 148 days ago. What happen, did the boat sink, get lost, decided to cross the Bermuda Triangle never to be seen again...

Actually, that was the Absolute Zeros, Twos, Tens and Twelves, all of which arrived in November. A bit late, but not much. The Three/Four/2C/3C were scheduled for late November.
Quote:

My question - Do I really want to own a set of speakers that the company can not even post on their website of why the delay? NHT can't even be up front with their distributors let alone tell the public of what is causing the delay...

It's manufacturing delays because of vendors. They can't really control it, though I do believe they should adopt a policy of "no announcements until it's rolling off the assembly line".
Quote:

My hard earn dollars will be spent with someone that has my best interest at heart, that cares for those that back their company and will return my emails

Well, I don't know that any company has anybody's best interest at heart. They want to build products, sell products, make money. Each has their own style. I like NHT's style in general, but they sure could have handled this better. But it's not like they *meant* to do it. They just (again) made the mistake of announcing a product before it was ready to be built in quantity.

John
post #300 of 10823 Old 02-25-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

NHT4life, with 9 posts and such dogged determination to stick with this until death, you are, indeed, a rare and admirable anomolie amongst consumers.

Quote:

Delays can occur, even repeated ones, look at past situations with some ID electronics (pre-pros), etc.. Anticipated like the second coming, Nothing new .

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page