New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #721 of 10973 Old 04-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since my M6s/U2/L5s arrived on Friday, I did some quick listening in my living room this weekend as framing of the HT is already half done and I wanted to be sure that everything functioned on delivery (at least that's what I told my wife). Listened to a pair of M6s with the U2, and also listened to the L5s (which will function as side and rear surrounds) with the U2. Listened to lossless digital files through a Sony 777ES receiver (don't smirk--actually a decent piece of equipment, though it will be replaced by a Denon 4306 in the HT).

My impressions:

1. The M6s blew my previous setup (PSB Image 6Ts and sub) away. I never liked the midrange on the PSBs, even though they were adequate for movies (with an Image 9C center and 3LR rears). I heard plenty of details that I've never heard before in my living room. I would have been disappointed if I had gone for the L5s in the front. They were adequate and matched reasonably, but not in the same class as the M6s that will serve as front and center channels. Though it's highly subjective and based on recollection, I don't remember being as impressed by the T5 (M5/B5 combination) I heard previously, despite the fact that the room where I heard the T5 was acoustically treated.

2. I'm very happy I didn't wait for the Classics. First, I think the lack of high gloss with the classics is better for a dedicated HT. I'm blown away by how good the U2/M6 combination sounded (even with the subs poorly placed and the M6s sitting way too high on top of my PSB towers). I'm also not sure what I would have done for side and rear surrounds if I had gone the classic route--the aesthetics of the L5s in the matching anthracite is great, and I didn't like the idea of mounting bookshelf speakers in a nice room. We actually mounted PSB bookshelf speakers in several rooms when we built our house, and I still think they look awkward. I'd hate to compromise sound greatly by going with in-wall speakers, so the on-wall L5s were a reasonable compromise. I also love the flexibility of the dual U2 cabinets and the A1/X1--this should facilitate proper tweaking once the room is done.

3. I was sure that it was a right decision to go back to NHT when I opened the owner's kit. Don't want to ruin any surprises, but inside the small "open me first" box was:

--the Evolution manual
--a pair of white cloth gloves
--two high quality screwdrivers (#1 and #2) each etched with the NHT logo
--best of all, an NHT logo nut tightening tool with a bottle opener at the other end!

Most fun opening something since I got the first gen iPod, and worked my way through the little treasure boxes inside the outside packaging.

I'll look forward to hearing about the Classic Series, but would also suggest that anyone looking to upgrade an older setup might want to seriously reconsider going with the Evolution speakers (while they're still around) if they're less than blown away with the Classics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10973 Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

KKTX,

I want you to write the classified add for my T6/M6 System I am selling!
post #723 of 10973 Old 04-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darian View Post

KKTX,

I want you to write the classified add for my T6/M6 System I am selling!

If only I would have known before purchasing--they might have been in my living room! Note that there are deals to be had on the M6/U2, so consider that accordingly when setting pricing. That said--why would you give them up?!? I don't like the look of the pedestals, but can only imagine what they sound like if they're even marginally better than my setup, as I would expect.

-KK
post #724 of 10973 Old 04-24-2006, 04:55 PM

well boys and girls....I went back to Oklahoma City today and checked out the Revel M22's again only this time I brought my own cd's with me and I can tell you...That deep soundstage that I heard with their cd was gone with my own burned(320kbps)media.I did however get to audition the new D-BOX theater seating and that is AWESOME.It really makes you feel like your actually IN the movie,not just watching it.So all in all,my favorite has now changed to the NHT M6.I will demo my Threes upon arrival and if they dont suit me I will go with the M6's used.Tonygeno or BachtoRock be ready just in case.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #725 of 10973 Old 04-24-2006, 09:32 PM

Last thing a nice sound system needs is someone complaining in the background! I give her dirty looks when she runs the sink while I'm trying to listen to stuff~~~
post #726 of 10973 Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srowin View Post

Last thing a nice sound system needs is someone complaining in the background! I give her dirty looks when she runs the sink while I'm trying to listen to stuff~~~

Actually....she isnt complaining about me getting NHT's.She is complaining about me not wanting to wait on the Threes and just get a used pair of M6's.She preferred the NHT M6's to every other speaker we auditioned.I was tired of waiting(on Threes)and she told me that if I didnt at least wait and listen to the Threes then I may regret it,which is true.If I wouldnt have had her around I may have settled on the Revel M12's which may have been a bad decision considering the Revel M22's at 2200 per pair didnt sound as good as the NHT M6's to either of us.Anyone that has a serious budget should look into D-BOX.That was the funnest way I have ever seen a movie at home by far !!!!

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #727 of 10973 Old 04-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I guess john hasn't got his 3's in yet.
Allen
post #728 of 10973 Old 04-25-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They're in QC now, supposedly leaving tomorrow. I just haven't been in the mood to talk about it, nor do I like getting my hopes or anyone else's up. But they say they got in the second shipment, so I'm on tap for a bunch this week, and a bunch is about what it will take to make a decent dent in my backlog.

John
post #729 of 10973 Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

Measurements from S&V and HT Mag of the M5 are quasi-anechoic.

The HT Mag is quasi, the S&V most certainly isn't. When they measured the Xd system, certifiably accurate by design, they measured almost identical to the T5 setup, because, in fact, they measured the room, not the speaker. If they were both quasi-anechoic, they would have measured similarly and the results couldn't have been more different. But the guy from S&V is really a dumbass who thinks he knows way more about audio than he does. I thought he was a dumbass 10 years ago and, well, he hasn't done anything to fix that. It's why he works for S&V and not a real magazine. If you read how he measured it, it's like he wanted to measure the room, but we don't hear the way a microphone does. We hear the anechoic sound first, *then* we hear the reverb (if you set them up properly). NHT apparently sent a letter of complaint to S&V about the Xd measurements, asking for new measurements or a retraction or something like that but I haven't heard what happened with that.

BTW, you can say something is quasi-anechoic, but if you didn't gate it properly, as happened in the S&V measurements, it comes out measuring the room anyway.

John
post #730 of 10973 Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM

What's a "quasi-anechoic" chamber? Is that like being a little bit pregnant? I do know what a real anechoic chamber is--I spent some time in the anechoic chamber in the building where sonar was developed at MIT, but I'm not sure how you're defining this. I'll also say here that until you've been in an anechoic chamber, you have no idea what silence really is. I can only compare the experience to seeing the Milky Way for the first time in the mountains (in the absence of light pollution) after leaving a city.
post #731 of 10973 Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not a chamber, it's a gating method that cuts off the signal after a certain time so that the reflections are cut out of the measurement since they would be delayed by 5ms or so. It is easier that moving the speakers to a real anechoic chamber. Whatshisname from S&V doesn't know how to set the gating properly, which makes his measurements entirely useless. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

John
post #732 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM

well....a fellow poster on this thread has contacted me via pm to tell me that his Threes sound very,very nice.He said the soundstage is huge with great imaging and detail,and that they were well worth the wait.He also stated that he didnt hear them as being "bright" like another fellow forum member had posted.He also said that they are well worth the wait and that I wont be dissapointed.Thanks go out to him for sending me the pm,you know who you are ;- )

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #733 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHT4LIFE View Post

well....a fellow poster on this thread has contacted me via pm to tell me that his Threes sound very,very nice.He said the soundstage is huge with great imaging and detail,and that they were well worth the wait.He also stated that he didnt hear them as being "bright" like another fellow forum member had posted.He also said that they are well worth the wait and that I wont be dissapointed.Thanks go out to him for sending me the pm,you know who you are ;- )

Could you post his comments, with his permission? Or maybe this mystery person would be willing to post them himself? Or maybe there's nothing that you didn't already paraphrase.
post #734 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 AM

I dont think he'll mind.Ill post them then if he wants I'll remove them.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #735 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 AM

A few initial impressions.

Bass goes lower than both the M5 and SB-1. In fact if you're in a smallish room you could get by fine w/o a sub. I have a NHT U2 subwoofer system that is awesome, hence, I crossover at 80 and rely more on the U2 for my Bass.

The Tweeter is superb, extremely accurate and true to the recording.

Soundstage is huge, perhaps the biggest improvement from the M5. Moving around my room I receive a much fuller sound than before.

Imaging is excellent, again better than both the SB-1 and M5.

One other thing I noticed is that these speakers can rock. I had them cranked pretty good and didn't hear the slightest hint of distortion.

Be interested in hearing your impressions when you get yours.

If the member that sent me this pm would like it to be removed please pm me and I will remove immediately.Thanks,
Charlie Beller

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #736 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A few initial impressions.

Thanks! One more week (I hope).
post #737 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 PM

The Classic speaker logjam must be cleared somewhat, as we now have a Forum sponsor running this banner ad:

The changes in the NHT dealer agreement that was discussed earlier in this thread are now reflected in the recently updated authorized Internet dealer listing shown on NHT's web site. What was somewhere around eight or nine "authorized e-tailer" listings, is now just three: Audio Advisor, Listen Up and OneCall. It will be interesting to see if the street prices will be affected by the new marketing agreement put in place by NHT.
post #738 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

My order for 3's shipped today. I got a UPS tracking email from NHT this morning. They are all sold so I will not get to listen to them but I know if I am getting them, most dealers will have them too. I was late getting on the list.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #739 of 10973 Old 04-27-2006, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been lurking here and just decided to join up and describe my new Classic Three's that arrived yesterday. Some background:

I had three NHT Super Ones as left, center right and some Boston Dipoles in the surround position and an NHT SA-2 Sub Amp driving 2 SW2Si passive subs. It's been my baby for 8 years or so. Well, the center woofer blew out and I was looking to replace with a 2C or 3C. While I was waiting for that I got the idea of replacing the main Super Ones with the new Classic Three's and moving one Super One to center. Eventually I will get the 3C center and move the SuperOnes to rear in 7.1 config.

The first thing is the bolt distance on the C3's is wider than the S1's so I had to buy a new bracket - I have them mounted to the front wall. No problem with the OmniMount 20.

I haven;t yet tweaked with the Sub crossover or run the auto setup on the Yamaha Amp which balances/eq the channels so this was done with just analog and PCM stereo. My first impression was that the C3's have a similar character as the S1's in that they are accurate and intense. I definately notice the lower cutoff and need to look at what the sub crossover is at as there is a liitle coupling there now. The C3's sound more complex (best word I can come up with) and I guess I can believe that the little foam thingy that seperates the tweeter and midrange does some useful function (some assembly required

The C3's are definately an upgrade to my system and I'm sure over time with more music-hours I'll discover even more I like about them.

One thing though. It also made me remember and realize again just how damn good those Super Ones were (are) for the money. I will miss telling friends who are amazed by them that they only cost 300/pr. I have in another room a pair of B&W 705 which are also a great speaker and I'll look forward to comparing these C3's against them.
post #740 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM

wattsiskey

Congrats on the arrival!

Tell us more, they are "complex" - a good and yet possibly bad feature.

Waiting, but not in vain I hope to witness this complexity.

Enjoy!
post #741 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 AM

Welcome to the forum wattsiskey !!! We cant wait for other comments about the Threes.Isnt the B&W 705 about $1500 per pair?If so,that wont be a really fair comparison to the NHT 3's but I have a feeling they will hold their own against them once you have the 3's set up properly and you put both pairs of speakers on stands instead of the OM-20's.I also have OM-20's and I moved my NHT SB-3's to the rear awaiting my new Threes and I feel they lost some of their imaging, and soundstage as a result of taking them off the 24" stands.Are the B&W's also on OM's?Just curious.Thanks againg for your first impressions and we look forward to a more detailed review in the future.

C Beller

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #742 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I have a feeling

self fullfilling prophecy?

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #743 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeterex View Post

Wait Tweeter, it should get better; don't jump the gun.

Rock on.
post #744 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeterex View Post

If you call it that then so be it.I have yet to hear a B&W that I liked better than an NHT.I preferred the NHT M6 much much more than the B&W 705.In fact,I couldnt believe the price when he said they retail for $1500 per pair.If he was joking thats fine,but if he was serious I think B&W is putting the high hard one in alot of customers.By the way tweeterex,what brands do you carry?If its B&W then I can see why you take what I say and bend it to distort the truth.And the truth is is that B&W (to me) isnt near as "smart" of a buying decision as NHT is.Dont know many that will disagree on this thread either.When my Threes get here Ill take them to the B&W dealer and do a double blind in store cuz the dealer already said hed like to hear them.So well see who the winner is then.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #745 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When my Threes get here Ill take them to the B&W dealer and do a double blind in store cuz the dealer already said hed like to hear them.So well see who the winner is then.

Does it really count as much of a double blind if you're already familiar with one speaker and can pick it out? Sort of like doing a double blind on Coke/Pepsi. I know what Coke tastes like and in asking me which of two options I prefer, you're not testing what I like, you're testing whether I can perceive a consistent difference between the two.
post #746 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwardfh View Post

Does it really count as much of a double blind if you're already familiar with one speaker and can pick it out? Sort of like doing a double blind on Coke/Pepsi. I know what Coke tastes like and in asking me which of two options I prefer, you're not testing what I like, you're testing whether I can perceive a consistent difference between the two.

I would agree with this thinking Matt [Nothing tastes like a real Coke; especially not a Pepsi!], but if Charlie does this test before he has had a chance to get any seat time with the Threes, then it would be far more telling. The dealer would have heard the B&W enough to pick them out, but perhaps disinterested third parties could cast their votes as well? Definitely would be an interesting test to conduct. Would be fun to add a pair of M6es in to the mix as well.
post #747 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have only heard the Threes on Omnimounts, you haven't heard the Threes!

John
post #748 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Exactly,I listened to the B&W 705's last weekend for about 20-30 minutes and havent received the Threes yet.So if I take them in when I get them then it should be fair with my ears.The B&W dealer should already know the sound of the 705's so his judging may be biased.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #749 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Welcome to the forum wattsiskey !!! We cant wait for other comments about the Threes.Isnt the B&W 705 about $1500 per pair?If so,that wont be a really fair comparison to the NHT 3's but I have a feeling they will hold their own against them once you have the 3's set up properly and you put both pairs of speakers on stands instead of the OM-20's.I also have OM-20's and I moved my NHT SB-3's to the rear awaiting my new Threes and I feel they lost some of their imaging, and soundstage as a result of taking them off the 24" stands.Are the B&W's also on OM's?Just curious.Thanks againg for your first impressions and we look forward to a more detailed review in the future.

C Beller

Yes, the B&W are $1500/pr and I have it paired with a B&W sub. It is beautiful cherry wood and sounds imaculate, particularly with my jazz collection. The thing is that I think I like different systems for different types of music. A comparrison for me would occur over a long period of time as I see which music I enjoy listening to on each system. I suspect that the new Classic 3's will get more music played on it than the S1's, but also I am influenced by the room situation and the fact that the NHT's are part of a whole 5.1 system so live concert videos recorded that way I listen to them (and enjoy it very much). The NHT 3's are mounted on the front wall, but the whole wall is covered with 2" sound absorbing foam and there is foam around the room at so they image very well.
post #750 of 10973 Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Does anyone know exactly what stands the Threes are on in the image way back in post number 15 of this thread ?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page