New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 10823 Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
El stumbo, my rears are on my back wall and sound great! Again, it is better to have them at ear level. but if that would put them too close to you.....pick the lesser of two evils, in which case I believe the rear wall is the lesser evil. Not ideal, but more ideal that too close. BUT......listen to YOUR ears. It's your call. You can do some great things with room time delay and set up with the receiver to set it up to your sitting position. But in my demo room I could have several people listening.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10823 Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

el stumbo - you might consider just going with a 3.1 system; it will still sound awesome. Get the 3c, its well worth the few extra $.
post #903 of 10823 Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

el stumbo - you might consider just going with a 3.1 system; it will still sound awesome. Get the 3c, its well worth the few extra $.

I would like to have the sorround speakers - I think they should be fun to have.

Money is not an issue. It is just spacing that is a problem. The 3C may well find a nice place by my telie - am strongly considering.

Then again, maybe money is an issue, I can't afford a million dollar home which would give me the space I need. Does anyone have some cash they wish to donate to a good cause?

But, for the speakers...NHT Classic speakers are very reasonably priced with everything I need for listening to be very happy. I agree with srowin.

Ill take it step by step - I'm in no big hurry. Obviously as I waited for these bloody things to appear from the relms of the universe.
post #904 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 03:52 AM

LOL. I had to join after reading this long thread. I use to be a big NHT fan, and I am hoping to be again. I just got off of a stint with Von S. VR1 speakers. I felt they were great, but lacked the bass of the SB3s, which I missed, and the VR1s finish sucked compared to the SB3s NHT Gloss Black. I did like the overall tone of the VR1s over the NHT SB3s. More on that in a bit. But I am betting that I will like the NHT Threes most of all.

BTW, is the finish on the Threes like the SB3s or different? I thought the finish on the SB3 was seemingly like a solid block of onyx, seemless and perfect. The NHT Three pictures show a "line" towards the front on the sides. like it was a separate panel or something. I would have to see it in person to tell if that would be an finish "Downgrade" if you will.

I just found out about the NHT Three speakers. So for me the timing was perfect. Product delays didn't phase ME! Now I just need to save up 800 dollars. Hopefully a dealer can do 10% off, and shorten my saving up time. If I buy the Threes, I will pair them with a Nad Amp. I was thinking the c325bee. Or do you think I need or signifigantly benifit from the power (and added expense *Sigh*) of the c372 (anyone)?

I don't want a sub. I prefer my movies and music without one, at least in the setting of a bedroom or small living room. I like tight fast musical bass, but I could care less about the bass thumping of subs, they are never fast enough to keep up. But I DO like bass when done right. It does not need to be picture shaking to be tight, fast, deep, and musical. And lets face it, quality subs that meet my needs are too dam expensive, and then housemates complain anyway. I would rather just buy the Fours, still skip the subs, and at least then I would have a better blend of bass and other ranges. But I can not afford the Fours, nor do I have a big room to enjoy them in, and they would be overkill. So I am hoping the Threes will have enough bass for me not to miss the bass, ya know? I felt the SB3s had enough. How does the SB3s bass compare to the Threes?

The nice thing about floorstanders is that you dont need speaker stands, which I hate the looks of. Plus it is hard to find a good set of stands that will not break the bank, making you wonder why you did not go for the floorstanders in the first place. I would often just place my SB3s or whatever on a dresser or something! I wish they would make a cheaper tower that is just the Three with a stand built in, like the Supertwo was (like that little bottom woofer did anything!). The Supertwo was only $750 at one point, but the Fours are too expensive for my buget.

I also like the vocals to be airy and somewhat forward. Or at the very least not overpowered by the other ranges. I also like alot of treble it seems. Very few speakers can please me in the mid to upper ranges it seems. I feel that the Superones had this down right (the VR1s too), and was a fun speaker because of it. Lively. But the SB3/4 seemed vocal or treble recessed compared to the Superone, but the SB3 bass was better. And the Super Audio series had more detail overal it seemed, was a better speaker series perhaps, but at the expense of the airy vocals and treble of the superones. Perhaps I have the wording wrong, but the Superone did have something the SB3 lacked, and I missed it. And the VR1's had it too. But I also found that I could no longer enjoy the Superone or VR1s as much. I need another octave of quality bass, at least what the SB3 had or a bit more. the SB3 had better/more bass slam too. The Superones/VR1s excelled in that they were just extra Airy and Clear when it came to the vocals in songs. I used to think this was because of the tweeter change from fabric dome to metal. Perhaps there was more to it than I thought, perhaps it was an upper midrange issue. The NHT Three has me excited about a hopeful improvement in this area. Like combining the best of the Superone and SB3, and adding that next level of refindment/improvement too. All this is just my opinions of course, and with my limited understanding to explain it.

So I am going to use my Nad NHT combo with my iMac Intel Core Duo. Does that sound strange? Well the thing has a BLING worthy 20" Widescreen LCD built in, and a good one too. My 500GB hard drive stores all my ripped (Full Quality) dvds. A click of the space bar and they play. Fade in, no previews. I rip a itunes jukebox full of songs (also full quality), and the thing even has a digital out, and I can get a projecter later, with extended desktop support. My Front Row remote and Bluetooth keyboard takes care of the controls from my easy chair or bed. What more can a man ask for? Of course the DAC and Projector would be an upgrade I would only do much later, but its a plan anyways. I even got the thing to act as a decent Tivo with my eyetv 200 (the eyetv 250 even lets you play lagless PS2 games on your LCD!). Its my all in one bat computer. I record the tv shows, edit it in minutes, and pump out a dvd for friends and family. Now I just need good sound for it. Computer speakers suck.

So thats where I am, hopefully the Threes are up to the task of what I crave sound wise. Sounds like they are, but I need a demo, or I guess I could order a single speaker to try them out with lower risk. Any thoughts on my situation?
post #905 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm selling Porsche 911s for $5000. Give me your credit card

You CAN actually deliver?

Most grey market sellers WILL actually get you new product, they just lack service support, of course, the real question is what happens when you send it directly to the manufacturer without a receipt (saying it was a gift and you don't know where it was purchased) or send the receipt from the unauthorized seller and see if the manufacturer will fix it anyway.
The surprising thing is that they have found a dealer to sell it to them sideways for so little.
Of course, there are usually no shortage of dealers who need cash now and will pay the manufacturer on the speakers 90 days out.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #906 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el stumbo View Post

NHT4LIFE seems to find no problem having the surrounds up on the back wall. I think this is what I will have to do. Hope it works...NHT, are your speakers pointed down or at an angle or???

The only way Icould place the SB-3 above the door was to put it sideways

It stills sounds good though.Im not complaining.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #907 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 06:27 AM

I have a small room also. I'm using Classic Threes in the front but opted for the superzero's on the back wall mounted near the ceiling. Works fine as I only use the surrounds for the occasional movie. Chose the superzero's because there only 5" deep. This allows me to get the couch a lttle further back towards the wall and out of the center of the room.
post #908 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I don't want a sub. I prefer my movies and music without one, at least in the setting of a bedroom or small living room. I like tight fast musical bass, but I could care less about the bass thumping of subs, they are never fast enough to keep up. But I DO like bass when done right. It does not need to be picture shaking to be tight, fast, deep, and musical. And lets face it, quality subs that meet my needs are too dam expensive, and then housemates complain anyway. I would rather just buy the Fours, still skip the subs, and at least then I would have a better blend of bass and other ranges. But I can not afford the Fours, nor do I have a big room to enjoy them in, and they would be overkill. So I am hoping the Threes will have enough bass for me not to miss the bass, ya know? I felt the SB3s had enough. How does the SB3s bass compare to the Threes?

I have a relatively small room with the Classic Threes and IMO you'll be fine without a sub. However, if you can afford it, match them with a NHT Evo sub, as I am, and you'll be even more impressed.
post #909 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

According to NHT, they've dropped a few dealers lately for such things. I was telling Andy that I was not the source for Brandnamez (because I'm selling/ordering so much) and he said "don't worry, we know, we've plugged that leak". I don't see what a dealer gains except turning his credit line or getting back some invested money. If a dealer can't sell all the Classic he can get, he shouldn't be in the business anyway.

John
post #910 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclarkmode View Post

BTW, is the finish on the Threes like the SB3s or different? I thought the finish on the SB3 was seemingly like a solid block of onyx, seemless and perfect. The NHT Three pictures show a "line" towards the front on the sides. like it was a separate panel or something. I would have to see it in person to tell if that would be an finish "Downgrade" if you will.

The Classic is much more elegant and has an even nicer finish than the SuperAudio. The line is there as an accent and it also, they said, helps deal with possible imperfections in the baffle/cabinet attachment. If that wasn't perfect, you could get a ripple in the finish, so they designed this little setoff that looks really good and solves the issue and looks great in person.
Quote:

The nice thing about floorstanders is that you dont need speaker stands, which I hate the looks of. Plus it is hard to find a good set of stands that will not break the bank, making you wonder why you did not go for the floorstanders in the first place. I would often just place my SB3s or whatever on a dresser or something! I wish they would make a cheaper tower that is just the Three with a stand built in, like the Supertwo was (like that little bottom woofer did anything!). The Supertwo was only $750 at one point, but the Fours are too expensive for my buget.

We've got the new Target stands in piano black for $150 Match up perfectly. I had to special order these, May Audio wasn't going to import them any longer. Now they are again because I ordered 20 pair with a promise of more. They look great together. I am trying to convince NHT to build a "3.5" tower version of the Three with an extra woofer and deeper bass. You might send NHT an e-mail!
Quote:

The NHT Three has me excited about a hopeful improvement in this area. Like combining the best of the Superone and SB3, and adding that next level of refindment/improvement too. All this is just my opinions of course, and with my limited understanding to explain it.

I think you'll be impressed. Much more detailed with a bigger soundfield than the S1, but with the deep bass and refinement (more actually) of the SB3.
Quote:

My 500GB hard drive stores all my ripped (Full Quality) dvds. A click of the space bar and they play. Fade in, no previews. I rip a itunes jukebox full of songs (also full quality), and the thing even has a digital out, and I can get a projecter later, with extended desktop support.

Using what software!?! Inquiring minds want to know

John
post #911 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

According to NHT, they've dropped a few dealers lately for such things

As well they should...and they should provide you with these dealers names so you can verify that NHT isn't just giving lip service as they happily sell more.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #912 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

As well they should...and they should provide you with these dealers names so you can verify that NHT isn't just giving lip service as they happily sell more.

Always verify with the manufacturer for authorized dealers status before purchasing. Always, always, always.
post #913 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

Always verify with the manufacturer for authorized dealers status before purchasing. Always, always, always.

Assuming you know you are getting a new product, the reason to buy from an authorized dealer is so you can receive warranty service from the manufacturer. One might consider this independent of whether the retailer is a 'reputable' dealer which to me means that they have policies such as 30 day return and otherwise operate in an ethical way. Some may consider selling a product they are not authorized to sell unethical, but I guess it also may depend on whether they say or imply that they are authorized when they are not.

I typically (always) buy from authorized dealers just because I like the piece of mind of the warranty.

Here's what happened to me:

Bought two Classic Three's from Onecall (authorized dealer).
After 3 days of use, one speaker blows woofer.
I think - how can I get this up and running quickest (I miss the music, and I have large event coming)
I contact NHT by email
NHT says they will look for a woofer to send me which I would install myself
I think - surely this is quicker than RMA product back to either NHT or Onecall (I was wrong)
I wait, emailing NHT for estimated time to find woofer
It's been 2 weeks, no word from NHT
Large event is tomorrow, so too late to get speaker back
I call Onecall today - they agree to cross-ship a replacement
Problem solved, lesson learned.

I don't blame NHT too much for not having spares stocked on such a new speaker. But, I think they could be a whole lot more aware and communicative of the status of things. Hopefully, I will not ever need it, but if I do, I hope NHT gets their support in a little better shape over time. Otherwise, what is the advantage of buying from an authorized dealer ?

Incidently, I would normally buy from a local dealer as well. But actually the local dealer here seems to be pushing another brand over NHT which for some reason turned me off (too bad, its the same dealer i bought my Superones and SW2Pi from back in 1996-7). Plus they moved their store further out into the exurbs so its almost 40 miles away.
post #914 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I decied to head to my local dealer today to hear the Three and see what the fuss is about.

I have been into this hobby for ~12 years, my first pair of real speakers being Paradigm 3seMKIIs, then Defintive DR7s, then Monitor Audio (forget), ACI Sapphire III, Sapphire 25th Anniversary, Sapphire XL (a lot of Sapphires), Onix Ref 1s, Onix Rocket Sig 850s.

While most of my most recently purchased speakers are from online vendors, I still check out the local shops to see what B&W, Paradigm, Canton, etc are up to.

The Classic threes were demoed on Linn equipment worth way more than the Threes. The room was fairly small, I'd guess 12x12. Music was Norah, Patricia Barber, Disturbed, Annie Lennox, and a few others (I did not have all of my normal demo CDs with me today).

I found the Threes to be an overall good speaker for $800, but they are no 'giant killer'. At first I wasn't happy with them at all, but I had to put it into perspective - my main speakers are $2000 and these are $800, they are not going to be as good.

Telling myself that, I focused on what they did well vs B&Ws and the like of a similar price range. Female vocals were done well, although a bit recessed. One thing that I cannot stand is a 'bloomy' lower midrage where the singer has a lot of unnatural weight to their voice. The Threes did not exhibit this issue at all (most speakers in this price range have this issue IMO). While they did not have a bloated lower end, the upper midrange was not as pronounced as I would have liked. Jones and Barber's voices were not as 'real' sounding as I am used to.

The bass on the Threes is impressive. It is quick and wasn't boomy at all. With the 12" NHT subwoofer the system really rocked, but they did fine by themselves in a small room.

My biggest issue with the Three was that the vocals and instruments tended to be smashed together and not as distinct as I am used to. They threw a soundstage but it wasn't as well defined as I am used to. The Sapphire XLs or Onix Refs throw a much more accurate and wide soundstage than the Three, but they are also both $1500 speakers (ie: another reason why these are not 'giant killers').

I tried the Classic Two, and for $200 more one would be dumb to not get the Three. If you don't have the $200, wait a few months so you can get it. It is quite a bit better of a speaker for very little more money.

I can see the posts coming "but you didn't compare them in your room", etc. True. What I did was compare them to pair of Martin Logan Mosaics (edit: ~2000 MSRP). Yes, twice the price but it puts it into perspective of my speakers at home. The Mosaics were quite amazing. So amazing I am going to go back and listen again next week with more demo material. They did what the Threes didn't do well IMO (more defined midrange, much better separation of instruments, better clarity). They grabbed me and said "listen to me Kevin", the Threes did not.

This might seem negative, but I really don't mean it to be. For $800 the Three is a good speaker. If you are looking at the B&W 700 series I would recommend listening to the three. I heard the 705 a few months ago and while in different rooms, I prefer the three quite a bit more (the 705 mangled female vocals quite a bit). In their price range they definitely keep up and can suprass the competition, just don't think that they hang with speakers twice their price, they don't.

Kevin
post #915 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrid View Post

I heard the 705 a few months ago and while in different rooms, I prefer the three quite a bit more (the 705 mangled female vocals quite a bit). In their price range they definitely keep up and can suprass the competition, just don't think that they hang with speakers twice their price, they don't.

Ummmm, didn't you just say they sounded better than the 705s (twice the price)? Giant killer is always a "to me" POV if you're talking about sound quality. I think there'd be plenty of people who would have a different opinion.

I *do* think they are at least "quasi-giant killers" only because a lot of the speakers that many people think of as "giants" would get their asses handed to them by the Three or Four. Will they "kill" the best speakers at 2-5 times the price? No. But they'll match them or come darn close. A lot of it comes down to preference. For me, a ported bookshelf speaker is a non-starter. And M-Ls are close to unlistenable to me as they are too bright and thin. If you want to hear a *good* ESL, listen to modified Quads.

John
post #916 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 12:21 PM

Quick update to the blown woofer story - in case anyone cares.

I emailed NHT to let them know I wouldn't be needing the replacement. I received a nice response with apologies for the delay. As I suspected the replacement parts have not come in yet. I was very appreciative that NHT was willing to just ship me out a woofer, but of course that plan only works if you have them in stock. I suspect that once the three's have been around a while, the service you get from NHT will be pretty good.

I think I mentioned this before, but it actually has been interesting with the one Classic 3 and one SuperOne as left/right on the same amp. In my opinion, the SuperOne is still one of the great bargains in speaker history.

Anyway a friend and I were listening to the Modern Drummer Weekend DVD (great material). Steve Smith and his band Vital Information was on and we were standing in front of the SuperOne. My friend says - 'that sounds great, it sounds just like a real snare drum. Then we walked in front of the Three, and we both looked at each other and she says, 'I take that back, THIS is what a real snare drum sounds like!'
post #917 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The 705 is not a good speaker IMO so saying the Three is better isn't saying much. The 705 has 'B&W' on the front and a lot of mark up. There are a lot of speakers with hype that do not deserve it.

Better than a speaker 2-5x the cost? Maybe two, but five? $4000? Those are some terrible $4000 speakers (and I'm sure they exist). Lets be realistic, to me Canton, Revel, Onix, ACI, Paradigm all make speakers better than the Three at the $1500 price point. What you are saying can be said about almost any speaker. My xyz speaker is better than abc that costs twice as much! There is always a case where someone likes a speaker that is cheaper than another.

The Mosaics I heard were far from bright and thin. I found them to be very "natural" sounding and smooth. Hence the reason there are different speakers, one person's bright is another's neutral.

Kevin
post #918 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Hey guys..... I was really into the HT setups back in the late 90's to early 00's. I recently moved out to a place with a much bigger living room and looking to setup an HT here. Now I currenty have an all NHT HT setup back at the old place which consists of.....

Front R/L - NHT SuperOnes
Back R/L - NHT SuperZeroes
Center - SuperCenter
Sub - Klipsch
Yamaha Receiver - HT5860 I believe...Sorry I forgot the model...It's 1yr old.

The speakers are about 7-9 years old now.

Anyway, I noticed that the Yamaha is way to bright musically and don't think works well with the NHT's. At least not a $400 receiver, but since I am looking to now build a new HT....Should I keep these NHT's and maybe pair them up with a better receiver? Any advice and recommendations?
post #919 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrid View Post

Lets be realistic, to me Canton, Revel, Onix, ACI, Paradigm all make speakers better than the Three at the $1500 price point.

Sorry, you *completely* lost me at Paradigm. I haven't heard all of these other ones. But the Threes remind me *very much* of the Gems I heard. I'll have the chance to test that theory. Also, from a technical POV, there are simply things a 3-way can and *does* do that a 2-way can't. Lower upper midrange distortion, lower spectral decay, wider dispersion.
Quote:

The Mosaics I heard were far from bright and thin. I found them to be very "natural" sounding and smooth. Hence the reason there are different speakers, one person's bright is another's neutral.

Exactly. Besides, as I said, the Threes won't blow away a good $4000 speaker, but I've heard plenty of them that aren't as good. They do many things better than the JMLab Utopia speakers I used to sell, for instance, imaging, soundstaging and bass accuracy for a few. Most monitors have too many built in flaws than the Threes simply don't have. How you interpret that is up to you.

BTW, my post card that is getting done now leads exactly with the headline "Giant Killers".

John
post #920 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwisenyc View Post

Hey guys..... I was really into the HT setups back in the late 90's to early 00's. I recently moved out to a place with a much bigger living room and looking to setup an HT here. Now I currenty have an all NHT HT setup back at the old place which consists of.....

Front R/L - NHT SuperOnes
Back R/L - NHT SuperZeroes
Center - SuperCenter
Sub - Klipsch
Yamaha Receiver - HT5860 I believe...Sorry I forgot the model...It's 1yr old.

The speakers are about 7-9 years old now.

Anyway, I noticed that the Yamaha is way to bright musically and don't think works well with the NHT's. At least not a $400 receiver, but since I am looking to now build a new HT....Should I keep these NHT's and maybe pair them up with a better receiver? Any advice and recommendations?

Depends on your budget of course. But if re-use is desireable, consider:

3's in the front (keep or replace your center with 3C, depending on budget)

Move SuperOnes to surround and SuperZeros to Rear (7.1 system)

Get a better/bigger subwoofer if needed. Probably is.

I have three Yamaha receivers, my latest being an RX-V2600. Yamaha are decent, but my Superones definately sounded better hooked to a Rotel RB-981 amp. Your Yamaha probably has preouts for all channels so if you want to upgrade the amplifier sections of each channel, you can usually do that. I think if you get 3's they will appreciate a good separate amp with lots of power.

My 2cents
post #921 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 PM

John, to rip my dvds to my Apple iMac (with built in 20"widesceen LCD) Intel 2 Ghz Core Duo (duel core) with built in 500 GB HD ... heh, I love my macs ... you need a free program called MacTheRipper, which can be found at versiontracker dotty commy. (Like how I got around that? New forum user limitations. Heh.)

MacTheRipper is not Universal yet, meaning that it will run at half speed on the new Intel Macs, but it they are working on it. Most of my Apps are already Universal, or going Universal this year, the progress has been snappy on this in the Mac community. MacTheRipper is free, but the developer uses donations to continue his work. It's a very streamlined Mac like program, which means other than a few terms you need to learn, it's a no brainer to use, and does not complicate you with it's simple yet powerful controls.

What MacTheRipper does is removes User Operation Prohibitions (you know, the "you can't hit fast forward or chapter skipping now" signs), ARccos protection, CSS encryption, Macrovision protection, and sets the region code to "0" for region free playback. It can remove RCE region protection too. You can store the file in a folder, and play it back (without the disc) by selecting it with your Apple DVD Player that comes with the iMac, and it just plays Full DVD Quality, just like that. It can rip only the main feature if you want (or any portion of the disc), so when you hit the button, it fades in with just the movie. No warning screens, no previews, and no menus. I have found that a movie like Spiderman 2 takes up about 5 GB, thats just the main feature. With everything, it jumps up a few GBs. Hard Drive space is limited even with my 500 GB hard drive, so I only plan to rip the main features of my favorite 50 or so movies. I may add an ethernet based 500 GB Hard Drive, giving me a Terabyte to work with. Movies like the Matrix Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Spiderman 1-2, Superman Returns when it comes out, Batman Begins, MI 2-3, King Kong...you know the epics. No Meg Ryan stuff. Like I said, space is limited!

The new 750 hard drives with vertical stacking (instead of the space hogging flat stacking of norm) of the magnetic data storing "dominos" on typical hard drives has me excited. With 750 GBs, now we can all store our dvds on a "video server" if you will. No more scratched discs, and far more easy access to you collection, and at the same full quality to boot. Who needs HD DVDs? Until High Def comes standard in my Macs, I will not jump on HD DVDs.

This is all just to play DVDs, and you could burn them too if you wanted, as everything is decrypted, with other software afterwards. But I don't have the need. Another main feature about watching DVDs from a hard drive is for laptops. It takes far less juice to read a movie from a hard drive than to spin a disc and shoot lasers at it. So your battery will last much longer. Cool eh? I don't have a laptop though...Yet! I need a 12" Macbookpro when they come out, ya know for late night bedside internet browsing and avsforum posting

If you were to do cool things like edit together all your episodes of a fav TV show into a more epic "movie" style cut, you could use cinematize 2.0 (or the Universal version when that comes along) to transcode you DVDs to a editable format (DVD files are not editable without transcoding), which a video editing program could then tackle. Mpeg 2 Stream seems to be the best quality, DVD quality or near. Then you could reburn your final cut or clips to DVD or store it on your hard drive. How bout puting all the lightsaber battles together? All The Matrix fights together? Lots of fun there.
post #922 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM

So I want a Nad NHT combo, I have to start saving. In the meantime, I will head down to my local dealer, get some prices, and hear the NHT Three Speakers. Oh and music ripping is a no brainer, iTunes does everything you need and is free.

Oh and JOHN, can I get a picture of these Target NHT Three matching stands, and who can I buy them off of (Hint Hint).

Oh and just for fun my email is superclarkmode@mail.com
post #923 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Oh, and how bout speaker wires, what does everyone recommend? Or interconnects for a mini stereo to a RCA stereo. and better jumpers for the Nad and or NHT Three's. Jumpers are the part that connects bi ampable speakers and pre amp and power amps sections.
post #924 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM

NHT ROCKS! Ok, now I can post websites (it's my 5th post).
post #925 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

While Paradigm is stretching it, the S2 isn't bad (although almost 2K for plastic is a lot of cash).

"things a 3-way can and *does* do that a 3-way can't"
I'll ignore the error.

There are also things a three way can do wrong that a two way won't. It is all dependent upon the speaker designer's talent. From what I heard I prefer vocals on the XL and Ref 1 over the Three, and they are both two way designs (and ported ). The number of drivers does not mean it is a better speaker (nor does a port). There is a lot more to it than that. My Sig 850s (3-way) are better at vocals than my Refs or XLs. I'd rate them as Three (3-way)

Anyway, this isn't a speaker building theory thread. In summary: The Three is good, and anyone looking in the $500-$1500 range should take a listen and compare it to everything else they can hear in the price range.

Kevin
post #926 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Or interconnects for a mini stereo to a RCA stereo.

What are you connecting using this? Not the computer, I hope. It has optical out, right?

Quote:

and better jumpers for the Nad and or NHT Three's. Jumpers are the part that connects bi ampable speakers and pre amp and power amps sections.

Threes aren't biampable, have only one pair of binding posts, and thus no jumpers.
post #927 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Oh, Nad has this new amp c325bee on the website, do you guys know when its coming for real? Nad dealers seem to not now about it at all. Is the C325bee enough, or should I just go with the c372 and be safe. I like smaller componets, but hey, I like power better. But not overkill. Sigh, what to do? The c325bee has 50 real watts (and its a newer design than the c372, some trickle down tech), and the c372 has 150 real watts. What do the NHT Three's need to play right? Will I see a jump in quality at normal listioning levels with the extra 100 watts? Then there is the massive price difference between the two amps. I'm so poor, but I will save (IE wait longer) for the best if I have too. Either way, I will have this buttoned up by the end of this year wallet wise. Hopefully by the end of summer.
post #928 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
For $800 the Three is a good speaker. If you are looking at the B&W 700 series I would recommend listening to the three

Try the CM-1's, or ERA's Design5's, or Revel M12's...all are in the same price range.

Quote:
The 705 is not a good speaker IMO so saying the Three is better isn't saying much.

Many feel that way, and, imo, there are much better $1500 speakers. However, I prefer the CM-1's to the 705's and they are $850 ...this happens from time to time in the speaker world.

Quote:
The 705 has 'B&W' on the front and a lot of mark up.

No more so than most any other speaker.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #929 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Just for fun, check out this keyboard (That will go with my iMac/Nad/NHT setup). Of course the long range bluetooth Apple keyboard will be there for across the room keyboard shortcuts and serves great as a "remote", as does Apple Front Row Remotes, and the Keyspan Remotes.

The Deck LED Backlit Legend Keyboard, (The LED lights last 20 plus years) and it uses mechanical metal switches. One for each keycap. They type out of this world, and the super high quality mechanical keyswitches last about as long as the lights. Great positive and negitive resistence for the "clicky buckling spring keyboard" fans and better feedback when you type. Improves your typing speeds, accuracy and just feels better, esp. when gaming. Comes in green, red, gold, blue. I like the Deck Legend USB Mac Toxic Green Keyboard (Pronounced Deek). Don't worry, it comes in windows too if you like battling viruses.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
post #930 of 10823 Old 05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, Nad has this new amp c325bee on the website, do you guys know when its coming for real? Nad dealers seem to not now about it at all. Is the C325bee enough, or should I just go with the c372 and be safe. I like smaller componets, but hey, I like power better. But not overkill. Sigh, what to do? The c325bee has 50 real watts (and its a newer design than the c372, some trickle down tech), and the c372 has 150 real watts. What do the NHT Three's need to play right? Will I see a jump in quality at normal listioning levels with the extra 100 watts? Then there is the massive price difference between the two amps. I'm so poor, but I will save (IE wait longer) for the best if I have too. Either way, I will have this buttoned up by the end of this year wallet wise. Hopefully by the end of summer.

How big is the room and how loud do you listen?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page