New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9991 of 10823 Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My Absolute Wall speakers arrived Friday, and I finally was able to finish up the complete NHT surround system in the bedroom this past weekend. My old M&K system anchored with S125s on their matching M&K column stands for main L/R and a S125C for the center has served me well for many years for movie surround sound (and they are still quite capable and more than adequate for that purpose), however the last few years they were just for an occasional movie as a secondary system in the bedroom and not really getting that much use.

The whole point of replacing that M&K system was to be able to get back to doing more 2 channel music listening since that's not really the M&K's forte` (IMHO of course), and also because that room is actually better for music than the family room where the main system is located, while still being able to watch an occasional movie in the bedroom. Ever since late November/early December when the Absolute Towers arrived followed by the Threes in January getting back to 2 channel was exactly what I've been doing. It was a real treat to listen to CDs again that I hadn't played in a long, long time since the last few years were mostly for movies more than music.

I have finally reached a decision on the Classic Threes vs the Absolute Towers. I was actually expecting quite the opposite going in to it, but my choice between them is the Towers. I just feel that they have more detail and better imaging than the Threes (not that the Threes lack in imaging and detail in any way), and I also feel the Towers also have better dynamics.

So the speaker system is -
Absolute Towers Front L/R
2C center speaker
Absolute Zero wides
Absolute Wall surrounds and heights
dual B-12d subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10823 Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The only speaker that I haven't had to toe in on a desktop is the Mirage OMD-5... but it's not my preferred speaker for nearfield, since I feel it sounds a little too bright in that setting.

I have a pair of Peachtree DS4.5' on my desk now... and like them quite a bit - very smooth sounding speaker with relaxed high end, which makes them easy on the ears in a nearfield setting. For some though, they might sound dark/dull. My only real issue with them is that they sound a tiny bit boxed in, and need angled in quite a bit to sound good... Even then, they don't truly "disappear."

I think the NHT Absolute Zero images better on my desk, but still requires a good amount of toe in to do so. The downside for me is that it's more neutral sonic character makes for a less relaxed presentaion when sitting so close... The other issue is that, if fed a full range signal, they really need to be up off the desk a good bit, or they get overly full in the upper bass.

So I keep going back in forth on which I like better for nearfield... Either way, sitting so close, and having the speakers so close to the rear wall, makes it really tough to get a convincing soundstage, and the right sonic balance.

Nearfield is a tricky thing and many use speakers made for this purpose. I have NHT's though out the house, but for my office where I need nearfield speakers, I'm using ones made specifically for this purpose from Fosgate Audionics (Fosgate no longer makes them and they shut down this part of the business to focus on Non-OEM and OEM car speakers). The stands are from Sweetwater (or Musicians Friend) - by Stand Design which are designed for this purpose and are height adjustable (mine are quite high to clear the monitors). With the use of Audyssey, they are dialed in pretty well. You do need to EQ for nearfield, it's a very different 'room' for the speakers as you are pretty much listening to close, very direct sound. The surrounds are on the same type of stands to the back of the room. I do not have any room treatments yet in this room like I have done in my Media room, but will in the future.

Here is a pic of my setup to give you an idea:

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #9993 of 10823 Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

My Absolute Wall speakers arrived Friday, and I finally was able to finish up the complete NHT surround system in the bedroom this past weekend. My old M&K system anchored with S125s on their matching M&K column stands for main L/R and a S125C for the center has served me well for many years for movie surround sound (and they are still quite capable and more than adequate for that purpose), however the last few years they were just for an occasional movie as a secondary system in the bedroom and not really getting that much use.

The whole point of replacing that M&K system was to be able to get back to doing more 2 channel music listening since that's not really the M&K's forte` (IMHO of course), and also because that room is actually better for music than the family room where the main system is located, while still being able to watch an occasional movie in the bedroom. Ever since late November/early December when the Absolute Towers arrived followed by the Threes in January getting back to 2 channel was exactly what I've been doing. It was a real treat to listen to CDs again that I hadn't played in a long, long time since the last few years were mostly for movies more than music.

I have finally reached a decision on the Classic Threes vs the Absolute Towers. I was actually expecting quite the opposite going in to it, but my choice between them is the Towers. I just feel that they have more detail and better imaging than the Threes (not that the Threes lack in imaging and detail in any way), and I also feel the Towers also have better dynamics.

So the speaker system is -
Absolute Towers Front L/R
2C center speaker
Absolute Zero wides
Absolute Wall surrounds and heights
dual B-12d subs

Nice setup!!! Bet is sounds great! So you finally settled for the Absolute Towers. It's good that you could make the comparison in your own room - the only way to do it.

By the way, how do the Absolute Walls compare to the Absolute Zeros? Have you tried a side-by-side test? I'm curious if there is a lot of tweaking in the XO for wall mounting. From the 'looks' of them, the internal volume seems to be about the same since they are taller but less deep.

Ray

post #9994 of 10823 Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Nice setup!!! Bet is sounds great! So you finally settled for the Absolute Towers. It's good that you could make the comparison in your own room - the only way to do it.

By the way, how do the Absolute Walls compare to the Absolute Zeros? Have you tried a side-by-side test? I'm curious if there is a lot of tweaking in the XO for wall mounting. From the 'looks' of them, the internal volume seems to be about the same since they are taller but less deep.

No, I haven't compared them to each other as front l/r or anything.

As for all the recent discussion about desktop systems, has anyone else here tried the new NHT DeskStands that were designed for the still as yet to be released SuperPowers yet?
post #9995 of 10823 Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
Got my Three's 4 days ago. Unpacked and they r very handsome slick pieces of audio equipment. They compliment my 42" Pana perfectly in the looks dept. So on that they rate very happy.
Hooked em up as the fronts, no center , then the superzeroes for rear plus my 10" Sony sub. Did all the Audyssey stuff with my Denon 2112, played with that, then the coaxial on my TV so I can watch American Idol. Once I discovered the music, cinema, rock arena settings I was thrilled.
AI was fun but then I played "TorchWood". Great soundtrack. That was when I heard what I think You guys mean by the stage. With just the TV on for light it was like there were no speakers and the instruments and special effects were just there on a stage in my living room. I had to play and point the speakers for a couple of nights to get just the right balance.
THAT'S what I was wanting to achieve. It was very satisfying. Thank you people for the help. The Three's sound fantastic, and I have really only just begun. I would highly recommend these speakers.
post #9996 of 10823 Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Kauaidoug,

Glad you like your new toys and that it satisfied your craving. Play more music that you know well and movies also, you might be surprised that there is more there than you heard in the past. They are very revealing speakers.

Enjoy!
Ray

Ray

post #9997 of 10823 Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for all the recent discussion about desktop systems, has anyone else here tried the new NHT DeskStands that were designed for the still as yet to be released SuperPowers yet?

Those are some pretty expensive small stands, but if they do the job and they look nice, then might be worth it. I'd like to hear the SuperPower somtime.

Ray

post #9998 of 10823 Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

I use these for my AZ's, and they are not much cheaper than the NHT Stands. Given that they are just foam rubber, I would say that they are over priced, but they did do what I needed them to do.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Auralex-...09-i1134516.gc

You can combine the individual pads to get the angle you need, but in truth they don't look all that great if that is something that matters to you.

Brian
post #9999 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Great, now that i just bought the three's they are on a really good sale. They are $399-150= 251.00 Now my great price 2 weeks later not so hot. In fact I'm a little pissed. Would like to have spent $500 instead of $700. Hmm still need a center speaker. Would another three work as the center?
post #10000 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

Great, now that i just bought the three's they are on a really good sale. They are $399-150= 251.00 Now my great price 2 weeks later not so hot. In fact I'm a little pissed. Would like to have spent $500 instead of $700. Hmm still need a center speaker. Would another three work as the center?

It would be preferred over the horizontal center channel. A matching vertical speaker will give you superior off axis response.

Go for it. That is a great price on these speakers.
post #10001 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

It would be preferred over the horizontal center channel. A matching vertical speaker will give you superior off axis response.

Go for it. That is a great price on these speakers.

Just read the emailer again and the $150 is on the pair. Still might be worth a phone call to HQ@NHT

What the heck is off axis response?
post #10002 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

That coupon code is $150 off of a pair, not per each individual speaker.

Edit - you made your post saying the same thing while I was making mine.
post #10003 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i'm pretty sure that the sale is for $150 off for a pair of 3's, not $150 off for each. you may wanna check you're "NHT" email notice again.

edit...not that that eases the pain any less, but at least it's not quite as bad
post #10004 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 PM

How many of you here actually follow NHT's recommendation of sitting back at least 1.5 times the distance from the front plane of the l/r main speakers as the distance they are apart, IE if they are 6' apart, you sit back 9'?
post #10005 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Just read the emailer again and the $150 is on the pair. Still might be worth a phone call to HQ@NHT

ah hah...you saw it and posted b4 i could send my post...that was quick...lol'
post #10006 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Simply put, if you are sitting in the "sweet spot" of a center channel speaker you are typically sitting directly in front of the speaker. If you move to right or left a certain degree, you are now off-axis. Typically a vertical speaker vs a horizontal speaker will have better off axis response. Not all horizontal center speakers are designed the same, some offer good off axis response and others don't.

The challenge is most people don't have the space below their TV for a vertical speaker.
post #10007 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:

How many of you here actually follow NHT's recommendation of sitting back at least 1.5 times the distance from the front plane of the l/r main speakers as the distance they are apart, IE if they are 6' apart, you sit back 9'?

strangely enough, i actually just measured my distances and it turns out that i sit exactly 9' away from my mains (absolute towers), and the distance between them is exactly 6' apart. i didn't plan it that way cause it's NHT's recommendation, in fact, didn't even realize that it was a recommendation til you mentioned it, it just kinda turned out that way cause of the size of my room and MLP.
who woulda thunk it? lol
post #10008 of 10823 Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

I'm lucky as that is just about the space and dimension I have to work with. Gotta watch my off axis response points, however. PS u guys r quick!

Also, I have been playing my favorite music and there are a lot instruments used that I had never noticed. watched Dark Knight and love my NHT's.
post #10009 of 10823 Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I use 3-Threes for LCR, I am happy with the results. Bob
post #10010 of 10823 Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM

SuperPowers are now shipping. Anyone here have any ordered?
post #10011 of 10823 Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

SuperPowers are now shipping. Anyone here have any ordered?

I thought the superpower would look more like the absolute zero as opposed to the superzero...
post #10012 of 10823 Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Looks like the Threes will be available for $299 each and the Absolute Towers for $399 each again next week, among other deals.

So, no one here has the SuperPowers yet?
post #10013 of 10823 Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Looks like the Threes will be available for $299 each and the Absolute Towers for $399 each again next week, among other deals.

So, no one here has the SuperPowers yet?

I'm going to go broke, but $299 ea. is really nice. I was thinking of doing the LCR thing with (3) Threes mounted on the wall.
post #10014 of 10823 Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Big_Green View Post

I'm going to go broke, but $299 ea. is really nice. I was thinking of doing the LCR thing with (3) Threes mounted on the wall.

It really would be all but impossible to find a better front stage than that for less than $900 with no shipping or taxes.

Unless you already have the omnimounts though, you could get stands for about the same price.
post #10015 of 10823 Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Wow, NHT is and has been an internet direct brand for at least a couple of years now, and they run a special price promotion this week on a speaker like the Classic Three for $598 per pair delivered (plus other additional discounts on top of that are usually readily available), and there is very little to no discussion whatsoever about it here at AVS where ID speaker brands are usually all the rage.

It begs the question - why? Is it that people are still unaware of NHT being ID now and priced very competitively even when compared to other ID brands (example - the Classic Three vs the Ascend Sierra), or is it even more than that, like maybe NHT is all but dead now and they just haven't realized it yet?

Thoughts?
post #10016 of 10823 Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^^
I've wondered about this, too.

For myself, I've already got a pair of Threes and really love them. I literally just finished running Audyssey for only the second time since I got them and they sound fantastic to my ears. I use them mostly for 2.1 music with an Outlaw EX sub and can't recommend them enough. Of course, I haven't got the experience with different brands that many members on this forum have. My input wouldn't be very useful since I can only recommend what I own, without any meaningful way to compare them to others.

Here's a thought: maybe NHT owners simply like to listen to music, watch films, etc. more than they like talking about their awesome speakers. I've got Steely Dan Gaucho on right now. Just beautiful, man...

Anyway, let's hope they're selling lots of product and will be in business a long time.

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
post #10017 of 10823 Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am sooooo close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Classic Three's. Even though I have too many speakers sitting at home already, I figure this is my time to really reach for "the best".

post #10018 of 10823 Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

I am sooooo close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Classic Three's. Even though I have too many speakers sitting at home already, I figure this is my time to really reach for "the best".

I'm dying to pull the trigger, too. The problem is that I just bought a new receiver about 2 months ago and just bought a new sub 2 weeks ago. I know, that's why there are credit cards, but I just don't want to go there... Hopefully, they'll be on sale again. From what I've read, they're still worth at least their full asking price.
post #10019 of 10823 Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defmoot View Post

Here's a thought: maybe NHT owners simply like to listen to music, watch films, etc. more than they like talking about their awesome speakers. I've got Steely Dan Gaucho on right now. Just beautiful, man...

Anyway, let's hope they're selling lots of product and will be in business a long time.

Maybe there is something to your theory. My theory is this- NHT is missing two things here at AVS that most, if not all, ID speaker brands have (and even a lot of B&M speaker brands too for that matter).

One is a company rep of some sort to answer any questions, make recommendations, and things of that nature. Cavcham has said that there used to be one here for NHT, but he is no longer here, and hasn't been for a long time now.

Two is a well known "fanboy" poster who will go into every thread here where the thread starter is asking for recommendations of what speakers to get and enthusiastically endorse his favorite brand, even to the point if it means the "fanboy" is entirely derailing the thread by arguing with other posters about it. For example, two of the most well known ID speaker brands here, maybe even the two most popular ID brands, each have a poster who will do this. You would think that everyone could clearly see through the very obvious, transparent bias and agenda, especially when it's even in the "fanboy's" signature, and take their comments with a grain of salt while considering the source, but equally obvious is that it also must be very effective. I do understand that there used to be someone here like that for NHT who was also a dealer, but he is apparently long gone as well.
post #10020 of 10823 Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Maybe there is something to your theory. My theory is this- NHT is missing two things here at AVS that most, if not all, ID speaker brands have (and even a lot of B&M speaker brands too for that matter).

One is a company rep of some sort to answer any questions, make recommendations, and things of that nature. Cavcham has said that there used to be one here for NHT, but he is no longer here, and hasn't been for a long time now.

Two is a well known "fanboy" poster who will go into every thread here where the thread starter is asking for recommendations of what speakers to get and enthusiastically endorse his favorite brand, even to the point if it means the "fanboy" is entirely derailing the thread by arguing with other posters about it. For example, two of the most well known ID speaker brands here, maybe even the two most popular ID brands, each have a poster who will do this. You would think that everyone could clearly see through the very obvious, transparent bias and agenda, especially when it's even in the "fanboy's" signature, and take their comments with a grain of salt while considering the source, but equally obvious is that it also must be very effective. I do understand that there used to be someone here like that for NHT who was also a dealer, but he is apparently long gone as well.

I'm glad that they don't have a "fan boy" poster. That gets annoying. I don't mind if a dealer emails me telling me their price for an item that interests me.

I like the way that some of the other mfgs answer questions per your item 1 (Ed Mullen and Murrel Gray are examples).

On a related note, I've emailed NHT before and got a quick and good response to my question (I'd also like to plug Simply Sound Audio, SVS and Rythmik for doing this, too. I'm sure there are others as well).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page