post #10831 of 10842 Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Would they be a downgrade from the Three's? Using them as my L/R?
That would actually be a 'preference' thing. Some actually like the AT's better because of the output (has more than the Threes). My 'preference' is for the Threes/Fours as I like the mid-range much better. The only way to know for yourself is to just try it. I had AT's for a little while and could easily compare them to the Threes and Fours, they are at a friends house now (she wanted towers and thought the Fours were a bit too big). So, for me, this is the comparison:

Threes: Go deeper, better mid-range, and a bit better on the sound stage (wider and deeper). But, bass would not matter if mated to a sub.
AT's: Better output, more mellow mid-range.

Bottom line would be for you to compare in your room. Keep us posted on what you think, I'd be curious.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10842 Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll have to hook them up and give them a try.

I do have a sub, actually 2 of them (Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX).

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
post #10833 of 10842 Old 10-16-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I recall you mentioning that before. They are great subs! Do give them a try, it's really a preference thing as is most speakers.

Ray

post #10834 of 10842 Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

In another thread they said my weak point is my center and that a Three bookshelf would be better. Is that right?

I don't know if I'm bored with my current setup or what it is exactly. If I were to sell and move on what should I look in to? or maybe just upgrade my subs? I do enjoy the sound of my speakers.

I am planning on hooking up my AT's this weekend and giving them a try.

Living Room

Game Room
post #10835 of 10842 Old 10-17-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The Threes are so good, you could spend a lot of time and money, and end up with something that's only marginally better.

How are you setup for sources / source gear? Do you have your collection of music available on a network or drive, and access to it via your system? How about internet sources of music?

Mess around with headphones for a while? No speaker can do what they do.

How about some new music? Or something ...
post #10836 of 10842 Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In another thread they said my weak point is my center and that a Three bookshelf would be better. Is that right?

I don't know if I'm bored with my current setup or what it is exactly. If I were to sell and move on what should I look in to? or maybe just upgrade my subs? I do enjoy the sound of my speakers.

I am planning on hooking up my AT's this weekend and giving them a try.
Randall,

What are you using as a center? If not the Three C, then I would have to agree. The other centers from NHT are MTM designs (like the majority of centers out there) and that design is terrible since it creates lobbing issues. The Three C does not have those issues since there is an extra mid-range to off-set the tweeter from being directly in the middle. Also, the Three C matches the Threes with the same drivers so make is much better for blending (and it's just a MUCH better center than the others). You do owe it to yourself to try the Three C, regardless of what you like better with the Threes or AT's.

As Buzzy mentioned, you really would be hard pressed to find a better speaker at the price (or eve much higher). Stereophile actually rated the Threes as the best speakers that existed under $1000. I've listened to many speakers, some a lot more expensive than the Threes and liked the Threes more (there are quite a few other speakers I could live with from several companies that I did like within the same price rage as NHT - such as PSB, Focal, Monitor Audio and some others) but in the end I stayed with NHT for the price/performance ratio (again, my preference).

Ray

post #10837 of 10842 Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post
The Threes are so good, you could spend a lot of time and money, and end up with something that's only marginally better.

How are you setup for sources / source gear? Do you have your collection of music available on a network or drive, and access to it via your system? How about internet sources of music?

Mess around with headphones for a while? No speaker can do what they do.

How about some new music? Or something ...
I was looking at KEF speakers but just like NHT there isn't a place anywhere around me where I could demo or even compare them.

Internet and digital: iTunes/Spotify (premium)

Living Room

Game Room
post #10838 of 10842 Old 10-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Randall,

What are you using as a center? If not the Three C, then I would have to agree. The other centers from NHT are MTM designs (like the majority of centers out there) and that design is terrible since it creates lobbing issues. The Three C does not have those issues since there is an extra mid-range to off-set the tweeter from being directly in the middle. Also, the Three C matches the Threes with the same drivers so make is much better for blending (and it's just a MUCH better center than the others). You do owe it to yourself to try the Three C, regardless of what you like better with the Threes or AT's.

As Buzzy mentioned, you really would be hard pressed to find a better speaker at the price (or eve much higher). Stereophile actually rated the Threes as the best speakers that existed under $1000. I've listened to many speakers, some a lot more expensive than the Threes and liked the Threes more (there are quite a few other speakers I could live with from several companies that I did like within the same price rage as NHT - such as PSB, Focal, Monitor Audio and some others) but in the end I stayed with NHT for the price/performance ratio (again, my preference).
I am using a ThreeC as my center. That's why I was confused when they said a Three bookshelf would sound better.

I didn't know they were rated the best under $1,000. I know I don't want to spend that much money right now and if it'll only get a little better. I might as well keep these and look to upgrade something else.

Living Room

Game Room
post #10839 of 10842 Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am using a ThreeC as my center. That's why I was confused when they said a Three bookshelf would sound better.

I didn't know they were rated the best under $1,000. I know I don't want to spend that much money right now and if it'll only get a little better. I might as well keep these and look to upgrade something else.
IMO, you have one of the best center channels for the price. It's made well, matches the drivers of the Trees ( which are great) and a very good XO. The Three may get a bit lower than the Three C for the bass, but not an issue with the XO set correctly and the Three C has more output due to the dual drivers (above 75 Hz). It's a great speaker! You would have to pay a LOT more to get better (and not by much).

Are there better speakers - well, yes. But you'll have to pay quite a bit to get a lot more benefit (or a lot to get only marginal benefit IMO in many cases - we did some blind testing with the Fours against the B&W 802D's, and most of us in the group preferred the Fours, keep in mind, the Fours are ~$2000, and the 802D's $14,000).

As for the Threes, here are some reviews for you to read:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/n...ssic_three.htm

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/mea...classic_three/ (Measurements - pretty impressive)

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...e-loudspeaker/

http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...nht/index.html

http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf...ers/conclusion
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

post #10840 of 10842 Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help. I do enjoy listening to these speakers. Maybe I'll look into upgrading my subs instead?

Living Room

Game Room
post #10841 of 10842 Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I do enjoy listening to these speakers. Maybe I'll look into upgrading my subs instead?
Actually a sub upgrade can make a huge difference. Again, preference will come into play. I very much prefer the sound of sealed subs - much tighter and more defined IMO. Again my preference. Greater output and usually lower extension goes to ported subs, but for me a sealed sub just sounds much better (and yes, I have heard many and have both types in my home - but only sealed for the media room and editing room).

Check out the ones from SVS sound and PSA (there are more out there of course).

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box

The SB13-Ultra is awesome, but pretty expensive.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...roducts/xs15se
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...products/triax (awesome, but pretty expensive!)

Of course NHT's subs are also sealed, but I think you'll get more bang for the buck with SVS or PSA

There are others:

Monitor Audio W12
JL Audio E-Sub e112 ($2000 from Crutchfield or AudioAdvisor)

If you prefer ported, there are LOTs of them, including those from SVS and PSA

If one of your friends has a decent sealed sub, you should borrow it and try it (you'll have to re-run your room correction of course). Also, I find after calibration, I run my sealed subs 3db hot (not that much, you can add more if you're a bass head).

Ray

post #10842 of 10842 Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Only one of my friends has a "system" and its BOSE, so he doesn't have anything worth comparing to. I did switch my Outlaw subs to ME (max extension) mode. When I first got these subs I didn't like the way it sounded but now it sounds better to me? Not sure what has changed?

I was looking at changing to a sealed sub. SVS was at the top of the list but haven't decided to pull the trigger on anything.

I only went with a ported sub because my room is pretty big 20x18 and 8.5' to 11' sloped ceiling.

Living Room

Game Room
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page