23Likes

post #10891 of 10902 Old 11-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I saw a pretty screaming deal for a Pioneer VSX-1124 so I went ahead and bought it. Initially I was going to wait until next years Denons came out and was going to get an X4100 equivalent. The VSX-820 needed to be re-purposed for a room that needs a two channel amp so I had a choice to make, and well, it looks like the 1124 will now be powering the NHT's. I'm pretty exicted! One question I had is what I should set the crossover to for the Classic Twos? What about the TwoC?
I run my Absolute Center and my Classic Twos at 80Hz. Audyssey set them at 60Hz but I changed them manually. It sounds great.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D

Last edited by willieconway; 11-15-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched a movie at near reference level (-5) and holy hanna! I turned it down about halfway through the movie. I'm going to get another chance to try another movie this week while my wife is out of town.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10893 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Watched a movie at near reference level (-5) and holy hanna! I turned it down about halfway through the movie. I'm going to get another chance to try another movie this week while my wife is out of town.
Pretty Awesome, isn't it!!! Now you know what your speakers can do, and you can actually go to reference (0) if you want to try for a couple minutes. Keep us posted, glad you finally heard what they are capable of.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #10894 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, to all those interested, NHT now has their sale (up to 35% off). Check them out, pretty good!!!

NHT Three for only 352

Fours are only 810

http://www.nhthifi.com/NHT-Black-November-Sale-2014

NHT Black November 2014

Sale Starts 5:00pm on Thursday, 11/20!

Save 15% - 35% off our regular pricing. The sale items will be limited - we'll only allocate a few each day or two...maybe. Items will come and go (on and off) this page frequently - nothing will last very long. No additional discounts will be offered (or allowed) and these specially priced items may not be combined with other offers. No backorders are allowed on Black November items, so check back frequently.

What to do? Don't wait. Buy when you see the product you want. Our 30-day satisfaction guarantee and free return shipping still apply. All purchases qualify for free USA ground shipping. All items are A-stock perfect new product. All passive speakers feature the full 60 month parts and labor warranty or in the case of amplified products like SuperPower speakers and Subwoofers, 36 months parts and labor warranty.

Still have questions? We're available in the store and on the telephone! Call 800-648-9993.

Happy holidays from NHThifi.com!
Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker (Black)
Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker (Black)

MSRP: $249.99
Price: $181.00

Black November Sale 2014!
Our 4th generation premium mini-monitor and most compact bookshelf speaker in the Classic line. Priced each.
More Information
Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker (White)
Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker (White)

Price: $175.00

Our 4th generation premium mini-monitor and most compact bookshelf speaker in white in the Classic line. Priced each.
More Information
Absolute Wall Speaker - White
Absolute Wall Speaker - White

MSRP: $249.00
Price: $160.00

Our first Classic on-wall speaker. Sounds amazing! Use for front channels, ideal for surrounds. Packaged and priced each.
More Information
Two Bookshelf Speaker (Black)
Two Bookshelf Speaker (Black)

MSRP: $379.99
Price: $254.00

Our most affordable full-range
bookshelf speaker in black gloss.
Priced each.
More Information
Two Bookshelf Speaker (White)
Two Bookshelf Speaker (White)

MSRP: $379.99
Price: $254.00

Our most affordable full-range
bookshelf speaker in white gloss.
Priced each.
More Information
Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker

MSRP: $499.99
Price: $352.00

This is the best bookshelf speaker we've ever made. Some think the Classic Three is the best period. Priced each.
More Information
TwoC Center Channel Speaker
TwoC Center Channel Speaker

MSRP: $499.99
Price: $330.00

The matching center channel speaker for the Classic Two or Classic Three or can be used as L/C/R. Priced each.
More Information
ThreeC Center Channel Speaker
ThreeC Center Channel Speaker

MSRP: $679.99
Price: $405.00

Black November Sale 2014! The matching center channel speaker for the Classic Three or Classic Four. Can be used as an L/C/R. Priced each.
More Information
Absolute Tower Speaker
Absolute Tower Speaker

MSRP: $629.99
Price: $440.00

Our sexy new floorstanding speaker for music and home theater systems. Forgiving with placement and easy on the eyes. Priced and packaged each.
More Information
Four Floor Standing Tower Speaker (left)
Four Floor Standing Tower Speaker (left)

MSRP: $1,349.99
Price: $810.00

A perfect marriage of the Classic Three and a 10" subwoofer. Priced each - sold in pairs mirror imaged pairs. This is the link to the Left speaker.
More Information
Four Floor Standing Tower Speaker (right)
Four Floor Standing Tower Speaker (right)

MSRP: $1,349.99
Price: $810.00

A perfect marriage of the Classic Three and a 10" subwoofer. Priced each - sold in pairs mirror imaged pairs. This is the link to the Right speaker.
More Information
SuperZero 2.1 Our Amazing Mini-Monitor
SuperZero 2.1 Our Amazing Mini-Monitor

MSRP: $119.99
Price: $82.00

Updated version of our true high-end mini speaker. Really. Accept no substitutes. Black gloss finish.
More Information
SuperPower 2.1 Self-Powered Speaker
SuperPower 2.1 Self-Powered Speaker

Price: $170.00

90 watt self-powered mini-speaker. Wait until you hear how big it sounds. Sold Individually.
More Information
AiW-ARC - Absolute In-Wall Speaker
AiW-ARC - Absolute In-Wall Speaker

MSRP: $299.99
Price: $159.00

A high performance in-wall speaker that matches all Absolute series in-room speakers. Nearly Invisible! Priced each.
More Information
iW4-ARC - 3-Way In-Wall Home Theater Speaker
iW4-ARC - 3-Way In-Wall Home Theater Speaker

MSRP: $699.99
Price: $399.00

Our best in-wall speaker for invisible high-end, high-output home theater and music systems. Packaged individually.
More Information
iC2-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker
iC2-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker

MSRP: $329.99
Price: $205.00

6.5" woofer, 3-tweeter array in-ceiling speaker. Features Anti-Resonance Casting (ARC) chassis, lo-vision grill. Package contains 1 speaker.
More Information
iC3-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker
iC3-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker

MSRP: $399.99
Price: $245.00

Our best 3-tweeter, 6.5" in-ceiling speaker with AI drivers. Features Anti-Resonance Casting (ARC), vision grill. Package contains 1 speaker.
More Information
iC4-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker
iC4-ARC In-Ceiling Speaker

MSRP: $459.99
Price: $280.00

Black November Sale!
The iC4-ARC is our premium, AL driver, 3-tweeter, 8" woofer in-ceiling speaker. Features ARC (Anti-Resonance Casting). Packaged contains 1 speaker.
More Information
NHT SuperOne 2.1
NHT SuperOne 2.1

MSRP: $179.99
Price: $123.00

SuperZero sonics with great bass. Sold individually.
More Information
SuperCenter 2.1
SuperCenter 2.1

Price: $159.99

Black November Sale 2014! Matching center channel for the SZ2.1 and SuperOne2.1. 1" soft dome tweeter, plus two 4.5" woofers.
More Information
O2-ARC Outdoor Speaker - Black
O2-ARC Outdoor Speaker - Black

Black November Sale!
The world's best outdoor speaker.
Matte Black. Priced each.
More Information
O2-ARC Outdoor Speaker - White
O2-ARC Outdoor Speaker - White

Black November Sale!
The world's best outdoor speaker.
Matte White. Priced each.
More Information

Ray

post #10895 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

They were amazing. They played loud, clear and just WOW. They didn't seem to struggle at all and my receiver didn't get warm.

My wife and I are looking at possibly selling our house and moving. Only problem is the house we are interested the living room wouldn't work for my setup BUT there is more bedrooms then we need. So I could use one as a dedicated HT room. Would these speakers be too much for a medium sized bedroom?

**One thing I did notice while watching the movie was I think I want to try sealed subwoofers. The ports were making some noise while listening at that level. When I watch a movie this week I'm going to leave both ports open and see if it sounds better.
post #10896 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They were amazing. They played loud, clear and just WOW. They didn't seem to struggle at all and my receiver didn't get warm.

My wife and I are looking at possibly selling our house and moving. Only problem is the house we are interested the living room wouldn't work for my setup BUT there is more bedrooms then we need. So I could use one as a dedicated HT room. Would these speakers be too much for a medium sized bedroom?

**One thing I did notice while watching the movie was I think I want to try sealed subwoofers. The ports were making some noise while listening at that level. When I watch a movie this week I'm going to leave both ports open and see if it sounds better.
Randall,

It 'might' help to open more ports, but that is actually common when pushing ported subs (especially if you sit close enough to hear the port noise).

I would not think it would be an issue to use the speakers in a smaller room, they would be just fine. Our dedicated room is very small and I'm using Fours as the L/R and they do great in there (had to do acoustical treatments, but that is something that will help any room). Having a dedicated room is actually great as you can do what you want with it (barring WAF). Ours is painted black (great for video), and fully treated acoustically to take care of most reflections. You'll actually have your Man Cave, quite nice even if small.

Really glad you're finally pushing your system! Power really wakes up NHT's and as long as you're not pushing your AVR past is limits, it's totally fine. I actually pushed the Threes in the past with an outboard Amp rated at 300 watts/channel (only drove it with ~125 watts each keeping track of power with a kill-a-watt) and they never strained. I had to wear earplugs. Now, in a very large room, they probably would't cut it. You have to keep in mind that if you increase the area of a room by double, it requires quadruple the acoustical power to maintain the same sound level at the same listening distance. For most of us though, I don't think that room size would be an issue for the majority of speakers out there.

Keep us posted!

Ray

post #10897 of 10902 Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

How large is your room? What are you running in there? I think the room was 10x12 or so. It is probably larger, I'm just going on the smaller side.

If we do move the plan is to use the Absolute towers and the Outlaw subs in the living room for a 2.2 setup.
post #10898 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How large is your room? What are you running in there? I think the room was 10x12 or so. It is probably larger, I'm just going on the smaller side.

If we do move the plan is to use the Absolute towers and the Outlaw subs in the living room for a 2.2 setup.
That would be great for a 2.2 setup!

As for the room, it's SMALL. It's an extra room that is 11 x 12 and very packed! I'm running a 11.2 system in there, all NHT. It works great because it's dedicated and no need to worry too much about aesthetics. Our living room only has a 2.1 system (just the speakers, the equipment is placed in the Media Room).

Front L/F: Fours
Center: Three C
Surround: Threes
Wides: Twos
Heights: Absolute Zero
Rears: Absolute Wall
Subs: 2 x W1's (each with it's own X1 that has the 20Hz mod - without the mod it only went down to 26 Hz, with the mod, it's flat to 20Hz which is fine for the room). Subs are placed near field right behind the couch at 1/4 and 3/4 spaces (usually one of the best spots - 1/2 spaces also work great, you don't get the boomy room boundary gain that way).

Here are a couple pictures. This is using a very bright flash as it's very dark in the room (the flash even shows through the cloth of some of the acoustical treatments, but it's not visible under normal conditions).

Listed: Front of room with flash, no flash, rear of room with flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of Media Room (bright flash)..jpg
Views:	10
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	379730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of Media Room No Flash.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	379738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of Media Room Bright Flash.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	379746  
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #10899 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Pretty Awesome, isn't it!!! Now you know what your speakers can do, and you can actually go to reference (0) if you want to try for a couple minutes. Keep us posted, glad you finally heard what they are capable of.
That's great!!!

Ok I just bought a new Pioneer VSX-1124-K. I ran MCACC and it set the front left to +4db and the rest of them to +2-3db. It set the sub to -1db. As a result of this (feeling that everything is symmetrical) I manually set everything to 0db. MCACC did, however, set the speaker distances to the appropriate feet/inches. Anyhow, I noticed during a movie last night that I was worried to push it beyond -15db. I felt like anymore would blow a speaker. Any suggestions?

Note: I have all speakers set to small with the crossover to 80hz. I have the sub set to LFE/phase 0/about 2 o'clock.

I'm new to this receiver so am still trying to get used to it but so far am very impressed with its performance and increased power output compared to the VSX-820-K.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #10900 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
That's great!!!

Ok I just bought a new Pioneer VSX-1124-K. I ran MCACC and it set the front left to +4db and the rest of them to +2-3db. It set the sub to -1db. As a result of this (feeling that everything is symmetrical) I manually set everything to 0db. MCACC did, however, set the speaker distances to the appropriate feet/inches. Anyhow, I noticed during a movie last night that I was worried to push it beyond -15db. I felt like anymore would blow a speaker. Any suggestions?

Note: I have all speakers set to small with the crossover to 80hz. I have the sub set to LFE/phase 0/about 2 o'clock.

I'm new to this receiver so am still trying to get used to it but so far am very impressed with its performance and increased power output compared to the VSX-820-K.
Looks like you have set the crossovers correctly. I think you can push it louder though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but MCACC sets the reference level of 85db when set to '0' like Audyssey does, correct? It didn't in the past, but the newer renditions do. If so, you're not using a fraction of the power at -15 unless your room is super large.

Another thing about the levels. MCACC most likely set them correctly (if your MLP measurement is symmetrical to your speakers). Keep in mind, there is NO room that is symmetrical - unless all your furniture is exactly the same from left to right, you have exactly the same windows on the left and right, and the door is perfectly in the middle. Some people build a dedicated room in which they can create that symmetry, but room of most normal houses will not have that and it will change the acoustics quite a lot. I'm not being demeaning or condescending to you (please don't take it wrong), just want to make it clear there is a lot when it comes to acoustics. I use to set all my measurements in the past to the same and then now just stick to what the RC sets the levels at as it's most likely correct since it's an acoustical measurement and not a physical one. The only level I do change is the sub, I like it a bit hotter by +3db. I have also confirmed using a calibrated SPL meter and the AVR does pretty good. Also using REW with a calibrated mic gives close to same results.

So for the levels as an example, my speakers are set pretty accurately within 1/8 of an inch as far as symmetry to the MLP and I use a laser level when I mounted speakers (stands and wall mounts) and also used a laser for setting the angles (yes, I'm very anal about it). But, because of the issues of room symmetry I mentioned above, these are my levels that Audyssey set (actual acoustical distance and trim levels): Attached.

The sub is near field as I mentioned before, so both of them have the same value. But, notice the variation in the trim levels. Pairs of speakers are close (within 0.5db), but to each other, the variation is larger. The crossovers I of course raised as most of the speakers register as large (and the Fours can actually play as large, but I raise the XO to 60Hz even though it'll play down to 25 Hz in my room with no problem. Attached are the 'rough' graphs of before/after shots using Audyssey Pro. Black is measured response in room for each speaker and to the right of each one in red is the corrected response (within the limits of plus/minus 12 db that Audyssey allowes).

Hope that makes sense.

Have fun with your new AVR!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenShot049.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	380449   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot050.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	380457   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot051.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	380465  

Ray

post #10901 of 10902 Old Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
That would be great for a 2.2 setup!

As for the room, it's SMALL. It's an extra room that is 11 x 12 and very packed! I'm running a 11.2 system in there, all NHT. It works great because it's dedicated and no need to worry too much about aesthetics. Our living room only has a 2.1 system (just the speakers, the equipment is placed in the Media Room).

Front L/F: Fours
Center: Three C
Surround: Threes
Wides: Twos
Heights: Absolute Zero
Rears: Absolute Wall
Subs: 2 x W1's (each with it's own X1 that has the 20Hz mod - without the mod it only went down to 26 Hz, with the mod, it's flat to 20Hz which is fine for the room). Subs are placed near field right behind the couch at 1/4 and 3/4 spaces (usually one of the best spots - 1/2 spaces also work great, you don't get the boomy room boundary gain that way).

Here are a couple pictures. This is using a very bright flash as it's very dark in the room (the flash even shows through the cloth of some of the acoustical treatments, but it's not visible under normal conditions).

Listed: Front of room with flash, no flash, rear of room with flash.
Wow, that is packed in there. You just answered my next question without even knowing it. I was going to say is that size room too small for 7/9.2? It took me a few seconds to find the rear speakers, they blend right in to the wall.
post #10902 of 10902 Old Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, that is packed in there. You just answered my next question without even knowing it. I was going to say is that size room too small for 7/9.2? It took me a few seconds to find the rear speakers, they blend right in to the wall.
Yes, very packed but works quite well due to acoustical treatments. Someday in the not to far future we plan on moving to another (larger) home and I plan to build a dedicated media room that is larger.

The 'rear' speakers are not actually in the rear, but as you can see, up high on the sides (still behind the couch). They still work fine there once room correction is done. I do plan on upgrading to Atmos and if still in this room, I'll need to replace the rears with 'rear heights' which will be just in front of the couch. The front heights would just need to be moved slightly forward of their current position (so a 7.2.4 or a 9.2.4). I've been waiting to see how Atmos has been panning out and it looks great so far.

I don't think you'll have any problem putting a 7.2 or 9.2 system in the room you're talking about. All of the NHT speakers (except for the Fours) have a small footprint and won't be an issue to install. My son's bedroom is only 10x10 and has a 5.1 system using Pinnacle BD speakers (got them for a great price) and they work great - about the size of the Twos. He's only 8 and extremely good with electronics. But because some of his friends are not (they'd poke the drivers out) I installed them high on his cabinet and angled them down. Picture attached. The rears are the smaller brothers mounted at ceiling height (size of the Zeros). His room is a planetarium (reason for the dark room) which can't be seen from this picture, but the other walls and ceiling are full of stars, galaxies, and the solar system of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gavin's Room.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	380793  

Ray

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page