post #10921 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
They didn't stop making the sub I have (PSA XV15) they only upgraded it, thus the "se" which is a slightly improved driver and amplifier. They were pretty modest upgrades (unfortunately I bought mine a few months before they upgraded and I wasn't eligible to do the discounted swap out of the driver and amp).

It is very true that the "Satin Black Texture" that the PSA comes in doesn't look as good as the SVS subwoofers with their upgraded "black grain vinyl" material. The reason PSA decided to offer their subs with the Satin Black Texture is completely due to costs. If you think about it they did the right thing because it's allowing people that are going to stuff their subs in a corner or behind a couch anyway to get an awesome, giant sub, for significantly cheaper than the competition. If SVS opted to do the same thing than their subs should consequently be cheaper... If you were to compare apples to apples (as far as XV15 to PB2000) than the XV would cost $1249 (with the black ash) and the PB would continue to cost $799 (black grain vinyl which ultimately looks very similar). Essentially, you get what you pay for with a PSA

Again, one of the main reasons why I went with PSA was not only the startling reviews but the fact they are made here in the states and that is still kind of important to me. Also, their customer service sealed the deal for me as stated. Lastly, I read somewhere that the PSA folks had some affiliation with SVS at one point in time (I cannot remember what...)
If I recall correctly, Tom from PSA was one of the designers for SVS. When he left, he and his partner were designing their own line - PSA. They definitely are on the top of my list for my next subwoofer purchase, along with Seaton (but those are Huge and quite expensive, but he makes some of the best subs around - also made here in the USA). I too also try to purchase products made here when possible. NHT used to be totally made here in California until the last series of the 1.5i / 2.5i's. Then they outsourced to China unfortunately in order to stay competitive. At least the main company and design is still made here and the drivers are made in Europe (the cabinets and assembly are made in China).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I thought yours wasn't downfiring? Maybe I'm wrong

You make some very good points. Since we watch movies in the dark it's not about how they look. Now I guess it's just time to decide if I'm going to go fully dedicated room.

Did PSA offer a Black Friday discount?

** Yep, I was wrong. I got your sub and the Rythmik FV15 confused..
Yes and if you want a sub that will be in the living room that needs to look great than you can upgrade the material for a few hundred dollars. Personally, I like the textured material on the PSA subwoofers because it is extremely durable and easy to clean. We use it as an end table quite a bit and I like that if I spilled anything on it than I could easily clean it off.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #10923 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes and if you want a sub that will be in the living room that needs to look great than you can upgrade the material for a few hundred dollars. Personally, I like the textured material on the PSA subwoofers because it is extremely durable and easy to clean. We use it as an end table quite a bit and I like that if I spilled anything on it than I could easily clean it off.
Is that covering Dura Tex?

Ray

post #10924 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Is that covering Dura Tex?
I'm not quite sure what the material's technical name is. It is textured but it actually does feel pretty good.

HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
post #10925 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
How rough is it? It looks almost like bedliner for a truck.

I see you are looking into the XV30se sub also.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10926 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
How rough is it? It looks almost like bedliner for a truck.

I see you are looking into the XV30se sub also.
It isn't bad at all... tomorrow morning I will take a hi-res picture and post here. I definitely isn't like a bed liner. It's more like the cerekote on a rifle

I really want the XS30se. I hope I can afford it with the holiday creeping up on us and all.

post #10927 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds good!

Is that sub that big of an upgrade over your current sub?

Looking at the size of it my Classic Threes they'd look like satellite speakers next to it.
post #10928 of 10950 Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Jhughy,

That XS30se looks like an amazing sub! I too would like to see the actual finish. It's hard to tell with the color palates they have online.

Ray

post #10929 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sounds good!

Is that sub that big of an upgrade over your current sub?

Looking at the size of it my Classic Threes they'd look like satellite speakers next to it.
I think that output might be a little more but I'm hoping that extension smooths out. I'm opting for the XS30se over the ported simply due to the ability to place it in more tight fitting places.

I did, however, watch Pacific Rim last night and I can say that the XV15 performs astonishingly! An upgrade would be nice but I am still very blown away with the current set-up.

Quote:
Jhughy,

That XS30se looks like an amazing sub! I too would like to see the actual finish. It's hard to tell with the color palates they have online.
I'll post a picture here in a bit.

post #10930 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Here are a few (grainy) shots of the PSA XV15... as you can see I have the port firing toward the smaller couch (not really ideal).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1416933685
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141125_083027.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	384658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141125_082943.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	384666  
Randall.White likes this.

post #10931 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Jhughy,

The finish looks pretty smooth from the pics. Nice room by the way! I don't think that the port facing the couch would cause any issues, bass is non-directional and as long as it's not blocked so that the air flows freely, there should be no issues at all. From looking at the side facing the large couch, it looks like the port would be more than far enough. It does help to have the subs place close-field like you have to feel more impact.

An an aside question, are you having issues with your center? It's not usually good practice to have something in front of it (between the center and the listening position). It looks as though your center is firing directly at the ottoman. It may just be the angle of the picture you took that makes it look like the center is not quite high enough.

Again, very nice, clean setup! Looks like your display case was custom made for your display - just squeezes in there perfectly.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #10932 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jhughy,

The finish looks pretty smooth from the pics. Nice room by the way! I don't think that the port facing the couch would cause any issues, bass is non-directional and as long as it's not blocked so that the air flows freely, there should be no issues at all. From looking at the side facing the large couch, it looks like the port would be more than far enough. It does help to have the subs place close-field like you have to feel more impact.

An an aside question, are you having issues with your center? It's not usually good practice to have something in front of it (between the center and the listening position). It looks as though your center is firing directly at the ottoman. It may just be the angle of the picture you took that makes it look like the center is not quite high enough.

Again, very nice, clean setup! Looks like your display case was custom made for your display - just squeezes in there perfectly.
Thank you! Yes the port was pretty close to the couch and I heard port noise during a pretty low bass note so I moved it about 2 more inches away (as you can see in the picture). Actually, now it sounds pretty amazing! I would like another one of course, however, I don't have much space to put it... that is why I have been so interested in the sealed subs by PSA... I was thinking I could put the XS30se where the current sub is, then get an XS15se early next year and put it on the other side of the couch so that the poor sole sitting in the recliner can feel some bass too.

The center is in a less than ideal place you're right. However, I have 3 little ones that love that ottomon and climb all over it. Eventually, I want to replace the tv stand with something that has more shelving. I got a 60 inch TV that barely fits in there! LOL! But a new stand might help me raise the center to fire above the ottomon.

post #10933 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I pulled the trigger and a new NHT front stage (LCR) is on the way to my house as I type (early xmas for me, and I couldn't resist the Black November prices). Dawn Gordon was very helpful and responsive, and I'm sure she'll see this, as she monitors these forums closely.

I was hoping to get some confirmation that I went with the right components. I am replacing Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000s sitting on my mantle and angled down slightly as my fronts, and a ProCenter 1000 as my center. (surround and sub upgrades will come later, but my wife doesn't know that yet, haha). I'm excited about moving up to larger woofer and a three-way design in the center; and I'm hopeful the towers will be a marked improvement in output over the small bookshelves.

My concerns:

1. I went with the Absolute Towers and TwoC Center (Absolute Center is out of stock, but appears available for full retail at some places); I emailed with Chris at NHT and he assured me they would go together, despite differing in the tweeter/mid array, and using different woofer materials (at least they are all acoustic suspension and the same sized woofer?). Anyone here experience this combo?

2. I also ordered a pair of the AM15 mounts for the center. As my center is placed over my TV (quite high near the ceiling), I'm not sure this will be the best option, as it does not allow for angling towards the MLP, but I have been unable to find anything that works as an angled mount for the TwoC. Suggestions, or just let room correction best with it as best it can?

3. Was the Absolute Tower the right choice? I could have gotten the Classic Threes (or Twos) and placed them on the mantle like the PM1000s are, but the left one would have blocked the screen partially from one seating position, and they are the same depth as the mantle, so would essentially be pushed up against the wall (the Twos slightly less so). I've read that the Towers are more forgiving of placement (and I will have them roughly 6" form the wall), while the Classics need some more room.

4. Future upgrade: I'm keeping my Def Tech PM800s in the back (surrounds) for now, but curious if there is a large difference between the Absolute Wall and Zero speakers for surround duty. When I replace them, I will likely move them up on the wall (currently, the right surround sits on the white entry table, which I'm sure is causing reflections, and both are placed right at ear height and straight to the side (90 degrees) of the MLP/couch). I would probably have room to wall mount either, but any input on which might be more suitable/ any tradeoffs in the designs is welcome.

The room is 17' x 14' with 9 foot ceilings and is open to a dining room through a wis archway in the rear, and a stairwell goes up in the rear, which the couch is pushed back against. Aside form the speakers, the differences in the room from the pictures below are that we now have a smaller coffee table and I've not got an Ikea Expedit full of LPs with a turn table on top where that plant is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10616735214_66ae95e5b1_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	384929   Click image for larger version

Name:	10616984893_a592be9f47_o.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	384937   Click image for larger version

Name:	10616705095_71cc9084ef_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	384945   Click image for larger version

Name:	10616706345_3f6e8a134a_o.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	384953  
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10934 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

I hooked up my Absolute towers with my ThreeC center and it was fine, I went back to my Classic Threes though just cause my game room needed a sturdier speaker base. We watch games in there and some of my friends have a few too many and I don't want them knocking a bookshelf speaker off of a stand.

I own Classic Threes and Absolute Towers, both are great. We use the towers in our game room, mainly playing music and for watching games. I did have some cheaper speakers in there but after I got the Threes my wife didn't like the sound of the lower quality speaker. She gave the "OK" to buy some new ones. I don't think you could go wrong but with your setup of TV, I think you made the right choice by going with tower speakers. Once you get them, you'll be surprised how small the actual footprint is.

From what I've seen is they AW and AZ are basically the same. One just has a mount built in and is made to go on the wall.

What receiver are you using?
DonnyKerabatsos likes this.
post #10935 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here are a few (grainy) shots of the PSA XV15... as you can see I have the port firing toward the smaller couch (not really ideal).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1416933685
It looks alot better than what I thought. On the website they look very basic but that looks nice.

Nice room, how big is it? Just wondering if it's close to my room size. I have one of my LFM-1EX's about that close to my MLP.
post #10936 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! Yes the port was pretty close to the couch and I heard port noise during a pretty low bass note so I moved it about 2 more inches away (as you can see in the picture). Actually, now it sounds pretty amazing! I would like another one of course, however, I don't have much space to put it... that is why I have been so interested in the sealed subs by PSA... I was thinking I could put the XS30se where the current sub is, then get an XS15se early next year and put it on the other side of the couch so that the poor sole sitting in the recliner can feel some bass too.

The center is in a less than ideal place you're right. However, I have 3 little ones that love that ottomon and climb all over it. Eventually, I want to replace the tv stand with something that has more shelving. I got a 60 inch TV that barely fits in there! LOL! But a new stand might help me raise the center to fire above the ottomon.
I much prefer the sound of sealed subs, not port noise no matter how hard you push them. This is preference of course. A ported sub does have greater output up to the port tuned frequency. Sealed subs don't have that extra output and require more power to reach the same SPL as the ported, but no port noise and for me they just have a much preferred sound - especially for music.

I do understand the center issue and having kids, I've been pretty lucky with that. I only have one son (was late have kids, so really can't have any more) and he's been good with electronics since he was 3. If you're enjoying your system and it works, then there's really nothing to worry about. When they get older you can change your center. I do like the way your display just fits, really looks custom!

Ray

post #10937 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Randall,

Thanks for the info; had I realized the ThreeC sounded fine with the smaller-woofered ATs, I may have gone for that instead. I guess I'll know if i have any regrets after I get all these speakers broken in.

"What receiver are you using?"

Denon AVR 1913. Ideally, I'd like to step up to something with a sub EQ and the ability to do HDMI to zone 2, but with a sub and surround upgrades on the horizon, I don't think this unit is going anywhere anytime soon, barring its failure.
post #10938 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
I pulled the trigger and a new NHT front stage (LCR) is on the way to my house as I type (early xmas for me, and I couldn't resist the Black November prices). Dawn Gordon was very helpful and responsive, and I'm sure she'll see this, as she monitors these forums closely.

I was hoping to get some confirmation that I went with the right components. I am replacing Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000s sitting on my mantle and angled down slightly as my fronts, and a ProCenter 1000 as my center. (surround and sub upgrades will come later, but my wife doesn't know that yet, haha). I'm excited about moving up to larger woofer and a three-way design in the center; and I'm hopeful the towers will be a marked improvement in output over the small bookshelves.

My concerns:

1. I went with the Absolute Towers and TwoC Center (Absolute Center is out of stock, but appears available for full retail at some places); I emailed with Chris at NHT and he assured me they would go together, despite differing in the tweeter/mid array, and using different woofer materials (at least they are all acoustic suspension and the same sized woofer?). Anyone here experience this combo?

2. I also ordered a pair of the AM15 mounts for the center. As my center is placed over my TV (quite high near the ceiling), I'm not sure this will be the best option, as it does not allow for angling towards the MLP, but I have been unable to find anything that works as an angled mount for the TwoC. Suggestions, or just let room correction best with it as best it can?

3. Was the Absolute Tower the right choice? I could have gotten the Classic Threes (or Twos) and placed them on the mantle like the PM1000s are, but the left one would have blocked the screen partially from one seating position, and they are the same depth as the mantle, so would essentially be pushed up against the wall (the Twos slightly less so). I've read that the Towers are more forgiving of placement (and I will have them roughly 6" form the wall), while the Classics need some more room.

4. Future upgrade: I'm keeping my Def Tech PM800s in the back (surrounds) for now, but curious if there is a large difference between the Absolute Wall and Zero speakers for surround duty. When I replace them, I will likely move them up on the wall (currently, the right surround sits on the white entry table, which I'm sure is causing reflections, and both are placed right at ear height and straight to the side (90 degrees) of the MLP/couch). I would probably have room to wall mount either, but any input on which might be more suitable/ any tradeoffs in the designs is welcome.

The room is 17' x 14' with 9 foot ceilings and is open to a dining room through a wis archway in the rear, and a stairwell goes up in the rear, which the couch is pushed back against. Aside form the speakers, the differences in the room from the pictures below are that we now have a smaller coffee table and I've not got an Ikea Expedit full of LPs with a turn table on top where that plant is.
Welcome to NHT, I'm sure you'll love them. Yes, Dawn frequents here a lot.

1. As for the TwoC, it will work perfectly with the Absolute Towers (actually all of the Classic series are a timber match). I would actually shy away from the Absolute center and go with the TwoC or ThreeC. The Absolute center is an MTM design which can have lobbing issues. Because of the extra midrange of the TwoC and ThreeC, the tweeter is off set and the lobbing issues are not there (greatly reduced to not have problems). Plus, the extra midrage is just much clearer and articulate. You made a good choice.

2. That is a very high mount for the center. You can place some type of rubber bumper or something on the back part of the rails to angle the speaker down. That should help. Just make sure it's secure so the speaker does not slide off.

3. The towers will be great. It's really a toss-up with the AT and the Threes (I prefer the Threes, others prefer the AT's). If you got the Threes, I'd still suggest putting them on stands and not the mantle.

4. For surround duty, especially with movies and having room correction, your current speakers would work fine. It won't be a timber match, but that won't be an issue. The front sound stage is much more important when it comes to timber matching speakers. Multi-channel music is another thing though, you can easily tell if they are different. Both the Absolute Zero and Walls are great, the main difference being size/shape. The Absolute Zeros would stick out quite a bit compared to the Walls. The Walls are not as deep, but are tall. You also just hang the walls by using a screw (hangs like a painting) - there is no built in mounting threads like the other bookshelves. I prefer having the option to use a mount that I can both angle and pitch (that can't really be done with the Walls).

Nice space. You'll need a pretty good sub to pressurize that large a space since it's open to a lot of other areas (or place them near-field like jhughy did above - I did the same thing so you can feel it more).
DonnyKerabatsos likes this.

Ray

post #10939 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Randall bet me to it...

Ray

post #10940 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Lol, This it the first thread I click on when I get on this forum. It's always nice getting another opinion.
post #10941 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol, This it the first thread I click on when I get on this forum. It's always nice getting another opinion.
Agreed, even though it's practically the same opinion...

I also check this tread first, have a lot of subscriptions but this is my go to one.

Ray

post #10942 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

@randall , I have a giant room. Behind the main couch is the kitchen and informal dinning room. It's like 40' long. I think I have 9' ceilings... probably 18-20' wide. I have a lot of room to "compress" lol!

The LFM-1EX's is an excellent sub for the price. Are you thinking of upgrading as well?

My living room is cool and all... I don't quite hate it but there are things that I wish (and may if I stay) I could change. For one, the fireplace sucks! I would much rather be able to have me right front speaker more into the corner but the fireplace is in the way. I also really hate the tile. I wish the living room was carpet and the kitchen remained tile. The sub moved around on the tile quite a bit and I ended up buying a sub pad to put the PSA on.

@ cavchameleon, thanks I like the TV stand's look as well. I actually figured out awhile back that I could have put a thin bezel 65" in it but there were none that I was interested in buying at the time. The 60" SQ will do for now.

post #10943 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm wanting to replace my (2) Outlaw subs. Just wasn't sure which company I was wanting to go with. I just watched a video on XS30se and it was impressive. Hitting 117db and the glass of water didn't even move. Is yours built like that as well? It would be nice to use them as a side table. I'm wanting that WOW, BAM in your face bass. Which I thought I had from my Outlaws back when I first got them. The Outlaws still sound good for music or for my wifes needs so I don't think I'll be selling them anytime soon.

in case you wanted to see the video.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10944 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

That is pretty cool! Yes, my XV15 is very nice as an end table. I haven't had anything moving around on top of it either.... lol

post #10945 of 10950 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Welcome to NHT, I'm sure you'll love them. Yes, Dawn frequents here a lot.

1. As for the TwoC, it will work perfectly with the Absolute Towers (actually all of the Classic series are a timber match). I would actually shy away from the Absolute center and go with the TwoC or ThreeC. The Absolute center is an MTM design which can have lobbing issues. Because of the extra midrange of the TwoC and ThreeC, the tweeter is off set and the lobbing issues are not there (greatly reduced to not have problems). Plus, the extra midrage is just much clearer and articulate. You made a good choice.

2. That is a very high mount for the center. You can place some type of rubber bumper or something on the back part of the rails to angle the speaker down. That should help. Just make sure it's secure so the speaker does not slide off.

3. The towers will be great. It's really a toss-up with the AT and the Threes (I prefer the Threes, others prefer the AT's). If you got the Threes, I'd still suggest putting them on stands and not the mantle.

4. For surround duty, especially with movies and having room correction, your current speakers would work fine. It won't be a timber match, but that won't be an issue. The front sound stage is much more important when it comes to timber matching speakers. Multi-channel music is another thing though, you can easily tell if they are different. Both the Absolute Zero and Walls are great, the main difference being size/shape. The Absolute Zeros would stick out quite a bit compared to the Walls. The Walls are not as deep, but are tall. You also just hang the walls by using a screw (hangs like a painting) - there is no built in mounting threads like the other bookshelves. I prefer having the option to use a mount that I can both angle and pitch (that can't really be done with the Walls).

Nice space. You'll need a pretty good sub to pressurize that large a space since it's open to a lot of other areas (or place them near-field like jhughy did above - I did the same thing so you can feel it more).
Thanks for the detailed reply. Anxious to get everything here, dialed in and broken in to hear for myself. The sub upgrade is definitely a higher priority over the surrounds, though I'm pretty restricted on sub placement. I'm pretty much between the svs sb2000 and rythmik f12, as I need something smaller and am not as crazy about the chest pounding hometheater bass as a lot of folks here are; I'd just like some more detail, etc. My wife thinks the Prosub I have is overkill as it is, so a sub upgrade has been shot down so far. Oh well, plenty of time to get used to the new toys before I pick up that discussion again.

Last edited by DonnyKerabatsos; Today at 07:35 AM.
post #10946 of 10950 Old Today, 10:43 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Interesting thing I just did. I have the old VT-2 towers that are similar to the Classic Four and I just sealed the rear port. To me, the bass is MUCH improved! It doesn't seem like any less output that I can tell but Deeper and more controlled. All of this has made me change my mind on my upcoming subwoofer purchase.
I was originally wanting the SVS PC-12 Plus and run it in 16Hz mode. Now I think I want the Power Sound XS-30se instead! Just wanted to share my 2 cents.
jhughy2010 likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #10947 of 10950 Old Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Anxious to get everything here, dialed in and broken in to hear for myself. The sub upgrade is definitely a higher priority over the surrounds, though I'm pretty restricted on sub placement. I'm pretty much between the svs sb2000 and rythmik f12, as I need something smaller and am not as crazy about the chest pounding hometheater bass as a lot of folks here are; I'd just like some more detail, etc. My wife thinks the Prosub I have is overkill as it is, so a sub upgrade has been shot down so far. Oh well, plenty of time to get used to the new toys before I pick up that discussion again.
Keep us posted, would like to hear how you like them after setting them up. Definitive Technology makes some great speaker, so it would be nice to hear your opinion one way or the other on your impressions.

Ray

post #10948 of 10950 Old Today, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Interesting thing I just did. I have the old VT-2 towers that are similar to the Classic Four and I just sealed the rear port. To me, the bass is MUCH improved! It doesn't seem like any less output that I can tell but Deeper and more controlled. All of this has made me change my mind on my upcoming subwoofer purchase.
I was originally wanting the SVS PC-12 Plus and run it in 16Hz mode. Now I think I want the Power Sound XS-30se instead! Just wanted to share my 2 cents.
Very interesting, what did you use to fill it? Was is a 'loose' fill or packed tightly? I did that to my Fours and it did't make a difference, so took the filling out. The slot of the Fours is very large, so no port noise but thought I'd try just to see.

The PS XS-30se would be an awesome sub!!!I'm becoming sub envious...still using my NHT W1's in my main room, but have two of them and they have been working fine (but do want to upgrade them to something more powerful).

Ray

post #10949 of 10950 Old Today, 12:37 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I cut up a cheap "memory foam" pillow into two 6"x18" strips. I rolled the strips up VERY TIGHTLY into 6" long rolls. They fit VERY tightly into the ports. I had tried doing this a while back with much smaller pieces that didn't fit very tight and I couldn't tell a difference. I believe that it has to be very tightly sealed to work. I can say that it definitely sounds better!
As for the XS30se, I am still paying off my Denon 4520 I just bought so won't be buying a sub till late next year. However, my VT-2's sound terrific and most of the time I don't miss having a separate subwoofer. Also, the XT32 has made a HUGE improvement in ALL aspects of sound quality on my "aging" speakers!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #10950 of 10950 Old Today, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Keep us posted, would like to hear how you like them after setting them up. Definitive Technology makes some great speaker, so it would be nice to hear your opinion one way or the other on your impressions.
Agreed on the Def Techs (although I wish I had gone with the bigger PC2000 center, and a different ID sub). They were really perfect for my situation at the time (unwilling to consider placement anywhere but the mantle), and are pretty amazing for their size (and price), but they just can't beat the laws of physics that (well made) larger cabinets are going to dig deeper, have more out put, etc.

I will definitely report back with my impressions. Given my placement issues with not being able to pull the front speakers very far into the room/needing a small footprint, and practical concerns with using stands up front, I really do think that the absolute towers are my best option, based on what I've read (I was close to pulling the trigger on some Golden Ear Triton Sevens and 50C center, but budget, size and placement just didn't quite work, despite being very close). Also, finding a center that is small enough/wall mountable in my configuration considerably narrows the choice of matching speakers.

Anyway, estimated arrival of the NHTs is Monday, but hopefully they get in this weekend so I can get them going and report back soon. Thanks for all the input.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page