post #10921 of 10921 Old Today, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
They didn't stop making the sub I have (PSA XV15) they only upgraded it, thus the "se" which is a slightly improved driver and amplifier. They were pretty modest upgrades (unfortunately I bought mine a few months before they upgraded and I wasn't eligible to do the discounted swap out of the driver and amp).

It is very true that the "Satin Black Texture" that the PSA comes in doesn't look as good as the SVS subwoofers with their upgraded "black grain vinyl" material. The reason PSA decided to offer their subs with the Satin Black Texture is completely due to costs. If you think about it they did the right thing because it's allowing people that are going to stuff their subs in a corner or behind a couch anyway to get an awesome, giant sub, for significantly cheaper than the competition. If SVS opted to do the same thing than their subs should consequently be cheaper... If you were to compare apples to apples (as far as XV15 to PB2000) than the XV would cost $1249 (with the black ash) and the PB would continue to cost $799 (black grain vinyl which ultimately looks very similar). Essentially, you get what you pay for with a PSA

Again, one of the main reasons why I went with PSA was not only the startling reviews but the fact they are made here in the states and that is still kind of important to me. Also, their customer service sealed the deal for me as stated. Lastly, I read somewhere that the PSA folks had some affiliation with SVS at one point in time (I cannot remember what...)
If I recall correctly, Tom from PSA was one of the designers for SVS. When he left, he and his partner were designing their own line - PSA. They definitely are on the top of my list for my next subwoofer purchase, along with Seaton (but those are Huge and quite expensive, but he makes some of the best subs around - also made here in the USA). I too also try to purchase products made here when possible. NHT used to be totally made here in California until the last series of the 1.5i / 2.5i's. Then they outsourced to China unfortunately in order to stay competitive. At least the main company and design is still made here and the drivers are made in Europe (the cabinets and assembly are made in China).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page