post #10981 of 11001 Old 12-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I agree about having a family friendly room. My room is so large that consequently another XV15 wouldn't stand out much because it would double as an end table. I was really interested in going the XS15 or 30 route because the sealed design would allow me to hide the controls up against a couch and eliminate a port (my little girl loves to turn the dials and then stuff toys in the port). I realized though that sealed might not create the output I so desire and it would cost quite a bit doing the trade up with PSA. So another XV15 is in order... likely to be purchased right after Christmas (I hope).

@Cav , I couldn't agree with you more, my boys (5&6) only watch Thomas the train and curious George. Keep em young while you can (I've been negotiating with their mom to allow me to watch Star Wars with them). As far as the gaming system, it is pretty cool to have the F-20's in there for music especially. They create quite a bit of output and I almost prefer the sound in that smaller room than I do in my living room with all the expensive stuff. Maybe not so much for movies but for music the F-20's really come alive in the smaller room. They are cheap (really cheap) and I don't really feel bad about pushing them HARD so I think that is why I am so impressed with them.
Those were my thoughts, having the controls, switches against the couch. Keeping little hands (and wife) off of them. I'm hoping one near field will be enough for me. Tom did say that you have a year to add another for the cheaper price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 11001 Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
I think Star Wars would be fine. My son watched them at 6 and loves them, including Star Trek. He also watched Jurassic Park at that age (love dinosaurs). He was a bit scared after watching the first one, but then we just saw the whole disc on the making of Jurassic Park and he got it - animatronics and CGI. He was never scared again and watched all the others. He does not watch horror movies and like I mentioned, no strong games for any gaming. He does a lot of Minecraft though, as does his friends.
You guys see the trailer for Jurassic world?
post #10983 of 11001 Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I was planning on getting a sub also, more than likely the XS30se and have it behind our couch. We have one Outlaw there now and it added that punch I was missing with the single sub. Once we get everything moved and set up I'll do the sub crawl over.

I agree, I wasn't thinking of getting (2) Right speakers cause I'm a very visual person and things that are out of whack really bother me. Was just wondering why they are cheaper for one versus the other??

That's what I wanted to hear, hard to knock over. As it is even with the speaker stands full they are not secured to the Threes. I mean 500+ speaker falling from 3' is scary. Plus I can get 7.1 again

Hmmm, never thought of using piano polish. Thanks for the tip. I did use some wax and swirl remover on my older BIC subwoofer I had lol. It did the job, but didn't want to use that on these speakers.
Great sub choice!!!

The NHT finish is pretty much the same as a nice piano - same quality as an expensive piano. So, I figured if the polish could be used on a multi-thousand dollar piano, it'd be fine for these speakers. Just spray onto a cloth so you don't accidentally get it on the drivers.
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #10984 of 11001 Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You guys see the trailer for Jurassic world?
Oh yeah, we're all over it. My son has already looked at all available trailers online. Can't wait. Star Wars also will be playing next year!

We're hoping DC comics catches up with Marvel. Marvel has been great at releasing movies. That's the cool thing about having kids, you get to be a kid yourself all over again!!!
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #10985 of 11001 Old 12-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

I think we went over this before but I had a guy come demo my subs and he ended up liking my speakers (Threes). What would I be losing if I were to go with AZ/AW? Considering now the plan is to use all of them as surrounds. Would I be able to hear any loss of detail or anything at all.

I did show him the Absolute towers but he said his wife would prefer the bookshelf sized speakers. Should I let him buy them?

Crazy to think that only a few weeks ago I was totally happy with this speakers and just wanted to change out my subs. Things change pretty fast.
post #10986 of 11001 Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I think we went over this before but I had a guy come demo my subs and he ended up liking my speakers (Threes). What would I be losing if I were to go with AZ/AW? Considering now the plan is to use all of them as surrounds. Would I be able to hear any loss of detail or anything at all.

I did show him the Absolute towers but he said his wife would prefer the bookshelf sized speakers. Should I let him buy them?

Crazy to think that only a few weeks ago I was totally happy with this speakers and just wanted to change out my subs. Things change pretty fast.
My assumption is that you would lose lots of detail. The threes are quite the step up from the twos which are quite the step up from the zeros. So... the threes pretty much blow the zeros away. Is your thought to go with the fours up front and zeros for the other 4 surrounds? If so, why not get the Fours, use the threes as surrounds and grab another pair of threes later when they are on sale to complete your 7.1

I am thinking about putting some threes up front, taking my twos and adding them to the SB to make a 7.1 (then 7.2 once I order the XV15se). The problem I face is that I would have to ceiling mount the SB as the SR are already ceiling mounted and would need to move over to make room up there.
cavchameleon likes this.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #10987 of 11001 Old 12-13-2014, 08:13 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The twos are down in the midrange to my ears. I wonder if this thread will make it to the 10 year mark? Wow.
post #10988 of 11001 Old 12-14-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Randall,

I'd have to agree with the above that the Threes/Fours are a league above the Twos/AZs. The Twos/AZ's just don't have the mid-range detail of the Threes/Fours. The AT's are better than the Two's AZ's also because it has a dedicated mid-range driver. For me the Three's Fours are much more detailed in the mid-range and mid-bass. You will loose a LOT since you're use to the sound of the Threes already IMO.

I have all the bookshelves in my home (including the Super Zeros) and the Fours. I've had the AT's and all the different centers also as I set up systems for my friends and family - and they want it all tested first before I do the installs in their home, so I get to do a lot of comparisons. I'd say keep the Threes, get Fours for the front's if you want that route and get a sealed sub. You'll be very happy with the setup. I use the Twos for wides and the AZ's for heights/rears but want to change those out to all Threes also at some time, but those positions are not the most important. The front three, FL/C/FR and the surrounds are all the Fours/Threes/3C to get a perfect match (I could easily hear the difference if I put the AZ's or Twos in any of those positions, although for surrounds they would work fine, especially for movies). For multi-channel music, they needed to match to really sound best.

The choice really up to you and your taste, but it seems as though you are pretty picky. You could do the AT's all the way around as another option also if you want smaller footprint towers (with a 3C or 2C for the center). Of course a sub would absolutely be required for this setup. The AT's would be pretty stable for having kids around.
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

post #10989 of 11001 Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
My assumption is that you would lose lots of detail. The threes are quite the step up from the twos which are quite the step up from the zeros. So... the threes pretty much blow the zeros away. Is your thought to go with the fours up front and zeros for the other 4 surrounds? If so, why not get the Fours, use the threes as surrounds and grab another pair of threes later when they are on sale to complete your 7.1

I am thinking about putting some threes up front, taking my twos and adding them to the SB to make a 7.1 (then 7.2 once I order the XV15se). The problem I face is that I would have to ceiling mount the SB as the SR are already ceiling mounted and would need to move over to make room up there.
He wanted all 4 of them... Other wise I would of probably let them go. That's what I was afraid of, I hooked up my old surround speakers before I sold them (last week) and they sounded awful compared to Threes. One scene in 300 where they are going through wheat field, with my old speakers it sounds like whoosh and the Threes you could almost feel like each blade of wheat was going by you. I don't want to lose that.
post #10990 of 11001 Old 12-14-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
He wanted all 4 of them... Other wise I would of probably let them go. That's what I was afraid of, I hooked up my old surround speakers before I sold them (last week) and they sounded awful compared to Threes. One scene in 300 where they are going through wheat field, with my old speakers it sounds like whoosh and the Threes you could almost feel like each blade of wheat was going by you. I don't want to lose that.
Yep, you already verified it then. Good to know you tested them out.

Ray

post #10991 of 11001 Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Randall,

I'd have to agree with the above that the Threes/Fours are a league above the Twos/AZs. The Twos/AZ's just don't have the mid-range detail of the Threes/Fours. The AT's are better than the Two's AZ's also because it has a dedicated mid-range driver. For me the Three's Fours are much more detailed in the mid-range and mid-bass. You will loose a LOT since you're use to the sound of the Threes already IMO.

I have all the bookshelves in my home (including the Super Zeros) and the Fours. I've had the AT's and all the different centers also as I set up systems for my friends and family - and they want it all tested first before I do the installs in their home, so I get to do a lot of comparisons. I'd say keep the Threes, get Fours for the front's if you want that route and get a sealed sub. You'll be very happy with the setup. I use the Twos for wides and the AZ's for heights/rears but want to change those out to all Threes also at some time, but those positions are not the most important. The front three, FL/C/FR and the surrounds are all the Fours/Threes/3C to get a perfect match (I could easily hear the difference if I put the AZ's or Twos in any of those positions, although for surrounds they would work fine, especially for movies). For multi-channel music, they needed to match to really sound best.

The choice really up to you and your taste, but it seems as though you are pretty picky. You could do the AT's all the way around as another option also if you want smaller footprint towers (with a 3C or 2C for the center). Of course a sub would absolutely be required for this setup. The AT's would be pretty stable for having kids around.
Thanks for your input. I was thinking that, spend the money and get something I can be happy with for years to come.
post #10992 of 11001 Old 12-14-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I was thinking that, spend the money and get something I can be happy with for years to come.
That's actually a very wise decision if the pocket book will allow it (sometimes funding requires different choices). Good luck with yours and keep us updated. It can be a fun journey!
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #10993 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this the only NHT Owner's thread?

Absolute Zeros just delivered. Going to place them as surrounds. Have Absolute Towers, NHT 10" sub, and right now Classic 3's as surrounds, but the plan had always been to move the 3's to the bedroom and use them standalone; hope the AZ's won't disappoint.

Also have two SuperOnes 2.1s in another room for audio only, and the O2 ARCs on the patio. Well, had to bring them in for the winter
post #10994 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's actually a very wise decision if the pocket book will allow it (sometimes funding requires different choices). Good luck with yours and keep us updated. It can be a fun journey!
If I would of just bought these in the first place I would of saved money. Considering multiple Polk setups, Klipsch and BIC. But at the same time I wouldn't probably appreciate NHT as much.
post #10995 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoth View Post
Is this the only NHT Owner's thread?

Absolute Zeros just delivered. Going to place them as surrounds. Have Absolute Towers, NHT 10" sub, and right now Classic 3's as surrounds, but the plan had always been to move the 3's to the bedroom and use them standalone; hope the AZ's won't disappoint.

Also have two SuperOnes 2.1s in another room for audio only, and the O2 ARCs on the patio. Well, had to bring them in for the winter

As far as I've seen this is the only thread and there is only a few of us who regularly use it. I'm interested to hear what you have to say going from 3's to AZ surrounds.

How do you like the outdoor speakers? I was thinking about getting some for our deck but we only have 3 months we really use the deck. Not sure if it's worth the money....
post #10996 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I would of just bought these in the first place I would of saved money. Considering multiple Polk setups, Klipsch and BIC. But at the same time I wouldn't probably appreciate NHT as much.
Very true. I when through a LOT of different speakers throughout my life (and still have some other brands in the house) but really love NHT. IMO, great quality for the price. There are a lot of other speakers that I also like, but have pretty much stuck with NHT for my main system.

Ray

post #10997 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as I've seen this is the only thread and there is only a few of us who regularly use it. I'm interested to hear what you have to say going from 3's to AZ surrounds.

How do you like the outdoor speakers? I was thinking about getting some for our deck but we only have 3 months we really use the deck. Not sure if it's worth the money....
Same here, so we ended up getting some rock speakers that Costco sold which were good enough for our outside use (was under $100 for a pair of rock speakers that had coaxial 8" drivers).

Zalmoth, curious - why do you have to take down your O2 ARC's? The are supposed to handle all types of weather.

There used to be a lot of traffic initially in this tread, but as Randall stated, it's only a few of us now. At least until NHT comes out with something new and then we'd have to probably start another thread.

Ray

post #10998 of 11001 Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM

Well, I know it's not really a good comparison since the AZs and 3s are so different. The 3s were just placeholders really, as surrounds. Right now I have the AZs and SuperOnes 2.1 hooked up to my old Onkyo TX-8511.
The O2 ARCs, sometimes I think they may be my favorite NHT speaker. They can do it all, overcome the wind and traffic noise when they have too, but then at 1am quite summer night wooden music like Alexi Murdoch they are real detailed and clean.
post #10999 of 11001 Old 12-16-2014, 07:58 AM

I forgot to answer, according to NHT the O2 ARCS can operate to -20F but I'm not going to be out on the patio then. We had single digit temperatures coming and I had to face facts, patio season was over. It was easy to dismount them from the Vantage Point mounts so why leave them out in the 43.6 degree north latitude winter if you don't have to?
post #11000 of 11001 Old 12-16-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoth View Post
I forgot to answer, according to NHT the O2 ARCS can operate to -20F but I'm not going to be out on the patio then. We had single digit temperatures coming and I had to face facts, patio season was over. It was easy to dismount them from the Vantage Point mounts so why leave them out in the 43.6 degree north latitude winter if you don't have to?
I have to agree that it's probably good to keep them out of the elements when you can. But, they should be able to survive with no issues. Think about all the speakers in all the cars that are outside all the time in temperatures below that with no issues. In any case, I'd probably do the same thing when not used, especially for expensive speakers.

Ray

post #11001 of 11001 Unread Today, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

My wife wanted to go to the movies the other day and it was awful. I don't know if my ears can't handle those kind of speakers or what? It was painful for both of us. Once we got out she said we should of just waited for it to come out on Blu Ray. It wasn't too loud because we sure could hear all the people chomping on their popcorn. The speakers were just harsh sounding.

Sucks cause there is a few movies coming out in the near future but I think I'll enjoy them more at home.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page