New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 370 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #11071 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
WOW! What speakers do you have and have you noticed any "wear and tear" or any loss at all?
I have VT-2 towers, VS-2 center and HDP-1 surrounds. They have held up Extremely well! The only thing that degraded was the little strip of foam that was glued to the front baffle next to the tweeter. It finally dry-rotted last year or so. I didn't really notice any difference in sound without it anyway. Actually since I upgraded my receiver to one with XT32, my speakers sound Better than ever!

I have pushed them Very hard without any issues. I even watched Edge Of Tomorrow at -10 MV without knowing about the extreme bass at the beginning. I thought those 10" woofers were going to fly right out of the cabinet! Didn't break them luckily, these things are really well made!

Anyway, I plan on finally getting a pair of real subs to help them out. Looking at a pair of PSA XS30se's. Eventually I am considering going with PSA's high efficiency speakers, just not anytime soon. The NHT's just sound so good to me that I'm in no hurry to replace them.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is my front sound stage. Again, I'm really digging these bookshelfs up at (or just above) ear level.

(crappy iPhone pic)
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #11073 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is my front stage, although they are planned to be mounted on the wall due to my 2 year old who put her finger through the aluminum midrange Right now they are sitting on a pair of W1's.

lulimet and jhughy2010 like this.

Last edited by mmsean; 01-19-2015 at 10:51 AM.
post #11074 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post
Here is my front stage, although they are not planned to be mounted on the wall due to my 2 year old who put her finger through the aluminum midrange
My daughter did that on my center. A couple bills later and all was well.

Nice, clean set up.
post #11075 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
This is my front sound stage. Again, I'm really digging these bookshelfs up at (or just above) ear level.

(crappy iPhone pic)
I guess I'll be the first to say you should wall mount your tv and put the center speaker on top of the stand. I did that with my setup and it made a HUGE difference!

Nice setup though!

post #11076 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I guess I'll be the first to say you should wall mount your tv and put the center speaker on top of the stand. I did that with my setup and it made a HUGE difference!

Nice setup though!
Believe me, you're not the first. I know, I know... I just don't want to do all that work.
mnc likes this.
post #11077 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yes Craw,

I'd have to agree with MNC, the center is very compromised it is current position. And, it really is easy to mount displays these days. Lot's of options on mounts, most very easy to do. The center would just open up a LOT, just like the Threes did with raising them. Glad you are liking them!!!

Nice setup by the way!!!

MMSEAN,

Love the Rotels! Great electronics. Do you have any issues with reflections on your right channel since it's very close to the wall? Have you tried toeing them in a bit (you'll have to do the same with the left side of course). Very clean setup!

You both have very clean setups! Mine is a bit crowded, but ok since it's not a regular living space.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11078 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I have VT-2 towers, VS-2 center and HDP-1 surrounds. They have held up Extremely well! The only thing that degraded was the little strip of foam that was glued to the front baffle next to the tweeter. It finally dry-rotted last year or so. I didn't really notice any difference in sound without it anyway. Actually since I upgraded my receiver to one with XT32, my speakers sound Better than ever!

I have pushed them Very hard without any issues. I even watched Edge Of Tomorrow at -10 MV without knowing about the extreme bass at the beginning. I thought those 10" woofers were going to fly right out of the cabinet! Didn't break them luckily, these things are really well made!

Anyway, I plan on finally getting a pair of real subs to help them out. Looking at a pair of PSA XS30se's. Eventually I am considering going with PSA's high efficiency speakers, just not anytime soon. The NHT's just sound so good to me that I'm in no hurry to replace them.
That's really good news. I've listened to other speakers around the same price point and to me my NHT speakers are far superior. I've been wanting to upgrade to the Four's but was afraid once I spend that much money something new and shiny will come out and I'll want that. From reading this post NHT doesn't come out with new speakers all that often.

Those were the subs I was looking at also, Tom suggested that I should really consider the XV30se for my room. I kinda want to try sealed but I don't know??? I'm all about bang for my buck.
post #11079 of 11100 Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
MMSEAN,

Love the Rotels! Great electronics. Do you have any issues with reflections on your right channel since it's very close to the wall? Have you tried toeing them in a bit (you'll have to do the same with the left side of course). Very clean setup!

You both have very clean setups! Mine is a bit crowded, but ok since it's not a regular living space.
Love the Rotels, however I'm getting rid of the RSX-1057 receiver which has been acting as a pre-pro since I bought it. Time to do an upgrade and probably going to get a Marantz AV7702. Will keep the Rotel RMB-1075, RMB-1085 though. Honestly this house we live in was bought primarily because my wife loved the layout. However that means it's not very home theater friendly with the 20+ foot vaulted ceiling. I'm currently running 3.1 with 2 subs. This picture was take about 3 years ago before we had our baby. Now that the little one is almost 3 yrs old, sitting right in front of the right speaker is a play kitchen. Sooooo my theater experience is less than stellar. Oh well.
post #11080 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Love the Rotels, however I'm getting rid of the RSX-1057 receiver which has been acting as a pre-pro since I bought it. Time to do an upgrade and probably going to get a Marantz AV7702. Will keep the Rotel RMB-1075, RMB-1085 though. Honestly this house we live in was bought primarily because my wife loved the layout. However that means it's not very home theater friendly with the 20+ foot vaulted ceiling. I'm currently running 3.1 with 2 subs. This picture was take about 3 years ago before we had our baby. Now that the little one is almost 3 yrs old, sitting right in front of the right speaker is a play kitchen. Sooooo my theater experience is less than stellar. Oh well.
The AV7702 is an awesome processor! D&M really keeps up with all the newest codecs and it has Audyssey XT32 which is pretty awesome. Great upgrade!

Yep, I understand having a kid that changes a LOT of how things need to be set up. My son is 8 now and is very much into electronics, so it's been fun. He even likes to spin vinyl once in a while. I'm trying to teach him all the legacy choices while keeping up with the newer ones.

Ray

post #11081 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice setup though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Yes Craw,

I'd have to agree with MNC, the center is very compromised it is current position. And, it really is easy to mount displays these days. Lot's of options on mounts, most very easy to do. The center would just open up a LOT, just like the Threes did with raising them. Glad you are liking them!!!

Nice setup by the way!!!
I really hadn't given much more thought to mounting the TV on the wall since I bought it five years ago (wow - time flies!), but I mentioned it to my wife last night and she's down for it!

Now I need to research what mount works best for my 50" Pioneer Kuro.
post #11082 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
I really hadn't given much more thought to mounting the TV on the wall since I bought it five years ago (wow - time flies!), but I mentioned it to my wife last night and she's down for it!

Now I need to research what mount works best for my 50" Pioneer Kuro.
I have this mount and love it compared to the newer cheaper versions. However I'm sure you can get one that works just as well.

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vmpl3/ - I have my Samsung 63" on this one, I liked that it had long vertical bars so if I needed to shift the TV up or down I could. It also goes up to 90 inches and up to 280 lbs. I really want a 70+" tv soon.

My mother-in-law bought this one: http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vlt5/ - It's nice however it only accepts up to 80 inches and up to 125 lbs.

You might find this handy as well. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #11083 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have this mount and love it compared to the newer cheaper versions. However I'm sure you can get one that works just as well.

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vmpl3/ - I have my Samsung 63" on this one, I liked that it had long vertical bars so if I needed to shift the TV up or down I could. It also goes up to 90 inches and up to 280 lbs. I really want a 70+" tv soon.

My mother-in-law bought this one: http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vlt5/ - It's nice however it only accepts up to 80 inches and up to 125 lbs.

You might find this handy as well. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
THANKS! I might order that first mount and the kit very soon!
mmsean likes this.
post #11084 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's really good news. I've listened to other speakers around the same price point and to me my NHT speakers are far superior. I've been wanting to upgrade to the Four's but was afraid once I spend that much money something new and shiny will come out and I'll want that. From reading this post NHT doesn't come out with new speakers all that often.

Those were the subs I was looking at also, Tom suggested that I should really consider the XV30se for my room. I kinda want to try sealed but I don't know??? I'm all about bang for my buck.
Are you looking to get just ONE sub or TWO?
I ask because Tom told me that I should go ported if I was only getting one, but said dual XS30's would be his choice for my room. BTW my room is an open living room with vaulted ceilings. I would guess over 5000 cubic feet and he still recommended the dual XS30's.

post #11085 of 11100 Old 01-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you looking to get just ONE sub or TWO?
I ask because Tom told me that I should go ported if I was only getting one, but said dual XS30's would be his choice for my room. BTW my room is an open living room with vaulted ceilings. I would guess over 5000 cubic feet and he still recommended the dual XS30's.
One for now but I really like running dual subs but my wife doesn't care for the large boxes anymore. That's why I was looking at just 1 for now and then MAYBE be able to sneak another monster in here lol. My room is open to most of my house also.
post #11086 of 11100 Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SuperZero 2.1 Surround Speaker Stands

I was looking for a pair of 30" speakers stands for my new SuperZero 2.1 for rear surround duty. I prefer something in black, metal, unobtrusive, yet solid construction and attractive for under $60. I found these so far on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
RumbleFish
post #11087 of 11100 Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM

I've always purchased Sanus Natural Foundation stands. Love them.

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/
post #11088 of 11100 Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Here is my front stage, although they are planned to be mounted on the wall due to my 2 year old who put her finger through the aluminum midrange Right now they are sitting on a pair of W1's.

I like the way it looks visually, but it also looks very echo-ey.
post #11089 of 11100 Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I like the way it looks visually, but it also looks very echo-ey.
Not much I can do about that other than a rug on the floor and heavy drapes on the opposing wall. Stained concrete floors have added a lot of reflection but with a Rottie and a Doberman it's much easier to maintain a stained concrete floor rather than carpet. Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated home theater room and the living room has a 20+ vaulted ceiling that leads to the upstairs. I wish architects would take into account Audio Visual items but my wife liked this house because it wasn't a plain box.
post #11090 of 11100 Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish View Post
I was looking for a pair of 30" speakers stands for my new SuperZero 2.1 for rear surround duty. I prefer something in black, metal, unobtrusive, yet solid construction and attractive for under $60. I found these so far on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
RumbleFish
I went with Sanus too (as pictured a few posts back), and I love them. VERY good quality!

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...r-stands/sf30/

You want a good, heavy stand that is fillable w/ lead shot or sand. I'd save for a few more dollars and go w/ Sanus if I were you.
post #11091 of 11100 Old 01-26-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Not much I can do about that other than a rug on the floor and heavy drapes on the opposing wall. Stained concrete floors have added a lot of reflection but with a Rottie and a Doberman it's much easier to maintain a stained concrete floor rather than carpet. Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated home theater room and the living room has a 20+ vaulted ceiling that leads to the upstairs. I wish architects would take into account Audio Visual items but my wife liked this house because it wasn't a plain box.

I have s similar kind of problem. 24'x16' room with a cathedral ceiling, hardwood floors and two openings to the open first floor. The worst part is one of the openings is to the kitchen where the sink is. The sink is very loud and my wife is a germaphobe. She rinses everything 25 times. It's the worst room in the house for audio and that's where my best audio system is.
post #11092 of 11100 Old 02-11-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I recently purchased two Classic Threes and a ThreeC for the front three in my 5.1 system, but am still using old tiny satellites from my old set for the two surrounds (and frankly, despite being ancient and cheap, they sound just fine in movies). Nevertheless, I'm contemplating upgrading those soon, and am looking at the Absolute Zero or the SuperOne 2.1. Any thoughts on how to choose between these two speakers for surround duty?
post #11093 of 11100 Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel THB View Post
I recently purchased two Classic Threes and a ThreeC for the front three in my 5.1 system, but am still using old tiny satellites from my old set for the two surrounds (and frankly, despite being ancient and cheap, they sound just fine in movies). Nevertheless, I'm contemplating upgrading those soon, and am looking at the Absolute Zero or the SuperOne 2.1. Any thoughts on how to choose between these two speakers for surround duty?
You'll be surprised how much you are missing once you upgrade your surrounds. I'd go with all matching (Classic Three) but if budget won't allow then the Absolute Zero's will work. You can send a PM to Dawn Gordon (?) on here and she can get you a discount on some speakers.

Do you have room for larger surround speakers?
post #11094 of 11100 Old 02-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
You'll be surprised how much you are missing once you upgrade your surrounds. I'd go with all matching (Classic Three) but if budget won't allow then the Absolute Zero's will work. You can send a PM to Dawn Gordon (?) on here and she can get you a discount on some speakers.

Do you have room for larger surround speakers?

I went through Dawn for my initial purchase, and got a really great price.

I do think Classic Three's for rears are out of my budget. I can fit larger surrounds within reason, but the smaller size of the AZ compared to the SuperOne is definitely more appealing. Just not sure how much I'd be realistically giving up by going with the smaller speaker that I'd probably have to set a higher crossover for - suspect not much, and I have a great sub.
post #11095 of 11100 Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I went through Dawn for my initial purchase, and got a really great price.

I do think Classic Three's for rears are out of my budget. I can fit larger surrounds within reason, but the smaller size of the AZ compared to the SuperOne is definitely more appealing. Just not sure how much I'd be realistically giving up by going with the smaller speaker that I'd probably have to set a higher crossover for - suspect not much, and I have a great sub.
Both speakers will be an upgrade over your current speakers. If you can spend the extra on the AZ, I'd say go for them. The AZ are the same series (Classic) as your Threes. They should blend nicely together.
post #11096 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
I also recently picked up Classic 3s and 3c. For two rears, I got a Classic 2s. The surround is amazing. Just do it
post #11097 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a big NHT fan and have a pair of ST-4's as my fronts. I'm planning to upgrade in the future and am wondering if NHT has anything new in the pipeline, as I know the Classic series have been out for a while now. Does anyone know if there is anything planned to be released in the near future or is the Classic series going to be it for a while?
post #11098 of 11100 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC1843 View Post
I'm a big NHT fan and have a pair of ST-4's as my fronts. I'm planning to upgrade in the future and am wondering if NHT has anything new in the pipeline, as I know the Classic series have been out for a while now. Does anyone know if there is anything planned to be released in the near future or is the Classic series going to be it for a while?
I haven't seen anything in my newsletters or seen anything online. Only speakers I've seen are the outdoor ones.

I'm looking to add some Fours to complete my setup. I'm sure once I order them that they'll come out with a new line and all my speakers will be old news
post #11099 of 11100 Old Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If you really think about it, there isn't much they can do to improve the Classic line and keep the price the same. Yes, they could upgrade to better drivers and XO's but that would increase the price a lot for probably not much more benefit. Also, they could change the shape, but I like the shape of the Classic's much better than any shape they had before (I prefer the rounded tops).

What I would like: a fully sealed version of the Fours and better out-rigger feet (more like the old all metal ones from all past towers).

Now, they also could add more expensive speakers to their line-up, but IMO there isn't much they can do to the current line and keep the prices down. The competition is just too stiff at these price points. I look a couple times a week at their site to see if there are any updates (like some of you probably do).

Ray

post #11100 of 11100 Old Today, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Daniel,

As long as you stay with the Classic line, the surrounds would sound fine with any of the satellites (Absolute Zeros, Twos, Threes). You would just have to use the correct XO.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers