New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 371 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
post #11101 of 11104 Old Today, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys... When listening to music, at what level do you Classic 3 owners keep your x-over? Speakers to large, and x-over at 80? 50? I think I like the sound of 50 more, but I've always been told to set it at 80 and forget it.

TYIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 11104 Old Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
Hey guys... When listening to music, at what level do you Classic 3 owners keep your x-over? Speakers to large, and x-over at 80? 50? I think I like the sound of 50 more, but I've always been told to set it at 80 and forget it.

TYIA
Even though the Threes are rated down to 45Hz, the material going to it when XO'd at a higher point, say at the 80Hz, will still have some lower level material. XO's are usually 12db/octave, so you'll get material 20 - 30 Hz below that point. IMO, it's better to XO at least 20-30 Hz higher than the -3db lower rating of the speaker to keep the dynamic headroom available (it really increases a lot if you don't over load the satellite with bass).

When integrated well, the subs and sats should blend so well you can't tell that the sound is separate boxes. Here's how I have my XO's set, whether for music or movies:

Fours: 60 Hz
Threes: 80Hz
Three C: 90 Hz
Twos: 90 Hz
AZ's: 100 Hz

Yes, they all can play lower and an 80Hz across the board would be fine (in fact, when running room correction the AVR sets the Fours and Threes to Full Range, the Three C to 40 Hz, and the others at 80 Hz). I prefer to raise them all and let the subs handle the bass which they are designed for. Then you can really crank up the sound an not strain the speakers or your AVR's amps.

Having said that, the Threes do sound pretty good by themselves full range for a lot of music (all but those with a heavy bass track).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11103 of 11104 Unread Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

TYIA
They should be set to small not large. Set them to small and x-over to 80Hz. The x-over will not be applied if they are set to Large.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #11104 of 11104 Unread Today, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Even though the Threes are rated down to 45Hz, the material going to it when XO'd at a higher point, say at the 80Hz, will still have some lower level material. XO's are usually 12db/octave, so you'll get material 20 - 30 Hz below that point. IMO, it's better to XO at least 20-30 Hz higher than the -3db lower rating of the speaker to keep the dynamic headroom available (it really increases a lot if you don't over load the satellite with bass).

When integrated well, the subs and sats should blend so well you can't tell that the sound is separate boxes. Here's how I have my XO's set, whether for music or movies:

Fours: 60 Hz
Threes: 80Hz
Three C: 90 Hz
Twos: 90 Hz
AZ's: 100 Hz

Yes, they all can play lower and an 80Hz across the board would be fine (in fact, when running room correction the AVR sets the Fours and Threes to Full Range, the Three C to 40 Hz, and the others at 80 Hz). I prefer to raise them all and let the subs handle the bass which they are designed for. Then you can really crank up the sound an not strain the speakers or your AVR's amps.

Having said that, the Threes do sound pretty good by themselves full range for a lot of music (all but those with a heavy bass track).
You da man! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
They should be set to small not large. Set them to small and x-over to 80Hz. The x-over will not be applied if they are set to Large.
Yes, I meant "small" not "large." It was a slip on my part. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page