New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 373 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #11161 of 11180 Old 03-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 35
^^^ Lol, I think you may of found me out.

I know the UPA-200 isn't ALL that powerful but didn't know if my receiver could handle 7 speakers at once. In my head I was thinking that it would allow my receiver to power the 5 speakers (like it has been doing), maybe I'm over-thinking this whole thing

I'm negotiating the price with him right now. At what price would you guys say it's a good deal and to go for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11163 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it.
Agreed, don't pay more than $200.

Keep in mind that Emotiva amps have a higher gain structure (higher output for the amount of input) so you'll have to re-run Audyssey with in in your system before making comparison or it'll 'seem' louder for a given volume level. Once you re-run Audyssey, the level's will be the same at each volume level as it was before adding the amp in (and if you remove the amp, you will again have to re-run Audyssey - unless you record the trim levels and adjust them manually - pretty easy to do). There won't be a difference in the frequency/time-domain correction or distances as those are not affected by adding in an amp.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11164 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I have the TwoC and it pairs nicely with the Three's. If you can afford the ThreeC then go for it... but I think the only real difference is the driver size (which will produce slightly more output). As far as the Threes go... I am more than happy with them. I watched "3 Days to Kill" last night and was absolutely blown away at the output (low end) of the Three's! I have no sub's yet (V1500's will be here tomorrow) and I have the front Three's set to Large whilst the rest of the bunch are set to small with XO at 80Hz. The Three's surprisingly filled the room (which is approx 4300 cubic feet).

I have the Classic Two's to the rear of me cieling mounted... It would be very nice to have those replaced with the Three's... Also, if my space for the center could accommodate the ThreeC I would likely have bought it as well. Unfortunately my entertainment center is just big enough for the TwoC.
Thanks for the reply. I think that confirms My reasoning and I will pull the trigger on the Three's, which is at the top of my list of speakers I'm debating. In the long run it will be the right decision. Enjoy those new PSA subs, can't wait to hear what you think of them!
post #11165 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think that confirms My reasoning and I will pull the trigger on the Three's, which is at the top of my list of speakers I'm debating. In the long run it will be the right decision. Enjoy those new PSA subs, can't wait to hear what you think of them!
I'm stoked... waiting for Fedex right now to deliver!

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #11166 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Apologies if this has been posted/discussed previously, but I wasn't able to locate it in the thread (posts int he thread seemed to slow to a trickle a few months after it was published for whatever reason):
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...absolute-tower

Curious as to whether anyone experimented with any mods to their ATs to correct the "issue" that the reviewer attributes to the chamfering around the tweeters? That's far beyond my level of understanding/expertise, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but it did pique my curiosity, given the nature of folks in this hobby to try to wring every ounce of goodness they can from their ssystem.

Having now lived with the ATs for several months (and having purchased them with out hearing them first), my impressions were similar in several respects to those of this reviewer, in that I had hoped (wished?) for better imaging and soundstage, that they were brighter (though not overly so) than the PSBs and B&Ws I grew up listening to, but that the overall sound quality was excellent and without any real flaws/weaknesses, they are very well made, and an excellent value, particularly if they can be had on sale.

Just wondering if folks in the thread had any impressions or disagreements with the opinions/measurements in the Audioholics review.
post #11167 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm stoked... waiting for Fedex right now to deliver!
Should sound awesome!!!

Ray

post #11168 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Apologies if this has been posted/discussed previously, but I wasn't able to locate it in the thread (posts int he thread seemed to slow to a trickle a few months after it was published for whatever reason):
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...absolute-tower

Curious as to whether anyone experimented with any mods to their ATs to correct the "issue" that the reviewer attributes to the chamfering around the tweeters? That's far beyond my level of understanding/expertise, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but it did pique my curiosity, given the nature of folks in this hobby to try to wring every ounce of goodness they can from their ssystem.

Having now lived with the ATs for several months (and having purchased them with out hearing them first), my impressions were similar in several respects to those of this reviewer, in that I had hoped (wished?) for better imaging and soundstage, that they were brighter (though not overly so) than the PSBs and B&Ws I grew up listening to, but that the overall sound quality was excellent and without any real flaws/weaknesses, they are very well made, and an excellent value, particularly if they can be had on sale.

Just wondering if folks in the thread had any impressions or disagreements with the opinions/measurements in the Audioholics review.
The only real issue would be if your room is too bright (lots of reflective surfaces). This would be true of a lot of speakers that produce a flat frequency response in the upper ranges. Room correction software such as Audyssey, should tame the upper region fairly well. I've heard the newer PSB's next to the NHT's and they sound fairly similar in the treble. How do you have your room set up with them? Towing them in a little can help if you have reflective walls to the sides.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Ray

post #11169 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
The only real issue would be if your room is too bright (lots of reflective surfaces). This would be true of a lot of speakers that produce a flat frequency response in the upper ranges. Room correction software such as Audyssey, should tame the upper region fairly well. I've heard the newer PSB's next to the NHT's and they sound fairly similar in the treble. How do you have your room set up with them? Towing them in a little can help if you have reflective walls to the sides.
I've run Audyssey, and in 2 channel, I don't notice a ton of difference in the way they sound between stereo and pure direct mode, so I guess that indicates Audysssey isn't doing anything really drastic, at least to those channels.

I've described my room in previous posts, but while the room is oddly shaped and open to other areas of the house, there is a recliner, a large rug, a couch, curtains, etc to help with refections, so I'm likely not experiencing reflections too terribly off of anything except the coffee table (I know....).

The speakers are towed in slightly and are not very close to the side walls, so that probably helps as well.

Most of my PSB comparisons come from my nearly 20 year old Century 300i book shelf speakers and some listening I did in the early 2000s, so I've not heard any newer PSBs made in the last decade.
post #11170 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
I've run Audyssey, and in 2 channel, I don't notice a ton of difference in the way they sound between stereo and pure direct mode, so I guess that indicates Audysssey isn't doing anything really drastic, at least to those channels.

I've described my room in previous posts, but while the room is oddly shaped and open to other areas of the house, there is a recliner, a large rug, a couch, curtains, etc to help with refections, so I'm likely not experiencing reflections too terribly off of anything except the coffee table (I know....).

The speakers are towed in slightly and are not very close to the side walls, so that probably helps as well.

Most of my PSB comparisons come from my nearly 20 year old Century 300i book shelf speakers and some listening I did in the early 2000s, so I've not heard any newer PSBs made in the last decade.
Try pulling the coffee table out and listening, just to see how it's effecting the sound. With a smaller tower like the ATs, the tweeter is closer to the table surface.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11171 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Try pulling the coffee table out and listening, just to see how it's effecting the sound. With a smaller tower like the ATs, the tweeter is closer to the table surface.
Yeah, it sounds somewhat better in pure direct without the table, but even moving it aside a bit is battle that's been fought and lost, unfortunately.

Talking about an addition that would yield a larger but closed room that I could put some treatments in and that would not include a table, so maybe by fall my system will have a new home, but I will have to live with it until then.
post #11172 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be the best - having a dedicated closed room that is acoustically treated.

Ray

post #11173 of 11180 Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

So $200 for a UPA-200? What about a XPA-200? One of those just popped up on CL.
post #11174 of 11180 Old 03-25-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
So $200 for a UPA-200? What about a XPA-200? One of those just popped up on CL.
That would be a better buy in my opinion, maybe $300 depending on how old it is and if there is any warranty left.

post #11175 of 11180 Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Randall,

The XPA-200 would be more noticeable, that would give you the 3db increase (if your system needs it - if you're within the power range of your AVR, you won't notice the difference). I have the XPA3 power my fronts (L/R/C) and cannot tell the difference at normal listening levels. If I really crank the system, then yes, I can tell because I'm using more power than my AVR can supply. But I wouldn't listen at those levels often (only just to try out). I appreciate my hearing and don't want to listen to things at ear bleeding levels. As Transmaniacon stated, if a good price, go for it. I'll at least quench your thirst on trying out an outboard amp at an affordable price.

Ray

post #11176 of 11180 Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. So I'll just rely on Audyssey to calibrate everything? I was just worried that sending that much power to the L/R channels would over power the center channel. It's not that I can't afford the XPA-3, I'm just always looking for the best deal and buying quality products at the same time.
post #11177 of 11180 Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That would be a better buy in my opinion, maybe $300 depending on how old it is and if there is any warranty left.

I think he said there was 3 years and some change, close to 4 years remaining on the warranty. Has all the paperwork to verify this. We just started talking and he's about 3+ hours away, could be 5 or more depending on traffic.
post #11178 of 11180 Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey will re-set all the levels so you won't even notice the amp being there. Once rerun, your volume levels will be the same as before. The trim levels will be a little different.
Randall.White likes this.

Last edited by cavchameleon; 03-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.
post #11179 of 11180 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Offer submitted
post #11180 of 11180 Old Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member