New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 374 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
post #11191 of 11219 Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
So I got told that there may be a "Spring Sale" coming up soon and I should wait to purchase anything.
Oh wow was that from the eBay seller?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11192 of 11219 Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm shopping around with a few places. I'm shocked how many PM's I'm receiving about selling my Three's.

I keep going back and forth on if I should sell them and get something smaller. My only fear is I'll regret it and I really don't want to spend that much money again on them. If only someone local to me had some Two's or AZ so I could compare them firsthand.
post #11193 of 11219 Old 04-01-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
So I got told that there may be a "Spring Sale" coming up soon and I should wait to purchase anything.
Great, let's make a new pair of Absolute Zeros even more tempting!

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11194 of 11219 Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I'm shopping around with a few places. I'm shocked how many PM's I'm receiving about selling my Three's.

I keep going back and forth on if I should sell them and get something smaller. My only fear is I'll regret it and I really don't want to spend that much money again on them. If only someone local to me had some Two's or AZ so I could compare them firsthand.
Randall,

I hate to disappoint, but there really is no comparison. The Threes/Fours are really in a different league than all the other Classics. I have all of them in my home at the moment (except for the AT's which I did have and are now at a friends house - she did not want the depth of the Fours but still wanted towers even though she loved the sound of the Fours much better).
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11195 of 11219 Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude I would totally trade you! I have (2) Classic Two's that I replaced with the Three's. I would love to have Three's to my rear and have a system with only Three's.

You are in AZ?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #11196 of 11219 Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Dude I would totally trade you! I have (2) Classic Two's that I replaced with the Three's. I would love to have Three's to my rear and have a system with only Three's.

You are in AZ?
If I decide to trade or sell for sure, I'll let you know. I'm in Washington.
post #11197 of 11219 Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Great, let's make a new pair of Absolute Zeros even more tempting!
I'll be sure to share details if a good deal comes my way. Maybe if I can get a big enough order together he'll offer something for us? It's worth a shot
post #11198 of 11219 Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Hope I don't get in trouble for this?

The dealer replied to me and asked how many people are interested and what they were interested in. He will contact NHT and see what kind of price he can get for us. Everyone would pay through PayPal and they would ship direct from NHT.
Barneyb and jhughy2010 like this.
post #11199 of 11219 Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hope I don't get in trouble for this?

The dealer replied to me and asked how many people are interested and what they were interested in. He will contact NHT and see what kind of price he can get for us. Everyone would pay through PayPal and they would ship direct from NHT.
That's great... If I could afford the Four's I would totally jump on board.

Actually, if anyone is looking for a pair of Classic Two's I am in the Northern CA area.
Barneyb likes this.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #11200 of 11219 Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's great... If I could afford the Four's I would totally jump on board.

Actually, if anyone is looking for a pair of Classic Two's I am in the Northern CA area.
Are you serious about the Four's? PM if you are, and what price range you were hoping for.

Anyone else interested?? So far only have 1 PM with a serious buyer. Was hoping for a few more at least.
post #11201 of 11219 Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you serious about the Four's? PM if you are, and what price range you were hoping for.

Anyone else interested?? So far only have 1 PM with a serious buyer. Was hoping for a few more at least.
I would love to but cannot pull it off right now. Too many other expenses taking precedent over my poor hobbies

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #11202 of 11219 Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would love to but cannot pull it off right now. Too many other expenses taking precedent over my poor hobbies
I gotcha, I just may have to jump on it. Actually have a few bucks to spend on stuff but just don't know what to buy or if I should look to upgrade another part of my system.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #11203 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the same boat Randall, we're planning on moving to a different home this year and so not a good time to make any AV purchases.
Thanks though!

Ray

post #11204 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
I'm in the same boat Randall, we're planning on moving to a different home this year and so not a good time to make any AV purchases.
Thanks though!
I just went to the bank about getting a loan to fix my house up OR buy a newer home.... Trying to see what will work best for now and the future. Kinda mad I didn't ask my neighbor about his house. I just saw he accepted a price of 50k lower than his asking price!

Like I've said before I live in a very small town. I live in the one well known area and only thing I can get with moving is a view. BUT with all this recent rain we've had we've had a few hillslides, SO not sure if I want a view all that bad lol.
post #11205 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just went to the bank about getting a loan to fix my house up OR buy a newer home.... Trying to see what will work best for now and the future. Kinda mad I didn't ask my neighbor about his house. I just saw he accepted a price of 50k lower than his asking price!

Like I've said before I live in a very small town. I live in the one well known area and only thing I can get with moving is a view. BUT with all this recent rain we've had we've had a few hillslides, SO not sure if I want a view all that bad lol.
WOW, where do you live? My brother lives in San Diego and they had a problem with massive hill-slides with lots of rain (which had followed fire, so the foliage that held the ground together was toast). Many million dollar homes were gone in a short time (all that had incredible views of course - on the edge of plateaus).

We just need a bigger home. It was great for my wife and I, but never knew how much room kids can take...

Ray

post #11206 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

My place was built in the late 60's but has been upgraded over the years. The last owner did his touches and now I want to change/upgrade multiple things (floors, lighting, roof, etc..) I already re-did the kitchen last year, but now it seems out of place because it's my taste and the rest of the house is the old owners. It's plenty big enough, way too big for the wife and I right now but with the addition coming soon. We still will have 2 spare bedrooms.

Western Washington, it's about an hour from Olympia and 20 minutes from the Ocean. No million dollar homes here, it's an old logging town, just a relaxed place to live. You can get anywhere in town in under 10 minutes and there is NO TRAFFIC.

We had 7 inches of rain in one night mixed with high tide and all of town flooded. Caused 3 major hillslides, one blocking the only road in/out of town. That took 24 hours to clear up.
post #11207 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My place was built in the late 60's but has been upgraded over the years. The last owner did his touches and now I want to change/upgrade multiple things (floors, lighting, roof, etc..) I already re-did the kitchen last year, but now it seems out of place because it's my taste and the rest of the house is the old owners. It's plenty big enough, way too big for the wife and I right now but with the addition coming soon. We still will have 2 spare bedrooms.

Western Washington, it's about an hour from Olympia and 20 minutes from the Ocean. No million dollar homes here, it's an old logging town, just a relaxed place to live. You can get anywhere in town in under 10 minutes and there is NO TRAFFIC.

We had 7 inches of rain in one night mixed with high tide and all of town flooded. Caused 3 major hillslides, one blocking the only road in/out of town. That took 24 hours to clear up.
Send some of that rain down south to CA!

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #11208 of 11219 Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know, you guys really need it. Just had a family friend come back from down there and he said it's really bad. He said rivers were basically dried up and that this summer you guys will be really hurting.
post #11209 of 11219 Old 04-14-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I just saw the news this morning that CA is already planning water restrictions. S CA is still a beautiful area!

Ray

post #11210 of 11219 Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of my brothers just move up to Portland last year, loves it up there (very green).

We live in the high desert of New Mexico, so do have water issues like other places. But, we rarely have any major weather issues (no tornadoes - very small if any, no earthquakes, of floods). Some days in the winter we can have several feet of snow and by late noon you can literally be in shorts.

That's awesome you don't have to deal with traffic. It's become a problem here, too many drivers and not enough infrastructure. Public transportation is not great so everyone drives and does not car pool for the most part.

Ray

post #11211 of 11219 Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

I grew up in Eugene area. I love the Northwest. Only complaint is we only really have one season here rain... But it makes you appreciate the summer time. Since we are close to the ocean its foggy but you learn to deal with it. Drive about 15 mins east and it's all burnt off. When we do get snow people freak out and town is dead, no one knows how to drive in it.

There is roughly 30,000 people in this area. We only have traffic problems for clam digs, people from ALL OVER Washington come to our beaches to dig clams. Seriously, people will travel from Eastern WA just to come dig a limit (15). Then in the summer we have "Harley Weekend" and thousand or more bikers ride into town and cause all sorts of noise. Other than that and you can get anywhere in less than 10 mins. The wife and I will get away and go to the city (Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle) for a day and that's enough for us. We hit stop and go traffic and we both are ready to come home.

Back to audio related topics,

Any of you guys own a Oppo 103 or 103d? Opinions on if the "D" is worth the extra cash? Will it improve the sound quality if I run separate cables for audio and a HDMI cable?

and if anyone is interested that dealer is making up invoices for those that have PM'd me. Four's in my future!
post #11212 of 11219 Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I grew up in Eugene area. I love the Northwest. Only complaint is we only really have one season here rain... But it makes you appreciate the summer time. Since we are close to the ocean its foggy but you learn to deal with it. Drive about 15 mins east and it's all burnt off. When we do get snow people freak out and town is dead, no one knows how to drive in it.

There is roughly 30,000 people in this area. We only have traffic problems for clam digs, people from ALL OVER Washington come to our beaches to dig clams. Seriously, people will travel from Eastern WA just to come dig a limit (15). Then in the summer we have "Harley Weekend" and thousand or more bikers ride into town and cause all sorts of noise. Other than that and you can get anywhere in less than 10 mins. The wife and I will get away and go to the city (Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle) for a day and that's enough for us. We hit stop and go traffic and we both are ready to come home.

Back to audio related topics,

Any of you guys own a Oppo 103 or 103d? Opinions on if the "D" is worth the extra cash? Will it improve the sound quality if I run separate cables for audio and a HDMI cable?

and if anyone is interested that dealer is making up invoices for those that have PM'd me. Four's in my future!
Hi Randall,

I don't have the Darbee edition, it is supposed to enhance the video (more detail) but if you look at a lot of the info in it, there are pros and cons (taking an original signal and adding more processing to it). So it comes down to preference.

Now for the RCA Audio Inputs to your AVR - just so you know, if you go this route you will by-pass all the room correction in your AVR. I've tried both and I much better prefer HDMI and the ability to use all the room correction settings. Yes, you can do some audio setups in the OPPO for audio, but it just won't beat what Audyssey can do IMO plus having much better bass management.
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

post #11213 of 11219 Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

No complaints from the 103 though? Do you use it to stream anything (vudu, netflix etc..)? That's what I'm trying to decide if it's worth it and not sure if LED or Plasma will have a better effect with Darbee? Too bad they don't offer a trial period, to see if you like one better than the other....

I wasn't aware of that! I have listened to some movies without Audessey and it's a big difference. I think I'd just keep it with HDMI then. Was looking at selling my receiver and getting one with XT32 but I've talked with a few guys and they are saying I'll just be wasting my money. I should ditch the receiver all together and go separates. He suggested a XPA-7 and a UMC-200 or a Marantz AVR, if I were to but a new receiver. So many options and not enough hours in the day/week/month to find out exactly what would work best. I only was thinking of upgrading if the newer Audessey would be a "noticeable" difference. Otherwise why fix what isn't broken.
post #11214 of 11219 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No complaints from the 103 though? Do you use it to stream anything (vudu, netflix etc..)? That's what I'm trying to decide if it's worth it and not sure if LED or Plasma will have a better effect with Darbee? Too bad they don't offer a trial period, to see if you like one better than the other....

I wasn't aware of that! I have listened to some movies without Audessey and it's a big difference. I think I'd just keep it with HDMI then. Was looking at selling my receiver and getting one with XT32 but I've talked with a few guys and they are saying I'll just be wasting my money. I should ditch the receiver all together and go separates. He suggested a XPA-7 and a UMC-200 or a Marantz AVR, if I were to but a new receiver. So many options and not enough hours in the day/week/month to find out exactly what would work best. I only was thinking of upgrading if the newer Audessey would be a "noticeable" difference. Otherwise why fix what isn't broken.
There is actually a HUGE difference going to XT32. If you want a separate route, get Marantz Pre/Pro with XT32 and use amplifiers but most likely not needed. I had NAD's top of the line AVR (T785) which costs a LOT and was equivalent to having separates. It had regular XT and the Denon I exchanged it with (A100 - same as the AVR4311) with XT32 was much better, even though the amp section was not as good on paper as the NAD and half the price. You'll have some folks that really say to 'keep the signal pure', the bottom line is that when it comes to acoustics, the room is the biggest challenge and without proper EQ, there is no way to get great sound. Actually the best is room treatments and proper EQ. Run everything direct in your AVR and then compare it with Audyssey on (listen to many different types of instruments). You'll be surprised what you are missing when not EQ'd. Sometimes those that have not used newer room corrections systems are so use to very peaky sounds (lots of peaks and dips in the response to the room) that initially having it flattened will sound bad to them, especially in the bass. But once you listen to a well EQ'd system and then go back, it's hard not to use it (and it's easy to bring the bass up if that is a preference).

Ray

post #11215 of 11219 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgot to mention, even though we have multiple devices to stream, we use a Roku3 in all our rooms. Great little device. BD players are only hooked up for updates. We stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime (music and movies), Pandora, and others. Local channels via OTA, we cut the cable years ago when Comcast kept raising prices.
post #11216 of 11219 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, been a lurker for a looong time and finaly decided to post. I have a couple of questions. I'm considering doing 3 Superones for my fronts. The L/R would be in bookcases. I know these aren't very efficient speakers, is my Denon Avr-1713 going to be enough to push them to a decent level?
Crutchfield's writeup says it outputs 80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms w 2 channels driven. Does that mean outputting to 5 channels it may put out less then 80w per channel?
post #11217 of 11219 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking about just keeping my 3313ci until it dies and then look to upgrade. I think that I'd appreciate the Four's ALOT more than a new receiver. Hoping to get another year or two out of it. Maybe by then there will a new Audyssey. So what I had in my head was OK then, use my receiver to power the surround speakers and buy a amp for the front stage. That guy said I won't get the full benefit from my speakers by using my receiver but honestly do I REALLY need 150/200 watts RMS to my surround speakers? I don't think I do but I've been wrong before.

I add all my movies to Vudu and my wife really likes to just stream them rather then getting up and putting the disc in. I give her a hard time alllllll the time about that. It's a 20' walk round trip lol. Was just wondering if Oppo was smooth or if there was any hiccups, issues etc...

So just run HDMI to my receiver and then run my amp off of the receiver as well, don't use the audio outputs on the 103? I'm hoping to get all this ordered by the end of the month. I'm really wanting to have a movie night.
post #11218 of 11219 Old Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking about just keeping my 3313ci until it dies and then look to upgrade. I think that I'd appreciate the Four's ALOT more than a new receiver. Hoping to get another year or two out of it. Maybe by then there will a new Audyssey. So what I had in my head was OK then, use my receiver to power the surround speakers and buy a amp for the front stage. That guy said I won't get the full benefit from my speakers by using my receiver but honestly do I REALLY need 150/200 watts RMS to my surround speakers? I don't think I do but I've been wrong before.

I add all my movies to Vudu and my wife really likes to just stream them rather then getting up and putting the disc in. I give her a hard time alllllll the time about that. It's a 20' walk round trip lol. Was just wondering if Oppo was smooth or if there was any hiccups, issues etc...

So just run HDMI to my receiver and then run my amp off of the receiver as well, don't use the audio outputs on the 103? I'm hoping to get all this ordered by the end of the month. I'm really wanting to have a movie night.
Ahh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant an AVR on top of the Fours. Yes, I fully agree, the Fours are the best upgrade. Also, it would be better to wait to get new AVR. DTS:X and DTS:Auro will most likely be included in all AVRs by then. At the moment they are only 'upgrades' for the higher tier AVR's and you have to pay for the DTS:Auro upgrade. My media room is still using the Denon A100 and that was from 2011. Works fine and no upgrades planned until the other formats are sorted out (including 4K and HDMI 2.2).

Yeah, that's funny about streaming, it's easy to become lazy. We mostly stream, but spin disc for newer movies since I want the best audio and video (most sites won't stream loss less audio well).

Agreed on the hookups from your Oppo, just use HDMI. It should stream well also if you need it to, doesn't hurt to try. Most streamers are fully up to the task.

Ray

post #11219 of 11219 Unread Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonj View Post
Hi folks, been a lurker for a looong time and finaly decided to post. I have a couple of questions. I'm considering doing 3 Superones for my fronts. The L/R would be in bookcases. I know these aren't very efficient speakers, is my Denon Avr-1713 going to be enough to push them to a decent level?
General answer: You'll be fine unless you have a large room or listen at levels that cause permanent ear damage.

If you want a more specific answer, you'd need to describe your room, distance to listening position, etc.

And/or use an SPL calculator.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Quote:
Crutchfield's writeup says it outputs 80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms w 2 channels driven. Does that mean outputting to 5 channels it may put out less then 80w per channel?
Yes. But you probably don't need 80 WPC, and it's rare for all channels to be driven equally in a real life home theater situation.

If you're using a sub, it reduces your need for power in your AVR, as it has a separate amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page