New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 375 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 94Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #11221 of 11245 Old 04-19-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Two part question:
1. Will it be worthwhile to upgrade my surrounds from Def Tech Promonitor 800s to NHT Absolute Zeros/Walls?
2. If so, should I get the Zeros over the Walls if I can place/mount them correctly? I haven't seen any apples to apples comparisons of the two similar NHT speaker, but I'm guessing there is some sort of compromise from altering the cabinet shape for the Absolute Wall.

My front consists of a pair of Absolute Towers and a 2C center. I haven't noticed any issues with mismatched sound/timbre form the Def Tech surrounds (though when I mounted them on articulating mounts and raised them above ear height, angling them down toward the MLP, when I reran Audyssey, it set their crossovers at 90 hz instead of 80, maybe from moving the passive radiators away from the wall/boundary?). My attitude has been if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I am a few months from moving my main sound system to a room in an addition that we will be starting shortly, so figured it would be a sensible time to make a change, but even if I can get decent money for the PM800s and find the NHTs on sale, I'm just wondering if I'll hear that couple hundred bucks difference.

Thanks
To be honest, you can probably just keep the system as-is. Yes, there would be a better timbre match if you went with NHT's all the way around, but for movies and Audyssey it probably would be fine leaving alone. As for the 90 Hz XO, just leave it alone. Speaker's freq response are highly affected by room location and that may be the best setting for those speakers mounted.

If you do decide to go with the Absolute Zeros/Walls, I would actually choose the Zeros. The walls have to be 'hung' from a hanger and have no other option since there are not mounting threads installed. The Zero's with mounts can be adjusted (tilt and pan) which the Walls cannot. They sound very similar, but the flexibility for mounting is more important IMO.
DonnyKerabatsos likes this.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11222 of 11245 Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Member
 
DonnyKerabatsos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
To be honest, you can probably just keep the system as-is. Yes, there would be a better timbre match if you went with NHT's all the way around, but for movies and Audyssey it probably would be fine leaving alone. As for the 90 Hz XO, just leave it alone. Speaker's freq response are highly affected by room location and that may be the best setting for those speakers mounted.

If you do decide to go with the Absolute Zeros/Walls, I would actually choose the Zeros. The walls have to be 'hung' from a hanger and have no other option since there are not mounting threads installed. The Zero's with mounts can be adjusted (tilt and pan) which the Walls cannot. They sound very similar, but the flexibility for mounting is more important IMO.
Thanks for confirming what I already expected. Guess I'll use those resources for a sub upgrade...or a cartridge upgrade...or placing speakers on the deck...or....
DonnyKerabatsos is offline  
post #11223 of 11245 Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Thanks for confirming what I already expected. Guess I'll use those resources for a sub upgrade...or a cartridge upgrade...or placing speakers on the deck...or....
Sounds like a lot of fun choices! I'd do what you would plan on using the most. Have fun!

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11224 of 11245 Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
mmsean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
If you want to use the same amp, it's available through Outlaw Audio (the face plate is different, but the amp (inside and rear) are the same as the A1 (NHT did not make their own amp).

http://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Bottom line is that you can use any full range amp (or a dedicated sub amp which is usually Class D, limited to the bass bandwidth and puts out much more power). I'm using an XPA2 to power my W1's. I've even used a pro amp by Behringer (EP4000) that worked fine (and others from Crown, etc. would work fine). The only problem with pro amps is most have a fan that is noisy (which can be replaced with a quiet fan) but pro amps give a lot more power for the money.

You can't go wrong with Outlaw amps though and the one mentioned above is an exact replacement for the A1.
Wish i could take the Outlaw guts out and put it the NHT case.
mmsean is offline  
post #11225 of 11245 Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post
Wish i could take the Outlaw guts out and put it the NHT case.
You could, with some modifications. The layout is the same (internals). The differences are very little on the outside:

Rear: the trigger in/out is different, Outlaw has standard 1/8" mono connectors and the NHT has bare wire connectors (you'd have to re-wire this part on the inside).
The rest of the rear is the same.

Front, Outlaw is flat (won't make a difference on the inside) but has the power light on the left side and NHT's indicator lights (3 of them) are on the right.

Really though, the Outlaw would fit just nicely with your NHT equipment, just won't have the same logo of course.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11226 of 11245 Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My wife bought a new credenza/entertainment center and with the center on top the tweeter is at 38-39". Is that close to the Fours tweeter height?

It's HUGE, almost 6' wide. My wife goes looks like we need a bigger TV, our 64" looks really small now!
Randall.White is offline  
post #11227 of 11245 Old 04-26-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
My wife bought a new credenza/entertainment center and with the center on top the tweeter is at 38-39". Is that close to the Fours tweeter height?

It's HUGE, almost 6' wide. My wife goes looks like we need a bigger TV, our 64" looks really small now!
The Fours tweeter height is at 39". The issue I see is your display will be extremely high for viewing. Not sure if that will be a problem for you. A bigger display is always great!!! We're using a 65" Plasma and would love to have at least an 80" display (or larger).

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11228 of 11245 Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
The Fours tweeter height is at 39". The issue I see is your display will be extremely high for viewing. Not sure if that will be a problem for you. A bigger display is always great!!! We're using a 65" Plasma and would love to have at least an 80" display (or larger).
We sit so far away that our current TV (wall mounted) still has room between the center and the bottom of the speaker. We're looking at 75-80" but haven't found one I HAVE to have yet. Still looking.

You guys recommend any nice TV's in that size? Been looking at UN75H6350 and 7150. I don't use 3D for anything, just want a nice picture. Don't care for "smart" features but seems like all TV's are smart now.
Randall.White is offline  
post #11229 of 11245 Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
We sit so far away that our current TV (wall mounted) still has room between the center and the bottom of the speaker. We're looking at 75-80" but haven't found one I HAVE to have yet. Still looking.

You guys recommend any nice TV's in that size? Been looking at UN75H6350 and 7150. I don't use 3D for anything, just want a nice picture. Don't care for "smart" features but seems like all TV's are smart now.
Between those two, I'd go with the 7150 since is has 240 Hz and the other only 120 Hz refresh rates. That makes a big difference in fast motion movies (SiFi, Action, etc).

But, I'm also just waiting as displays are in flux with 4K and new HDMI upgrades. I'd rather wait a year for the dust to settle first. Same with the AVR. I thought about upgrading and will wait until DTS:X, Auro, and Atmos are standard in just about all of them (which should be by the end of the year or beginning of next year). D&M's offerings should be the end of this year.

The prices of the above displays are not that bad though. I paid more for my 65" Panny than the 7150. It's been our main display for over 6 years now and is still pretty decent.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11230 of 11245 Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm leaning that way. I was only looking at the 6350 cause it was cheaper and didn't have 3D but after reading some reviews on how much better the actual PQ is on the 7150, it's making the $700 difference seem reasonable. I was looking at some 4k TV's but they are too spendy, especially since there isn't much content out for them. Looked at a couple curved sets and I don't think they'd look very good wall mounted.

Honestly I've only owned Samsung TV's except for my first HDTV which was a Panasonic plasma. Currently have 3 Samsung TV's, I've had good luck with them so far. Kinda worried cause I've read about the "panel lottery"

Any other suggestions?
Randall.White is offline  
post #11231 of 11245 Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I'm leaning that way. I was only looking at the 6350 cause it was cheaper and didn't have 3D but after reading some reviews on how much better the actual PQ is on the 7150, it's making the $700 difference seem reasonable. I was looking at some 4k TV's but they are too spendy, especially since there isn't much content out for them. Looked at a couple curved sets and I don't think they'd look very good wall mounted.

Honestly I've only owned Samsung TV's except for my first HDTV which was a Panasonic plasma. Currently have 3 Samsung TV's, I've had good luck with them so far. Kinda worried cause I've read about the "panel lottery"

Any other suggestions?
For the money I don't think you'll do better than the 7150. Samsung does make nice displays. As mentioned, my main one is a Panasonic, but my 3 computer monitors are Samsung, my wife's computer monitor is a Samsung, and our dining room display is also a Samsung. All have been great with not issues.

I'd love to have Panasonic's 85" display, but very pricey as you mentioned. Displays are just getting larger and offerings will come down in price. But for now, the 7150 is really the best for the price IMO. I think it's easily worth the $700 difference over the 6350. It'll irritate you every time you watch if you get the 6350 and the artifacts bug you. Motion blur always bug me.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11232 of 11245 Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
For the money I don't think you'll do better than the 7150. Samsung does make nice displays. As mentioned, my main one is a Panasonic, but my 3 computer monitors are Samsung, my wife's computer monitor is a Samsung, and our dining room display is also a Samsung. All have been great with not issues.

I'd love to have Panasonic's 85" display, but very pricey as you mentioned. Displays are just getting larger and offerings will come down in price. But for now, the 7150 is really the best for the price IMO. I think it's easily worth the $700 difference over the 6350. It'll irritate you every time you watch if you get the 6350 and the artifacts bug you. Motion blur always bug me.
I showed my wife the 105" TV on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN105S...190650&sr=1-21

I mean I could get a 2nd Mortgage lol. Seriously though, from my research I think you are spot on about the 7150. The size and cost with PQ seems to be a winner. OLED is going to be a few years before the size I want is reasonable. I figure in another 4-5 years I'll look to upgrade again.

Have you seen anything with the Darbee or Darblet enhanced picture? I keep going back and forth on this! There is a 103 refurbished for $400 right now and I'm thinking about picking it up, but still can't decide if I want or think I'll like the Darbee version.
Randall.White is offline  
post #11233 of 11245 Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I showed my wife the 105" TV on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN105S...190650&sr=1-21

I mean I could get a 2nd Mortgage lol. Seriously though, from my research I think you are spot on about the 7150. The size and cost with PQ seems to be a winner. OLED is going to be a few years before the size I want is reasonable. I figure in another 4-5 years I'll look to upgrade again.

Have you seen anything with the Darbee or Darblet enhanced picture? I keep going back and forth on this! There is a 103 refurbished for $400 right now and I'm thinking about picking it up, but still can't decide if I want or think I'll like the Darbee version.
Yea, that would be an awesome 105" display!!! More expensive than a lot of cars...

Anyway the 7150 is a great choice!

As for Darbee, it can enhance the picture, but sometimes the enhancement adds artifacts. It is processing the video more and for the most part folks like the affect. It can enhance detail pretty well. When I get a new Oppo, I think I'll opt for the 'D' version. You can always turn it off when watching something. It's $100 more, so has to be worth it to you. If you're getting a new display, it may be the way to go to get the best out of it!

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11234 of 11245 Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Lol, in my town the average home price is around 80k!!

I asked on the 103D thread and they said the larger the screen the more noticeable it'll be. I was told anything 50" or bigger it makes a difference. So with that big of a TV it should look nice. Which Oppo do you have?
Randall.White is offline  
post #11235 of 11245 Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Lol, in my town the average home price is around 80k!!

I asked on the 103D thread and they said the larger the screen the more noticeable it'll be. I was told anything 50" or bigger it makes a difference. So with that big of a TV it should look nice. Which Oppo do you have?
That's amazing you can get such a large house for such a good price. My neighborhood has houses that range from 180K to 240k and are all under 2000SF (and they are not really that nice, track homes built in the 70's). You only have to cross over one main street to the east of us and the houses there are large, but start at over half a million and then go up. Wish it were the same case here as you have. My wife comes from a small town in Nebraska and mentioned the same thing, you can get 3 times the house for the price of our little one for the same price.

Oppo 83 and 103 (not the D). When I upgrade to a new display, I'll most likely (pretty much 100%) go with the Darbee edition. All of our other BD players are Panasonic (not expensive ones either) and do very well. I just love the build quality of Oppo and their customer service is top notch. My 83 had a problem with the loader which really just needed a belt replacement. I gave them a call and asked if they would sell me a belt and they just set me one with a new loader cover for fee (they would also have just done if for free if I shipped it to them - but it's very easy to replace).

One thing about smaller displays (under 32"), up-scaled DVD looks almost as good as Blu-ray. But, it's not even worth buying DVD's as the costs of a Blu-ray + DVD is about the same (and you usually get the UV version at the same time).

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11236 of 11245 Old 04-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Oh, I think I didn't word that correctly. MY neighborhood where I live is 200-600k area but the majority of houses in my town are under 100k, most are in the 80k range. The catch is all of the cheaper ones are in a "flood zone" so they have to pay more insurance monthly. The houses that are close by range from being built in the 1920's to brand new. My house was built in the 60's but remodeled by the previous owner.

I saved some cash finding a used amp with more than 4 years remaining on the warranty. So I think I'll spend the extra $100 on the Darbee. Worst case scenario, I don't like it and I just turn it off. From what I've seen and read Oppo have a very high resale value.
Randall.White is offline  
post #11237 of 11245 Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Cool, let me know what you think when you have the Darbee. I'm curious also. Yes, Oppo does have a high resale value. They're one of the few BD players left that are built like tanks. There are some more pricey ones out there, but they can't beat the Oppo in ability to play audio or video. And, they are true 'universal' players able to play SACD and DVD Audio which is why I purchased it in the first place (most others that can do that are well over $1000 and up when I originally purchased the 83 for $400. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. I can say the same for my NHT's - have had the Classic series since their introduction.

Makes a lot more sense on your housing costs. A house like your's here would easily be over a half-mil. Have to say though, it's worth being in an area that does not have issues with flooding - good decision on your part!
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11238 of 11245 Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You said you had Panasonic players also? That was the first Blu Ray player I ever bought (probably 8 years ago?) it just died on me. We have been using my PS3 and the wife hates it. Said it makes her feel like a kid using a controller to play a movie.

Accepted an offer on some Fours, was holding off but with the delay in my subwoofer (now mid-May, was suppose to be here by now) I'm thinking I'll be ordering quite a bit with my next paycheck.
Randall.White is offline  
post #11239 of 11245 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
You said you had Panasonic players also? That was the first Blu Ray player I ever bought (probably 8 years ago?) it just died on me. We have been using my PS3 and the wife hates it. Said it makes her feel like a kid using a controller to play a movie.

Accepted an offer on some Fours, was holding off but with the delay in my subwoofer (now mid-May, was suppose to be here by now) I'm thinking I'll be ordering quite a bit with my next paycheck.
Awesome! Chime in when you get the Fours installed! You may be getting all your fun toys at once - Fours and sub.

You may want to pick up another cheap BD player instead of the PS3. They are plentiful now, from Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. Many over $100 and are pretty good. We currently have 4 Panasonic BD players in our home, all working great. All but one was under $100. They're not built like Oppos (neither are the other brands unless you get their elite versions which cost as much or more than Oppos).

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11240 of 11245 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,346
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Awesome! Chime in when you get the Fours installed! You may be getting all your fun toys at once - Fours and sub.

You may want to pick up another cheap BD player instead of the PS3. They are plentiful now, from Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. Many over $100 and are pretty good. We currently have 4 Panasonic BD players in our home, all working great. All but one was under $100. They're not built like Oppos (neither are the other brands unless you get their elite versions which cost as much or more than Oppos).
Keep an eye out at Best Buy for their open box items as well, I got a Denon DBP-1612 BD/DVDA/SACD player for like $120.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #11241 of 11245 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Keep an eye out at Best Buy for their open box items as well, I got a Denon DBP-1612 BD/DVDA/SACD player for like $120.
That's a great price for that player! Has Denon been good about keeping updates for their BD players?

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11242 of 11245 Old Today, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Randall.White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 44
@Cav , Oppo just sent me an email. Said they'll have some refurbished 103D players coming up soon.

I haven't bought speakers in awhile, I can't remember if they require a signature upon delivery? Wondering if I need to change my shipping address.
Randall.White is offline  
post #11243 of 11245 Old Today, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,346
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
That's a great price for that player! Has Denon been good about keeping updates for their BD players?
I think I downloaded a couple firmware updates in the time I have had it, (1.5-2 years?). The only caveat is it's a little slow to start up a movie, maybe need to wait 7-10 seconds, but the picture is fantastic and it works great. I mainly just wanted it for the various media compatibility, can't see myself ever getting something new unless this one dies.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #11244 of 11245 Unread Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
@Cav , Oppo just sent me an email. Said they'll have some refurbished 103D players coming up soon.

I haven't bought speakers in awhile, I can't remember if they require a signature upon delivery? Wondering if I need to change my shipping address.
Interesting! Ping me when you get the news.

I can't remember either, I don't recall having to be home. For the most part, both UPS and Fed Ex just leave my packages on our porch (with the exception of camera equipment and smaller electronics).

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
post #11245 of 11245 Unread Today, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
@Cav , Oppo just sent me an email. Said they'll have some refurbished 103D players coming up soon.

I haven't bought speakers in awhile, I can't remember if they require a signature upon delivery? Wondering if I need to change my shipping address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think I downloaded a couple firmware updates in the time I have had it, (1.5-2 years?). The only caveat is it's a little slow to start up a movie, maybe need to wait 7-10 seconds, but the picture is fantastic and it works great. I mainly just wanted it for the various media compatibility, can't see myself ever getting something new unless this one dies.
Thant sounds about right. For the Oppos, there are usually 2 updates a year. For the Panasonics, I usually get 3-4/year. Denon does make some pretty good machines, but they can be costly (like the DBT-3313 is a grand and can't do more than the $500 Oppo). Having said that, my parents actually have one of my older Denon DVD players (from way before blu-ray was out) and they are still using it without issues. If I recall correctly, I purchased it over 15 years ago. So, you may have yours for quite some time barring major changes in the format.

Ray

 

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

 

cavchameleon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off