New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 375 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #11221 of 11226 Old 04-19-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Two part question:
1. Will it be worthwhile to upgrade my surrounds from Def Tech Promonitor 800s to NHT Absolute Zeros/Walls?
2. If so, should I get the Zeros over the Walls if I can place/mount them correctly? I haven't seen any apples to apples comparisons of the two similar NHT speaker, but I'm guessing there is some sort of compromise from altering the cabinet shape for the Absolute Wall.

My front consists of a pair of Absolute Towers and a 2C center. I haven't noticed any issues with mismatched sound/timbre form the Def Tech surrounds (though when I mounted them on articulating mounts and raised them above ear height, angling them down toward the MLP, when I reran Audyssey, it set their crossovers at 90 hz instead of 80, maybe from moving the passive radiators away from the wall/boundary?). My attitude has been if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I am a few months from moving my main sound system to a room in an addition that we will be starting shortly, so figured it would be a sensible time to make a change, but even if I can get decent money for the PM800s and find the NHTs on sale, I'm just wondering if I'll hear that couple hundred bucks difference.

Thanks
To be honest, you can probably just keep the system as-is. Yes, there would be a better timbre match if you went with NHT's all the way around, but for movies and Audyssey it probably would be fine leaving alone. As for the 90 Hz XO, just leave it alone. Speaker's freq response are highly affected by room location and that may be the best setting for those speakers mounted.

If you do decide to go with the Absolute Zeros/Walls, I would actually choose the Zeros. The walls have to be 'hung' from a hanger and have no other option since there are not mounting threads installed. The Zero's with mounts can be adjusted (tilt and pan) which the Walls cannot. They sound very similar, but the flexibility for mounting is more important IMO.
DonnyKerabatsos likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11226 Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
To be honest, you can probably just keep the system as-is. Yes, there would be a better timbre match if you went with NHT's all the way around, but for movies and Audyssey it probably would be fine leaving alone. As for the 90 Hz XO, just leave it alone. Speaker's freq response are highly affected by room location and that may be the best setting for those speakers mounted.

If you do decide to go with the Absolute Zeros/Walls, I would actually choose the Zeros. The walls have to be 'hung' from a hanger and have no other option since there are not mounting threads installed. The Zero's with mounts can be adjusted (tilt and pan) which the Walls cannot. They sound very similar, but the flexibility for mounting is more important IMO.
Thanks for confirming what I already expected. Guess I'll use those resources for a sub upgrade...or a cartridge upgrade...or placing speakers on the deck...or....
post #11223 of 11226 Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Thanks for confirming what I already expected. Guess I'll use those resources for a sub upgrade...or a cartridge upgrade...or placing speakers on the deck...or....
Sounds like a lot of fun choices! I'd do what you would plan on using the most. Have fun!

Ray

post #11224 of 11226 Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
If you want to use the same amp, it's available through Outlaw Audio (the face plate is different, but the amp (inside and rear) are the same as the A1 (NHT did not make their own amp).

http://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Bottom line is that you can use any full range amp (or a dedicated sub amp which is usually Class D, limited to the bass bandwidth and puts out much more power). I'm using an XPA2 to power my W1's. I've even used a pro amp by Behringer (EP4000) that worked fine (and others from Crown, etc. would work fine). The only problem with pro amps is most have a fan that is noisy (which can be replaced with a quiet fan) but pro amps give a lot more power for the money.

You can't go wrong with Outlaw amps though and the one mentioned above is an exact replacement for the A1.
Wish i could take the Outlaw guts out and put it the NHT case.
post #11225 of 11226 Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post
Wish i could take the Outlaw guts out and put it the NHT case.
You could, with some modifications. The layout is the same (internals). The differences are very little on the outside:

Rear: the trigger in/out is different, Outlaw has standard 1/8" mono connectors and the NHT has bare wire connectors (you'd have to re-wire this part on the inside).
The rest of the rear is the same.

Front, Outlaw is flat (won't make a difference on the inside) but has the power light on the left side and NHT's indicator lights (3 of them) are on the right.

Really though, the Outlaw would fit just nicely with your NHT equipment, just won't have the same logo of course.

Ray

post #11226 of 11226 Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My wife bought a new credenza/entertainment center and with the center on top the tweeter is at 38-39". Is that close to the Fours tweeter height?

It's HUGE, almost 6' wide. My wife goes looks like we need a bigger TV, our 64" looks really small now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers