New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 182Likes
post #11521 of 11532 Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I showed her the room idea (the picture I posted on here) and her eyse lit up. I think she is really on board now.

Oh she's had her say. When we got together she had a "ricey" Honda Civic, it was falling apart. So I bought her a Audi A4 Ultrasport, got tired of that so I got her a BMW 335D gorgeous car!! Basically a M3 with a diesel.. Still miss it Now she is driving my Tundra, still not sure how that worked out. So since she is a "mom" now she needs a SUV. So a new Jeep Grand Cherokee is in my future.
I had a 2014 Jeep GC for about a year. I really really miss that thing. It drove like a dream! I ended up selling it on CL and getting a 14 Jetta TDI (I commute 100 miles per day). It made more sense economically.

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11532 Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I had a 2014 Jeep GC for about a year. I really really miss that thing. It drove like a dream! I ended up selling it on CL and getting a 14 Jetta TDI (I commute 100 miles per day). It made more sense economically.
That's the year we are going to look at, all options with a Hemi. Our commute is about 5 miles. Perks of small town living Not that I care about the Hemi, but it is nice to drive on the freeway and have some power when you need it. I drove my old Jeep Wrangler with the top off all the way to Spokane (back when I was 22, almost 10 years ago) one weekend. I was in 4th gear just trying to keep up with traffic. So I always have my truck/Jeep etc.. Just stays in town and then her car is the freeway or anything over 55 mph we take it.
post #11523 of 11532 Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
A lot of screens use velvet surrounds. You can just use velvet for your front wall to match (black is best for the screen wall of course). One thing about using fabric, is that you want one that has some stretch to get it tight, but not too stretchy that it will sag over a short amount time. The ones made for stretch walls from companies that specialize in it are made for very long term use with no sagging.

There are a lot of options out there, have your wife help you with them.

As for the vehicle, it's good to have her turn. Mine actually got a new car a little over a month ago (it was time to replace her old one). She ended up with a 2015 Accord Hybrid (the regular one, not the plug in one which costs quite a bit more). Pretty incredible on gas, but looses a lot of trunk space because of the batteries.
Is there a reason they use velvet? She hates it lol

How are your new subs working out? Have you got to watch or demo anything yet?
post #11524 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
I showed her the room idea (the picture I posted on here) and her eyse lit up. I think she is really on board now.

Oh she's had her say. When we got together she had a "ricey" Honda Civic, it was falling apart. So I bought her a Audi A4 Ultrasport, got tired of that so I got her a BMW 335D gorgeous car!! Basically a M3 with a diesel.. Still miss it Now she is driving my Tundra, still not sure how that worked out. So since she is a "mom" now she needs a SUV. So a new Jeep Grand Cherokee is in my future.
Glad she's on board with it, hard not to be since a room like that looks very clean and sharp!

Both my brothers had Jeep GC Limiteds, but now one of them only drives BMW's and the other (the one we recently visited in Portland) only drives a plug in hybrid (now is a Ford, but he's looking at going totally battery with the Tesla).

Looks like your wife has had some fun cars to drive! My wife wanted a mini-van originally, but will now settle for one of us to have a bigger vehicle to haul more things and is looking at the new Pilot which seats as many as a mini-van but not ugly like one (just less cargo room though).:

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/

So, I'll be trading in my car soon for the Pilot. She wanted something with more gas mileage for normal running around and going to her work.
Randall.White likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11525 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
That's a fun little car to drive! Sorry you had to get rid of your GC, they are pretty awesome!

Ray

post #11526 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Is there a reason they use velvet? She hates it lol

How are your new subs working out? Have you got to watch or demo anything yet?
Really not sure why they use velvet, maybe it's more popular. I can't imagine it would scatter light (or absorb) more that other materials. You can also look at ones that have 'Zero Edge' like the Black Diamond from Screen Innovations, but they are costly:

http://www.screeninnovations.com/res...e-residential/

I'm sure many of the other manufactures make something similar. SI makes some pretty amazing screens. We also would't go with velvet, not a preference.

As for the subs, unfortunately they are still sitting looking pretty in the same spot as when I received and unpacked them right before we left for Portland. When we got back, there was just too much to catch up with and I'm still playing catch up. That's the only thing about vacations, seems like I always have to make up for it when I get back from them.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #11527 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Really not sure why they use velvet, maybe it's more popular. I can't imagine it would scatter light (or absorb) more that other materials. You can also look at ones that have 'Zero Edge' like the Black Diamond from Screen Innovations, but they are costly:

http://www.screeninnovations.com/res...e-residential/

I'm sure many of the other manufactures make something similar. SI makes some pretty amazing screens. We also would't go with velvet, not a preference.

As for the subs, unfortunately they are still sitting looking pretty in the same spot as when I received and unpacked them right before we left for Portland. When we got back, there was just too much to catch up with and I'm still playing catch up. That's the only thing about vacations, seems like I always have to make up for it when I get back from them.
I'll have to do some research on which fabric to use. Was told about using spandex today, never thought about using that before.

I'm really curious to see how they sound. Since our rooms are similar in size and I was told to go with multiple smaller subs (still doesn't make sense to me ) My goal is to drag my Echo in there and setup a 5.1 setup and demo a movie this weekend. At least watch a few scenes at least.
post #11528 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 196
To prevent any further hijacking of this thread with my DIY sub talk I started another thread. Check it out guys!

DA ultimax thread

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #11529 of 11532 Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I test drove the 335d two years ago and love, lust after it! So much torque and fun. Last month, my wife traded in our 10 year old 2006 Infiniti M45 for a BMW 550i. Sweet, smooth, luxurious with powerful 400 hp turbo V8. I want the 335d but need keep the electric fiat 500e to make commute bearable in the HOV lane in northern CA.
post #11530 of 11532 Unread Today, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I test drove the 335d two years ago and love, lust after it! So much torque and fun. Last month, my wife traded in our 10 year old 2006 Infiniti M45 for a BMW 550i. Sweet, smooth, luxurious with powerful 400 hp turbo V8. I want the 335d but need keep the electric fiat 500e to make commute bearable in the HOV lane in northern CA.
The first 335d I drove was after it just rained. The salesmans face was like this when I hit the gas. I was all lol. After that we had to find the right color and all the options. Nothing like going 75+ and getting 40mpg.

I've heard those and they sound soooo nice.

I love BMW's until something breaks. It's cheaper to trade it in, if you don't have warranty.

If anyone is interested in ANY of my NHT speakers, please let me know. Going to sell what I can to fund this project and use whatever speakers that don't sell.
post #11531 of 11532 Unread Today, 07:53 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
To prevent any further hijacking of this thread with my DIY sub talk I started another thread. Check it out guys!

DA ultimax thread
Subscribed!!!

Ray

post #11532 of 11532 Unread Today, 07:59 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
I'll have to do some research on which fabric to use. Was told about using spandex today, never thought about using that before.

I'm really curious to see how they sound. Since our rooms are similar in size and I was told to go with multiple smaller subs (still doesn't make sense to me ) My goal is to drag my Echo in there and setup a 5.1 setup and demo a movie this weekend. At least watch a few scenes at least.
Any size room actually benefits from having multiple subs. There are a lot of peaks and valleys created and sub placement is critical, multiple subs helps even that out. Read the Harmon Multi Sub White Paper, it's pretty good. If you're able to, I'd use two subs in that room (identical one if possible). Placing them in small rooms can be tough which is why I put mine at 1/4 and 3/4 spaces behind the seating area which gave the best response (corners created too many peaks in my room and sounded bloated). You'll have to experiment. If yours sounds good with just one sub in your listening position, then you're good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf multsubs.pdf (814.9 KB, 0 views)

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page