New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 200Likes

post #11641 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Bob,

I totally agree with Jhughy! NHT subs are decent for music, but quite underwhelming for movies. I love NHT speakers (have them in 4 of our rooms). But they need to beef up their subs. As Jhughy states, the S1500 or the 15S would fit the bill. I prefer the S1500 mostly for looks and you can choose a veneered option, the finish is awesome!. The 15S sounds the same, but only comes with the textured option and is down firing (great if you have kids or animals). Also as indicated, the customer service of PSA is incredible, they are helpful even if not selling you anything. To be fair, I've had excellent customer service from NHT also and you can talk to Chris from NHT just as easily as talking to Tom from PSA. Both excellent companies.

Hopefully someday NHT will build a sub that can match the S1500 (or even the S3000I). Their speakers though, for the price, are hard to beat (and like you I prefer the sealed design).
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thanks guys for the input. I need to replace an ACI Titian which has finally failed after many years. The Titian actually has less output then the B12 but I generally listen at low levels. In my case I am looking for the best sounding Sub of the two but perhaps the 15s will be just as articulate as the B12 and give me some extra output should I ever need it. B0b
post #11643 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post
thanks guys for the input. I need to replace an ACI Titian which has finally failed after many years. The Titian actually has less output then the B12 but I generally listen at low levels. In my case I am looking for the best sounding Sub of the two but perhaps the 15s will be just as articulate as the B12 and give me some extra output should I ever need it. B0b
Wow, ACI. That brings back memories. I had one of their first subs back in the late 80's. They only had passive XO's at the time and were in kit form (very easy to assemble). It was my first 'real' sub at the time.

Anyway, the B12 is not a bad sub, great for music. It just won't have the output and extension of the 15S from PSA. That thing hits very hard and low. As far as being articulate, PSA subs are very articulate! I worried about the S3000i because of the size, but it's extremely articulate, detailed, quick, and hit's very low and hard at the same time. They are phenomenal subs! I still have a pair of W1's, each with their own X1 XO that has been modified with the 20 Hz Mod (did it myself, very easy as only several resistors and capacitors had to be swapped out). They were pretty good and detailed subs, but I have no regret changing them out with PSA. I'm a 'music' person first and then movies which is why I've always preferred sealed subs and speakers (they just sound better to me with music). PSA delivers in the sub department for both.

Ray

post #11644 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Wow, ACI. That brings back memories. I had one of their first subs back in the late 80's. They only had passive XO's at the time and were in kit form (very easy to assemble). It was my first 'real' sub at the time.

Anyway, the B12 is not a bad sub, great for music. It just won't have the output and extension of the 15S from PSA. That thing hits very hard and low. As far as being articulate, PSA subs are very articulate! I worried about the S3000i because of the size, but it's extremely articulate, detailed, quick, and hit's very low and hard at the same time. They are phenomenal subs! I still have a pair of W1's, each with their own X1 XO that has been modified with the 20 Hz Mod (did it myself, very easy as only several resistors and capacitors had to be swapped out). They were pretty good and detailed subs, but I have no regret changing them out with PSA. I'm a 'music' person first and then movies which is why I've always preferred sealed subs and speakers (they just sound better to me with music). PSA delivers in the sub department for both.
Good to hear, I am also interested in the finish on the 15S, do you have a good pic of yours? Another option I have been kicking around is building a sub, perhaps a Rythmic Kit.
post #11645 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post
Good to hear, I am also interested in the finish on the 15S, do you have a good pic of yours? Another option I have been kicking around is building a sub, perhaps a Rythmic Kit.
The kit or DIY is always a great bang-for-the-buck way to go. Jhughy has his own thread (and there are many here on AVS for DIY subs). Here is his:

Dayton Audio 15" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet Bundle build

I attached a close-up pic of the PSA 15S finish. Pictures of the whole sub are well done on the PSA site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00210.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	1182850  
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ray

post #11646 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I wonder why NHT hasn't rolled out any new speakers.
post #11647 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
I wonder why NHT hasn't rolled out any new speakers.
They will be, C Series to replace the Classics and the Media Series (lower priced). Should be by Spring hopefully.

Ray

post #11648 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice.. I wonder what they will look and sound like. About time!
post #11649 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Nice.. I wonder what they will look and sound like. About time!
Just go to www.nhthifi.com, click on speakers then choose series. Pics and specs are there. C Series should be similar sounding to Classics based on specs and drivers.

Ray

post #11650 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the Martin Logan Motion 12 with the slant in the back. Looks like a bigger Classic 3.
post #11651 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Looks like the Martin Logan Motion 12 with the slant in the back. Looks like a bigger Classic 3.
The ML Motion 12 actually has a gentle slope all the way to the base of the speaker and the C4's have a sharp angle just past the midrange then goes straight down. So quite different. The front baffle just looks more 'industrial' and more like the AT's then the Fours.

The new C3 looks like an industrial version of the Classic 3, same size, specs, drivers (but supposedly an upgraded XO). The Classic 3 is actually deeper, other dimensions are the same. I'd like to compare the two when they become available.

I wish the C4's kept all metal drivers like the Classic 4, they are impressive. The C3 did keep them.

Ray

post #11652 of 11659 Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the base of them. But there is nothing special about them. Nothing that stands out. Its not like they even really tried..
post #11653 of 11659 Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
I like the base of them. But there is nothing special about them. Nothing that stands out. Its not like they even really tried..
I have to agree that the looks are not unique or eye-catching. When the Classics came out, they were like "Wow" for styling. My wife liked the looks a lot. I like the curves, even the base is curved with the metal rails for stability (except for the Fours). I didn't like the base of the Fours though, since they were made out of resin but the did look fine. I actually replace mine with outriggers from Soundcity:

http://www.soundocity.com/

They are MUCH easier to adjust (just turn the knobs from the top, no bending down on elbows and knees with a wrench - actually two, one for the spike and one for the lock nut). I think all towers should use the design like the ones from soundocity (many of the more expensive speakers out there do use a similar design). Even speaker stands for bookshelves should use them.

These are the fours with the outriggers (not mine, I got the pic from their site).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NHT Classic 4 Outrigger.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1183754  

Ray

post #11654 of 11659 Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To Our Valued NHT Insiders:
After 29 years of guiding a great company, it’s time for me to retire. I am stepping aside with confidence in NHT’s future. I’ll be watching the progress and will still be an advisor as necessary. It has been a wonderful ride, accompanied along the way with some of the finest people I know. The brand has a great reputation and there are lots of new products arriving soon, so stay tuned. We’ll be making some personnel announcements shortly that round out our new organization.

To all of you that have appreciated and supported what we have done over the years, you have my heartfelt gratitude.
My very warm regards and wishes for a prosperous and healthy year,
Chris Byrne, Co Founder
post #11655 of 11659 Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post
To Our Valued NHT Insiders:
After 29 years of guiding a great company, it’s time for me to retire. I am stepping aside with confidence in NHT’s future. I’ll be watching the progress and will still be an advisor as necessary. It has been a wonderful ride, accompanied along the way with some of the finest people I know. The brand has a great reputation and there are lots of new products arriving soon, so stay tuned. We’ll be making some personnel announcements shortly that round out our new organization.

To all of you that have appreciated and supported what we have done over the years, you have my heartfelt gratitude.
My very warm regards and wishes for a prosperous and healthy year,
Chris Byrne, Co Founder
Yep, saw that in an email from Chris. Wish him the best!

Ray

post #11656 of 11659 Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it a coincidence that as soon as NHT releases it's Media Series with b.s upfiring drivers (for Atmos) that Co-founder Chris Byrne retires?
post #11657 of 11659 Old 01-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoth View Post
Is it a coincidence that as soon as NHT releases it's Media Series with b.s upfiring drivers (for Atmos) that Co-founder Chris Byrne retires?
Can't speculate, maybe just a good time for Chris to move onto other ventures. He'll still be involved with NHT from his email. I do miss Jack Hidley when he was with NHT and on these forums. He really gave the important details for their products.

Ray

post #11658 of 11659 Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 256
It's too bad that he is moving on. It reminds me a bit of Andrew Jones moving away from Pioneer. With that said, I've been keeping an eye on what he is doing over at ELAC. I've actually added their B6 to my short list of bookshelf speakers to try. I'm really inclined to pull the trigger as the price is right!
post #11659 of 11659 Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoth View Post

Probably, yes.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page