New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 204Likes
post #11671 of 11683 Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Yeah, that is strange. In the past, I'd always get a quick email from Chris Byrne (and even talked to him several times). Hopefully customer service did not leave the company with them.

I'd like to hear NHT's new speakers, but do not feel there would be any 'upgrade' to the Classic series that I currently own. The prices look equivalent to the Classic series.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 11683 Old 05-07-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I've just pulled out a pair of NHT Super Ones from the box they have been stored in while I was overseas. They are gloss White and I bought them in the 90's, sometime. Pristine condition Ser # AS1-008111 and AS1-008150. Anyone have an idea what these are worth? I was really surprised how much my AR=3a's were worth. Looking at Amazon, they list them as discontinued and selling a used black pair for $488. Seems high to me, but I see lots of 2.1, but no originals.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, Temporary Sony HW-30ES, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
post #11673 of 11683 Unread 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
In March I purchased (3) M7's for my LCR, and then C1's for my surrounds. It has been almost three months that I have owned the speakers, and wanted to provide a brief report out for those that are searching either speaker.

I have read many reviews from others on the pro's and con's of their speakers; and while I'm not qualified to state ___ is better than ___, I do want to be available and share for those that are considering these NHT speakers.

Background:
I have just finished my open-area basement, and quite honestly couldn't get the family to spend time down there... except for my two oldest kids that have bedrooms down there!
I now have fixed that problem.... add a decent HT!
My LCR's about 11' from my MLP. My C1's are used for both side and rear surrounds (mounted near ceiling).
These speakers have quickly won over my family, and we now often have "couch night downstairs" as my wife and kids love the dynamic sound that comes from these speakers as we watch our drama and action movies.
Our listening is probably about 70-80% tv/movie and then my kids will play Top 40 music for the remaining 20-30% of the time.

At first the M7's appeared to be tight (thin?), but after 20+ hours of listening, they have become very articulate... both at low and high volume listening. I have been impressed with how clear the sound is when I have a good source/input. My son is in high school and is part of the band. He will use the speakers to listen to various music, as he is able to clearly pick out his instrument and those that accompany him.
The C1's have also done a great job as surrounds and help us get immersed in the movie. It is fun to watch the family react (flinch, duck, etc.) as the surround sound kicks in!
The build quality was also first rate. The piano black finish was flawless, and the speakers felt extremely solid and well constructed. It blends well with our room, and has significantly improved it's use.

Again, this is not an attempt to write a large detailed review on the M7 or C1, but rather to let others know I am available if there are questions about the product. (Trying to pay it forward to all of the great posts that got me to this point!).
dftkell likes this.
post #11674 of 11683 Unread 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
In March I purchased (3) M7's for my LCR, and then C1's for my surrounds. It has been almost three months that I have owned the speakers, and wanted to provide a brief report out for those that are searching either speaker.

I have read many reviews from others on the pro's and con's of their speakers; and while I'm not qualified to state ___ is better than ___, I do want to be available and share for those that are considering these NHT speakers.

Background:
I have just finished my open-area basement, and quite honestly couldn't get the family to spend time down there... except for my two oldest kids that have bedrooms down there!
I now have fixed that problem.... add a decent HT!
My LCR's about 11' from my MLP. My C1's are used for both side and rear surrounds (mounted near ceiling).
These speakers have quickly won over my family, and we now often have "couch night downstairs" as my wife and kids love the dynamic sound that comes from these speakers as we watch our drama and action movies.
Our listening is probably about 70-80% tv/movie and then my kids will play Top 40 music for the remaining 20-30% of the time.

At first the M7's appeared to be tight (thin?), but after 20+ hours of listening, they have become very articulate... both at low and high volume listening. I have been impressed with how clear the sound is when I have a good source/input. My son is in high school and is part of the band. He will use the speakers to listen to various music, as he is able to clearly pick out his instrument and those that accompany him.
The C1's have also done a great job as surrounds and help us get immersed in the movie. It is fun to watch the family react (flinch, duck, etc.) as the surround sound kicks in!
The build quality was also first rate. The piano black finish was flawless, and the speakers felt extremely solid and well constructed. It blends well with our room, and has significantly improved it's use.

Again, this is not an attempt to write a large detailed review on the M7 or C1, but rather to let others know I am available if there are questions about the product. (Trying to pay it forward to all of the great posts that got me to this point!).
Here are a few photos for those that are interested. For a size comparison, that is a 60" Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surround.png
Views:	73
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	1476401   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1476409  
post #11675 of 11683 Unread 06-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yep, those are good looking speakers and based upon their specs, design, build, etc. should sound great too. I came real close to buying a front LCR of the same earlier this year. From the research I did, look almost identical to the Evolution M6 line from 10+ years ago on the spec sheet. I had a full Evolution T5, M5 center and L5 surrounds and it absolutely loved it. Was scouring ebay and local ads thinking about getting the gang back together until the JBL Studio 590 fire sale hit last month.

DJ_JonnyV
post #11676 of 11683 Unread 06-03-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
Yep, those are good looking speakers and based upon their specs, design, build, etc. should sound great too. I came real close to buying a front LCR of the same earlier this year. From the research I did, look almost identical to the Evolution M6 line from 10+ years ago on the spec sheet. I had a full Evolution T5, M5 center and L5 surrounds and it absolutely loved it. Was scouring ebay and local ads thinking about getting the gang back together until the JBL Studio 590 fire sale hit last month.
Out of curiosity, how do the 590's sound compared to the T5's (if it's fair to compare something from that far back)?

The reason I ask is because I need to add towers upstairs to replace my 20 year old JBL's.
post #11677 of 11683 Unread 06-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Out of curiosity, how do the 590's sound compared to the T5's (if it's fair to compare something from that far back)?

The reason I ask is because I need to add towers upstairs to replace my 20 year old JBL's.
Man, it's gonna take me some time to think about this one.

DJ_JonnyV
post #11678 of 11683 Unread 07-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was hoping an NHT SuperOne owner could help me with my AVR decision. I've got a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1s, a SuperCenter 2.1, and a SVS PB-1000 that I'm setting up in a 1500 cubic foot bedroom that opens up to a hallway. I'm heavily leaning towards a Yamaha Aventage receiver, in particular the RX‑A750. I keep hearing about the low efficiency of these speakers and would like to make sure I get a receiver that can drive them properly. Will the A750's 90 watts per channel in stereo be enough to power my 3.1 SuperOne system and handle a future upgrade to 5.1?
post #11679 of 11683 Unread 07-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKnights View Post
I was hoping an NHT SuperOne owner could help me with my AVR decision. I've got a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1s, a SuperCenter 2.1, and a SVS PB-1000 that I'm setting up in a 1500 cubic foot bedroom that opens up to a hallway. I'm heavily leaning towards a Yamaha Aventage receiver, in particular the RX‑A750. I keep hearing about the low efficiency of these speakers and would like to make sure I get a receiver that can drive them properly. Will the A750's 90 watts per channel in stereo be enough to power my 3.1 SuperOne system and handle a future upgrade to 5.1?
I would think 90 watts per channel would be fine. My rears are Super One XU's and my center is a NHT VS1.4 (mains are Paradigm Studio 20 v2). My Marantz SR5009 is rated at 100 watts per channel and my avr doesn't break a sweat.
You might look at the 850 because it has preouts for all channels so you can add an amp if needed down the road.....just food for thought.

Last edited by barneypoo69; 07-20-2016 at 08:33 PM.
post #11680 of 11683 Unread 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello Fellow NHT owners. I have a few questions for you in regards to a set of (4) in ceiling speakers that I recently purchased. First though, I should say, that I feel fortunate, humbled and extremely lucky on the purchase I received.

Just last week I bid and won on what I thought was going to be a pair of NHT ic4 in-ceilings speakers. The starting bid was $200 which I thought was an excellent price for 2, older but new, in-box (as it was described) speakers for sale. I didn't think I'd really have a chance to win them knowing how e bay's, bidding/purchasing process goes. I had a limit of $220 that I was going to bid, so I thought why not just put my bid out there and see it get out-bid at the last minute/second. Surprisingly, there was only one other bidder that I guess was even less serious about them as I was, my bid was only pushed to $205 (final price was $211, including shipping). So, to my shock and good fortune, I was now the owner of a nice pair of in-ceiling speakers that I planned to use as rear surround channel speakers to compliment my current set up of 7.2 Classic Three/Absolute Tower system in my Den, Media room which is 17'x14'x9' size room.

To my surprise, when the Package showed up yesterday by my local Postal carrier, I was a little shocked at how big the box was containing the NHT's. I thought to myself, hmmm...there must be a whole lot of packing material in that box to protect those speakers. It was an original NHT shipping box that looked brand new and never opened.
So after I brought the box inside and of course I opened it right away, I was blown away by the fact that inside the large shipping box, there were two smaller boxes containing not one but TWO PAIR of brand new, never opened NHT ic4 in-ceiling speakers!!!

So now I have 4 in-ceiling speakers that i need to install and am searching for suggestions on how they should be implemented into my current system. I have a Denon AVR-4311 and 7 channels of external power (An Emotiva XPA 5 and UPA 2) currently driving my speakers with the Denon in Pre-amp mode.

I suppose sometime in the near future I'll be upgrading to an Atmos capable receiver to truly get the benefits of the ceiling speakers, but for now, should I just use the ceilings as FRONT HEIGHT and REAR SURROUND? I been also thinking to remove the Absolute towers from the equation, which I am now using as my Front R/L mains, (with 2 of the Classic 3's as wides) and just use the Classic 3's (and Classic 3 Center) in a 5.2.4 array?

My other question is, what is the difference between the older, ic4's (which I now have) and the newer ic4-ARC speakers? I can't seem to find any documentation on the differences between the 2 models.

Also, a little off topic for this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on a new, Atmos enabled Receiver that can handle at least 9 channels of speaker in either a 7.2.4 or 5.2.4 array? I do still plan to use my 7 channels of external power with the Emo's so I guess that should give me a bit of flexibility. But I'm also a little partial to Denon's line of receivers cause they've served me well so far. I also have a Denon 3311 in my master bedroom with some NHT Classic 2's in another 5.1 system.

Thanks for reading and any feedback is appreciated
post #11681 of 11683 Unread Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I will be receiving 2 of the new C3's that I will be using as my Front L and R. My center will be the C LCR. My questions concern the C3's and what speaker stands I should use with them.

1. What would be the best height for a speaker stand? How high should the plate be that the speaker sits on?

2. Can someone recommend a speaker stand that would be good to use with the C3's, giving them stability and a large surface area for them to sit on.

Thank you for your suggestions/info.

Regards to all,

Steve
post #11682 of 11683 Unread Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is your budget?

If I were in the market for stands, I would be considering Sound Anchors

As for height, I believe the general rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at ear level. So you would measure your ear height when seated at the most common spot and then find stands that would place your tweeter at roughly the same height.

Look forward to hearing your review of the C3s once you get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt View Post
I will be receiving 2 of the new C3's that I will be using as my Front L and R. My center will be the C LCR. My questions concern the C3's and what speaker stands I should use with them.

1. What would be the best height for a speaker stand? How high should the plate be that the speaker sits on?

2. Can someone recommend a speaker stand that would be good to use with the C3's, giving them stability and a large surface area for them to sit on.

Thank you for your suggestions/info.
post #11683 of 11683 Unread Today, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
What is your budget?

If I were in the market for stands, I would be considering Sound Anchors

As for height, I believe the general rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at ear level. So you would measure your ear height when seated at the most common spot and then find stands that would place your tweeter at roughly the same height.

Look forward to hearing your review of the C3s once you get them.
Thank you very much for the advice. Will look into those.

Will see what I can do about the review.

Regards to all,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers