New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 205Likes

post #11671 of 11699 Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Yeah, that is strange. In the past, I'd always get a quick email from Chris Byrne (and even talked to him several times). Hopefully customer service did not leave the company with them.

I'd like to hear NHT's new speakers, but do not feel there would be any 'upgrade' to the Classic series that I currently own. The prices look equivalent to the Classic series.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 11699 Old 05-07-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I've just pulled out a pair of NHT Super Ones from the box they have been stored in while I was overseas. They are gloss White and I bought them in the 90's, sometime. Pristine condition Ser # AS1-008111 and AS1-008150. Anyone have an idea what these are worth? I was really surprised how much my AR=3a's were worth. Looking at Amazon, they list them as discontinued and selling a used black pair for $488. Seems high to me, but I see lots of 2.1, but no originals.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
post #11673 of 11699 Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
In March I purchased (3) M7's for my LCR, and then C1's for my surrounds. It has been almost three months that I have owned the speakers, and wanted to provide a brief report out for those that are searching either speaker.

I have read many reviews from others on the pro's and con's of their speakers; and while I'm not qualified to state ___ is better than ___, I do want to be available and share for those that are considering these NHT speakers.

Background:
I have just finished my open-area basement, and quite honestly couldn't get the family to spend time down there... except for my two oldest kids that have bedrooms down there!
I now have fixed that problem.... add a decent HT!
My LCR's about 11' from my MLP. My C1's are used for both side and rear surrounds (mounted near ceiling).
These speakers have quickly won over my family, and we now often have "couch night downstairs" as my wife and kids love the dynamic sound that comes from these speakers as we watch our drama and action movies.
Our listening is probably about 70-80% tv/movie and then my kids will play Top 40 music for the remaining 20-30% of the time.

At first the M7's appeared to be tight (thin?), but after 20+ hours of listening, they have become very articulate... both at low and high volume listening. I have been impressed with how clear the sound is when I have a good source/input. My son is in high school and is part of the band. He will use the speakers to listen to various music, as he is able to clearly pick out his instrument and those that accompany him.
The C1's have also done a great job as surrounds and help us get immersed in the movie. It is fun to watch the family react (flinch, duck, etc.) as the surround sound kicks in!
The build quality was also first rate. The piano black finish was flawless, and the speakers felt extremely solid and well constructed. It blends well with our room, and has significantly improved it's use.

Again, this is not an attempt to write a large detailed review on the M7 or C1, but rather to let others know I am available if there are questions about the product. (Trying to pay it forward to all of the great posts that got me to this point!).
dftkell likes this.
post #11674 of 11699 Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
In March I purchased (3) M7's for my LCR, and then C1's for my surrounds. It has been almost three months that I have owned the speakers, and wanted to provide a brief report out for those that are searching either speaker.

I have read many reviews from others on the pro's and con's of their speakers; and while I'm not qualified to state ___ is better than ___, I do want to be available and share for those that are considering these NHT speakers.

Background:
I have just finished my open-area basement, and quite honestly couldn't get the family to spend time down there... except for my two oldest kids that have bedrooms down there!
I now have fixed that problem.... add a decent HT!
My LCR's about 11' from my MLP. My C1's are used for both side and rear surrounds (mounted near ceiling).
These speakers have quickly won over my family, and we now often have "couch night downstairs" as my wife and kids love the dynamic sound that comes from these speakers as we watch our drama and action movies.
Our listening is probably about 70-80% tv/movie and then my kids will play Top 40 music for the remaining 20-30% of the time.

At first the M7's appeared to be tight (thin?), but after 20+ hours of listening, they have become very articulate... both at low and high volume listening. I have been impressed with how clear the sound is when I have a good source/input. My son is in high school and is part of the band. He will use the speakers to listen to various music, as he is able to clearly pick out his instrument and those that accompany him.
The C1's have also done a great job as surrounds and help us get immersed in the movie. It is fun to watch the family react (flinch, duck, etc.) as the surround sound kicks in!
The build quality was also first rate. The piano black finish was flawless, and the speakers felt extremely solid and well constructed. It blends well with our room, and has significantly improved it's use.

Again, this is not an attempt to write a large detailed review on the M7 or C1, but rather to let others know I am available if there are questions about the product. (Trying to pay it forward to all of the great posts that got me to this point!).
Here are a few photos for those that are interested. For a size comparison, that is a 60" Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surround.png
Views:	121
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	1476401   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1476409  
post #11675 of 11699 Old 06-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yep, those are good looking speakers and based upon their specs, design, build, etc. should sound great too. I came real close to buying a front LCR of the same earlier this year. From the research I did, look almost identical to the Evolution M6 line from 10+ years ago on the spec sheet. I had a full Evolution T5, M5 center and L5 surrounds and it absolutely loved it. Was scouring ebay and local ads thinking about getting the gang back together until the JBL Studio 590 fire sale hit last month.

DJ_JonnyV
post #11676 of 11699 Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
Yep, those are good looking speakers and based upon their specs, design, build, etc. should sound great too. I came real close to buying a front LCR of the same earlier this year. From the research I did, look almost identical to the Evolution M6 line from 10+ years ago on the spec sheet. I had a full Evolution T5, M5 center and L5 surrounds and it absolutely loved it. Was scouring ebay and local ads thinking about getting the gang back together until the JBL Studio 590 fire sale hit last month.
Out of curiosity, how do the 590's sound compared to the T5's (if it's fair to compare something from that far back)?

The reason I ask is because I need to add towers upstairs to replace my 20 year old JBL's.
post #11677 of 11699 Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do the 590's sound compared to the T5's (if it's fair to compare something from that far back)?

The reason I ask is because I need to add towers upstairs to replace my 20 year old JBL's.
Man, it's gonna take me some time to think about this one.

DJ_JonnyV
post #11678 of 11699 Old 07-16-2016, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was hoping an NHT SuperOne owner could help me with my AVR decision. I've got a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1s, a SuperCenter 2.1, and a SVS PB-1000 that I'm setting up in a 1500 cubic foot bedroom that opens up to a hallway. I'm heavily leaning towards a Yamaha Aventage receiver, in particular the RX‑A750. I keep hearing about the low efficiency of these speakers and would like to make sure I get a receiver that can drive them properly. Will the A750's 90 watts per channel in stereo be enough to power my 3.1 SuperOne system and handle a future upgrade to 5.1?
post #11679 of 11699 Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKnights View Post
I was hoping an NHT SuperOne owner could help me with my AVR decision. I've got a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1s, a SuperCenter 2.1, and a SVS PB-1000 that I'm setting up in a 1500 cubic foot bedroom that opens up to a hallway. I'm heavily leaning towards a Yamaha Aventage receiver, in particular the RX‑A750. I keep hearing about the low efficiency of these speakers and would like to make sure I get a receiver that can drive them properly. Will the A750's 90 watts per channel in stereo be enough to power my 3.1 SuperOne system and handle a future upgrade to 5.1?
I would think 90 watts per channel would be fine. My rears are Super One XU's and my center is a NHT VS1.4 (mains are Paradigm Studio 20 v2). My Marantz SR5009 is rated at 100 watts per channel and my avr doesn't break a sweat.
You might look at the 850 because it has preouts for all channels so you can add an amp if needed down the road.....just food for thought.

Last edited by barneypoo69; 07-20-2016 at 09:33 PM.
post #11680 of 11699 Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello Fellow NHT owners. I have a few questions for you in regards to a set of (4) in ceiling speakers that I recently purchased. First though, I should say, that I feel fortunate, humbled and extremely lucky on the purchase I received.

Just last week I bid and won on what I thought was going to be a pair of NHT ic4 in-ceilings speakers. The starting bid was $200 which I thought was an excellent price for 2, older but new, in-box (as it was described) speakers for sale. I didn't think I'd really have a chance to win them knowing how e bay's, bidding/purchasing process goes. I had a limit of $220 that I was going to bid, so I thought why not just put my bid out there and see it get out-bid at the last minute/second. Surprisingly, there was only one other bidder that I guess was even less serious about them as I was, my bid was only pushed to $205 (final price was $211, including shipping). So, to my shock and good fortune, I was now the owner of a nice pair of in-ceiling speakers that I planned to use as rear surround channel speakers to compliment my current set up of 7.2 Classic Three/Absolute Tower system in my Den, Media room which is 17'x14'x9' size room.

To my surprise, when the Package showed up yesterday by my local Postal carrier, I was a little shocked at how big the box was containing the NHT's. I thought to myself, hmmm...there must be a whole lot of packing material in that box to protect those speakers. It was an original NHT shipping box that looked brand new and never opened.
So after I brought the box inside and of course I opened it right away, I was blown away by the fact that inside the large shipping box, there were two smaller boxes containing not one but TWO PAIR of brand new, never opened NHT ic4 in-ceiling speakers!!!

So now I have 4 in-ceiling speakers that i need to install and am searching for suggestions on how they should be implemented into my current system. I have a Denon AVR-4311 and 7 channels of external power (An Emotiva XPA 5 and UPA 2) currently driving my speakers with the Denon in Pre-amp mode.

I suppose sometime in the near future I'll be upgrading to an Atmos capable receiver to truly get the benefits of the ceiling speakers, but for now, should I just use the ceilings as FRONT HEIGHT and REAR SURROUND? I been also thinking to remove the Absolute towers from the equation, which I am now using as my Front R/L mains, (with 2 of the Classic 3's as wides) and just use the Classic 3's (and Classic 3 Center) in a 5.2.4 array?

My other question is, what is the difference between the older, ic4's (which I now have) and the newer ic4-ARC speakers? I can't seem to find any documentation on the differences between the 2 models.

Also, a little off topic for this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on a new, Atmos enabled Receiver that can handle at least 9 channels of speaker in either a 7.2.4 or 5.2.4 array? I do still plan to use my 7 channels of external power with the Emo's so I guess that should give me a bit of flexibility. But I'm also a little partial to Denon's line of receivers cause they've served me well so far. I also have a Denon 3311 in my master bedroom with some NHT Classic 2's in another 5.1 system.

Thanks for reading and any feedback is appreciated
post #11681 of 11699 Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I will be receiving 2 of the new C3's that I will be using as my Front L and R. My center will be the C LCR. My questions concern the C3's and what speaker stands I should use with them.

1. What would be the best height for a speaker stand? How high should the plate be that the speaker sits on?

2. Can someone recommend a speaker stand that would be good to use with the C3's, giving them stability and a large surface area for them to sit on.

Thank you for your suggestions/info.

Regards to all,

Steve
post #11682 of 11699 Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is your budget?

If I were in the market for stands, I would be considering Sound Anchors

As for height, I believe the general rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at ear level. So you would measure your ear height when seated at the most common spot and then find stands that would place your tweeter at roughly the same height.

Look forward to hearing your review of the C3s once you get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt View Post
I will be receiving 2 of the new C3's that I will be using as my Front L and R. My center will be the C LCR. My questions concern the C3's and what speaker stands I should use with them.

1. What would be the best height for a speaker stand? How high should the plate be that the speaker sits on?

2. Can someone recommend a speaker stand that would be good to use with the C3's, giving them stability and a large surface area for them to sit on.

Thank you for your suggestions/info.
post #11683 of 11699 Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
What is your budget?

If I were in the market for stands, I would be considering Sound Anchors

As for height, I believe the general rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at ear level. So you would measure your ear height when seated at the most common spot and then find stands that would place your tweeter at roughly the same height.

Look forward to hearing your review of the C3s once you get them.
Thank you very much for the advice. Will look into those.

Will see what I can do about the review.

Regards to all,

Steve
post #11684 of 11699 Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 216
NHT sells Sanus stands which are just fine and priced well. There is also a great selection of stands on Wayfair.com. Just choose a height that will put the tweeter at ear height.

http://www.wayfair.com/Speaker-Stand...speaker+stands

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11685 of 11699 Old 08-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Thank you all for the speaker stand suggestions. I ended up with these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got them because they are adjustable from 26" height to 46". At their lowest level the tweeter .
height is almost exactly at my ear level. Realize they are a bit of an overkill when it comes to the weight they can carry, but I am happy with them.

The NHT speakers I have sound great to me! In the front I have 2 C3's and a C LCR. On top of the C3's I have the NHT Atmos add on speakers. In the rear I have 2 NHT MS Satellite, Dolby Atmos Enabled Satellite Speakers.

I am extremely happy with these new speakers. I am not very good at reviews, don't know the proper terms etc. All I can say is that I seem to be hearing things that I had not before with my old speakers (Bic Acoustech speakers). The sound seems clearer and more distinct.

Very very happy with my speaker setup.

Regards to all,

Steve
post #11686 of 11699 Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 471
New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
The new C3 looks like an industrial version of the Classic 3, same size, specs, drivers (but supposedly an upgraded XO).

Not exactly. The tweeter is different: a 1" dome in the new one and a .75" dome in the Classic.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #11687 of 11699 Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Nht sb3

Hey all,

I just picked up a pair of previously owned NHT SB3 speakers.

Fit & finish is really nice. Sadly, the seller did a poor job of packing them and one corner got dinged (can see the MDF). The seller wrapped them in bubble wrap and placed them in a box, separating them with the bubble wrap and some packing paper. Luckily, there was some closed cell foam on the bottom of the box but the top and sides of the outer box caved in with the slightest pressure from my hand.

The good news is that they appear to be functioning properly and the level of detail from them is excellent. Even better is their level of bass response. I have to place them in close proximity to the front wall to get the good bass response but that doesn't seem to harm the rest of the spectrum as much as I thought it might. The sounstage is pretty wide, even with the tweeters well below the height of my ears. Instrument separation is very good.

My initial impressions are good. These are my first NHT speakers and this specific model came to me as highly recommended by a friend who has been an avid audio enthusiast far longer than I have.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with them.

Are there tips for restoring the gloss black finish? Car care products like paint cleaners or polishes applied with a lint free microfiber or terry cloth towel?

Can anyone tell me if there is a matching center channel speaker?

I will be using these in a hybrid 2-Channel / HT set up.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!
post #11688 of 11699 Old 08-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The SB3 is certainly a nice speaker. NHT used to sell the SC2 as the companion center channel speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Hey all,

I just picked up a pair of previously owned NHT SB3 speakers.

Fit & finish is really nice. Sadly, the seller did a poor job of packing them and one corner got dinged (can see the MDF). The seller wrapped them in bubble wrap and placed them in a box, separating them with the bubble wrap and some packing paper. Luckily, there was some closed cell foam on the bottom of the box but the top and sides of the outer box caved in with the slightest pressure from my hand.

The good news is that they appear to be functioning properly and the level of detail from them is excellent. Even better is their level of bass response. I have to place them in close proximity to the front wall to get the good bass response but that doesn't seem to harm the rest of the spectrum as much as I thought it might. The sounstage is pretty wide, even with the tweeters well below the height of my ears. Instrument separation is very good.

My initial impressions are good. These are my first NHT speakers and this specific model came to me as highly recommended by a friend who has been an avid audio enthusiast far longer than I have.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with them.

Are there tips for restoring the gloss black finish? Car care products like paint cleaners or polishes applied with a lint free microfiber or terry cloth towel?

Can anyone tell me if there is a matching center channel speaker?

I will be using these in a hybrid 2-Channel / HT set up.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!
post #11689 of 11699 Old 08-27-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
The SB3 is certainly a nice speaker. NHT used to sell the SC2 as the companion center channel speaker.
Great! Thank you for the information @konoyaro
post #11690 of 11699 Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Here are a few photos for those that are interested. For a size comparison, that is a 60" Samsung.
That is a beautiful & clean looking set you have! Congrats on getting the family together for movie nights! My wife used to be in the band and she is my impartial / objective ears when it comes to the demo of new gear in my set up. lol.
post #11691 of 11699 Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered a set of Absolute Walls for my living room. Not sure why I had overlooked them all this time, but they may be ideal for my situation. Pretty excited to try them.

Those Pioneer SP-FS52s never worked well there (too close to the wall, not enough room once we stack firewood there, and that insert will likely generate a lot more heat than I want near speakers) so I replaced them with a set of SuperZero XUs mounted up on the wall adjacent to that mirror. The Absolute Walls will replace the XUs and hopefully look a bit cleaner (I'll mount them upside down to get the tweeters closer to ear level) and maybe go a little lower.

Of course as I type this, a pair of Classic Threes are available locally for a touch over $400. Would love to use them here, but.....Black. Not sure the wife would go for that. There's really nowhere ideal for me to stash a subwoofer along that wall, so those would certainly fix my less than ideal subwoofer placement.
post #11692 of 11699 Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
I just sold my set (3) of M5s to a local guy that used them to complete his 5.1 system. I will miss them, but just didn't have anywhere to use them to their full potential.

Ryan
post #11693 of 11699 Old 11-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Before: (Superzero XU)

After: (Absolute Wall)
post #11694 of 11699 Old 11-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If anyone is looking for an AC-2, I am moving to electrostatics so my perfect condition ac-2 is available in Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota area (Florida)..offers.
post #11695 of 11699 Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I guess I'll be the first to say you should wall mount your tv and put the center speaker on top of the stand. I did that with my setup and it made a HUGE difference!

Nice setup though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Yes Craw,

I'd have to agree with MNC, the center is very compromised it is current position. And, it really is easy to mount displays these days. Lot's of options on mounts, most very easy to do. The center would just open up a LOT, just like the Threes did with raising them. Glad you are liking them!!!

Nice setup by the way!!!
Hey, guys... Me again. Remember me? Mr. Won't Get Rid of His Coffee Table & Center Channel In the Entertainment Cabinet Guy?

We've done some changes to our house/family room. Put in hardwood floors, and added a rug to name a couple things. Oh, and I finally got the TV up and the center channel out of the entertainment center. Still have the coffee table, though. The wife won't let that go away.

The center channel is finally alive! I'm amazed at what I've been missing. Thanks again, and I hope you're all doing well.

Pic:
Spoiler!

Cheers!

Last edited by CRAW; 11-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #11696 of 11699 Old 11-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have a picture of a Classic 3 next to an Absolute Zero for size comparison?

I couldn't find one on Google.
post #11697 of 11699 Old 11-17-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
Does anyone have a picture of a Classic 3 next to an Absolute Zero for size comparison?

I couldn't find one on Google.
Here are a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_184748.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1775625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_184653.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1775633   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_184724.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1775641  
CRAW likes this.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Oppo BDP-103, Dish VIP722
AR-91 front speakers, PSB-Image 8C center spkr
Velodyne Optima 12 & DLS-5000R subs
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
post #11698 of 11699 Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
Here are a couple.
Wow! They are substantially smaller. Thanks for the pics and your time.
post #11699 of 11699 Old 11-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
Wow! They are substantially smaller. Thanks for the pics and your time.
Even though the Absolute Zero's are smaller, they still put out a great sound. I have them in a bedroom along with a Velodyne Eq-Max 12 inch subwoofer. That's a great combination for sound and I recommend them. I use the Classic 3s in my main system as surround speakers. I'm now thinking about replacing my old Acoustic Research AR-91s with the new NHT C4s as my front speakers.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Oppo BDP-103, Dish VIP722
AR-91 front speakers, PSB-Image 8C center spkr
Velodyne Optima 12 & DLS-5000R subs
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page