Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, you wouldn't need dual subs. It's a small enough room, one is fine, though two subs really are a great thing. Can you use an AZ as a center as well? Or do you need a horizontal speaker? An AZ will match much better and sound great for less money if you can place it.

My theory is that, if you spend the money on the Classic 3-way centers, you should go for the Threes to match, but that might blow the budget.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

No, you wouldn't need dual subs. It's a small enough room, one is fine, though two subs really are a great thing. Can you use an AZ as a center as well? Or do you need a horizontal speaker? An AZ will match much better and sound great for less money if you can place it.

My theory is that, if you spend the money on the Classic 3-way centers, you should go for the Threes to match, but that might blow the budget.

Thanks again. Yes, I could use an AZ as a center, since it would be on the same bookshelf as the mains. The thing is, the bookshelf is floor to ceiling, from the left wall of the room to the doorway in the center of the room, and my 30" LCD HDTV is mounted in the shelves (a couple are removed). But the right side of the TV is flush with the right edge of the bookshelf. In other words, it's "right-justified", if you will, and that's because there is a doorway adjacent to the bookshelf on the right; thus the location of the TV for optimal viewing from the other side of the room. But it means that the right main cannot be positioned to the right of the TV, but rather will be directly above the TV, flush with its right-side edge. (I'm kind of having to work within the limitations posed by the shelves.) Consequently, the center channel speaker will have to sit within about 24 inches of the right (and left) mains in front. Is that enough separation? Would 3 AZs (L-C-R) work okay in front? Or should I just rip out the bookshelves & start over?!! Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No way you can put the right speaker to the right of the doorway?

John
Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:

No way you can put the right speaker to the right of the doorway?

Yeah, I know, I wish. But not unless I remove the door or close it anytime the speaker is in use, and since the door faces a high traffic hallway, it typically stays open. It opens into the room, toward the listener, on right-hand-side hinges, and thus would obscure any speakers to the right of the door when open (they woudl be behind the door). Moreover, the wall space to the right of the door is only about 12" wide before the diagonal fireplace starts, so the door actually obscures part of that, too. Hmm, wonder how the AZ would look on the mantle? Just kidding, heat issues there. Oh, the joys of working around the quirks of a 1920 home.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not sure what to say. You could use 2 speakers or 3 speakers up front. The center will help on 5.1 material, but might hurt on other 2.0 type stuff. At least they're thin, low profile and image well. Wish I could be of more help there.

John
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM

The new classic line comes prethreaded for speaker mounts. You say you have 9.5' ceilings? I would mount them up high in the corners, that way you can have them where you want them, not worry about the door, and have good channel separation. With speaker mounts, you should be able to angle them downward towards the listening position.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 PM

John, any Three's show up yet? I am dying to hear how they sound compared to the Two's, and compared to the SB3's.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not for about 4 weeks yet. I'd love to know too. The Twos are a better speaker overall than the SB3 with better imaging, soundstaging, resolution so all the Three needs to do is have even a little more resolution, a little more bass and a little better dispersion than the Two and it's an audiophile home run. Based on its design parameters, thats *exactly* what it should do. My only fear is that the Three/Four will be so good that it will eat into Xd sales.

John
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 PM

I am just chimming in so to receive updates to this thread and the availability once they arrive. Thanks again John
Old 12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

NHT has speakers that can be used away from TVs (Zero, TWO, THREE, etc), on TVs (2C, 3C, M5, M6, etc) and against the wall (M5, M6, L5, etc), so the "wisdom" here is to make a few different choices for every situation.

John, for someone who wants the Classic why can't the 2c or 3c be used against the wall under a front projector screen? I thought it was also built and designed for it, since I find it somehow awkward looking to have a speaker away and up front of the screen. thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No reason why not, that's essentially how it's designed. We're just getting "tweaky" at this point. It's better for the upper midrange and the imaging to be away from room boundaries in general, but the bass balance of the 2C/3C was tuned based on the idea that it was a) on something big (big screen), b) in something big (cabinet) or c) against something big (wall). It's an imperfect approximate anyway. But at least they care enough to consider the likely placement rather than ignore it as many companies do. The Three would perform better away from the wall as it has much more extended bass.

John
Old 12-03-2005, 02:46 PM

First time post... My concern is whether NHT will be here to support us in the future. Their emails to sales or staff come back undeliverable and their website needs to be updated. Under their history link the last entry was in 2002. I would think for such a major player in the audio/speaker world someone would keep their site current.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Are you going to this site? - www.nhthifi.com
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysue View Post

First time post... My concern is whether NHT will be here to support us in the future. Their emails to sales or staff come back undeliverable and their website needs to be updated. Under their history link the last entry was in 2002. I would think for such a major player in the audio/speaker world someone would keep their site current.

Not sure what you're talking about here. The site was just completely updated with the Classic models a few weeks back and all of my e-mails went through except for sales@nhthifi.com which is a bad link. I've e-mailed them on that one with the corrected HTML.

John
Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No reason why not, that's essentially how it's designed. We're just getting "tweaky" at this point. It's better for the upper midrange and the imaging to be away from room boundaries in general, but the bass balance of the 2C/3C was tuned based on the idea that it was a) on something big (big screen), b) in something big (cabinet) or c) against something big (wall). It's an imperfect approximate anyway. But at least they care enough to consider the likely placement rather than ignore it as many companies do. The Three would perform better away from the wall as it has much more extended bass.

Last week, I visited a store (Digital Ear) to check out the anthony gallo speakers to replace my superzeros b/c my wife wanted a more minimalist look to our small HT room once we move in next week. While talking to the sales rep I noticed a shiny black and nicely crafted satellite speaker which I pointed out to him. He said that thing of beauty, called the Tannoy Arenas, are way much better in sound quality than those Gallos. Never had the chance to listen although he allowed me to bring home a pair of Gallos diva to compare my superzeros with.

As expected, it was a no contest win for the SuperZeros. The Gallos sounded a little harsh and overly bright. I just thought to myself how difficult it is to depart from NHT after being spoiled with for 11 years (I still remember Corey Greenberg's articles from Home Theater mags).

Anyhow, I'm seriously considering the Tannoy arenas or the amazing Niro speaker which I had recently demoed. The Niro delivers high quality sound but is a totally different animal - all 5 drivers enclosed in one small box; you'll be totally surprised by the sound of this puppy. But this thread is making me want to go back with NHT and check out the new Classics...
Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How can you get more minimalist that SuperZeros?!?

John
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How can you get more minimalist that SuperZeros?!?

Somehow, she wants them to disappear b/c the room is really a dining room when we move in So I'm trying to find the best solution for both. Somewhat hard to describe...see, one wall has a huge wide niche to fit in a 120" front projection screen which I can cover with panels during the day. So dining room by day, HT room by night
Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well i know this is off topic but i was planning on down the road adding a pair of Twos to my current setup of NHT SB-2's. These were recommended to be the closest timbre match. I didnt realize the Two was a 6ohm speaker. My current receiver willl not have a problem powering these, but my question is will these speakers be louder than the SB2's at the same volume settings because of their lower ohm rating? I am assuming the twos will player louder only because they will draw more power from the amp.

Only time will tell what the future holds...so until then JAM LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW!
-Rob

My Natalie P project
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why not just get some more SB2's. They can be had for a great price right now.

Greg
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I should while they're still available...But i am really strapped for cash, for id say about a month or so. By then they'll probably all be gone.

Only time will tell what the future holds...so until then JAM LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW!
-Rob

My Natalie P project
Old 12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just tell yourself you will be saving money in the long run since SB2s are half the price of the Twos

Greg
Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The impedance difference shouldn't really be noticeable.

John
Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

Just tell yourself you will be saving money in the long run since SB2s are half the price of the Twos

You do have a point...I hope they're still around by the 12th.

Alimentall, thanks for the info.

-Rob

My Natalie P project
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In other news, since Classic speakers make pretty much every speaker stand on which they sit look kinda ugly, I did a lot of searching and found that Target makes a piano black speaker stand that looks fantastic with the Two and Three (too big for the AZ). The only bad thing? I bought the last ones that had been important. The good news? They said they'd bring over more if the demand is there. So I'm going to try to convince them to import some more. Sand fillable, gloss black, all metal construction.

John
Old 12-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Hey Jack, is NHT really not going to be at CES this year? I did not see you listed on the exhibitor list. I was looking forward to seeing the entire Classic line, and hopefully even hear a few of the models demo'd.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Look under the Hilton. They'll be there.

John
Old 12-17-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In other news, since Classic speakers make pretty much every speaker stand on which they sit look kinda ugly, I did a lot of searching and found that Target makes a piano black speaker stand that looks fantastic with the Two and Three (too big for the AZ). The only bad thing? I bought the last ones that had been important. The good news? They said they'd bring over more if the demand is there. So I'm going to try to convince them to import some more. Sand fillable, gloss black, all metal construction.

I'd like NHT to make some custom stands that bolt onto to Classic bookshelf speakers. Aren't there screw holes there now for the metal footers?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:06 AM

So has anyone heard the Classic 3 or 4 yet? I stopped by my dealer 2 days ago and he said that delivery was imminent. I bought the absolute zeros and like them and now am interested in buying the center and fronts.

Do you think the 4's are mainly for HT or will they be great for two channel music as well. I noticed in the glossy that it says that the 4 is for people who don't have room for an external sub - I have an external SVS sub, so does this mean the 4's won't play well in my environment? I primarily want a great two channel stereo speaker that will also sound good with HT.

One thing I thought was kinda of chessy with the 3 and 4 is that there is a foam piece (that they don't show in the pictures) that attaches between the tweeter and mid-range domes to reduce reflections between the two. No big deal just seems strange.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

I'd like NHT to make some custom stands that bolt onto to Classic bookshelf speakers. Aren't there screw holes there now for the metal footers?

Yes, but they're angled and I thing it would be expensive to make a speaker stand that worked with the rounded bottom of the speaker. Possible, but NHT has never been good as selling speaker stands. And the screw holes are all spaced differently. That's another issue. The Targets look great with them though.

John
Old 12-18-2005, 09:25 AM

I am building a dedicated theater room. It will be 80% movies, but I periodically like to jam to some DVD-Audio Blue Man Group or Mannheim Steamroller. I am looking at eaither the Yammy RX-V2600, Denon 3806, or possibly a Pioneer Elite or Onkyo. I really like the Yammy's upconversion to 720p/1080i. They say receivers sound different, but it also depends on your speakers. I will be going with the Two's or Three's all around in a 6.1 front projection set-up, with an SVS sub. Any idea which would be the best match for the new NHT's? And what type of sound would it have - a bit warm, or a bit bright? If it makes a difference, the front speakers will be on stands, and the rear speakers will be up high in the corners pointed down towards the center of the room. Room is 11wide x 13deep x 9tall fully enclosed. What do you guys think?

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus