post #181 of 10823 Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSUB View Post

So has anyone heard the Classic 3 or 4 yet? I stopped by my dealer 2 days ago and he said that delivery was imminent. I bought the absolute zeros and like them and now am interested in buying the center and fronts.

Imminent being probably second week of January, to be realistic.
Quote:

Do you think the 4's are mainly for HT or will they be great for two channel music as well. I noticed in the glossy that it says that the 4 is for people who don't have room for an external sub - I have an external SVS sub, so does this mean the 4's won't play well in my environment? I primarily want a great two channel stereo speaker that will also sound good with HT.

They're going to be *excellent* for 2-channel. The dispersion and clarity is a big deal for music. But, if you want to avoid using the SVS for music, then buy the Fours and set the fronts to "large". Otherwise, you could get Threes and use your sub all the time. I do believe that the Fours will give you a more coherent bass than most any separate sub, especially with the dual 10" woofers rather than, say, a single 12".
Quote:

One thing I thought was kinda of chessy with the 3 and 4 is that there is a foam piece (that they don't show in the pictures) that attaches between the tweeter and mid-range domes to reduce reflections between the two. No big deal just seems strange.

I'm not sure what is "cheesy" (chessy?) about putting foam on the speaker to improve the sound, especially when it will be hidden behind a grill. Most companies wouldn't bother with this. To me, it shows great attention to even the smallest details. Isn't that what true high-end design is all about?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10823 Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereowise View Post

I am building a dedicated theater room. It will be 80% movies, but I periodically like to jam to some DVD-Audio Blue Man Group or Mannheim Steamroller. I am looking at eaither the Yammy RX-V2600, Denon 3806, or possibly a Pioneer Elite or Onkyo. I really like the Yammy's upconversion to 720p/1080i. They say receivers sound different, but it also depends on your speakers. I will be going with the Two's or Three's all around in a 6.1 front projection set-up, with an SVS sub. Any idea which would be the best match for the new NHT's? And what type of sound would it have - a bit warm, or a bit bright? If it makes a difference, the front speakers will be on stands, and the rear speakers will be up high in the corners pointed down towards the center of the room. Room is 11wide x 13deep x 9tall fully enclosed. What do you guys think?

Wow. That's a bit overkill, IMO. Personally, for a room that small, I'd probably do 5 Absolute Zeros and an SW10, then take the savings and put a set of Threes or Fours in the living room for music. SVS subs are more about loud output and ultra deep bass, something your room is just to small to really use. Kind of like buying an SUV to commute to work. Maybe Twos. I wouldn't put the speakers up in the corners. I assume your couch will be against the back wall? If that's the case, the speakers should be about ~5' off the ground on the side walls facing each other. If your couch is, say, 5' in, which would put you 8' from the screen (which is fine, up to an 8' wide screen), you'll get better sound and the rears can be a bit lower and angled forward toward the person furthest away (not that it matters as much with this much dispersion). The Threes might actually have *too much* dispersion for your room without some treatment. That could make them a bit brighter sounding. But done properly, it would be fine.

John
post #183 of 10823 Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 AM

Alimentall,

Thanks for the input. I hope my local dealer wasn't being overly optimistic on their availability. They sure implied to me that they would be in within a week, but they probably don't know more that any other dealer.

I agree that for two channel the four is the way to go. It can be tough to integrate a sub with bookshelf speakers for two channel listening.

The foam just seemed strange but like you said it shows attention to detail.
post #184 of 10823 Old 12-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks Alimentall,

I know that Three's are not needed for my room size. I was going to get them since they are better sound quality wise. I thought the 3-way design with aluminum drivers would be significantly better. I just will not need to blast them too loud. I did not think about the dispersion though. You may have a point there about too wide of a dispersion in my small room. I am going with SVS sub because the ultra deep is exactly what I want. My room size wont need much, but I want to be able to go ultra deep. And which receiver would you suggest with these speakers (Two's or Three's)?

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
post #185 of 10823 Old 12-18-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, here's the thing. If you use a 6' wide screen, then the speakers will be about 2' from the side walls. That means too much sidewall reflection too soon. There *is* a possible solution to this. Make a couple of triangles out of some 1' wide MDF or plywood strips about 4' high. Cover with some carpet or anything absorbent (if you can). Then place these triangles along the sidewall between you and the speakers, but a little close to the speakers. This absorbs/reflects the worse side wall reflections so that they don't reach your ear directly. But you'll have to treat the walls. Not because the Three's dispersion is bad, but it makes a bad situation worse. If you have a wider room, then it is a good thing. The Twos don't have as much dispersion, but they're still pretty wide. I'd do some treatment, no matter what. I guess the sub thing is up to you. Not what I'd recommend, but you can always ship it back, if it doesn't work out.

John
post #186 of 10823 Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 PM

And any suggestions on receivers for the Two's or Three's?

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
post #187 of 10823 Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think they deserve something like NAD, Arcam, Rotel, Cambridge if you can.

John
post #188 of 10823 Old 12-20-2005, 09:13 PM

Alimentall,

Any word or updated info. on arrival time?
post #189 of 10823 Old 12-20-2005, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Early January by all accounts. Not too far away.

John
post #190 of 10823 Old 12-21-2005, 03:06 PM

A week and half ago my dealer said a few days, 5 days ago they said any day now, and yesterday they said they really don't know - just that they expect it soon.
post #191 of 10823 Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think your dealer did what I did - went off the previous estimate right up until they started wondering where their order was. Then finding out that there had been a bit of a delay, though certainly not an abnormal one. I don't think I've *ever* had a product show up within a month of its original target date in 15 years in business.

John
post #192 of 10823 Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Anyone have pictures of the Two's and Three's with the grills?

Thanks
post #193 of 10823 Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are some pictures on at www.nhthifi.com They look great with the grills as the grill really matches the contour of the speaker. Very nicely done.

John
post #194 of 10823 Old 12-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Will the new 3C work with 2.5i speakers?
post #195 of 10823 Old 12-27-2005, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, but it will make you want to get the Fours to match

John
post #196 of 10823 Old 12-28-2005, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, if anyone hasn't noticed, I'm doing a "US Tour" of the Classic series. I've got three sets of Twos out, one pair in CA, on in MI (that may not be going anywhere) and a pair in NC now that are about ready to be passed on. I want to send out three pairs of Absolute Zeros now and I have Threes coming in a few weeks. This is mainly for people who simply have no nearby dealer and probably can't hear them otherwise. Details below:

John
post #197 of 10823 Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

BTW, if anyone hasn't noticed, I'm doing a "US Tour" of the Classic series. I've got three sets of Twos out, one pair in CA, on in MI (that may not be going anywhere) and a pair in NC now that are about ready to be passed on. I want to send out three pairs of Absolute Zeros now and I have Threes coming in a few weeks. This is mainly for people who simply have no nearby dealer and probably can't hear them otherwise. Details below:

I would like to audition the THREE'S when they arrive.
post #198 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 04:25 PM

Would this be a good 5:1 setup?

receiver: Yamaha 1600 or 2600
fronts: Two's
surrounds: Zero's
center: Two C (need to fit in cabinet, can't go with Three C)
sub: SW10
room is about 15' x 19'
post #199 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd probably just do 5 Absoluate Zeros or 5 Twos if you can. Or, if you have to go with the 2C, spend the extra bucks and get the Threes for the front to match. I know NHT is marketing the 2C for the Twos, but I suspect it's still a better match for the Three because the Three has the same basic drivers. Then upgrade the sub and rears to match.

John
post #200 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCMB View Post

Would this be a good 5:1 setup?

receiver: Yamaha 1600 or 2600
fronts: Two's
surrounds: Zero's
center: Two C (need to fit in cabinet, can't go with Three C)
sub: SW10
room is about 15' x 19'

That's a good sized room. IMO it would be worth it to match your fronts and surrounds.
post #201 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Where would you set the crossover for these little guys, I noticed a couple only reach down to the 70hz region?

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #202 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

I would put a HK, NAD, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio receiver with them before a Yamaha.

I really like the Yamaha's for the price - and the connections, video switching, etc...

Also, I probably should have mentioned my usage will probably be about 80% HT and 20% music. Wouldn't one of the Yamahas be a decent choice?
post #203 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem going with the Yamaha if it affords you better speakers that your Yamaha can adequately drive, especially if a more expensive receiver in this price range means you will be using lessor speakers.
post #204 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where would you set the crossover for these little guys, I noticed a couple only reach down to the 70hz region?

One full octave below the 3db downpoint is the prevaling wisdom, so 140hz .

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #205 of 10823 Old 01-01-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been switching between 80Hz and 100Hz and there's not much difference. I'd say lower if you have one sub. You can go a bit higher with dual subs, but which is best will depend on multiple factors including the room. I'd say 100Hz is a good starting point.

John
post #206 of 10823 Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Still, probably, below the point where bass is localizable...depending on who you ask.

Also a decent sub shouldn't have too much trouble keeping pace and rythm at the upper end of it's frequency limitation when also having to run the really low stuff.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #207 of 10823 Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

One full octave below the 3db downpoint is the prevaling wisdom, so 140hz .

The prevailing wisdom is different for acoustic suspension bass. You can generally cross over at the -3db point with no ill effects as the roll off is gradual and predictable and the woofer won't go into self destruct mode (like a ported speaker will) trying to reproduce tones below resonance. In fact, THX speakers use the predictable roll-off of acoustic suspension speakers as part of the crossover, specifying a 3db down point of 80hz which when combined with a THX crossover gives you a Linkwitz-Riley 24db per octave at 80.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #208 of 10823 Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
vvv

I have a Velodyne DD-18 sub that includes a 8 band parameteric EQ. Where would you crossover the classic 3s?
post #209 of 10823 Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 AM
vvv

I am looking for a couple options for a potential 7.1 Classic set up utilizing an existing Velodyne DD-18.

Option 1

Fronts: Classic 3s

Center: 3C

Rears: 4 Classic 2s wall mounted

Option 2

Fronts: Classic 3s

Center: 3C

Rears: 4 Classic 3s stand mounted

Room is to be a dedecated media room. Specific room dimensions TBD. Minimum room size 12 * 20 * 8

Music and Movies will be 50 / 50

Question 1: Given the more advanced design of the Classic 3s, should they be used for surround duties as well as fronts?

Question 2: Does anyone know if NHT is planning a dipolar or bipolar rear classic speaker.
post #210 of 10823 Old 01-03-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The answer to Q1 and Q2 is the same. The ultra wide dispersion of the Three makes it an ideal rear speaker for 5, 6 and 7 channel systems. No dipole/bipole necessary.

As for the sub crossover, fortunately, the Three goes pretty low. You might go as low as 60Hz, but it really depends on how well the sub does the upper bass vs how well the Threes play loud enough for you. I'd crossover low if you can, but if you play at very high volumes, you may go back up to 80Hz or so. By 80Hz you should be okay for pretty high output. Just experimenting is the key.

John
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page