Sony Home Theater System vs Klipsch Quintet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have one of those 500 watt Sony Home Theater systems that came with DVD player, Receiver, 5.1 speakers and woofer. I believe it was around $300-400 at the time (Don't have the model # right now because I am at work).

My wife and I moved into a new house and I want to upgrade my speakers and receiver but am on a limited budget around $600.

Will there be a huge difference if I go from these Sony speakers to the Klipsch? I'm just trying to figure out if the performance jump would be noticeable since my new wife isn't too fond of us spend $ to replace a decent setup. :)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGHowie
Will there be a huge difference if I go from these Sony speakers to the Klipsch? I'm just trying to figure out if the performance jump would be noticeable since my new wife isn't too fond of us spend $ to replace a decent setup. :)
Yes; any Klipsch speakers will be far better than what came with a <$500 Sony HTiB! BTW, which speakers are you considering? $600 is really not enough budget for receiver and all speakers. Spend as much as you can upgrading the speakers first. When you can spend more, go for a real subwoofer, but don't limit yourself to Klipsch; there are better bang for the buck choices for budget subs. Last on your list should be the receiver.

W. Lee Hendrick
post #3 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wleehendrick
Yes; any Klipsch speakers will be far better than what came with a <$500 Sony HTiB! BTW, which speakers are you considering? $600 is really not enough budget for receiver and all speakers. Spend as much as you can upgrading the speakers first. When you can spend more, go for a real subwoofer, but don't limit yourself to Klipsch; there are better bang for the buck choices for budget subs. Last on your list should be the receiver.
I'm currently looking at getting the Quintet off eBay along with the Pioneer 815k and possibly waiting until later to upgrade to a better subwoofer. But from what you're saying it seems like I should just spend all the $ on the speakers?

My new family room has a limited amount of floor space so I will probably have to wall mount the front speakers which is why I'm currently looking at the Klipsch satellites.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If you like Klipsch satellites, maybe you should look at the RCX line (RCX-3, 4, 5). They are much better than the Quintets.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But from what you're saying it seems like I should just spend all the $ on the speakers?
If the receiver has all the functionality you need, and enough power, then definately put all the money towards speakers. A few hundred dollars spent on a new receiver might slightly increase the sound quality; a few hundred dollars extra spent on speakers definately will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
If you like Klipsch satellites, maybe you should look at the RCX line (RCX-3, 4, 5). They are much better than the Quintets.
I haven't heard the RCX satellites, but since they're mini versions of my larger reference speakers, and have gotten good reviews, so I would have to agree here.

W. Lee Hendrick
post #6 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
I'm sure those speakers are nicer but I believe they are more than 2x as much as the Quintet II. Ouch.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Also look at the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 packages. They have their own amp (built into the sub), and a really decent subwoofer. $350 from Klipsch, or $300 from newegg.com

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Also look at the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 packages. They have their own amp (built into the sub), and a really decent subwoofer. $350 from Klipsch, or $300 from newegg.com
How do these compare to the Quintets because I always thought the ProMedia series was for computers? But I guess they have the same connections so they could work?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The Promedia Ultra is basically 3" drivers (I believe the Quintet IIs are 3.5") and has a sub that is essentially the RW-8 with regular poly drivers. For $300 and a built-in amp, this is really a crazy deal (or it's equal to say, Klipsch's HT offerings directly above are less-than-stellar deals).

You can still connect to a receiver with pre-outs (using stereo-mini to RCA cables at RatShack) if you want to use to receiver to process DD/DTS. If the speakers are wired directly to the sub, then it will only function as a amplifier to a pre-decoded signal (aka from a soundcard).
post #10 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
For $600, I would go with the HSU ventriloquist VT-12 and the STF-2 sub. It can be had in your price range

HERE

It will KILL the speakers in your HTIB and the Klipsch's you were thinking of as well. Also, you can send them back if you don't like them in 30 days.

Good luck,

Pat
post #11 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM

Buy used. You should be able to find a decent used receiver for $300. It may be a bit harder to come up with speakers for the remaining $300, but if it was my $, I would take advantage of ********** current sale on their ELT speakers. Buy (3) for $150 and try to find an used hsu sub for $200($50 over budget). Or buy (5) ELT's for $250 and save for a sub.

Best of luck. Btw, I would shop audiogon.com before ebay.

Regards,
Jeff
post #12 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 02:24 PM

For $600, JBL SCS 200 and SCS 300 are also worth considering.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan
For $600, I would go with the HSU ventriloquist VT-12 and the STF-2 sub. It can be had in your price range

HERE

It will KILL the speakers in your HTIB and the Klipsch's you were thinking of as well. Also, you can send them back if you don't like them in 30 days.

Good luck,

Pat
How easy is the hookup for these since the front sats have to wire into the center speaker? I need something aesthetically pleasing and easy to wire since I'll most likely play the center speaker in front of the plasma and wall mount the other 2 front speakers.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How easy is the hookup for these since the front sats have to wire into the center speaker? I need something aesthetically pleasing and easy to wire since I'll most likely play the center speaker in front of the plasma and wall mount the other 2 front speakers.
It's tough in a wall mounted application since the wires for L, R, and C all go into the center. The L & R then come out of the center and into the speakers. It is best for people who have their TV's on a stand or entertainment center so the bulk of wires are hidden and wouldn't matter.

I would then consider the ELT's mentioned above. They are pretty highly regarded, but I've never heard them personally.

Pat
post #15 of 17 Old 09-24-2005, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

The ELTs do seem pretty nice but I can get 4 sats for $200 but the center is $300 by itself. Damn, choosing speakers on a limited budget sucks.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The ELTs do seem pretty nice but I can get 4 sats for $200 but the center is $300 by itself. Damn, choosing speakers on a limited budget sucks.

Many say that the perfect 5.0 setup is 5 identical speakers all the way around. What about five of the LR ELT's? If you have space for that instead of the center, you're in business.

Pat
post #17 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've researched the HSUs and while they get awesome reviews I can't get over how ugly they are. Reviewers have also said their build quality leaves something to be desired.

However, the Rocket ELTs are looking pretty good. Do you guys think they're ok for my plasma setup in my family room? Bookshelfs seem like they would be a bit too big.
LL
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page