Athena owners thread. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2499 Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pulled the trigger on the Point 5s at onecall but im on a waiting list they are supposed to be in stock soon I also am about to buy the mirage s8 i already have a yammaha htr 5860 and i hope this system works out well. I hope they dont run out of point 5s at onecall before i get mine. Anybody have this setup or have comments on it thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2499 Old 03-25-2006, 03:29 PM

thanks for all the help..ordered 2 as-fs-2.2 speakers from audio advisor....seen a picture
on another site with them on the side of a plasma on a stand like my setup...they looked
terrific...i just hope the sound is as good as everyone says as i never heard them in person. (no local stores in erie,pa had any)

reman
post #453 of 2499 Old 03-25-2006, 10:42 PM

A quick question for some Athena owners...

I'm about to pull the trigger on two pairs of B1.2s, and a C1.2 as the surrounds and center channel in my 7.1 setup. all I have left to settle on are my two front speakers.

I can get a pair of F2.2s for $50 more than i can get the F1.2s. If i'm unwilling to upgrade the four B1.2s and the C1.2 (which I'm not), would the F2s overpower my system (and specifically, the C1 center channel)? Even though they're better speakers, would they ultimately end up drowning out the other channels?

Basically... should I grab the F1s, or can I get away with the better pair given the rest of my setup?
post #454 of 2499 Old 03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

johnmorgan77 how does the Mirage S8 sound? I just recently received my Point 5 system from Onecall and am thinking of replacing my junk Yamaha HTIB sub with either the Mirage S8 or the Athena AS-P4000. I currently have a Dayton 10" with my Audition series speakers downstairs and I really like the combo, but the Dayton 10" is way too big size wise for my bedroom. How crisp and clean is the bass from the Mirage?

2010 - In Jimbo I Trust. Go Noles!
2010 - If we had a real QB, the West is Ours. Go Niners!
post #455 of 2499 Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Hi all. I am a proud new owner of the point 5s. Today is my day off and time to set up all this goodness (my new reciever and sub came this week too, xr55 and mirage s8 respectively).

I read the first 5 pages of this thread and an hour later I couldnt find my answer so I thought I would just put it out there and see if anyone could answer.

For the wall mounts ... do I need to find a stud in the wall? I am not the most handi man around, so yes I need to ask. The speakers are fairly heavy but I am just not sure. Anyone wall mounted these and what was your experience as far as stability and need or not need to find a stud? Thanks.

And once everything is in place I will give feedback on my system.
post #456 of 2499 Old 03-26-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
gojoshgo81: I mounted my R1.2's using only drywall inserts. The default mounting is two screws per speaker. They haven't fallen on my head yet. I found a great deal on the drywall inserts at Big Lots... a huge pack of many sizes for less than $2.

(Since you say you aren't a handi man- drywall inserts are where you drill a hole thru the sheetrock then hammer in this plastic insert that has some sort of teeth on the outside and is threaded on the inside. Once inserted you screw your mounting screw into the insert which causes it to expand and further engage the teeth. No stud required.)

post #457 of 2499 Old 03-26-2006, 06:22 PM

sweet ..... sorta .... so i go out and get these drywall inserts ... but i get ones that you can just hammer in since i own no power tools (fresh out of college give me a break) .... anyway ... i goto hammer them in ... and pffft bang gong ..... my desire spot for my L/R surround are on studs ... so as you might have guessed ... i smashed those plastic inserts .... not once but twice before i realized there is probably a stud behind there ... lol ....

so after a lot of elbow power ... one speaker mount is up ... and resting to put the other one up. ... man this is a day from hell .....

again ... ill tell you all bout it when its all up and running.
post #458 of 2499 Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Drywall anchors can be a pain, just make sure they are secure. Hitting a stud is actually a good thing. I know you are just out of college but i would really suggest a cheap cordless drill. You will always be needing it around the house for any prodject that rquires a phillips head. If cost is a problem a simple 12 volt from Wal-mart will get you by for a few years. GL gojo and your hassle will be well worth it.
post #459 of 2499 Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojoshgo81 View Post

sweet ..... sorta .... so i go out and get these drywall inserts ... but i get ones that you can just hammer in since i own no power tools (fresh out of college give me a break) .... anyway ... i goto hammer them in ... and pffft bang gong ..... my desire spot for my L/R surround are on studs ... so as you might have guessed ... i smashed those plastic inserts .... not once but twice before i realized there is probably a stud behind there ... lol ....

so after a lot of elbow power ... one speaker mount is up ... and resting to put the other one up. ... man this is a day from hell .....

again ... ill tell you all bout it when its all up and running.

LOL, when you mount the other one, be sure to knock on the wall to determine whether there is a stud there or not.....
And, congrats on the speaks.
post #460 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM

For those who have the micra 6, how long are the cables you get with it?

thanks
post #461 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama View Post

At this point, you will be very hard pressed to find Athena AS speakers at any Best Buy. I went to a nearby store and they had one F1 and one AS- C1. Best Buy had a major clearance a while back.

fujiyama,

Any idea what the BB by you want's for that F1? My local one has just one as well but I've held off purchasing it. I'd like to upgrade my B1's in the front. My biggest issue is finding F1.1's at a decent price plus reasonable shipping.

I'm going to find out what BB wants for the F1.1 by me after work. It might be worth grabbing it now and holding on if the price is right. They also have 2 P400's in the box as well. It works out well in my room while others prefer the P4000 or P6000. If I had room I'd grab one of the P400's as well!
post #462 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Hi All
I have two extra pair of AS-B1's and I was thinking about wiring in one of the pair to the front left and right speakers(also AS-B1's) of my theatre system. What would be the best way to do this and could it hurt my Pioneer 1015?
post #463 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post

fujiyama,

Any idea what the BB by you want's for that F1? My local one has just one as well but I've held off purchasing it. I'd like to upgrade my B1's in the front. My biggest issue is finding F1.1's at a decent price plus reasonable shipping.

They still had the (1) F1-1 at my local BB. $143.99

Couldn't get them to do better. Today!
post #464 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:

fujiyama,

I'm going to find out what BB wants for the F1.1 by me after work. It might be worth grabbing it now and holding on if the price is right. They also have 2 P400's in the box as well. It works out well in my room while others prefer the P4000 or P6000. If I had room I'd grab one of the P400's as well!

in Westland, MI. I asked them to also look in the system to see if any locations in the area had any other AS models left (mainly I was looking for a pair of B1s or B2s), and there was nothing nearby. I decided to go ahead and grab the F1 they had to use as a center with my F2s. The deal wasn't spectacular. I got it for a 100 bucks and it has a slight chip in it (though I thoroughly checked to make sure there was no damage to the tweeter or woofer). They said they would have sold a pair for 150 but it was in service. I didn't need another anyways, and I didn't feel like waiting.

I eventually found a pair of B1s for my rear surround, so I'm set. I just connected my Crown CH2 amp to my HK235 driving the F2 and it sounds amazing. The pro amps are a great addition.
post #465 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by remanhawk View Post

thanks for all the help..ordered 2 as-fs-2.2 speakers from audio advisor....seen a picture
on another site with them on the side of a plasma on a stand like my setup...they looked
terrific...i just hope the sound is as good as everyone says as i never heard them in person. (no local stores in erie,pa had any)

reman

hope you like those new F2.2's...i wouldn't mind owning a pair.

just out of curiousity, what speakers are you using now? are the F2.2's going to be a big upgrade?

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #466 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:

in Westland, MI. I asked them to also look in the system to see if any locations in the area had any other AS models left (mainly I was looking for a pair of B1s or B2s), and there was nothing nearby. I decided to go ahead and grab the F1 they had to use as a center with my F2s. The deal wasn't spectacular. I got it for a 100 bucks and it has a slight chip in it (though I thoroughly checked to make sure there was no damage to the tweeter or woofer). They said they would have sold a pair for 150 but it was in service. I didn't need another anyways, and I didn't feel like waiting.

I eventually found a pair of B1s for my rear surround, so I'm set. I just connected my Crown CH2 amp to my HK235 driving the F2 and it sounds amazing. The pro amps are a great addition.

Thanks for the follow up Fuji. I'd like to upgrade to F1's and move my B1's to the back, but not for $144 a speaker, F1's. I got my B1 front for $80 pr and I doubt the F1's are worth $200 more a pr up front.

Tell me, I'm listining.
post #467 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Alright ..... All physical work was done by late sunday night ... and I did some AVIA calibrating on monday. I watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith and man ... oh man .... so awesome. Gave me chills and almost a tear to my eye how f'ing gorgeous it sounded. And the xbox360 games were fantastic sounding.

Thanks for the help guys.

I do have some questions that are not directly athena related, but if anyone could help I would be grateful.

a) my side surround (i have the athena point 5 to anyone who didnt see in above posts) are 6ft hight (front and center are about 3ft) ... the distance from fronts and sides are about the same distance from listening location but i feel like the sides are not sounding loud enough. is this normal? i calibrated them so they should be set to the right volume ... but i keep wanting to turn up the volume/db for the sides ... im not sure if its a psychological thing that i just want them to stand out since they are the main difference in surround sound vs 5.1 or what? any suggestsion?

b) do any of you get any channels and/or tv shows in 5.1? I am using a cox dvr with optical and it seems even hi def shows only come in surround? is it even possible for tv shows to be in 5.1? btw - i have tried all configuration on my receiver and thats not the problem.
post #468 of 2499 Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the follow up Fuji. I'd like to upgrade to F1's and move my B1's to the back, but not for $144 a speaker, F1's. I got my B1 front for $80 pr and I doubt the F1's are worth $200 more a pr up front.

Tell me, I'm listining.

Just now, I was testing the tones with Avia and guess what? My luck sucks.

I realized that there is something wrong with the AS-F1 I bought from BB. Somewhere around 140Hz, the thing just falls, and then rises and it sounds like there's a lot of vibration at that point. It's not a small dip either. It just falls. Either way it doesn't sound right. I used both the sweep and the warble test as well. It's really bizarre and it I don't think it should be happening. It should be relatively flat all the way to the bottom. My AS-F2.2s don't give this problem.

Unfortunately, I'm just past the return period so I have to go tomorrow and see what they'll do. I'd rather just return it, but I would be upset if now I have to pay shipping to get this to Athena. But that's what I may have to do, unless I want a defective F1.

I would strongly advise everyone to use frequency sweeps right after getting the speakers (especially open items) to see any defects or problems.

Anyone have any idea if this is a problem with the speaker? I checked all the settings, tried all different crossover settings on my HK 235. But maybe, this is how it's supposed to be?

Oh well, I'm glad I didn't sell my AS-C1.2 yet. I checked that out and it didn't give me the problems the F1 did. I'll use that for the time being. I wish I never even bought the F1. I bought the F1 out of worries that the C1 wouldn't 'keep up with the F2s' but this seems like more trouble than it's worth.

As for the floorstanding speakers themselves, they are great. I love the F2s and if my F1 wasn't messed up, I'd be thrilled. However, personally I don't think they are worth $200 more than the B1s. That's a considerable price difference for bass extension, which shouldn't be an issue if you have a decent sub (depending on the sub you have I'd put the 200 bucks towards that, room treatments, or something else). Personally, if you were to go for floorstanders, I'd consider the F2 from audioadvisor. While not cheap, it is probably the best deal around for them (depending on the price difference from the F1, I'd say they are worth it). I believe at the begining of this thread, someone said that the F2s and B1s are among the best deals in their class and I'd agree. Though all models are very good. I likely wouldn't have got the floorstanding speakers, had I not received such a good discount at the time though.
post #469 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 AM

I have recently upgraded my Micra 6 to Audtion series, AS F2.2 and AS C1.2 in the front, B1 in the rear and considering to get a subwoofer to match with the system. My options are P4000 and Velodyne VX-10BV. They have similar spec. and price tag. I tend to have more confidence on Velodyne as it is a well-known subwoofer manufacturer although it is not their top model.

Just wonder if anyone has experience in using either of these subwoofers with the Audition series. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
post #470 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 AM

[/quote]
b) do any of you get any channels and/or tv shows in 5.1? I am using a cox dvr with optical and it seems even hi def shows only come in surround? is it even possible for tv shows to be in 5.1? btw - i have tried all configuration on my receiver and thats not the problem.[/quote]

I have Comcast Digital Cable. The standard channels come in surround, but the digital high def channels come in in 5.1 Dolby Digital (noted both by my receiver using auto format for the sound, and by the program info available in the DVR guide).
post #471 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojoshgo81 View Post

b) do any of you get any channels and/or tv shows in 5.1? I am using a cox dvr with optical and it seems even hi def shows only come in surround? is it even possible for tv shows to be in 5.1? btw - i have tried all configuration on my receiver and thats not the problem.

As mentioned, check the program guide to see if 5.1 is an available format for the specific program. Secondly, I guess I'd call the cable company to see if they are passing the 5.1 format in your area.

From my experience, most cable channels DON'T have DD/5.1 surround. Typically, I see that only premium channels and HD channels have some, but not necessarily all, programs in DD/5.1.

Finally, it sure sounds like a setting issue to me. Is there any configuration option in the DVR setup menu that says digital output is bitstream/raw or PCM?

To get 5.1 it needs to be set to bitstream/raw, not PCM.

I don't have a DVR, but this is a very common oversight in DVD player setup why people don't get DD/5.1 sound.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #472 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:

As for the floorstanding speakers themselves, they are great. I love the F2s and if my F1 wasn't messed up, I'd be thrilled. However, personally I don't think they are worth $200 more than the B1s. That's a considerable price difference for bass extension, which shouldn't be an issue if you have a decent sub (depending on the sub you have I'd put the 200 bucks towards that, room treatments, or something else). Personally, if you were to go for floorstanders, I'd consider the F2 from audioadvisor. While not cheap, it is probably the best deal around for them (depending on the price difference from the F1, I'd say they are worth it). I believe at the begining of this thread, someone said that the F2s and B1s are among the best deals in their class and I'd agree. Though all models are very good. I likely wouldn't have got the floorstanding speakers, had I not received such a good discount at the time though.

I hope things with the F1 turn out ok. I agree that if I'm going to go with the F1's, might as well spend a bit more for the F2's. At the time, Feb-05, BB only had the F1's and B1's. They didn't carry any of the 2's. At BB in that environment, I didn't notice a world of difference between the B1 and F1. Maybe the F1 would have performed better at home.

For the smallish size room I have I think I'll just stay with the B1's and try to find another three of these to complete my side and rear surrounds.
post #473 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

As mentioned, check the program guide to see if 5.1 is an available format for the specific program. Secondly, I guess I'd call the cable company to see if they are passing the 5.1 format in your area.

From my experience, most cable channels DON'T have DD/5.1 surround. Typically, I see that only premium channels and HD channels have some, but not necessarily all, programs in DD/5.1.

Finally, it sure sounds like a setting issue to me. Is there any configuration option in the DVR setup menu that says digital output is bitstream/raw or PCM?

To get 5.1 it needs to be set to bitstream/raw, not PCM.

I don't have a DVR, but this is a very common oversight in DVD player setup why people don't get DD/5.1 sound.

My SA8300hd has audio settings of PCM, Digital and I think something else. I have mine set to digital. Is this the same as bitstream/raw? Not really sure if I am getting 5.1, I really haven't paid much attention to it.
post #474 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

My SA8300hd has audio settings of PCM, Digital and I think something else. I have mine set to digital. Is this the same as bitstream/raw? Not really sure if I am getting 5.1, I really haven't paid much attention to it.

Probably, but without knowing what the "something else" is, it's hard to say for sure.

post #475 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Probably, but without knowing what the "something else" is, it's hard to say for sure.

I will check tonight. If I do have bitstream, would that be preferred instead of digital?
post #476 of 2499 Old 03-29-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

I will check tonight. If I do have bitstream, would that be preferred instead of digital?

My first inclination is to say they are one in the same. But, if you have bitstream or raw as an option I probably would make the change.

post #477 of 2499 Old 04-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Earlier in the thread, someone had mentioned using the Omni Mount Cosmic as a stand for the B1.2's.

Can anyone else comment on this stand/speaker combination?
post #478 of 2499 Old 04-01-2006, 03:29 PM

got my new athenas and i must say makes my whole system sound very nice...
tried both settings, large and small and i agree with mos posters that set
at small sounds better...

reman
post #479 of 2499 Old 04-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

Earlier in the thread, someone had mentioned using the Omni Mount Cosmic as a stand for the B1.2's.

Can anyone else comment on this stand/speaker combination?

I'd also like to know what you guys with B1.2s have for stands? I plan on getting 2 for my fronts, rears are on shelfs and center is on the omni mount on top of the 42a10. I saw some omni mounts on AA but dunno how they would look or if they work?

Also, if anyone has pics.. post em up please!
post #480 of 2499 Old 04-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post

I'd also like to know what you guys with B1.2s have for stands? I plan on getting 2 for my fronts, rears are on shelfs and center is on the omni mount on top of the 42a10. I saw some omni mounts on AA but dunno how they would look or if they work?

Also, if anyone has pics.. post em up please!

Might be too short for some, but good price and fillable.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/PLATF23S
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page