Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

My AS-R1s are mounted on the side walls as well.

I was watching I-Robot on my AS-F2s, AS-C1, and AS-R1s with SVS 25-31CS and Panasonic SA-XR50 and it sounded amazing when I played it loud. I already ordered Ascends to replace these, but man, how much better can it get?

I would say not much better.
I find myself more impressed with my F1's the more I listen to other speakers. I keep going back and forth between them and my Def Tech BP8's in my stereo (while using the others for surround in my HT.) The Def Techs are more accurate and linear, but the Athenas have a lifelike, "reach out and touch it" character that the Def Techs lack.
Even among speakers costing thousands of $, I have yet to hear any that are so much better than the F1's that I would feel justified in dropping that kind of money on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
Front - B2.2
Center - C1.2
Rear - B2.2
Sub - 4000
Surround - none
Receiver - Denon AVR-886

I went to this from a crappy JVC HTIB so obviosuly the difference is absolutely stagering. Everything is so clear and there's finally base! The THX demos shake the house quite effectively. I'm loving them so far!

One thing I'm wondering tho... My receiver has 7.1 capabilities... I'm seriously thinking of picking up 2 of Athena's R1.2 the dipole surround speakers. That would give me 2 R1.2's and 2 B2.2's for my rear and surround speakers. How should I arrange these 4 speakers? Keep the B2.2's as rear or move them to surround and move the r1.2's into the rear position? Any help would be appreciated!

(not sure if I have the speaker location terminology right... what I'm calling "rear" are the speakers perpendicular to the listener and the screen, and I'm calling "surround" the speakers behind the listener.)
post #633 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functor View Post

Front - B2.2
Center - C1.2
Rear - B2.2
Sub - 4000
Surround - none
Receiver - Denon AVR-886

I went to this from a crappy JVC HTIB so obviosuly the difference is absolutely stagering. Everything is so clear and there's finally base! The THX demos shake the house quite effectively. I'm loving them so far!

One thing I'm wondering tho... My receiver has 7.1 capabilities... I'm seriously thinking of picking up 2 of Athena's R1.2 the dipole surround speakers. That would give me 2 R1.2's and 2 B2.2's for my rear and surround speakers. How should I arrange these 4 speakers? Keep the B2.2's as rear or move them to surround and move the r1.2's into the rear position? Any help would be appreciated!

(not sure if I have the speaker location terminology right... what I'm calling "rear" are the speakers perpendicular to the listener and the screen, and I'm calling "surround" the speakers behind the listener.)

Personally, I am quite satisfied with 5.1 and sceptical that adding 2 extra speakers would be worth the $.
By the way, I know what functors are. We studied them in one of my graduate Abstract Algebra classes.
post #634 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jack. What are the dimensions of your room. I am planning the same setup (with different sub).

12'x13'x9'. The couch is about a foot out from one 13' wall, the F2's flank a 7' wide 2.35:1 screen along the opposite wall, slightly toed-in, with the C1 on a cinderblock stand (shrouded in Duvetyne, as is the top of the C1) about 1" below the screen and angled up a bit to optimize the axis. The R1's are 6' up on the side walls with their mids aligned with the back of the couch, which puts their mids about a foot from the back wall and slightly behind listener's heads.

Quote:

I suppose the advantage of the C1.2 is that it will keep the center channel in the center of the soundstage, for the seat(s) within the rotated tweeter's narrow horizontal dispersion. In my case, the favorite seats are outside of this sweet spot and so need something wider.

Yup, you've found the weak spot of horizontal-polarity MTM centers. Interestingly, it's not the rotated tweeter that's the culprit, but the interaction of the mids at the top of their range that's responsible for the cancellations/lobing you hear.
I've found that my listening area is narrow enough that's it's not too much of an issue in my setup on movies. For multi-channel DVD-A/SACD music, where it might draw more attention to itself, I listen alone right in the on-axis sweet spot, so it's not an issue.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #635 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

double...

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #636 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

double...

Double what?
post #637 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Post. The server hung on my first try, so I wound up posting it twice.

I just got finished working out upstairs where I have my trio of lonely F1's stashed. While staring at them, I started to wonder how feasible it would be to just cut off the bottom of one, say just below the port, and lengthen the port to re-tune. Theoretically, it should result in a more rolled-off response than stock, but should timbre-match better, and have better low-end and dynamics, than any of the bookshelves or center, with none of the lobing issues. I'd reseal the bottom, of course, and the new height would fit under my screen. A little backward tilt would put me right on the vertical axis.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #638 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 PM

I guess the key phrase here is "re-tune". As long as you know how to do that, the idea might work. (I love my F1's too much to cut them up!)
post #639 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

I found that on the back wall, 6' high and a few feet to the left and right of the couch (which is about a foot out from the back wall), I got too much direct sound from the tweeter and not a balanced timbre, a little distracting and didn't image well. On the side walls, 6' up and aligned with the back of the couch, slightly behind the listeners heads, the sound is much more balanced. Imaging is better since the mids are direct, but the highs seem all there perhaps due to the reflecting wall close to the rearward-firing tweeter.

I am having a tough time deciding what to do for surrounds because I have a similar setup except there is no side wall on the left side. Currently I am just using the built-in speakers on my SXRD, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a F2.2/C1.2/R1.2 system.

With no left wall for the surround, I am considering the R1.2 on a macromount hanging from the ceiling. But with no back wall I am guessing that the R1.2 won't be that effective.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this setup. Has anyone with a similar room setup ever tried hanging a baffle behind a ceiling mounted R1.2 for it to reflect off of? Would such a baffle have to be so huge to be effective that it would be hideous looking, or could there be small foot-print solution like is?

Or is that just a stupid idea.
post #640 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

I am having a tough time deciding what to do for surrounds because I have a similar setup except there is no side wall on the left side. Currently I am just using the built-in speakers on my SXRD, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a F2.2/C1.2/R1.2 system.

With no left wall for the surround, I am considering the R1.2 on a macromount hanging from the ceiling. But with no back wall I am guessing that the R1.2 won't be that effective.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this setup. Has anyone with a similar room setup ever tried hanging a baffle behind a ceiling mounted R1.2 for it to reflect off of? Would such a baffle have to be so huge to be effective that it would be hideous looking, or could there be small foot-print solution like is?

Or is that just a stupid idea.

In that situation, I would say just to use monopole surrounds such as B1.2's.
post #641 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

In that situation, I would say just to use monopole surrounds such as B1.2's.

Yeah, I suppose so. Are there mounts like the macromount available for the B2.2s?
post #642 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm finally getting a system put together. I've got the Point 5 system and a Pioneer vsx-516 Receiver. I've also got an Oknyo HT-S580 system with the original speakers in another room. I'm thinking of using 2 of the Pont 5 speakers for fronts on each receiver and searching for a used C.5 to complete both front setups then sell the Oknyo HTIB speakers. My question is Surrounds for the 5.1 setups. First impulse was to purchase 4 AS-R1.2s which I know is probably the best route keeping everything the same. But the JBL E10s are less than 1/2 the price. Any thoughts on using JBL E10s for surrounds. I've heard they are good speakers. I'm aware the Athenas are bipolar and the JBLs aren't. Other than that would be the drawbacks. It's for surrounds only and I don't really care about matching as far as looking the same, the AS-R1.2s aren't going to match the looks of the Point 5s anyway. But at less than 1/2 the price I'm seriously considering going with the E10s.
Any thoughts?
post #643 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 PM

I am looking to upgrade to Athenas from an Onkyo 770 HTIB and am struggling with a similar problem with L/R surrounds. My surrounds are/need to be on a brick column(L) and a short
wall(R) that lie in line with and inches behind the seating position. Neither column or wall extends behind the seating position. I'm currently using Omnimount Audio Basics 2 brackets to extend the surrounds slightly away from these surfaces and turn them 90 degrees to fire at and down to the seating position.

I would like to use AS-B1.2s in this position but fear they would be too heavy. Is there a mount compatible with the B1s for this situation? Would the Athena S.5 mounts work in this manner (assuming a single pair can be found these days)? Would retaining the Onkyo surrounds be a big problem with a front stage of B2.2s, C1.2 and AS-P6000/Hsu STF-2?

TIA for your opinions/suggestions!
post #644 of 2499 Old 04-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I'm finally getting a system put together. I've got the Point 5 system and a Pioneer vsx-516 Receiver. I've also got an Oknyo HT-S580 system with the original speakers in another room. I'm thinking of using 2 of the Pont 5 speakers for fronts on each receiver and searching for a used C.5 to complete both front setups then sell the Oknyo HTIB speakers. My question is Surrounds for the 5.1 setups. First impulse was to purchase 4 AS-R1.2s which I know is probably the best route keeping everything the same. But the JBL E10s are less than 1/2 the price. Any thoughts on using JBL E10s for surrounds. I've heard they are good speakers. I'm aware the Athenas are bipolar and the JBLs aren't. Other than that would be the drawbacks. It's for surrounds only and I don't really care about matching as far as looking the same, the AS-R1.2s aren't going to match the looks of the Point 5s anyway. But at less than 1/2 the price I'm seriously considering going with the E10s.
Any thoughts?

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but have you considered getting 4 B1.2s and using those for the fronts and the .5s for the surrounds?
post #645 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangling View Post

How long have you had it up there? No problems?

2 days!
post #646 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post

2 days!

post #647 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but have you considered getting 4 B1.2s and using those for the fronts and the .5s for the surrounds?

Yes I have, would be a nice setup. The problem with that is I'm limited to 11" height for the front speakers.

Also add the polk R15 in on my previous question as they frequently go on sale also.
post #648 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functor View Post

Front - B2.2
Center - C1.2
Rear - B2.2
Sub - 4000
Surround - none
Receiver - Denon AVR-886

on the sides and AS-B1s as the back surround. I think this is pretty typical of those that use bipoles on the sides (I believe THX recommends bi/dipoles on the sides and direct firing speakers on the back)...though since the AS-R1s can fire directly as well, they can be used in the rear...granted, I don't always follow their recommendations, but in this case, I think it works well...
post #649 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Any word on the micra 6 being discontinued? Futureshop (canadian bestbuy) has a flier out this week stating that its on final clearance. Usually this means the item is being discontinued. Is it?
post #650 of 2499 Old 04-21-2006, 11:34 PM

I ordered mine three weeks ago. Too good a deal to pass up. But I'm getting antsy while they re-stock. I sent an e-mail to customer service and a representative said they were on order and he didn't know when they'd get a shipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu_VB View Post

OneCall is having a heckuva sale on 5-speaker Athena Pt 5 system, if you can wait until they restock.

post #651 of 2499 Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 AM

I am in the same boat as you Insider... I sent an email, and got two replies. This was about a week ago, and one said "Literally any day now" and the other said "Approximately two weeks". If now they are saying they don't know.... I don't know if I like the sound of that....
post #652 of 2499 Old 04-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Why wait for what might be a bait and switch price for $298 from Onecall when you finish paying the shipping you will probably be around what Amazon charges with free shipping. Amazon is showing $349 for silver. Also show black and silver in stock from another vendor for $299 plus shipping.

I came across them while I was searching for two more Micra 6 in all silver.
post #653 of 2499 Old 04-24-2006, 08:25 PM

Heck, I got a pair of Point 5's and a .5 Center "Brand New" that I am thinking of selling. I still have the receipt for full warranty too. Send me a PM with an offer.
post #654 of 2499 Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post

Thx Jack, I really like the speakers so I put in a pre-order for two more of the silver ones that just came up on Amazon. These are new models (a call to Athena's c/s today said they may not ship for 4-6 weeks) , the rep said he'd check and email me back if they will match the 6's, but they look the same in the picture. It's free shipping from Amazon, so if the match is too far off I'll send them back and watch for two on Ebay.

Also two thumbs up to "Audio Advisors" they are sending me a fedex pickup and credited me back for my original shipping for the speaker that came in the wrong color . . . can't ask for more than that, nice people to deal with (I bought my Athena Micra 6 speaker package from them in Jan).

If you're willing to purchase a used speaker (in this case speakers that were used as Demos), Audio Advisors lists silver Micra 6 satellites on their "Clearance" list (on the left hand side, top, of the home page) at a discount to the new speakers you have on on pre-order.
post #655 of 2499 Old 04-25-2006, 12:32 PM

It's $199 ($230 after shipping). I'll take my chances and wait to see if they re-stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post

Why wait for what might be a bait and switch price for $298 from Onecall when you finish paying the shipping you will probably be around what Amazon charges with free shipping. Amazon is showing $349 for silver. Also show black and silver in stock from another vendor for $299 plus shipping.

I came across them while I was searching for two more Micra 6 in all silver.

post #656 of 2499 Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt99 View Post

If you're willing to purchase a used speaker (in this case speakers that were used as Demos), Audio Advisors lists silver Micra 6 satellites on their "Clearance" list (on the left hand side, top, of the home page) at a discount to the new speakers you have on on pre-order.

Thx Catt, I thought of that already for used speakers. I checked those you mention at Audio Advisors but for the $14 savings per speaker plus shipping it doesn't make sense to me to buy demo's.

These are tiny speakers and you know if used as a demos they would have been played at blasting levels many times to show how much power they can take for such small speakers.

They should also be priced at a 50% discount for demos IMO and the Micra 6 is already being replaced by another model in a few weeks. Hopefully they will be close to the design I have now.
post #657 of 2499 Old 04-25-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post

I'm pretty sure Athena is coming out with a whole new line or a huge update to the Audition line in the next month or so, it seems likely to me that they have stopped producing the old models and are building an inventory of the newer ones.. The speakers got great reviews and as we can see here people are always looking for some extra speakers to complete their collection, but Athena suddenly stopped being sold at Best Buy and seems to be being blown out everywhere else they are sold. It seems a lot like when the AS started adding the .2's to their line-up. I know that doesn't really help you much, but it should at least prove to you that it's not just some fly-by-night operation.

Thx, I agree and if I can't locate two new Micra 6's in silver, I'll have to go with the new model which looks close by the picture. I actually only need one so if the new ones are a liitle different I'll use that one for the rear center channel surround and keep the other as a spare.
post #658 of 2499 Old 04-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmds View Post

Any word on the micra 6 being discontinued? Futureshop (canadian bestbuy) has a flier out this week stating that its on final clearance. Usually this means the item is being discontinued. Is it?

I spoke with the at Athena in Canada last week and he said they are coming out with new models to replace the Micra 6 line in 4-6 weeks. They look the same to me, on the small ones anyway.

I asked him why Best Buy does not carry their line anymore and he said they are going to be sold online.

In my opinion Best Buy sells most items at list price and they probably squeezed to much of Athena's profit margins away from them in order to sell them in their stores.
post #659 of 2499 Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Does anyone know if Athena is coming out with new models of the point 5s? I've been trying to find some to use as surrounds for some time, and I can't find them anywhere...

thanks!

proud member of AVS Forum's PS3 Folding@Home Team, #55280
post #660 of 2499 Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM

I'm more into music than movies (60/40), but I've finally gotten the itch for a nice home theater set-up. My budget is fairly small...probablly $1000 to $1500 for everthing I need: A/V receiver and 5.1 speakers ( I already have a nice TV and DVD player).

I really like the Athena F2.2 speakers and was planning on building around them as my fronts, but I've read a lot of discouraging feedback on the C1.2 center channel not being able to keep up. How bad is it? Since the cost difference is only about $150 between B2.2 with stands and the F2.2's, I think it's silly to step down in fronts. I'm thinking that at some point Athena will wise-up and make a C2 companion for the F2's, which will be a simple and inexpensive fix to my system at a later time. Using the 1.2 or 2.2 as a center channel really doesn't work in my space, so I really don't wanna go there. The question is...can I live with the C1.2 in the meantime, or is the problem SO bad that I"ll REALLY be unhappy? If I'm using 2-channel 60% of the time, maybe that dwarfs the problem? Any thoughts??
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page