Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2499 Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

IMO, Pioneer mates well with the athena. I've got a pioneer vsx-516 and it's a great combo. The only negitave I've heard when matching a receiver with Athena is some say Yamaha matched with Athena is a little to bright sounding, but then again some people love that, it's just a matter of taste.

Hi, newbie here.

What do you think about Panny Xr-55 with .5MK or Micra6? I have read many posts saying that Panny receiver has a bright sound and may not match well with Athena speakers.

I am planning to get .5MK and then wait for Panny XR-57. Is it a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 PM

Congrats on your .5s!

As far as mounting, I don't think you want to just use drywall anchors as these little suckers are heavy. I centered my mounts on studs and used 3" Drywall screws at an inside angle towards the stud. If you get the angle right, you will be able to hit the stud.

As far as mounting the center, everyone that puts them on the wall just use a shelf. There isn't any mounting hardware or screw holes on the back of this center.

I have my center and fronts sitting on my credenza and my rear surrounds are wall mounted.

Good luck and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackTrayce View Post

Just got my athena point 5 system delivered today. I don't have all the speaker cable and other equipment required to mount them to the walls yet, but I placed the fronts on some glass shelves and hooked them up with my old monster cable to my sony de595 and am way more pleased with the sound than I thought I would be. Until now the best speakers I had were some focal/jmlabs I have in my car stereo. I have only listened to two channel audio from a roku via a digital connection (very high bitrate mp3s) and it sounds great!
So, onto some small questions: for the wall mounts, I don't know if a stud will work due to how wide the bracket is. How have other people mounted theirs? I saw mention of drywall anchors, should that work ok? What size anchors do I need? Also, has anyone found a suitable wall mount solution for the center channel I also posted a thread about placement but haven't received any replies (can't post url since I am a newbie, but it is in the speaker forum "Placement/mounting advice sought" if anyone wants to check it out).

post #723 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anybody see any problems with using a Yamaha HTR-5960 to drive a F2.2/C1.2/IC8 setup?

I was going to go with a Denon AVR-2807, but if I go with the step-down Yamaha I can move up from an SVS PB10 sub to a PB12NSD.

All comments appreciated.
post #724 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am now a bit concerned about mounting. Has anyone just used drywall anchors for point5s? It looks like this is what is shown in the manual. Having to angle screws into the studs worries me a bit and sounds less flexible in terms of placement.
post #725 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ok silly queston. I ordered a C5 about 2 months ago. It came with rubber feet you can stick on the botton if you wish. Today I receivd the complete Point 5 system and it didn't have them. Seems strange they would be included with the C5 single and not the complete set that includes the C5. This really doesn't matter I can get them anywhere. Just asking out of curiousity. Thanks
post #726 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackTrayce View Post

Thanks for the reply, I am now a bit concerned about mounting. Has anyone just used drywall anchors for point5s? It looks like this is what is shown in the manual. Having to angle screws into the studs worries me a bit and sounds less flexible in terms of placement.

I mounted both of my point 5s using drywall anchors. Been up several months so far with no problems.
post #727 of 2499 Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Ok silly queston. I ordered a C5 about 2 months ago. It came with rubber feet you can stick on the botton if you wish. Today I receivd the complete Point 5 system and it didn't have them. Seems strange they would be included with the C5 single and not the complete set that includes the C5. This really doesn't matter I can get them anywhere. Just asking out of curiousity. Thanks

I did not get them with mine.
post #728 of 2499 Old 05-12-2006, 11:47 AM

A Question for owners of Athena subs (I own the P4000):

When auto-calibrating my receiver, the manual recommended that I "Set the volume to halfway and set the crossover frequency to the maximum or Low pass filter off.."

I took this to mean that I jack the crossover on my sub all the way up, which I did during auto-calibration. However, I use F2s as my mains and the marking on this sub for F2s is all way down at the other end of the dial.

The AVR's recommendation and Athena's recommendation seem to contradict each other drastically. Where should I set this crossover at on the sub?

Can I also assume that this entire situation only comes into play if the mains are set to "Small" (which they are)?
post #729 of 2499 Old 05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

A Question for owners of Athena subs (I own the P4000):

When auto-calibrating my receiver, the manual recommended that I "Set the volume to halfway and set the crossover frequency to the maximum or Low pass filter off.."

I took this to mean that I jack the crossover on my sub all the way up, which I did during auto-calibration. However, I use F2s as my mains and the marking on this sub for F2s is all way down at the other end of the dial.

The AVR's recommendation and Athena's recommendation seem to contradict each other drastically. Where should I set this crossover at on the sub?

Can I also assume that this entire situation only comes into play if the mains are set to "Small" (which they are)?

The reason the Athena manual says to set your P4000 crossover to max is because you have a crossover in your receiver and you don't want both of them "working" at the same time. You are essentially trying to bypass the crossover in the sub. The older Athena subs had a separate input to bypass the crossover but the newer ones do not. I have F2s as fronts and my receiver crossover at 80hz.
post #730 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 PM

I just ordered the athena point 5 from onecall.com and i also downloaded the owner manual and it states that i should set the receiver to large speakers. Is it okay to se the receiver to large speakers or should i set it to small?
post #731 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol1 View Post

I just ordered the athena point 5 from onecall.com and i also downloaded the owner manual and it states that i should set the receiver to large speakers. Is it okay to se the receiver to large speakers or should i set it to small?

Small
post #732 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol1 View Post

The frequency response for those speakers does not go very low. Set all speakers to small and let your sub take care of the low frequencies. You can try starting with a crossover of 80hz but my guess is 100hz or 120hz will be best.
post #733 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

The reason the Athena manual says to set your P4000 crossover to max...

I wasn't very clear, and perhaps it doensn't matter, but it was my AVR's manual that made that recommendation.

Is the general consensus that I should set the sub's crossover to the max, as opposed to the "F2" setting at the other end of the dial?
post #734 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't very clear, and perhaps it doensn't matter, but it was my AVR's manual that made that recommendation.

Is the general consensus that I should set the sub's crossover to the max, as opposed to the "F2" setting at the other end of the dial?

Do you have a 2 channel setup w/sub or is it 5.1 or more. If 5.1 or more, what is the Freq response of the other speakers?
post #735 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Do you have a 2 channel setup w/sub or is it 5.1 or more. If 5.1 or more, what is the Freq response of the other speakers?

It's a 7.1 setup..

F2.2's as Mains, down to 35Hz
B1.2's as Surrounds and Back Surrounds, down to 60Hz
C1.2 as Center, down to 60Hz
post #736 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a 7.1 setup..

F2.2's as Mains, down to 35Hz
B1.2's as Surrounds and Back Surrounds, down to 60Hz
C1.2 as Center, down to 60Hz

If your receiver crossover is set to match the F2 position as shown on the sub (about 40hz), your sub will only play frequencies up to that point (but keeping in mind it is a slope and frequencies above it will be played just at a lower level). Not a problem for your fronts but using this crossover for the center and surround means any re-directed bass (since they are set to small) from those speakers in the 40-60hz range is lost and not heard. Those speakers need a crossover of 80hz or more. A good rule of thumb is to set the crossover 1/2 to 1 full octave above the low end response of the speaker. Unless you can set separate crossovers for each of your speakers in your receiver I recommend you set it to 80hz. Think of it this way, what speaker do you think will play a 60hz tone better, your surrounds or the sub?....your sub, so let it do it. The sub will play it better than the F2s as well. I have nearly the identical set-up as you and run an 80hz crossover. And even though the F2s are rated down to 35hz, your in room response is probably much different. Running frequency sweeps in my room my F2s are rolling off around 50hz and my center by 80hz.
post #737 of 2499 Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Unless you can set separate crossovers for each of your speakers in your receiver I recommend you set it to 80hz.

I can.. but at the moment, every channel is simply set to 80Hz.

Should I then just let the amp do all the work and turn the sub's crossover dial to the max?
post #738 of 2499 Old 05-14-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can.. but at the moment, every channel is simply set to 80Hz.

Should I then just let the amp do all the work and turn the sub's crossover dial to the max?

Yes, sub crossover to max to essentially take it out of the processing since you are using the receiver crossover. Since you can set individual crossovers you can try setting your fronts to 60hz and see if that sounds better to you. Leave the others at 80hz.

Some other reading for you...

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...mentbasics.php
post #739 of 2499 Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 PM

I'm about to set up my first system, I got the point 5 mkII and a p4000. I haven't gotten the receiver yet, but that dosn't deal with my question. How I'm going to have it set up, 2 of the seating positions on the left will be right next to the left surround speaker and 2 of the seats on the right will be next to the right surround speaker. My hearing level is around 35", the fronts are going to be placed at around 56" and the backs are going to have to be mounted to the ceiliengs at 96". I was wondering if anyone who is sitting on the far left edge or the far right edge would have a bad experience since they would be so close to one of the back speakers that it's sound would be too loud compared to the others. Can anyone with a system similiar to this one tell me how it is when sitting to either the far right or far left?
post #740 of 2499 Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

well, for the surrounds, you can calibrate it to be at the same volume as the front from where you are sitting..
post #741 of 2499 Old 05-14-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN_plyR View Post

well, for the surrounds, you can calibrate it to be at the same volume as the front from where you are sitting..

I'm still trying to learn everything, but what of I did it like this.

See it's not really the fronts im worried about, it's the backs. I'm worried that the person sitting on the far left will hear too much out of the back left speaker and not enough out of the back right speaker and it's the same for the person sitting on the right side put flipped around. I can't make one surround louder, because then noone could sit on that side. I've never had a surround sound system and I don't know if I could be over exaggerating all of this. Say I have it calibrated from the center position, then would it be that much worse to be sitting on the far left or right ends? I'm hoping that it would still be good, just not as great as the center position. I'm hoping that it's not so bad that the person who's sitting on the left or right edge would rather have the surround sound turned off.
post #742 of 2499 Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Most, not all but most audio singlals are sent to the left and or right surround speaker at different levels or even one and not the other. A person sitting closer to the left surround will also hear the right because usually differnt sounds or levels of sound are coming from it and vice versa. Rarely will the same sound be sent to both surrounds at the same level, explosions and things like that maybe but that wouldn't be noticeable.

Set your speakers up to the most common, usually centered level that you view from. after it's set up if their is an occation where you want to increase or decrease a certain speaker level your remote shoud provide easy access to do this. Everything should work out fine. Enjoy your system. I just got the Point 5s with the AS-P4000 sub and a receiver set up a few weeks ago and I throughly enjoy it. Good Luck
post #743 of 2499 Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Well my wife vetoed the rear speakers for our living room in the new house.

Does anyone have any experience with using an AS-B2.2 as the center channel? I ask b/c now I've got two AS-B2.2s just sitting here not getting any use. I've always found the AS-C1 very underwhelming compared to my AS-F2.2s. Would using the AS-B2.2 actually be better?

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #744 of 2499 Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, when using AS-F2.2 at the front, AS-C1 in the center, a AS-P300 (which i NEED to replace) as the sub, and a Denon AVR-2105 reciever...I have a couple of questions I've never really asked.

What would be a good crossover setting to use? I've been at 80Hz just b/c that was the default. I set this on my reciever and then plug into the Sub Input on my P-300. Should I be going into the Direct Input instead? And if I'm setting the crossover on my reciever, I'm assuming that just cranking the Sub crossover to 120Hz has no effect, right? What would you recommend I do about the LFE setting on my Denon? Should I run it to the AS-F2.2 AND the P300? Or should I just set the LFE below 80 to go to my sub only? It seems like the AS-F2.2's should wail on the P300, so setting it to "LFE+MAIN" would be the best bet...but I'm no expert.

post #745 of 2499 Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

80hz is fine.... maybe a tiny bit lower for the fronts since those babies are F2.2's
post #746 of 2499 Old 05-16-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Also, when using AS-F2.2 at the front, AS-C1 in the center, a AS-P300 (which i NEED to replace) as the sub, and a Denon AVR-2105 reciever...I have a couple of questions I've never really asked.

What would be a good crossover setting to use? I've been at 80Hz just b/c that was the default. I set this on my reciever and then plug into the Sub Input on my P-300. Should I be going into the Direct Input instead? And if I'm setting the crossover on my reciever, I'm assuming that just cranking the Sub crossover to 120Hz has no effect, right? What would you recommend I do about the LFE setting on my Denon? Should I run it to the AS-F2.2 AND the P300? Or should I just set the LFE below 80 to go to my sub only? It seems like the AS-F2.2's should wail on the P300, so setting it to "LFE+MAIN" would be the best bet...but I'm no expert.

I would stick with the 80hz xover.
Plug your sub cable into the direct input. This bypasses the sub crossover and volume dial since you are using your receiver to take care of this.
Leave the LFE for the sub only. You don't want to be sending 20hz signals to the AS-F2's.
The P300 may not be the greatest but I bet the bass is still much better than the ASF2's since it has a bigger drive and more power. So don't use the LFE+main setting. This setting actually gives you twice the bass.
post #747 of 2499 Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

The P300 may not be the greatest but I bet the bass is still much better than the ASF2's since it has a bigger drive and more power.

The P300 has a single 8" driver. The F2's have two 8" drivers each. (You may right about it having more power, depending on what is driving the F2's.)
post #748 of 2499 Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input guys...I'm actually trying to keep it all in this thread, and I posted a new question there - wanna help? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678068

post #749 of 2499 Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 AM

Greetings,

Instead of purchasing a C1, I bought a pair of B1s to match my front main B1s. I experimented with using one vs. two B1s, portrait vs. landscape, T-M vs. M-T, below vs. above vs. both sides vs. both above and below my 27" TV. The greatest difference that my old ears could hear was in the higher freqs. These are the setups that pleased my ears the most:

Best: One B1 placed upside down (portrait, M-T) on top of the TV. No WAF, yet (moving the speaker behind the TV on a stand or shelf or wall mount might gain WAF).

Better: Two B1s placed end to end with their midranges next to each other (landscape, T-M-M-T). I wired these in series since my amp cannot handle 4 ohms. Not much WAF either.

Good: Two B1s placed one on each side of the TV (portrait, T-M), wired in series. This has WAF.

Hope this helps someone or at least encourages some further experimentation towards finding the ultimate location(s) for B1s as center channel speakers.

Sincerely,
Leo W
post #750 of 2499 Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 AM

Liked: 14
Audio is my hobby, and I love to experiment. This morning, I hooked up a system consisting of a pair of WS-15's and an AS-P400 sub in my stereo. I will listen to it tonight and report back. It would surprise me a lot if it can displace my reference Def Techs, but it seems likely that it will sound very good. The tiny cabinets will enhance imaging and eliminate resonance and diffraction. The only potential issue is integration with the sub (which I have placed dead center to eliminate issues with directional bass.)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page