post #901 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogreg View Post

The C.5's have absolutely nothing on the top, back, or bottom to provide the ability to mount on a wall. You would have to fabricate something if you really wanted to mount them. They're mainly intended to sit above or below your display as a center channel. The S.5's, on the other hand, have some decent mounting brackets that come with the speakers.
I think you meant to say the system included C.5x1 & S.5x6. Otherwise, you're getting 7 C.5 speakers without the ability to mount any of them (not to mention the fact that the C.5's are mainly intended for center channel use only)

You're right, the center speaker will just sit on top of my tv, it's the 4 surround S.5s I meant to talk about, as the front S.5's will be on stands.
BTW, let me get this straight, the Athena Point 5 System actually comes with 2 mouting brackets INCLUDED? You mean just the 2 mounting brackets I bought will be enough for the extra 2 rear speakers and I don't have to buy any more brackets? That's great news if true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

You maybe should have snatched up 4 Polk R15s when they were on sale(just about once a month on outpost) and get the Csi25 later when it went on sale. Others disagree, but to me the Polks seen very UNbright and they may therefore work well with the Panasonic Digital recievers. You can get them less than $52 a pair, and you can always buy the center new on ebay if you don't want to wait for the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualcnc View Post

I am not happy with my Point 5's. Seem too bright with my XR57 and bright room. I have 3 or 4 days left to return to xxxx.com but they have a 15% restock fee. That's $30, plus the $30 each way shipping = $90 "loss". Which option might bring best return (least loss):

1. Return to xxxx.com
2. Sell on Ebay
3. List here (after paying $35.00 to join)
4. Give as gift (to relative)

Tried Craig's list, no one seems to look much there.... Be nice not to have more than a $30 loss... but that may be wishful thinking looking at Ebay prices.

They are great speakers for music! But HT performance let me down. Just ordered a set of Orbs, will post feedback once I try those out.

post #903 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White View Post

You're right, the center speaker will just sit on top of my tv, it's the 4 surround S.5s I meant to talk about, as the front S.5's will be on stands.
BTW, let me get this straight, the Athena Point 5 System actually comes with 2 mouting brackets INCLUDED? You mean just the 2 mounting brackets I bought will be enough for the extra 2 rear speakers and I don't have to buy any more brackets? That's great news if true.

My Point 5 came with 4 mounting brackets for the 4 s.5. I however didn't use them because these speakers are too heavy for a wall imo I have the 2 fronts on my entertainment center and my rears on Sanos Stands.
post #904 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualcnc View Post

No not broken in, it would probably take me a 3 months to put 100 hours on them. I put maybe half hour on them. I am fairly happy with the Paradigm CC and 70 surrounds I have, and an upgrade to Cinema 110's is my next step if the Orbs I ordered today don't work out."...

So let me get this correct you have only listened to them for 1/2 hr? And in that 1/2 hour you listened to music HDTV and a movie on it to come to the conclusion that you don't like them? Does your receiver have any settings to reduce the treble on it?
post #905 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

to visualcnc
The S.5s are bright speakers I tried them with a xr55 for a week and didn't like the sound. The sound will lessen in brightness the more you break them in, especially if you have only a half an out on them, that's nothing. I doubt it will change enough to make them desirable with your xr55 if they to your disliking this much now though. Might want to try the Polk R series for a budget speaker as they are the complete oposite of the Point5s and you might find the sound more to your likeing. I love the Point5s with my Onkyo and Pioneer receivers though. I would leave them playing 24/7 for the breakin period or at least while your awake to reduce the break in time. I did this while I was at work, reduces the break in time alot and gave the dog something to listen to while I was gone. If you do deside to get rid of them I would recommend ebay or personally selling them as they are discontinued and just sold out at the last retailer that I personlly know of that carried them. You'll probably take a loss on them but I seriously doubt the loss would = the loss of double shipping + restocking fee.

to Jack White
I don't understand your multiplication tables listed at all for speaker but as for mounting the C.5. You'll have to mount a shelf or shelf system to the wall and sit it on that, they have no mounting holes whatsoever, be sure and leave at least 3" clearance between the wall and the back of the speaker as they are rear ported, same goes with the S.5s but the included mounts will take care of the distance so nothing to worry about there. Each S.5 comes with it's own mounting bracket so you won't have to worry about anthing there and it's a very nice mounting system also, one of the best I've seen, especially inlcuded with the speakers.
post #906 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellowfan View Post

My Point 5 came with 4 mounting brackets for the 4 s.5. I however didn't use them because these speakers are too heavy for a wall imo I have the 2 fronts on my entertainment center and my rears on Sanos Stands.

What do they weigh, like 6 lbs? I would think if you use a stud finder to find studs in the wall, and screw the brackets into the stud, then weight should not be a problem.
post #907 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White View Post

What do they weigh, like 6 lbs? I would think if you use a stud finder to find studs in the wall, and screw the brackets into the stud, then weight should not be a problem.

Jack is correct. They weigh 6 lbs. I made sure one side was screwed into the studs and then used the plastic wall anchors on the other side which were rated to hold 40 lbs because the brackets were wider than 1 1/2". The mounting brackets are very nice and sturdy. I used 3" screws to screw into the studs. These things are not going anywhere.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
post #908 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 PM

or just use a decently rated set of drywall anchors, I used some rated at 200lbs max and have had NO probs. Yes I know 200 lbs was overkill, lol, but it was what I had laying around.
post #909 of 2499 Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The s.5s are light for a bookshelf speaker, drywall will handle them no problem if you use and anchor although finding a stud is always optimal eather will work.
post #910 of 2499 Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I own these speakers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used some serious drywall anchors. Talk about falcon grip.

Question by a newbie though. What is the best way to connect the speaker wire to the speakers (professional)? Do I just unscrew them and slide the wire in and screw it tightly (after stripping the wire of course)? Just seemed a little primitive. Also I will be getting a Pio elite or Denon and they say they use banana plus. How do I get around this? Are the same kind of unscrew slide in and screw tight configuration on the back of these receivers?

Also, I think I made a big mistake although I prolly had no choice. My room is 12x13 but because of the bed and desk (college student in an apartment) I was forced to have the front speakers about ear hieght off the floor BUT they are 4 ft apart. The center is about 2ft above the two fronts. Did I serious mess this up and should I have the rears ear high using the stands because the two seater couch that I have is against the way (10 ft from the fronts) and has a window 10 inches to the right side when sitting?

Need some serious help.

BTW have the AS-P4000, I hear it should go as close to the fronts as possible. Is that true?
post #911 of 2499 Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

I own these speakers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used some serious drywall anchors. Talk about falcon grip.

Question by a newbie though. What is the best way to connect the speaker wire to the speakers (professional)? Do I just unscrew them and slide the wire in and screw it tightly (after stripping the wire of course)? Just seemed a little primitive. Also I will be getting a Pio elite or Denon and they say they use banana plus. How do I get around this? Are the same kind of unscrew slide in and screw tight configuration on the back of these receivers?

Also, I think I made a big mistake although I prolly had no choice. My room is 12x13 but because of the bed and desk (college student in an apartment) I was forced to have the front speakers about ear hieght off the floor BUT they are 4 ft apart. The center is about 2ft above the two fronts. Did I serious mess this up and should I have the rears ear high using the stands because the two seater couch that I have is against the way (10 ft from the fronts) and has a window 10 inches to the right side when sitting?

Need some serious help.

BTW have the AS-P4000, I hear it should go as close to the fronts as possible. Is that true?

Your receiver will have the same type speaker terminals as the speakers. It's your choice about connections, yes to use bare wire you just strip the ends and unscrew the terminal stick the bare wire in the terminal and tighten it down. Personally I woulnd't use banana plugs unless you're going to be disconnecting and reconnecting them often, that make it easier in that aspect, or biwiring, otherwise it's just and extra uneeded expense and will make no audible difference, imo, yes bare wire connections are premitive lol but it makes as good or better of a connection as using plugs, in short fire is fire, weather you get it from rubbing to sticks together or lighting a bic, it's still hot.

As far as your center being higher than the rest of your speakers that's no big problem, placement options sometimes can't be helped, you can always experiment with tilting the back of the center speaker to aim at the seating position at the same height as the others.

Placing the sub in line with the front speakers is usually optimal but again sometimes this can't be helped, get it as close as you can and then experiment with different placement options as to what sounds best.
post #912 of 2499 Old 07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

So my fronts being 4 ft apart will be ok?
post #913 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 AM

I have two old Big Monitor Polk Speakers up front and 2 Polk Surround that are 7 years old in the back(think I paid 400 for the surround).

I am thinking of upgrading to Athena my room is 12x15 what do you guys recommend?
post #914 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 01:10 PM

I need to buy the little black plastic mounting bracket for the .5 speakers. Does anybody know where i can buy one. I refuse to pay 17.00 for one from Athena. I have the metal screw/bolts, but the black plastic, but one was missing from the package. Can't find the receipt, so i have to pay to get it
post #915 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey I have two and I am not using it. I can send you one if you wish.
post #916 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 PM

I sent you a PM---Sounds Great
post #917 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 PM

Great Boards---Thanks Goes out to "Management" for lending a helping hand to a fellow Athena Owner in need! Now it is time to put it all together over the evil eyes of my lovely spouse.
post #918 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Now this is what this board is for. I was getting on here to let hime know I have one as well, and management beat me to it. I guess it's a good thing I usually keep all the left over parts.
post #919 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 PM

I am so happy to find this post as recently I purchased 3 pair of AS-B2 as 6.1
Has been tried so many speakers before, but never find the satisfaction with the price vs the quality it deliver ~~

Want to ask you guys' opinion what AV receiver should I choose.
At the moment, I'm using my Sony STR-DA777ES... but it's getting old.
I love this baby with the new AS-B2, the surround effects are perfect.. but because of these, I may want to look for another new toy....

1). The amp can't power on by the remote (it is still okay, as I can power it off manually, but my wife is not happy...)
2). it won't support 6.1 DTS_ES (only virtual)
3). No video up-scaling, no DVI/ HDMI output (as I got OPPO 971 and a HTPC, struggling how to connect to my plasma and projector...
4). No "6-Channel pass-thru"....
5). No video upscalling... (i.e. VHS --> RGB / DVI / HDMI)...

Does anyone have recommendation ?
Many thanks
post #920 of 2499 Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I e-mailed Athena in order to find a dealer that carries their product. So far their web site dealer locator only lists BB. I've spoken with 3 BB stores and all told me they do not carry Athena in the stores anymore. So I've never seen or heard them.

If the S.5 spkrs are being discontinued, is something new supposed to take their place?
post #921 of 2499 Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I e-mailed Athena in order to find a dealer that carries their product. So far their web site dealer locator only lists BB. I've spoken with 3 BB stores and all told me they do not carry Athena in the stores anymore. So I've never seen or heard them.

If the S.5 spkrs are being discontinued, is something new supposed to take their place?

I hope Athena doesn't end up putting themselves out of business due to lack of distributors. I think they are down to audioadvisor and *******.
post #922 of 2499 Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM

Wow. Apparently I am not allowed to mention the name of that distributor! (I typed it, and it got replaced by *s.)
post #923 of 2499 Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 AM

How would an Bic H-100 sub sound w/ my current setup. 2 F2s, 1 C1, and 2 R1s. Are there any other subs in the price range that would do a better job?
post #924 of 2499 Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I called Athena this morning for dealer info. Was referred to their rep in my area. I called & explained was looking for a local dealer. They confirmed BB does not have in stores anymore. Rep said he'd get back to me with info. Now after 5pm and no word from him. So I guess I won't be shopping for these this weekend.

Neither Athena nor rep knew about a replacement model for the .5.

I always find it puzzling when you are interested in a product & the manufacturer cannot tell you where to buy it.
post #925 of 2499 Old 07-09-2006, 02:03 PM

This was probably discussed somewhere, but has anyone tried a surround setup made up of 5 AS-C1 centers and a AS-P400 ? I already have 2 of the centers and the sub also, all of the original series. I'm thinking of a surround setup for my PC. I understand this center can stand verticle as well
Thanks
post #926 of 2499 Old 07-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by type456 View Post

How do you like your Athena setup? What's your room size, receiver, sub, speakers that you are using and what is your usage percentage (movies/music). Are you planning on upgrating anytime soon? If so, why and what is your upgrade path? What speakers have you owned prior? How would your rate your setup on a scale of 1 to 5? Feel free to include coments on individual components, things you like or dislike.

My very modest setup (but I like it ):

Room: 12x12
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D811S
Sub: Acoustic Research PR808
Speakers: Point 5 MKII
Usage: 50/50 Music/movies
Upgrade path: Putting together an all black Point 5 system
Owned prior: Polk, Cambridge SoundWorks, Klipsch, Nht
Scale of 1 to 5: 4 /5

My components are on order:

Receiver: Onkyo 503 -- refurbished with warranty, shoponkyo
Speakers: Athena Point 5 -- new in boxes, eBay
Subwoofer: Athena P4000 -- audioadvisor. New.

Will come back to this thread after hookup in about a week.

Glad this thread exists. I'll have questions.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam
Groucho to Margaret Dumont:
"Will you marry me? Do you have any money? Answer the second question first."
post #927 of 2499 Old 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboh View Post

Cheers,

Sam

That is my exact setup. I have had it for a couple of weeks now. I love it. Hope you enjoy.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
post #928 of 2499 Old 07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboh View Post

Cheers,

Sam

Hey I have the same speakers and the same sub both from the exact same places. How crazy is that. I have the speakers hooked up and the Sub sitting in my room. I just ordered my receiver. I was going to get that exact receiver but decided to spend the extra money and get the Pioneer Elite VSX 52tx.

Is that avr too much? Its rated at 110 Watts per Channel. I know the speakers are for 100 Watts each. Did I over do it or can I just not blast my speakers and still be good? After reading the manual it seems to me that the 52tx had a lot of options when it comes to calibrating the speakers. Plus its THX certifed lol if that means anything. Has a lot of decoders too, again if that means anything. Help would be great in analyzing the merits of this receiver. But yeah thats why I got it or did I not have to?

Hopefully wehn can compare setups because I won't get mine until Friday
post #929 of 2499 Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I received an e-mail response from Athena on where to buy their spkrs - Best Buy online. They said there is no retailer in the Chicagoland area where I can go to audition them. Of course BB online only lists some of their spkrs.

Speakers really need to be heard. And once you get them home they sound different anyway. Which means you need a source with a good exchange or return policy.

Where the heck do most people go to see & listen to Athena? Are most purchases being done online with the hope that they will sound right for you?
post #930 of 2499 Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Well I received an e-mail response from Athena on where to buy their spkrs - Best Buy online. They said there is no retailer in the Chicagoland area where I can go to audition them. Of course BB online only lists some of their spkrs.

Speakers really need to be heard. And once you get them home they sound different anyway. Which means you need a source with a good exchange or return policy.

Where the heck do most people go to see & listen to Athena? Are most purchases being done online with the hope that they will sound right for you?

I bought my Athenas back when BB had them in stock and I could audition them. Now they are competing with ID brands directly. I will be surprised if they manage to stay in business that way, unless they start selling direct.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page