Athena owners thread. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2499 Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question for my fellow Athena owner's, I currently have a 5.1 setup and am thinking about getting a couple more .5's to make it 7.1.

Can anyone comment on if it is really worth it to go to 7.1?

FYI - my HT use is about 95% movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2499 Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I recently added two more Athenas to my system to got from 7.1 to 5.1. While it is more than a subtle difference it is not a huge difference. To me it is hard to explain what the difference is but it is there and I definitely prefer the 7.1 setup. I think it depends on your room. If you have say 4-5ft or more behind you to place the back surround and can put the other surrounds directly to the side I would do it.
post #183 of 2499 Old 01-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I recently added two more Athenas to my system to got from 7.1 to 5.1. While it is more than a subtle difference it is not a huge difference. To me it is hard to explain what the difference is but it is there and I definitely prefer the 7.1 setup. I think it depends on your room. If you have say 4-5ft or more behind you to place the back surround and can put the other surrounds directly to the side I would do it.

I would have about 4 feet behind me. I don't know if it is just hype but the ASA feature on my receiver looks intriging:

"Advanced Speaker Array (ASA)
ASA is a proprietary THX technology which processes the
sound fed to 2 side and 2 back surround speakers to provide
the optimal surround sound experience. When you set up
your home theater system using all eight speaker outputs
(Left, Center, Right, Surround Right, Surround Back Right,
Surround Back Left, Surround Left and Subwoofer) placing
the two Surround Back speakers close together facing the
front of the room as shown in the diagram will provide the
largest sweet spot. If for practical reasons you have to place
the Surround Back speakers apart, you will need to go THX
Audio Set-up screen and choose the setting that most
closely corresponds to the speaker spacing, which will reoptimize
the surround sound-field.
ASA is used in three new modes; THX Select2 Cinema, THX
MusicMode and THX Games Mode"
post #184 of 2499 Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Here is a link to a thread discussing THX 7.1 speaker placement.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=627608

I don't have a THX receiver and have my back surrounds about 5ft apart. I don't think many people around here agree with placing them next to each other even though THX recommends it.
post #185 of 2499 Old 01-22-2006, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm a very happy Athena owner. I purchased my setup back in August and really have been very impressed by it, considering how much I paid all told.

My setup is as follows..

Receiver: Pioneer 1015TX
Center: AS-C1.2
Front: AS-F2.2 x 2
Surrounds: AS-R1.2
Sub: SVS PBISD12/2

Having read the comments in this thread, I must agree in regard to my center channel not being able to keep up w/ my fronts. But it was easy to compensate for with the level, and all is well. I've got upgraditis, and may end up putting together an Axiom setup... we'll see though.
post #186 of 2499 Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM

I would love to pick up a pair of AS-R1's but they seem to be about impossible to find. Anyone know where you can get these?
post #187 of 2499 Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM

I received 4 AS-B1's and 1 AS-C1 for Christmas--my first surround sound setup. I also got an Onkyo 803 receiver. Now, though, I've got a problem with speaker placement.

The AS-B1 surround speakers are too large for finding a good placement in the room. The back wall is a wall of shelving, but the Athena speakers are too tall to set upright on the shelves. Would I be sacrificing anything if I laid them sideways?
post #188 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 03:14 AM

I am trying to decide which way would be the best bang for the buck....I will be going to a 7.1 setup and need to add 2 speakers.

Does the floor models give much better sound quality? I have a fairly small room and a decent sounding sub (at least to me), so would getting a couple of the F1's give much more over the B1's than more bass and more power?

My other option is to get a couple of R/1's for the sides (due to the wife factor, placing the .5's on the side won't work because they stick out too far, lol).
post #189 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:

My other option is to get a couple of R/1's for the sides (due to the wife factor, placing the .5's on the side won't work because they stick out too far, lol).

I just bought a pair of R1s, and they are much bigger than the .5s, so it is my guess that if your wife doesnt like the look of the .5s, forget about the Rs, they are much bigger. I am having the same issue with the fiance, she hates the size of the setup I have (all athena, she wanted me to go with the micras, and instead I went with 2 f2.2s, 2 B1s, 2 R1s and a C with a P400 sub...she is going to have to deal with it though...or should I say I am going to have to deal with it...depends on perspective.)
post #190 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer45 View Post

I just bought a pair of R1s, and they are much bigger than the .5s, so it is my guess that if your wife doesnt like the look of the .5s, forget about the Rs, they are much bigger. I am having the same issue with the fiance, she hates the size of the setup I have (all athena, she wanted me to go with the micras, and instead I went with 2 f2.2s, 2 B1s, 2 R1s and a C with a P400 sub...she is going to have to deal with it though...or should I say I am going to have to deal with it...depends on perspective.)

It is not really the size of the .5 that is the problem, it is more the bracket and how far the speaker sticks out from the wall. It looks like the R1 would be a bit more pleasent to look at and stick out less.

It appears that the R1 can be "hung" flat against the wall, correct?
post #191 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:

It appears that the R1 can be "hung" flat against the wall, correct?

That is correct...and they have a bracket built-in for hanging on the wall.
post #192 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 01:26 PM

oh, i wasnt aware that the point 5s stuck out so far with the bracket. the Rs can be mounted, like chas said. also, they have a little rubber stopper that can be removed in order to angle it a bit downward (granted it doesnt do a whole lot, but it can help a bit).
post #193 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM

Probably a dumb question but...do these have black covers on them?
Every picture I have seen is without a cover.
post #194 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes the R1s come with a black cover just like the rest of the Audition series.

Jeremy Gillow
post #195 of 2499 Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I'm now the proud owner of some .5's. My main setup is Mirage Omni 260's, Omni CC, Omni FX's and a Paradigm PS12. After finding out that the same company makes both brands (energy as well), I decided to give them a try. I needed to replace my old setup in the master bedroom. All I can say is that I was shocked at how nice the .5's sound for their meager $200 price tag. A tad bright, but extremely detailed. While I love my Mirages for music, I find the center channel lacking alot in deep tones for movies. Just not a warm sound for movies. I'm left wondering what their floor standers would sound like in comparison to my Mirages. Any comments from those who have demoed both?
post #196 of 2499 Old 01-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Well, I made the leap and bought a couple AS-R1.2 (after a nice argument with the wife, lol). I hope 7.1 is worth it!
post #197 of 2499 Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM

And continuing with the theme of the previous two posts I finally found the S.5s that I've been looking for. Bought them new at Best Buy for 30 dollars each. 60 bucks doesn't seem too bad I say . Got them connected and all I have to say is when watching the SAM scene in Behind Enemy Lines.
post #198 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 AM

I had a question about the mounts that come with the athena point 5 speakers. Do these mounts allow you to angle the speakers down and to the side or do they only allow you to mount straight out from the wall?

Also, how far out from the wall do they sit?

It'd be great if someone could take a picture from the side of their mounted speaker but I'd appreciate any details anyone could provide regarding the mounts.
Its hard to get an idea of the size of these speakers from the pictures on the sites of retailers.
post #199 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
you can angle the speakers up & down or left & right. the speakers sit about 4 -5" off the wall. you'll need drywall anchors to mount them, as the speakers are pretty heavy for their size. the brackets are very sturdy...a really good design that anyone can put together in just a few minutes.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #200 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 10:00 AM

Like many here, I came into this forum with the intention of buying a HTIB and was quickly convinced I could do much better.

Finally received all my new stuff and hooked it all up last night for the first time. Family watched War of the Worlds and we were literally laughing and squealing out loud at the sound experience. Thanks to everyone for helping me choose Athenas. I am very impressed. We have a large room (24' X 20' with high ceilings) and these things fill it nicely...the subwoofer is fantastic.

One speaker (an F1.2) arrived with one of the plastic grill sockets broken off. It's not visible so I'm not too concerned. I have emailed BestPriceAudioVideo.com asking for a replacement grill, but no response yet.

One question regarding "break-in". Paperwork says 80-100 hours...is this just to get the best sound, or is there a possiblity of damaging the speakers if dialed up before that time? We never went above -18db last night...but I do have a 15 year old boy...so I figured I better ask...

Oh, and also...I have the F1.2 (front L&Rs) set as "large" and all the others set as "small". Crossover values are set at 40 for the F1.2 and 60 for the C1.2 and B1.2 which is the spec low range for each. They are the values my receiver manual suggested but I am interrested in everyone's input. I also have the sub crossover adjustment set on the back of the AS-P6000 to the "F1.2" position. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #201 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Like many others I recently bought B1.2s and C1.2 for my home theater and am extremely happy with its performance. I have a question regarding the B1.2 - Can they be bi-wired/amped? I heard it will prov
post #202 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM

proud owner of Athena WS series

tried the WS100 at best buy, and loved the clarity

got my WS100's and P4000 setup, waiting to setup the WS60 and WS15 over the weekend
post #203 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 PM

ok fellow athena owners...I need some help here. I have a handful of speakers and now I need to set up two systems. What I plan to do is list everything that I have and then hear your advice on what the best way to set up the systems are. I need one main system for my basement rec room/home theater (used for 75% movies and 25% music) and another system for either my living room or my bedroom. My rec room is small, only about 11x10 (that is my theater area, the entire room is about 11x20)(the other portion is filled with a pool table, bar and dart board). I am leaning toward putting the other system in the living room, which is 11x16.

So here is what I am working with:
4 B1s
2 R1s
2 F2.2s
1 C1
1 P400 sub
Yamaha 5760 receiver
Pioneer 455 receiver (this is quite old, and obviously the weak link...it will be replaced as soon as some funds come in, probably in a few months)

This is what I was thinking...
Option 1 - rec room system using the yamaha receiver, the 4 B1s, C1 and P400. Then the other system would be whats left over, with the need to add a center channel at some point.
Option 2 (this one the wife likes better since the big speakers would be out of the living room and in the basement)- rec room yamaha with F2.2s, C1, and R1s with or without sub (per your advice), and the Bs as a 4 speaker system with or without the sub in the living room (could either add another B or a C for a center later on). Neither of these systems will ever be blasting, mainly casual use for music and movies. For option 2, I was thinking maybe the F2s with 3 Bs as a possibility as well...

Please help...I need it!!! Once I make this decision, then I will need some advice as to settings (small vs. large, crossover...this stuff is extremely foreign to me). I am looking for a way to balance these two systems out, however the basement system will get the most use. Logical thinking tells me to seperate the towers and the sub for better bass balance, but then again I am new so my logic may not be so logical after all.

thanks in advance.
post #204 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like option two. Leave the subwoofer with the four B1s and run the F2s, C1, and R1s together. If you do things this way you can set the F2s as large speakers, the C1 and R1s as small with a crossover of 80 Hz, and the subwoofer turned off so the bass is redirected to the F2s. In the living/bed room you can run the B1s with a crossover of 80 Hz and have the redirected bass go to the subwoofer (if the Pioneer 455 has bass management).

Jeremy Gillow
post #205 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 PM

I recently upgraded my athena micra 6 setup (now a 7.1 system w/ all micras) with the AS-P4000 sub. The sound, while definitely low, is almost too low without any noticeable punch, just a lot of distortion in most movie sequences (it basically just rumbles). Music sounds fine but it could be better in the higher low frequencies (like around 120Hz). Movies seem to just playback the really low frequencies without much middle ground. First off, is this normal for the sub and smaller setup?

Second, I was wondering what would be the best way to smooth out this problem given my relatively small room setting (about 120 sq ft.) I'm pretty sure that the easy solution would be to get two of the audition B1s for the front so the sub can better match the playback levels. If i do, should i also get an upgraded center as well? A number of people have told me to work on adjusting the crossover on the sub (some say turn all the way up, others say turn down to match the speakers (micras = 100Hz). I can't seem to get the bass to blend nearly as well as the M225 sub it came with (which makes sense). Any help would be fantastic.
post #206 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you using the bass management on the receiver? Turn your sub xovr to the highest setting and set the receiver at 80, 100, and 120hz and see if that helps. Set all speakers to small.
post #207 of 2499 Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 PM

right, tried raising the frequency, some things sound really nice and crisp, others such as large bass punch effects just rumble a lot along the floor with not much connection. Many battle scenes such as in ROTK with the elephants dont even sound like the footprints are connecting at all, with just real low frequencies following them up. My room is quite small but i dont see that as too much of a problem. I think the crossover being too high is causing the sub to overwhelm the bass on the micras fronts without much blending taking place. The only conclusion i can draw is that the room needs the middle range bass from satellites that will deliver such as the audition B1's and their center component.
post #208 of 2499 Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the B1's front C1 center and .5's rear with the Dayton. I'm in a larger room and they kick really well. I just checked and the frequency respose on the micras is 100Hz so you shouldn't go any lower than that. Maybe 120. Those are smaller speakers so your not going to get as much output from them. The sub should be able to handle it though. Try setting the xovr at 120 and moving the sub around. Try moving it closer to you as well.

It almost sounds like you have the xovr on the sub turned all the way down. Are you sure it's set at it's highest? It should be about 180Hz or so not 40Hz.
post #209 of 2499 Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 AM

thanks jeremy...

anyone else have any comments (see my last post)?
post #210 of 2499 Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 AM

Anybody have any input on my earlier post?

Finally received all my new stuff and hooked it all up last night for the first time. Family watched War of the Worlds and we were literally laughing and squealing out loud at the sound experience. Thanks to everyone for helping me choose Athenas. I am very impressed. We have a large room (24' X 20' with high ceilings) and these things fill it nicely...the subwoofer is fantastic.

One speaker (an F1.2) arrived with one of the plastic grill sockets broken off. It's not visible so I'm not too concerned. I have emailed BestPriceAudioVideo.com asking for a replacement grill, but no response yet.

One question regarding "break-in". Paperwork says 80-100 hours...is this just to get the best sound, or is there a possiblity of damaging the speakers if dialed up before that time? We never went above -18db last night...but I do have a 15 year old boy...so I figured I better ask...

Oh, and also...I have the F1.2 (front L&Rs) set as "large" and all the others set as "small". Crossover values are set at 40 for the F1.2 and 60 for the C1.2 and B1.2 which is the spec low range for each. They are the values my receiver manual suggested but I am interrested in everyone's input. I also have the sub crossover adjustment set on the back of the AS-P6000 to the "F1.2" position. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

--------------
David Parker
--------------
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page