Athena owners thread. - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 2499 Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a pair of Athena WS-100, black preferred. Lemme know if you're interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2499 Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
^^^ ^^^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loudspeakers-Athena-WS-100-Floor-standing-tower-speakers-pair-/151266156187?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item23382a5e9b

Afro GT
post #2493 of 2499 Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Picked up a pair of AS-F1's today for $38 at a local auction.  While the cabinets are slightly scuffed, the speakers themselves sound darned good for what they are.  Not quite comparable to my main setup---Paradigm Studio 60's running off an NAD T757---but for a set going into my workroom, they're more than adequate.

post #2494 of 2499 Old 04-09-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Nice
post #2495 of 2499 Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Athena Audition series 5.0 for $225 or Infinity 7.0 system for $400?

Athenas:http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4489677088.html

Infinitys: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4496532939.html

I currently believe the Infinitys to be the better deal but the Athenas look way better and if they are a good deal and speakers then i would like to consider them. Hoping to check them both out next saturday then decide

post #2496 of 2499 Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Crossover question

I'm currently running a 5.0 system with a pair of AS-B2s as my fronts, an AS-C1, and a pair of AS-B1s as my surrounds. No sub.

My question is: How should I set my crossovers given my setup and the speakers' capabilities? And I know I'm missing out on low end without a sub, but in our current living space (and with a baby), booming bass just isn't an option.

A second question (and this is something I've wondered about for years): If I set my speakers to large, do crossovers even apply? For instance, if you set your mains to large, then from what I've read there is no bass management and the speakers get the full frequency range. But then if I add a sub, does the sub also get low end? Wouldn't that mean I'm getting twice the bass?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on these questions.
post #2497 of 2499 Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peychaud View Post
I'm currently running a 5.0 system with a pair of AS-B2s as my fronts, an AS-C1, and a pair of AS-B1s as my surrounds. No sub.

My question is: How should I set my crossovers given my setup and the speakers' capabilities? And I know I'm missing out on low end without a sub, but in our current living space (and with a baby), booming bass just isn't an option.

A second question (and this is something I've wondered about for years): If I set my speakers to large, do crossovers even apply? For instance, if you set your mains to large, then from what I've read there is no bass management and the speakers get the full frequency range. But then if I add a sub, does the sub also get low end? Wouldn't that mean I'm getting twice the bass?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on these questions.
Without a sub you set them to large which means they get the full range just like you mentioned. When you get a sub then you can set the crossover on the speakers to direct information below that to the sub and above to the speaker.
post #2498 of 2499 Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to set the speakers as small with a crossover of 80 Hz and no sub attached? My original thinking was that that might be a way to get improved performance out of the speakers because it would essentially remove the frequencies too low to be handled by them. By setting all the speakers as large, I thought I might end up with some distortion at higher volume levels due to their inability to handle the full frequency range. Again, I'm a novice and I'm just guessing.
post #2499 of 2499 Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peychaud View Post
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to set the speakers as small with a crossover of 80 Hz and no sub attached? My original thinking was that that might be a way to get improved performance out of the speakers because it would essentially remove the frequencies too low to be handled by them. By setting all the speakers as large, I thought I might end up with some distortion at higher volume levels due to their inability to handle the full frequency range. Again, I'm a novice and I'm just guessing.
Yep, your theory is correct so you just have to try both ways and see what sounds best. Lose the low freq by using a crossover will put less stress on the speaker and play with lower distortion. Or get lower frequency response and higher distortion running full range. \

Without a sub I'd run them full range regardless of the specs.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page