Athena owners thread. - Page 84 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a pair of Athena WS-100, black preferred. Lemme know if you're interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Picked up a pair of AS-F1's today for $38 at a local auction.  While the cabinets are slightly scuffed, the speakers themselves sound darned good for what they are.  Not quite comparable to my main setup---Paradigm Studio 60's running off an NAD T757---but for a set going into my workroom, they're more than adequate.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Nice
Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Athena Audition series 5.0 for $225 or Infinity 7.0 system for $400?

Athenas:http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4489677088.html

Infinitys: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4496532939.html

I currently believe the Infinitys to be the better deal but the Athenas look way better and if they are a good deal and speakers then i would like to consider them. Hoping to check them both out next saturday then decide

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Crossover question

I'm currently running a 5.0 system with a pair of AS-B2s as my fronts, an AS-C1, and a pair of AS-B1s as my surrounds. No sub.

My question is: How should I set my crossovers given my setup and the speakers' capabilities? And I know I'm missing out on low end without a sub, but in our current living space (and with a baby), booming bass just isn't an option.

A second question (and this is something I've wondered about for years): If I set my speakers to large, do crossovers even apply? For instance, if you set your mains to large, then from what I've read there is no bass management and the speakers get the full frequency range. But then if I add a sub, does the sub also get low end? Wouldn't that mean I'm getting twice the bass?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on these questions.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peychaud View Post
I'm currently running a 5.0 system with a pair of AS-B2s as my fronts, an AS-C1, and a pair of AS-B1s as my surrounds. No sub.

My question is: How should I set my crossovers given my setup and the speakers' capabilities? And I know I'm missing out on low end without a sub, but in our current living space (and with a baby), booming bass just isn't an option.

A second question (and this is something I've wondered about for years): If I set my speakers to large, do crossovers even apply? For instance, if you set your mains to large, then from what I've read there is no bass management and the speakers get the full frequency range. But then if I add a sub, does the sub also get low end? Wouldn't that mean I'm getting twice the bass?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on these questions.
Without a sub you set them to large which means they get the full range just like you mentioned. When you get a sub then you can set the crossover on the speakers to direct information below that to the sub and above to the speaker.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to set the speakers as small with a crossover of 80 Hz and no sub attached? My original thinking was that that might be a way to get improved performance out of the speakers because it would essentially remove the frequencies too low to be handled by them. By setting all the speakers as large, I thought I might end up with some distortion at higher volume levels due to their inability to handle the full frequency range. Again, I'm a novice and I'm just guessing.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peychaud View Post
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to set the speakers as small with a crossover of 80 Hz and no sub attached? My original thinking was that that might be a way to get improved performance out of the speakers because it would essentially remove the frequencies too low to be handled by them. By setting all the speakers as large, I thought I might end up with some distortion at higher volume levels due to their inability to handle the full frequency range. Again, I'm a novice and I'm just guessing.
Yep, your theory is correct so you just have to try both ways and see what sounds best. Lose the low freq by using a crossover will put less stress on the speaker and play with lower distortion. Or get lower frequency response and higher distortion running full range. \

Without a sub I'd run them full range regardless of the specs.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question for athena owners ...

I've had a full athena setup for years but I recently upgraded to a new receiver with audyssey multieq XT and I wanted to see if anyone else is seeing what I'm seeing. I have a pair of as-f2s as my mains, a as-c1 as my center, & as-b2s as my surrounds and audyssey is setting both the mains and surrounds as full range which is fine (I go and manually adjust them back to small with an 80hz crossover) but it's setting the as-c1 center crossover at 150hz which is quite high in my opinion for this speaker. I wasn't sure if it was something with my setup or room or if anyone else was seeing higher crossovers with the same speaker. I think it was originally rated as 60hz-20khz +/-3db but I'm not sure how accurate that really is and I don't have a mic to measure the speaker myself.

anyone?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It probably has to do with the placement of the speaker. Where do you have it? The C1 is the weak link in this line. I replaced mine with another B2 years ago and it is much better.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
It probably has to do with the placement of the speaker. Where do you have it? The C1 is the weak link in this line. I replaced mine with another B2 years ago and it is much better.
It's on the top of my TV stand directly below my television. I have ran audyssey many times and one time it set it to a 90hz crossover, I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the height of my tripod when I run the calibration. I would love to replace it with a B2 but I don't see any for sale on eBay or anything, there are some B1s on ebay but I doubt that would be much different than my C1 (should be the same tweeter and woofer as my current center but just 1 woofer vs 2 in the C1).
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is the dispersion pattern of the tweeter on the C1, the B1 would sound better over a wider area. But that won't help your crossover. Like you said, moving the mic a couple inches will give different results for bass and could just be a null or floor bounce from the center so keep experimenting.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
The problem is the dispersion pattern of the tweeter on the C1, the B1 would sound better over a wider area. But that won't help your crossover. Like you said, moving the mic a couple inches will give different results for bass and could just be a null or floor bounce from the center so keep experimenting.
I would also have to lay the b1 or b2 on its side which I'm sure would cause other problems too. The only reason I asked here was to see if maybe the c1 didn't really have much output below 100hz or something. Rest assured, I'm not done tinkering yet
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Right, on its side you'd have the same issues as the C1. I cross my center B2 at 100hz because it still can't keep up at high volume. But I also have dual subs flanking both sides of the center so I don't have bass localization problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement