AVS Forum banner

Please Join and post what speakers you have

2M views 8K replies 4K participants last post by  TheFactor 
#1 ·
There have been so many requests for people to try to see what other AVSers have, and many who would like to audition speakers, that I started a frappr group for AVS speaker owners....

so please, join and post your setup, so that others can see and maybe one day audition and share experiences in your area:

http://www.frappr.com/avsers

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT to turn into any debates or brand promoting or flaming wars, or it will be closed ASAP.

This is merely to provide a useful tool for folks to be able to see where others are in case they would like to audition something before buying or to share experiences and/or thoughts

#3,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZaha  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23663629

Would love to get some tips on the first thing I should upgrade as my system doesn't quite give me the quality I hoped for ...

Sound quality or quantity of sound? How big is your room? I like Polk speakers but I never heard the TSi series. Are your mains on stands that put the tweeter at ear level?

Your center channel has good sensitivity at 91dB, the mains a little less so at 89dB. I am not sure that more power is the only answer - many don't believe that you can hear the difference between an AVR and an amp unless you are driving it to its power limits. Your Sony doesn't have preamp outputs so you can't just try adding an amp - you might be able borrow a freind's higher-end AVR to try. These would be my suggestions:

1. New sub - SVS is a good suggestion. Their subs start at $500.

2. Bigger mains like Polk RTi series floor standing and move your TSi speakers to the rear.

3. Bigger center channel speaker like a Polk LSi - the center channel is primary speaker in a home theater

#3,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23666454

Sound quality or quantity of sound? How big is your room? I like Polk speakers but I never heard the TSi series. Are your mains on stands that put the tweeter at ear level?

Your center channel has good sensitivity at 91dB, the mains a little less so at 89dB. I am not sure that more power is the only answer - many don't believe that you can hear the difference between an AVR and an amp unless you are driving it to its power limits. Your Sony doesn't have preamp outputs so you can't just try adding an amp - you might be able borrow a freind's higher-end AVR to try. These would be my suggestions:

1. New sub - SVS is a good suggestion. Their subs start at $500.

2. Bigger mains like Polk RTi series floor standing and move your TSi speakers to the rear.

3. Bigger center channel speaker like a Polk LSi - the center channel is primary speaker in a home theater

interesting - thanks for the response. my current room isn't that big - about 14x15' which is why I didn't go all out, but I still expected when I got the Tsis to have a very rich sound; they are certainly loud enough. The mains are almost at ear level - a bit below:

My plan was to get the RTI or or the TSI500 speakers for fronts and move the 200s as the rear when I got a new place. Sounds like what you are saying is until then I'll have to deal with what I have.I will try and see if i can borrow a stronger AVR to see if that makes a difference that's a great suggestion. Thanks again!

#3,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZaha  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23666503

... the Tsis to have a very rich sound; they are certainly loud enough. The mains are almost at ear level - a bit below

Thanks for the photo. Some more suggestions:

1. Those mains are too low - the top of them may be almost ear level, but the TSi200 is a D'Appolito array (mid-tweeter-mid) so the tweeter is in the center, far below your seated position. That type of speaker is known for its wide horizontal dispersion, but very limited vertical dispersion - you could be sitting in a null. The tweeter should be at ear level, either angle the speakers upward toward your seated ear height or even better lift them with stands.

2. More distance between your mains if possible (should have 25 to 30 degrees between them) and angle them inward slightly

3. The center speaker should be moved forward so the front baffle is in front of the cabinet and the shelf it sits on, it should also be angled upward toward your seated ear height.

#3,261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23666356

Sighted evaluation, right?

For a more powerful amp to make an actual audible difference, first you have to establish that the lower powered amp is clipping much of the time.

How did you do that?

You called it; sighted.

I won't take away the fact that you have way more knowledge about this category than me, but if you've never taken a pair of Polk Audio RTiA9's and spent some time with them with an amp and without, then your knowledge goes without understanding
No offense meant, probable doesn't make a bit if difference in the big picture anyway. Audios muchachos

Reactions: HKPolkMe
#3,262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23668221

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23666356

Sighted evaluation, right?

For a more powerful amp to make an actual audible difference, first you have to establish that the lower powered amp is clipping much of the time.

How did you do that?

You called it; sighted.

And therefore likely to be subject to expectation bias.
Quote:
I won't take away the fact that you have way more knowledge about this category than me, but if you've never taken a pair of Polk Audio RTiA9's and spent some time with them with an amp and without, then your knowledge goes without understanding :

I perceive that as as a kind of a cheap shot. There are thousands of different models of speakers, and no I have not heard them all. Nobody has. However, speakers share common characteristics and to some degree their actual performance is predictable. Every reliable indication is that the RTA-9 is a 90 dB/W speaker with the usual impedance curve which includes some excursions in the direction of 4 ohms. The biggest variable in this discussion is something I'll never be able to recreate, which is your quest for loudness.
Quote:
No offense meant, probable doesn't make a bit if difference in the big picture anyway. Audios muchachos

I can sympathize with your perceptions of your power amplifier upgrade. Back in the days before I was wised up by doing quick-switched level matched double blind tests I did my own receiver versus big stand alone power amp comparisons. The comparison was between a 60 wpc receiver versus a very robust 200 wpc power amp. Later on I wised up when I figured out how to do the comparison right and found out that there was no audible difference. This has been repeated many times by many people. Expectation bias can be very real.

One big tip-off is your mischaracterization of a 135 wpc AVR as having only 33 wpc. You've been sold on the incorrect idea that music and loudspeakers make the same demands on equipment as pure sine waves and resistors. Since I've repeately proven that there are significant differences on AVS many times I won't belabor the point here gratuitously but I will explain it again if you wish.

#3,263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23668903

One big tip-off is your mischaracterization of a 135 wpc AVR as having only 33 wpc. You've been sold on the incorrect idea that music and loudspeakers make the same demands on equipment as pure sine waves and resistors. Since I've repeately proven that there are significant differences on AVS many times I won't belabor the point here gratuitously but I will explain it again if you wish.

Hmmm, now I'm a bit confused. I thought bench tests and lab tests were to provide information on wattage per channel driven on a particular AVR, was an accurate source a guy could rely on. Are you trying to insinuate these bench tests are inaccurate?

http://www.hometheater.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr807-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

#3,264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23672330

Hmmm, now I'm a bit confused. I thought bench tests and lab tests were to provide information on wattage per channel driven on a particular AVR, was an accurate source a guy could rely on. Are you trying to insinuate these bench tests are inaccurate?

http://www.hometheater.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr807-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
Lab tests are to give a standard idea of how the equipment or design will/should perform in real world use. Bench testing is to make sure that it actually performs as designed, before it gets shipped out to the consumer, or after repairs to an item, to make sure that it will perform as specified by manufacturer spec's.

#3,265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23672508

Lab tests are to give a standard idea of how the equipment or design will/should perform in real world use. Bench testing is to make sure that it actually performs as designed, before it gets shipped out to the consumer, or after repairs to an item, to make sure that it will perform as specified by manufacturer spec's.

Bingo. To give a standard. Not an idea, but to create a standard. The test allows the consumer to know how it actually performs and not as the manufacturer's bloated numbers claim it to be.

#3,266 ·
My speaker system is no where near what most of these listed are but here is what I currently have:

Center: Polk 25C

Fronts: 2 Polk 65Ts

Rears: 2 Polk 45Bs

Sub: Polk PSW110 (soon to be replaced with a Klipsch rw-12d)

Receiver: Denon 1913 AVR

Coming from a Vizio sound bar, the difference is tremendous...but after looking at some of these systems, I realize this will probably just be the beginning of my newly found home theater obsession.

#6,201 ·
My speaker system is no where near what most of these listed are but here is what I currently have:

Center: Polk 25C
Fronts: 2 Polk 65Ts
Rears: 2 Polk 45Bs
Sub: Polk PSW110 (soon to be replaced with a Klipsch rw-12d)

Receiver: Denon 1913 AVR

Coming from a Vizio sound bar, the difference is tremendous...but after looking at some of these systems, I realize this will probably just be the beginning of my newly found home theater obsession.
Wife and I bought our first house and I upgraded my system finally

Center: Polk Audio LSiM704c
Fronts: Polk Audio LSiM703s
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Receiver: DENON AVR-X2100W

#3,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntreality  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23681076

My speaker system is no where near what most of these listed ... Coming from a Vizio sound bar, the difference is tremendous...but after looking at some of these systems, I realize this will probably just be the beginning of my newly found home theater obsession.

Don't berate your Polk's - I think that they are very good speakers and for their price class they are nearly unbeatable. I have a little pair of Polk's at work and they are great. Your sub is low-end compared to the rest so you are upgrading your weakest link first. I listened to the LSi towers and I was impressed - great imaging, good mid-bass and very neutral - nice speakers. I haven't heard the new Monitor line - how do those 45B's sound? Are they on stands or wall mounted? Why don't you post a picture of your speakers in action?

#3,268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23681450

Don't berate your Polk's - I think that they are very good speakers and for their price class they are nearly unbeatable. I have a little pair of Polk's at work and they are great. Your sub is low-end compared to the rest so you are upgrading your weakest link first. I listened to the LSi towers and I was impressed - great imaging, good mid-bass and very neutral - nice speakers. I haven't heard the new Monitor line - how do those 45B's sound? Are they on stands or wall mounted? Why don't you post a picture of your speakers in action?

The only reason I bought that sub initially was that I got it on sale for 110 at Best Buy. I plan on moving it to my bedroom once I upgrade.

The 45B's shocked me of how nice they are. I have them on stands ( http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-BF-31B-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5O ) . When watching Blu Rays the sound that they produce is fantastic.

I will post a picture either this evening or tonight once I get home from work.

#3,269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23681450

Don't berate your Polk's - I think that they are very good speakers and for their price class they are nearly unbeatable.

+1

I started with a similar set up with Polk, nicely done.

Reactions: burntreality
#3,271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntreality  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23684145

The 45B's shocked me of how nice they are ... Here is a picture of the front of my HT and then the rear speakers. Like I said it's not much but it helps me to realize the possibilities once I upgrade.

Very nice - thanks for the pictures. Your setup looks very nice and the speakers look well placed - I noticed you didn't get any suggestions on speaker placement which is rare in this post!

I was looking for some large bookshelf speakers to use as mains on stands and was surprised by how few manufacturers are still making them. They all make tiny single 5.25" (or sometimes single 6.5") bookshelf speakers and jump right to the big floorstanding models with multiple mid-bass drivers. I really prefer two way speakers on stands for the front so had been considering some of the new Polks - the 35B but especially the LSiM703. The LSi speakers were $1500 per pair so I decided to go with Paradigms but I would still love to hear those Polks. Anyone have the LSi series speakers for their mains or center?

#3,272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3270#post_23685573

Very nice - thanks for the pictures. Your setup looks very nice and the speakers look well placed - I noticed you didn't get any suggestions on speaker placement which is rare in this post!

Thanks a ton for the compliment. I have read a bunch on the forums, and after trying several different placements, that placement sounded the best to me.

I still have awhile before I get to start looking at speakers that cost 1500 a pair, but the time will come when I will own some. As much as I love this forum for all the advice, I hate the forum for making me want to spend so much money.

#3,274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech  /t/604394/please-join-and-post-what-speakers-you-have/3240#post_23667346

Thanks for the photo. Some more suggestions:

1. Those mains are too low - the top of them may be almost ear level, but the TSi200 is a D'Appolito array (mid-tweeter-mid) so the tweeter is in the center, far below your seated position. That type of speaker is known for its wide horizontal dispersion, but very limited vertical dispersion - you could be sitting in a null. The tweeter should be at ear level, either angle the speakers upward toward your seated ear height or even better lift them with stands.

2. More distance between your mains if possible (should have 25 to 30 degrees between them) and angle them inward slightly

3. The center speaker should be moved forward so the front baffle is in front of the cabinet and the shelf it sits on, it should also be angled upward toward your seated ear height.

I made these changes, as well as getting an SPL meter and calibrating. Enjoying my system much more.

thanks!

#3,275 ·
My setup is in my signature.

Mirage speakers with a PSA XV15 sub.

#3,276 ·
I swapped out the speakers on my 2 channel rig. The Philharmonic 2s are replaced by Golden Ear Triton 2s driven by a Bryston 4bsst2, a Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, and YBA cd3 transport with 2 SVS pb12 pluses and an SVS aseq1 for sub equalization. It now sounds the best it ever has.

#3,277 ·
2 ch setup : NAD356bee , Parasound Halo A21 and Dynaudio Focus 160s

HT : Integra DHC 80.3 , Parasound Halo A52 and Klipsch Reference RF7II ,64 and rears def tech 450s.

#3,279 ·
Fronts klipsch RF-7 II Floorstanding Speaker

Center klipsch RC-64 II Center Speaker

Surrounds klipsch RS-62 II Surround Speaker

Rears klipsch RB-61 II Bookshelf Speakers

Subs SVS PB12-PLUS DSPx2 SVS PB13-ULTRA DSP

Sub EQ Velodyne SMS-1

SHARP 70" 732

Pre/pioneer sc-65 elite

Amp/ B&K 200.7 S2

JVC RS-45 projector

Seymour center stage 125” 2.35 screen

OPPO BDP-103 blu ray player

2 channel

Cornwall 1981

B&K pre amp reference 20

sherbourn 4z-75 power amp

#3,281 ·
Looking for Michigan folks who have PHC (Pro Audio Technology), Quested, or Procella speaker systems I can demo.

Thanks!