Please Join and post what speakers you have - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 759Likes

post #5071 of 5074 Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
As a machinist with almost 40 years experience I truly appreciate your machining work on the speakers and amplifier. As an artist, you did a fantastic job with the mating of brass and black leather, and of course the detailed filigree work.

As a music lover and amateur audiophile, can you describe the amplifier? Was it a known design, did you use any particularly high-end components? And what drivers and tweeters did you use for the speakers? Are those a design of your own as well (finishes exempted, of course)?
Thank you!! Amplifire is build with two TDA1562Q for L/R speakers and for subwoofer I used TDA7294. Subwoofer have active crossover and L/R speakers have passiv crossover ( polypropylene capacitors, wire-wound resistor). For the drivers I used Visaton tweeter (DT 94 - 8 Ohm), bass-midrange (W 170 S - 4 Ohm) and woofer (W 200 S - 8 Ohm), my design is similar to Visaton, I just separate tweeter and bass-mid so the air wave produced by bass-mid, inside of the box, don't interact with tweeter. Back then, when I started this project I didn't put much thought in the quality of the componants and drivers, but for the next project I will definitely put more time and research into it.
KenM10759 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5074 Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV: samsung un55f8000
AVR: pioneer vsx-830-k
Fronts: B&W 683 S2
Center: B&W 61 S2
Rears: paradigm cs-lcr v3
Sub: svs PB-1000
Media server: unraid with gpu passthrough windows 10 VM for plex
Power: monster htr1600 conditioner
post #5073 of 5074 Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaudio View Post
Thank you!! Amplifire is build with two TDA1562Q for L/R speakers and for subwoofer I used TDA7294. Subwoofer have active crossover and L/R speakers have passiv crossover ( polypropylene capacitors, wire-wound resistor). For the drivers I used Visaton tweeter (DT 94 - 8 Ohm), bass-midrange (W 170 S - 4 Ohm) and woofer (W 200 S - 8 Ohm), my design is similar to Visaton, I just separate tweeter and bass-mid so the air wave produced by bass-mid, inside of the box, don't interact with tweeter. Back then, when I started this project I didn't put much thought in the quality of the componants and drivers, but for the next project I will definitely put more time and research into it.
The speakers and amplifier are beautiful to look at, must be very gratifying to listen to as well. If I were to build speakers in the future (and probably will), I would be looking at Scanspeak woofers and Raal tweeters. There may be others of high quality that I don't know about yet. I would want to try my hand at steaming and curving the side walls of the cabinets, and like you make hardware (including my own binding posts) from brass, copper, stainless steel and/or titanium alloys.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #5074 of 5074 Old Today, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The speakers and amplifier are beautiful to look at, must be very gratifying to listen to as well. If I were to build speakers in the future (and probably will), I would be looking at Scanspeak woofers and Raal tweeters. There may be others of high quality that I don't know about yet. I would want to try my hand at steaming and curving the side walls of the cabinets, and like you make hardware (including my own binding posts) from brass, copper, stainless steel and/or titanium alloys.

Very good choices for drivers

If you go down that road, make sure the cabinet and crossover are made to match those drivers.
There is something special about a well made speaker, that you made you self

Way back in the days, I found that Madisound.com, was very helpful.
Will post a link, in a minute and edit!

Here it is;
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/welcome.php

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
amplifier advice , speaker advice