Please Join and post what speakers you have - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 956Likes

post #5401 of 5425 Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
LOL, I loved the way you put-it in your last sentence

In all seriousness, those are very nice speakers and deserve some real stands
After spending so much money on those speakers, many options can be have for cheap, for real stands.

But then again, it is your system, not ours.
And not to forget, Thanks for posting your front stage to this thread

Ray
I concur with your thoughts -- these are stop-gap arrangement since I am in between house moves.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5425 Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
Kevin covered that with me too. I popped in the cd that came with my subs, plugged both ports, eq1 and played the 20hz test tone while holding a lighter in front of each hole. No air, I'm good.
I believe Ray was referring to the literal screw holes from where the rubber feet came out.
EDIT: I mis-read the orginal comment. Redacted!

I'm glad to see you enjoy the newfound tidiness! I will say that I, too, think it looks much cleaner
Pogre likes this.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
My Fun Room!
post #5403 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Not looking to start a new thread but had a general question for some of the builds I've been seeing of late.

Why do some put a good amount of time and money into what amounts to a nice sound system but then matches it with either a poorly sized TV or poorly positioned TV in a room. It's like hey listen to my $20,000 sound system while watching a $400 best buy branded TV that's smaller than 50".

I've posted my two rigs before but I made sure to evenly distribute the budget for both my theater and living room to have a matching screen to go along with the sound.
darthray and wilfredent like this.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?

post #5404 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Not looking to start a new thread but had a general question for some of the builds I've been seeing of late.

Why do some put a good amount of time and money into what amounts to a nice sound system but then matches it with either a poorly sized TV or poorly positioned TV in a room. It's like hey listen to my $20,000 sound system while watching a $400 best buy branded TV that's smaller than 50".

I've posted my two rigs before but I made sure to evenly distribute the budget for both my theater and living room to have a matching screen to go along with the sound.
Right now I have a 60" Vizio and it's not bad. My main goal is music, but I like having a good HT system too. I generally put the bulk of my budget in speakers, then build around them.
post #5405 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
I concur with your thoughts -- these are stop-gap arrangement since I am in between house moves.

Perhaps, something like this during the stop gap times. This way you can have the stools back for the bar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furinno-9980...3D132151469458
darthray likes this.
post #5406 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Perhaps, something like this during the stop gap times. This way you can have the stools back for the bar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furinno-9980...3D132151469458
At 70 lb. per speaker, did not want to take a risk with similar side stands, so ended up with those stools. They are ugly and mismatched, but certainly take the speaker weight! :-)

I may just go with the ones that Jeff builds for these speakers when they are in their permanent location. In a few weeks from now.

shivaji and darthray like this.
post #5407 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 717
choombak,

I don't know if it's just a case of barrel distortion on the lens of the camera or phone that was used for the photo, or if it's the weight of a 70 pound speaker and 40(?) pound TV in the middle of that black credenza but whatever the case it looks like you should put some support under the long main beams. It appears to be sagging in the middle and if it is that will only continue to get more pronounced and wont take long for the drawers to start binding up...or worse.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #5408 of 5425 Old 04-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I' m a JBL guy all the way.
LCR are 3678's
SUBS are (2) 4645C's 18 inch
SURROUNDS are (4) 8330's

Projectors: 35mm Kinoton PK60D/Epson 5010
Processors: Dolby CP-650
Amps: QSC's (3), and EV (1)
Speakers: JBL 3678's L-C-R (3), JBL 4645C's 18" SUBS (2) JBL 8330's SURROUNDS (4)
Screen: Harkness 3D Silver, 11x5 feet, mini-perf
post #5409 of 5425 Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Kevin covered that with me too. I popped in the cd that came with my subs, plugged both ports, eq1 and played the 20hz test tone while holding a lighter in front of each hole. No air, I'm good.

Glad to hear
Must have miss, the reply from Kevin

Ray
post #5410 of 5425 Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
I believe Ray was referring to the literal screw holes from where the rubber feet came out.
EDIT: I mis-read the orginal comment. Redacted!

I'm glad to see you enjoy the newfound tidiness! I will say that I, too, think it looks much cleaner

Yes, the screw holes where the feet were.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 04-13-2017 at 07:33 PM.
post #5411 of 5425 Old 04-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear
Must have miss, the reply from Kevin

Ray
It was over the phone. He just happened to be the one who answered.

I came up with a solution for the logos that doesn't require adhesive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_130628.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	2083225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_130739-816x459.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2083233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_131209-1305x734.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2083241  
post #5412 of 5425 Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post

LOL

Now, I got-it
Your speakers come with packaging and boxes, that can be repack.
On the other hand, stand need to be assemble, and you do not want to scratch them in the move.

If not, use that as an excuse, and stick to it

Ray
post #5413 of 5425 Old 04-14-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Like you, I like a well balance between Audio and Video
I also remember your systems, and they are nice.

But, I also know a couple people, who will not get a display bigger than 50", too big and too hard to follow what's going on (so they say)
Same type of person who do not care, about symmetry to have the display center to the sound

Ray
post #5414 of 5425 Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right now I have a 60" Vizio and it's not bad. My main goal is music, but I like having a good HT system too. I generally put the bulk of my budget in speakers, then build around them.

60" is a descent size
Like you said, your main goal is music and nothing wrong with that.
And when you say "then build around them".
I do assume that you are putting your display in the center and not in a corner away from your speakers.

Ray
Pogre likes this.
post #5415 of 5425 Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
60" is a descent size
Like you said, your main goal is music and nothing wrong with that.
And when you say "then build around them".
I do assume that you are putting your display in the center and not in a corner away from your speakers.

Ray
Lol. Yes. Scroll up to post 5411 and you can get a look. I fastened the logos so that they're in the correct orientation and posted some more pics of my subs. It's very symmetrical now and the tv is the centerpiece.
darthray likes this.
post #5416 of 5425 Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol. Yes. Scroll up to post 5411 and you can get a look. I fastened the logos so that they're in the correct orientation and posted some more pics of my subs. It's very symmetrical now and the tv is the centerpiece.

Your symmetry is perfect

I did saw the pictures, but in rush to reply to a few posts.
But in my rush to reply to a few quotes, I forgot Who was posting What
My Bad

Ray
Pogre likes this.
post #5417 of 5425 Old 04-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dan here. I just got Ascend Sierra Ribbon Towers and a Horizon Ribbon Center and they sound good. My first love is 2-channel music but I've come to love movies with a 5.2 system, and I'm getting used to Blu Ray audio and DVD-A and SACD and all the other file formats. I'm using two subs, one is a 20+ year old Velodyne FSR18 which can shake the house, and the other is a new Rythmic F15HP-SE. I use the Rythmic for some music when I want to add bottom end, and I use both subs for movies. The room is pretty big, approx 20 x 22 with a 8' going up to around 16' high ceiling. Room acoustics are poor and I'm working on that, adding carpet, sofa, drapes, and eventually anti-reflective features and bass traps once I understand the science.

Some background: I'm an engineer and I've been into 2-channel music for 50+ years. First speakers were JBL-100 (inline) and they were some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. West Coast Sound apparently, but my ears loved them. Unfortunately I was forced to sell them when I graduated college and needed money. I drove those speakers first with a Marantz 2230 receiver from the 1970's. It worked but compared to today it was, vintage. Then I got into separates, an SAE 2200 power amp and a Crown IC-150A preamp (still have them and they're for sale if interested). I keep all original packaging material, for everything!

Got into Boston Acoustics speakers when my artsy wife had a say in the "way things looked". Boston Acoustics A-400's sounded great (I still have them, for sale if interested) and they're in perfect condition. I moved to a house and got into home theater with a Yamaha RX-V something or another, and Boston Acoustics VR30's and a VR12 center. Still have the speakers and they're in perfect condition (for sale if interested). I don't seem to sell things.

Then due to lightning I got a Yamaha RX-V3300 (still have it, perfect condition, for sale) and just recently upgraded to the Yamaha RX-A3060. I keep telling myself that eventually I'll get into separates for home theater but these newer receivers sound pretty darn good so it's difficult to justify. I don't play things at reference level, I just like clean, clear sound at moderate levels.

And that's it. I got into laser discs and have all that stuff if anyone is interested. Pioneer Elite CLD-79 and a couple dozen good movies. For some reason I thought laser disc was going to be a big thing. It wasn't.

Oh, and with HDMI cables I now have at least a hundred RCA interconnects, high quality, sitting in a box in the closet. Wonder what that's worth? I fell for the kinda high quality stuff and cringe when I look at all those cables sitting in that box.

And I still have a Sony PS-X7 turntable, an Ortofon high quality moving coil cartridge, several hundred vinyl albums all preserved with Sound Guard treatment and special liners, and even an AM/FM Tuner! Oh the memories!

Today's components are amazing!
darthray, Pogre and jomartz like this.

* LG OLED65C7P
* Oppo UDP-205 * Sony UBP-X800 * Denon-DVD 2900 * Pioneer CLD79
* Yamaha RX-A3060
* Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower and Ascend Horizon RAAL Center
* Ascend Sierra-1 surrounds
* Rythmik F15HP & Velodyne FSR-18

Last edited by wowthatsabigscreen; 04-17-2017 at 06:42 PM.
post #5418 of 5425 Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthatsabigscreen View Post
Dan here. I just got Ascend Sierra Ribbon Towers and a Horizon Ribbon Center and they sound good. My first love is 2-channel music but I've come to love movies with a 5.2 system, and I'm getting used to Blu Ray audio and DVD-A and SACD and all the other file formats. I'm using two subs, one is a 20+ year old Velodyne FSR18 which can shake the house, and the other is a new Rythmic F15HP-SE. I use the Rythmic for some music when I want to add bottom end, and I use both subs for movies. The room is pretty big, approx 20 x 22 with a 8' going up to around 16' high ceiling. Room acoustics are poor and I'm working on that, adding carpet, sofa, drapes, and eventually anti-reflective features and bass traps once I understand the science.
I'm in a similar boat. I'm just getting into surround sound after a long relationship with stereo sound. I've gone through dozens of headphones and a few pairs of speakers over the last couple years before getting here. My mains have been M-Audio BX5's for the past year with a Nuforce Icon HDP DAC.

I never once considered surround sound until recently, seemed too complicated. I can't remember what pushed me to try it, but I decided screw it and found a good deal on some Klipsch S1 surrounds. Because I watch movies on my PC I ditched the DAC to test it out, using my onboard soundcard. I powered the S1's with a Lepai 2020 amp. The first 5 minutes of Mad Max: Fury Road were enough to convince me that I made the right decision, but the interference on my sound card was unbearable. So I sold my Nuforce the next week and bought a Marantz 1504. For the center channel I ultimately decided on the Aperion Intimus 4c, which thankfully is a good match for the BX5's. Lastly, my favorite part of my setup, the Sunfire True Sub Jr., an obnoxious little beast!

My setup isn't exactly killer but I think it's a decent entry level. Now I need a nice universal player. Also sorry that whole Laser Disc thing didn't work out. Being an early adopter doesn't always work out lol.
post #5419 of 5425 Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think advertising about speakers and such activity will increase the knowledge about speakers, its ranges and varieties.
post #5420 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

This one I don't get either. Mainly the huge speakers and the 50" or smaller tv set. Yet the speakers are 6ft tall(a little exaggeration). How can they even see the tv behind the speakers? I see this a lot when I check youtube. They have this kind of setup and say they're into home theater. They can't be. Home theater is not just sound.

Back on topic: My preference is Klipsch for speakers.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
AVR: Denon X2200W
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 4
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
post #5421 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My guess would be they already had the smaller TV and then decided to get into Home Theater. They added all the home theater components and got them all set up and running but the cost of a big display or projector/screen kept them away until they had the budget or until the TV died.

Myself, I had a 37" direct-view TV for almost 27 years because, well because it worked, had a pretty good image (until I saw 1080p), and since it still worked I just plain had a hard time throwing it away and buying something new. I "almost" upgraded the display several times but something "new and improved" would come out and I'd read about it and be glad I hadn't jumped on "that one from last season, the one that in retrospect was really bad".

I shopped, watched online prices fall, and continued to see new displays come out which were so much better than last season's displays - so I sat tight and waited, and worked all day and didn't have a lot of time to sit and enjoy the Home Theater.

Years passed, and I finally replaced that old TV with a 65" OLED and I can't believe the improvement. I was one of those guys into Home Theater but still with a puny 37" display. Now I have the whole thing and what a difference from "the old days". Of course a 65" OLED is nothing compared to a projector/screen...

* LG OLED65C7P
* Oppo UDP-205 * Sony UBP-X800 * Denon-DVD 2900 * Pioneer CLD79
* Yamaha RX-A3060
* Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower and Ascend Horizon RAAL Center
* Ascend Sierra-1 surrounds
* Rythmik F15HP & Velodyne FSR-18
post #5422 of 5425 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
My guess would be they already had the smaller TV and then decided to get into Home Theater. They added all the home theater components and got them all set up and running but the cost of a big display or projector/screen kept them away until they had the budget or until the TV died.
This is close to my situation.

I love my music and my movies but I've never had the budget to go all out...especially all at once. I replace the individual components as needed which is usually when something fails. Right now that means the AVR is next on the list and I'm going to settle below target on that so I can save more $$ to put into the TV next. After that probably a 4K UHD player (to justify the TV )then speakers and ONLY THEN will I loop back and hit more of the "wants" on the next AVR. Byt the time new speakers are in sight I'll (hopefully) be finishing the basement with a modest home theater set up. Once it's all out of the main living space and into a dedicated "play" area like the basement the WAF has less sway in the decision making.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."
post #5423 of 5425 Old Today, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
However, it's not like a television cost $10,000 and the speakers, amps, cabling, etc. cost $100. Some of these rigs are thousands of dollars and then I see a $400 TV hooked into the mix.

Let's roll some McIntosh equipment and match it with an Insignia TV FTW!!!

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #5424 of 5425 Old Today, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
However, it's not like a television cost $10,000 and the speakers, amps, cabling, etc. cost $100. Some of these rigs are thousands of dollars and then I see a $400 TV hooked into the mix.

Let's roll some McIntosh equipment and match it with an Insignia TV FTW!!!
Kinda sounds like me! Have about $5,000 into a 2.1 music system, with about $5,000 more to go soon. And upgrading my 3.1 movie system speakers tomorrow to 3 Paradigm Prestige 15B's for the front 3 (about $2400), to use with... a Samsung 42" tv. The upgrade in sound I need now after listening to my much better music system speakers.
However, I will be eventually upgrading to an Oppo upd-205 player first and then a slightly larger 4K tv. I do value audio much more than video though. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by Williams2; Today at 09:10 PM.
post #5425 of 5425 Old Today, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
Kinda sounds like me! Have about $5,000 into a 2.1 music system, with about $5,000 more to go soon. And upgrading my 3.1 movie system speakers tomorrow to 3 Paradigm Prestige 15B's for the front 3 (about $2400), connected to... a Samsung 42" tv. The upgrade in sound I need now after listening to my much better music system speakers.
However, I will be eventually upgrading to an Oppo upd-205 player first and then a slightly larger 4K tv. I do value audio much more than video though. To each their own I guess.
My thoughts on the Paradigm Prestige 15B's: First off, my ears are sensitive to high pitches and fatigue easily in the 1-4khz range. I home demoed the Studio 10's a few years ago and found them to sound great for the money, but bothered my ears. I checked a frequency response graph and they have a rise in the 2.5-4khz area. These 15B's are on the bright/lively side too, but sounded excellent. I checked a frequency response graph after hearing them and it shows a few decibel cut in that 1-4khz range. So they have a lively sound without fatigue that's great for home theatre, the bass is very good for 5.5" woofers, the mids aren't forward or recessed for a balanced sound, and they have the largest sound dynamics I've heard from small bookshelf speakers. To Compare them with similarly priced and sized speakers, I found the KEF LS50's were very slightly more transparent, but for me the Paradigms are better at everything else.

Last edited by Williams2; Today at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
amplifier advice , speaker advice