Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 39204 Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey metal83, it's great to be in the same boat with you! I just ordered my RTi10s from Tweeter on Tuesday and will pick them up later today... I also went with the CSiA4. I had originally started with a pair of Polk towers (RM50Ts), that sounded pretty good to me at first, but eventually I realized that they weren't really giving me what I wanted. I went back to Tweeter and they allowed me to trade up. $480 for a pair of quality floorstanding speakers seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

BTW, I'm using a Yamaha RX-V661, and I really like the sound it produces, even with the various old speakers I've hooked up to it. I can't wait to hear the RTi10s. I'll post again tomorrow to let you know what I think.

A question for Yamaha users: What speakers has anyone used for presence speakers (which seem to be unique to Yamaha)? Are they supposed to be similar to what you would use for surrounds? They seem to add a lot to the front sound stage when they are activated using Yamaha's various DSP modes, but I'm not exactly sure what type/size of speaker is recommended.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 39204 Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

I was wondering about the presence speakers too. I figured, with A3s as fronts & surrounds, that perhaps A1s would be suitable (though I haven't given a lot of thought to actually buying them for that purpose). I haven't used that particular Yamaha feature yet, perhaps I ought to hook up my old speakers to hear what it's like.
post #3483 of 39204 Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Well...I'm back After many days and countless hours of research I have decided that I was actually pretty darn content with my Monitor series system. While looking around at the most comparable competition, Bic Acoustech...Elemental Designs and Infinity Primus, I decided that I wasn't going to get much more for my money. Already having 4 Monitor speakers still remaining, my money seems better spent just tacking back on 3 more Polks and a new sub to get my 7.1 system back.
I have decided though to tone down my surrounds considerably and invest more in a tremendous sub and still save myself $600 bucks over my previous set-up. The new set-up should be more than enough for my tiny tiny room:
Front: Monitor 50 (you know I actually loved these as fronts before)
Center: CS1 (I don't think I gave this little champ enough credit or tweaking 1st time)
Surrounds: Monitor 30's (sides on 31" stands...rears on back wall 43" at bottom)
Sub: eD A2-300 (for $330 shipped on a 12" that hits below 20hz...no competition)

I should have all the surrounds back in within 2-3 weeks (CS1 is back ordered). I'm praying that I have the sub in 4-6 weeks as they have a ton of these to build right now.
The cost of living is just sky rocketing right now in Ohio and I can't justify spending $2500 on the Paradigm Monitor system that really caught my eye and feel that anything less will probably not be a noticeable upgrade for a half deaf former bass addidct Maybe in a few years...but for now, I shall be content with a little less.

SO....guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...don don don da don da
(sorry it had to be done)

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #3484 of 39204 Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Whoohoo!
post #3485 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

Well...I'm back After many days and countless hours of research I have decided that I was actually pretty darn content with my Monitor series system. While looking around at the most comparable competition, Bic Acoustech...Elemental Designs and Infinity Primus, I decided that I wasn't going to get much more for my money. Already having 4 Monitor speakers still remaining, my money seems better spent just tacking back on 3 more Polks and a new sub to get my 7.1 system back.
I have decided though to tone down my surrounds considerably and invest more in a tremendous sub and still save myself $600 bucks over my previous set-up. The new set-up should be more than enough for my tiny tiny room:
Center: CS1 (I don't think I gave this little champ enough credit or tweaking 1st time)
Surrounds: Monitor 30's (sides on 31" stands...rears on back wall 43" at bottom)
Sub: eD A2-300 (for $330 shipped on a 12" that hits below 20hz...no competition)

I should have all the surrounds back in within 2-3 weeks (CS1 is back ordered). I'm praying that I have the sub in 4-6 weeks as they have a ton of these to build right now.
The cost of living is just sky rocketing right now in Ohio and I can't justify spending $2500 on the Paradigm Monitor system that really caught my eye and feel that anything less will probably not be a noticeable upgrade for a half deaf former bass addidct Maybe in a few years...but for now, I shall be content with a little less.

SO....guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...don don don da don da

OhioMike,
Sounds awesome, I was looking at the Sub too, what size room is it for?
Thanks.
post #3486 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandworms View Post

i am using a csi3 for a center so the system should be like this and sound ok?
rti10 frt
csi3 cnt
mon50 sur
mon30 rr
this should be good, if i understand correctly

Your center is weak compared to your fronts
post #3487 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeagles View Post

What about mine compared to my fronts, RTi10's and CSiA4, thats not to weak is it?
post #3488 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 AM

I believe the recommended center for the RTi10's is the CSi5 or the CSiA6.

The CSi5 is discontinued and very hard to find and the CSiA6 is something like $150.00 more.

Give the CSi3/A4 a shot. If your seating distance is not too far it will be fine. You can also make level adjustments in your receiver. I would only upgrade if you have difficulty hearing the dialog in movies and such.

If it sounds good, it is good. ~ Duke Ellington

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." ~ Peter Clemenza

Visit my site for gear and photos
post #3489 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1966 View Post

I believe the recommended center for the RTi10's is the CSi5 or the CSiA6.

The CSi5 is discontinued and very hard to find and the CSiA6 is something like $150.00 more.

Give the CSi3/A4 a shot. If your seating distance is not too far it will be fine. You can also make level adjustments in your receiver. I would only upgrade if you have difficulty hearing the dialog in movies and such.

This is tough, i am trying to fight my urge to go back to tweeter and just exhcange the CSiA4 for the CSiA6. If it really is the "better match", it my be worth it even for peice of mind to spend the extra on it.
post #3490 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Arrango,
Room is only 11x11x8. Very tiny.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #3491 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Good solid set up..and if the A2-300 hits anything like the A3-300, you may be making people mad..lol...I just got my A3-300 in yesterday and well, lets put it this way, I can turn my Onkyo reciever down to -45 and still feel it hitting...I tried it tis morning cause last night I just completely turned it off..lol. Anyway enjoy your new set up

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222

post #3492 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 AM

Any one know off hand if there is an authorized Polk dealer in Montana? I used the store locator on the Polk website and it sent me back up to Canada. If I can find the RTi10 deal then I will take a journey to the US this long weekend. TIA
Edit: Never mind. Found a Circuit City in Idaho but it looks like they only carry the M and Monitor series floor standers.
post #3493 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Do any of you guys know if the Yamaha 663 (95watts p/channel) would be able to handle My Polk RTi10's?

I was originally going to go with either the 1800 or the Pioneer 92. But i was just looking at my budget, and if i go with the 663 i can use a BB gift card and get it basically free. Then i can get a nice sub and some rears to make my set up 5.1. But if i go with the nice more expensive receivers, i'll probably have to just use my two towers and center channel for quite some time. I'm just not sure whats the smartest road to take here.

And in regards to the more expensive receivers, i can get the Pioneer 92 for $799 at Tweeter. Its $1300 at BB. So i'm just wondering if it would be smart to maybe jump on that deal, and add the rest of the speakers later. Or sacrafice and get the Yamaha 663 and add the speakers now.

The guy at Tweeter has one Pioneer 92 left and is holding it for me, which is why i am looking for suggestions. You guys know what your talking about.
post #3494 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

This is tough, i am trying to fight my urge to go back to tweeter and just exhcange the CSiA4 for the CSiA6. If it really is the "better match", it my be worth it even for peice of mind to spend the extra on it.

Quick! Hide your wallet!

Well, if budget is no concern, go for it. It does have the bigger 6-/12 woofers. But the cabinet is a bit bigger too. It's about 4" longer, but the biggest difference is the depth. A6 is 14" to 8-3/4 of the A4". If space is not a concern as well, no reason not too.

I still say try the A4 first. Unless not trying the A6 will keep you awake at night.

Seriously though. I'll bet Tweeter will have no problem letting you try both and return one. I would just check out their return policy first.

If it sounds good, it is good. ~ Duke Ellington

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." ~ Peter Clemenza

Visit my site for gear and photos
post #3495 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeagles View Post

thats what i was worried about, maybe i can sneak a new center past the waf
post #3496 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Calibrate the smaller center and you'll be fine. What you lose is depth and presence in dialog and soundtrack. However, the smaller centers are very good speakers and timbre match exactly the other RTis.

The 6xx series Yammies are a solid AVR. I heard my sons paired with RTiA3s and it was excellent. That said, some complain about the brightness of the Yammie/RTi combo and the A3s are smoother than the previous rev. In my room, I've had a Pio 1015 and a Denon 2307 on 8s and found them too bright. The HK wasn't. I'd at least take the 663 home and give it a spin. You can always return it.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #3497 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM

any feedbacks on the Polk RTi A3's?

Front - Polk RTi A3
Center - Polk CSi A4
Surrounds - Polk RTi A1
Sub - Polk PSW110

and can you guys recommend a good receiver for this set?
post #3498 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arango1 View Post

OhioMike,
Sounds awesome, I was looking at the Sub too, what size room is it for?
Thanks.

You will love the eD A2-300. I have a huge familyroom with cathedral ceiling and the sub fills it just fine. When showing it off with the lobby scene from the Matrix, I cranked it up a little and had my carpeted floor vibrating.
post #3499 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSX View Post

Front - Polk RTi A3
Center - Polk CSi A4
Surrounds - Polk RTi A1
Sub - Polk PSW110

Here's some reviews (mine included).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ia3/?reviews=1

For an unbiased review...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=38870

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #3500 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Here's some reviews (mine included).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ia3/?reviews=1

For an unbiased review...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=38870

thanks for the links. what receiver can you recommend for the RTi-based system that i posted above?
post #3501 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Polk sells the Fxi3 cheap directly on fleabay under the name Polkdirect. The Fxi3 should be a good match for the Rti speakers. It's looks it the warranty is the same as buying through an authorized dealer. Does anyone have experience with them?
post #3502 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvflix View Post

Polk sells the Fxi3 cheap directly on fleabay under the name Polkdirect. The Fxi3 should be a good match for the Rti speakers. It's looks it the warranty is the same as buying through an authorized dealer. Does anyone have experience with them?

I have four FXi3's in a 7.1 setup and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
post #3503 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The price is so cheap and from Polk directly. It made me wonder. Are the Fxi3 much differently new FxiA4 which is 2.5 times more? Thanks!
post #3504 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. The price is so cheap and from Polk directly. It made me wonder. Are the Fxi3 much differently new FxiA4 which is 2.5 times more? Thanks!

2.5 times more? Wow! I haven't heard the FXiA4 so maybe it is worth that kind of premium but if you look strictly at the specs they are virtually identical with the FXi3. Obviously, looking is different than listening.

I just checked prices and the FXi3 is going for $268 delivered while the FXi A4 is $300. The difference of $32 is only 12%...a long way from 250% (2.5 times).
post #3505 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I was considering a pair from them. They had white that just ended a couple of days ago, and wanted black. How sturdy are stands for these speakers?
post #3506 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've asked this before but didn't really get any answers...I'm looking for new fronts to go with my CS1 center...should I get the 50's or the 60's? Is there much difference?

Thanks.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
post #3507 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSX View Post

Front - Polk RTi A3
Center - Polk CSi A4
Surrounds - Polk RTi A1
Sub - Polk PSW110

What's your budget for a receiver? I'd also recommend a different subwoofer. The new series I hear is pretty good, but I'd steer away from their older stuff.
post #3508 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM

M50's have 2 Woofers and 1 tweeter..the M60's have 3 woofers and 1 tweeter..

If that extra woofer is worth it is really up to your own ears and budget
post #3509 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM

[quote=OhioMike;13879443]Well...I'm back After many days and countless hours of research I have decided that I was actually pretty darn content with my Monitor series system. While looking around at the most comparable competition, Bic Acoustech...Elemental Designs and Infinity Primus, I decided that I wasn't going to get much more for my money. Already having 4 Monitor speakers still remaining, my money seems better spent just tacking back on 3 more Polks and a new sub to get my 7.1 system back.

(sorry it had to be done)[/QUO
Welcome back Mike,
It's nice to see you, read you and hear you again
Polk tread was not the same without You
And nice woofer.
Can you post website where I can see it ???
post #3510 of 39204 Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post

M50's have 2 Woofers and 1 tweeter..the M60's have 3 woofers and 1 tweeter..

If that extra woofer is worth it is really up to your own ears and budget

Damnit...I knew someone was going to say that!

I guess I'll hold out for the 60's.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page