Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #38911 of 39435 Old 06-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
My floors are hardwood too and they're not unstable without the feet. I might get some round felt pads to put where the feet would screw into the plastic outriggers. I woulda put them on and forgot about it if my wife hadn't walked in as I was screwing them in and said "you're batshit crazy if you think you're putting those ugly-ass spikes on the bottom of those speakers!"
How do you like the OWM3? I assume you're using these as surrounds?

WTB: CHANE ARX SPEAKERS
Denon 4520CI - Polk 3.0 system (apartment life fml)
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
AlphaPie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38912 of 39435 Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
bumprunlogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Big city between DC and NYC
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I just sold my marty sub in its massive box. The guy came to pick it up and was completely unprepared for the size. Waiting to receive funds for the amp from a member and I'll be bassless... Now all I have are 3 polk subs fml

That's one huge haul I hope he had a lift of some kind.

Just a fella who loves good sound.
bumprunlogan is offline  
post #38913 of 39435 Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
viper186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
How do you like the OWM3? I assume you're using these as surrounds?
FYI I used them as side surrounds and rear surrounds in a 7.1 configuration along with Monitor 50's, 30's and a Cs1 and they worked quite well.
viper186 is online now  
post #38914 of 39435 Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
BNestico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Elysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I use the OWM3's as surround backs mounted to my cieling about 5 1/2 feet behind me, I had to bump them up a couple of dBs but they work great and are relatively unobtrusive. I was going to get 2 blackstones but opted for the OWMs.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
BNestico is offline  
post #38915 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
 
Kysersose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Keep things on topic. Thx

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Kysersose is offline  
post #38916 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Figured talking about polk OWM3 was on topic. Still need to get warned i guess


Crickets..

WTB: CHANE ARX SPEAKERS
Denon 4520CI - Polk 3.0 system (apartment life fml)
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
AlphaPie is offline  
post #38917 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
Kysersose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Figured talking about polk OWM3 was on topic. Still need to get warned i guess


Crickets..
I see that the admin and myself have had to step in recently to clean things up.
Just keep things on track, that's all we ask.

I won't debate it here. Have a problem, PM me or one of the other moderators/admin.

Thanks,

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Kysersose is offline  
post #38918 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Has anyone been able to run REW measurements with the UMIK-1 to see if the RTiA7 and the RTiA9 show any appreciable difference when crossed over at 80 Hz?

I know the crossover isn't a brick wall or a definitive line, but how much of a benefit do I get by having A9s crossed over at 80 Hz over the A7s. Other than the fact that they look big and bad. I do realize having the right subwoofers play a big part in the smooth transition.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #38919 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Has anyone been able to run REW measurements with the UMIK-1 to see if the RTiA7 and the RTiA9 show any appreciable difference when crossed over at 80 Hz?

I know the crossover isn't a brick wall or a definitive line, but how much of a benefit do I get by having A9s crossed over at 80 Hz over the A7s. Other than the fact that they look big and bad. I do realize having the right subwoofers play a big part in the smooth transition.
I thought thats what you were here for.

Long live the resistance!

P.S. still working on getting my system dialed in with REW.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is online now  
post #38920 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I thought thats what you were here for.

Long live the resistance!

P.S. still working on getting my system dialed in with REW.
Problem is I don't have a calibrated UMIK-1 to use with REW. I know a lot of guys out there do have the mic and the RTiA9 and A7 speakers.

All in all, with Audyssey's adjustments, one probably wouldn't hear a difference anyway.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #38921 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Member
 
steves12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hoping I can ask for some opinions out there, and hope this query is posted in the proper form for this site.... I currently run Lsi 15's as my mains. They are powered with a 350 watt 4 ohm amp, and I have been pleased with them in my 7.2 system. Now to my question... I'm thinking about upgrading the mains to Lsim 705's. I wonder however if they would provide very much difference in listening to music which is my primary concern.. my center is a Lsim 704, with Rti A3 high fronts, and dual subs. The listening area is 15 x 20 with 8ft ceilings, and another 20ft open to the right of my listening position. Avr powers surrounds and high fronts and is rated at 135 watts per. To close, I am vacillating between upgrading the mains or adding Lsim 703's as front highs with an additional seperate amp. I value any thoughts or opnions you may have . Thanks Steve....
steves12 is offline  
post #38922 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves12 View Post
Hoping I can ask for some opinions out there, and hope this query is posted in the proper form for this site.... I currently run Lsi 15's as my mains. They are powered with a 350 watt 4 ohm amp, and I have been pleased with them in my 7.2 system. Now to my question... I'm thinking about upgrading the mains to Lsim 705's. I wonder however if they would provide very much difference in listening to music which is my primary concern.. my center is a Lsim 704, with Rti A3 high fronts, and dual subs. The listening area is 15 x 20 with 8ft ceilings, and another 20ft open to the right of my listening position. Avr powers surrounds and high fronts and is rated at 135 watts per. To close, I am vacillating between upgrading the mains or adding Lsim 703's as front highs with an additional seperate amp. I value any thoughts or opnions you may have . Thanks Steve....
I'm honestly not sure how much of an upgrade that would be, but I must say that your current setup sounds pretty kickass!!

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
mr266 is offline  
post #38923 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Member
 
steves12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I'm honestly not sure how much of an upgrade that would be, but I must say that your current setup sounds pretty kickass!!
Thanks, I'm thankfull for what's already there. Upgradeitis is a seriously incapacitating mental state...and I have a bad case of it lol....
steves12 is offline  
post #38924 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves12 View Post
Hoping I can ask for some opinions out there, and hope this query is posted in the proper form for this site.... I currently run Lsi 15's as my mains. They are powered with a 350 watt 4 ohm amp, and I have been pleased with them in my 7.2 system. Now to my question... I'm thinking about upgrading the mains to Lsim 705's. I wonder however if they would provide very much difference in listening to music which is my primary concern.. my center is a Lsim 704, with Rti A3 high fronts, and dual subs. The listening area is 15 x 20 with 8ft ceilings, and another 20ft open to the right of my listening position. Avr powers surrounds and high fronts and is rated at 135 watts per. To close, I am vacillating between upgrading the mains or adding Lsim 703's as front highs with an additional seperate amp. I value any thoughts or opnions you may have . Thanks Steve....
LSiM 705s are amazing for music. I would upgrade the fronts to LSiM 705s and move the LSi15s to the back. LSiM 703s as front highs is kinda overkill, but if you do a lot of movies then go for it. My advice is try to keep the all front stage in the same series (LSiM) so all of them are timbre matched.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #38925 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
BNestico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Elysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I'd quit while your ahead, that system sounds like it should be devastating . What subs are you running?
BNestico is offline  
post #38926 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Member
 
steves12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
LSiM 705s are amazing for music. I would upgrade the fronts to LSiM 705s and move the LSi15s to the back. LSiM 703s as front highs is kinda overkill, but if you do a lot of movies then go for it. My advice is try to keep the all front stage in the same series (LSiM) so all of them are timbre matched.
Makes sense...thks. I've read good reviews about the 705... never heard them though. The 704 was a great upgrade over my old c400i...if I could increase the reproduction as much with the 705's I would find a way to get a pair...

Last edited by steves12; 06-22-2014 at 05:47 PM.
steves12 is offline  
post #38927 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Member
 
steves12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I'd quit while your ahead, that system sounds like it should be devastating . What subs are you running?
I have a dsw 660, and an old phase technology I bought 14 years ago. That old sub has good range, and a decent sound. Got lucky with it when I picked it up...paid $300.00 , and thought I had lost my mind lol....

Last edited by steves12; 06-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
steves12 is offline  
post #38928 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Problem is I don't have a calibrated UMIK-1 to use with REW. I know a lot of guys out there do have the mic and the RTiA9 and A7 speakers.

All in all, with Audyssey's adjustments, one probably wouldn't hear a difference anyway.
Calibrated? I bought mine from MiniDSP and it came with a calibration file you download.... didnt you do that? I know some other companies sell "calibrated" ones with I guess better calibration files, but my MiniDSP seems to be fine....

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is online now  
post #38929 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Calibrated? I bought mine from MiniDSP and it came with a calibration file you download.... didnt you do that? I know some other companies sell "calibrated" ones with I guess better calibration files, but my MiniDSP seems to be fine....

That's actually the one I was referring to. I don't have the UMIK-1. I was going to get one, but I don't have a miniDSP, therefore, any measurements I made on my RTiA9s or subs would be purely academic as I could not change anything without the miniDSP.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #38930 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Calibrated? I bought mine from MiniDSP and it came with a calibration file you download.... didnt you do that? I know some other companies sell "calibrated" ones with I guess better calibration files, but my MiniDSP seems to be fine....
The frequency response for the UMIK-1 from miniDSP is 20Hz - 20KHz (with calibration loaded). The frequency response for the UMIK-1 that Cross Spectrum sells is 5Hz - 25KHz. Also Cross Spectrum provide calibration files for 0, 45 and 90 degrees angles of incidence. I think the file from miniDSP is 0 degrees only, but I'm not sure because the one I have is from Cross Spectrum. I did some REW measurements this weekend on my 705s and Audyssey is definitely screwing them up killing all bass below 100Hz. That's why I'm listening to music on my 705s only via Oppo 105D + Parasound P5 + Emotiva XPA-3. I use the Marantz SR7008 only for movies and TV. Sometimes I feel the need to sell the 706C and the 703s and keep the 705s only, but my daughters love to watch movies almost every weekend.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #38931 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
That's actually the one I was referring to. I don't have the UMIK-1. I was going to get one, but I don't have a miniDSP, therefore, any measurements I made on my RTiA9s or subs would be purely academic as I could not change anything without the miniDSP.
It could still be helpful to see how your speakers and sub respond in graph form to other positions and also see how your room response looks in other locations.

Where do you live again?
EndersShadow is online now  
post #38932 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
It could still be helpful to see how your speakers and sub respond in graph form to other positions and also see how your room response looks in other locations.

Where do you live again?
SoCal.

I actually have an SPL meter (Radio Shack) that I used to place and set the crossovers for my speakers and subs. It's not accurate below 40 Hz though. I actually have a great response now that I have double stacked my XV15se subs in the corner. I no longer have cancellation from the RTiA9s like I did before. The "SE" upgraded drivers perform way better than the originals too.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #38933 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
PretzelFisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The frequency response for the UMIK-1 from miniDSP is 20Hz - 20KHz (with calibration loaded). The frequency response for the UMIK-1 that Cross Spectrum sells is 5Hz - 25KHz. Also Cross Spectrum provide calibration files for 0, 45 and 90 degrees angles of incidence. I think the file from miniDSP is 0 degrees only, but I'm not sure because the one I have is from Cross Spectrum. I did some REW measurements this weekend on my 705s and Audyssey is definitely screwing them up killing all bass below 100Hz. That's why I'm listening to music on my 705s only via Oppo 105D + Parasound P5 + Emotiva XPA-3. I use the Marantz SR7008 only for movies and TV. Sometimes I feel the need to sell the 706C and the 703s and keep the 705s only, but my daughters love to watch movies almost every weekend.
Is this a issue with the room that Audyssey is trying to correct for?
PretzelFisch is online now  
post #38934 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The frequency response for the UMIK-1 from miniDSP is 20Hz - 20KHz (with calibration loaded). The frequency response for the UMIK-1 that Cross Spectrum sells is 5Hz - 25KHz. Also Cross Spectrum provide calibration files for 0, 45 and 90 degrees angles of incidence. I think the file from miniDSP is 0 degrees only, but I'm not sure because the one I have is from Cross Spectrum. I did some REW measurements this weekend on my 705s and Audyssey is definitely screwing them up killing all bass below 100Hz. That's why I'm listening to music on my 705s only via Oppo 105D + Parasound P5 + Emotiva XPA-3. I use the Marantz SR7008 only for movies and TV. Sometimes I feel the need to sell the 706C and the 703s and keep the 705s only, but my daughters love to watch movies almost every weekend.
Hmmmm now I wonder if I should have bought there's instead lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
SoCal.

I actually have an SPL meter (Radio Shack) that I used to place and set the crossovers for my speakers and subs. It's not accurate below 40 Hz though. I actually have a great response now that I have double stacked my XV15se subs in the corner. I no longer have cancellation from the RTiA9s like I did before. The "SE" upgraded drivers perform way better than the originals too.
Well how's about this.... Once I get things done with mine I can let you play with it.
EndersShadow is online now  
post #38935 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
Is this a issue with the room that Audyssey is trying to correct for?
Yes, I think it is. But even with Audyssey OFF the bass on my 705s is almost none. But if I bypass the SR7008 and use the P5 then the 705s come alive. If you check the pictures on My Multimedia Room you will see that my speakers are not in the best location, but I don't have more options.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #38936 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Member
 
slimDub13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Okc.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The frequency response for the UMIK-1 from miniDSP is 20Hz - 20KHz (with calibration loaded). The frequency response for the UMIK-1 that Cross Spectrum sells is 5Hz - 25KHz. Also Cross Spectrum provide calibration files for 0, 45 and 90 degrees angles of incidence. I think the file from miniDSP is 0 degrees only, but I'm not sure because the one I have is from Cross Spectrum. I did some REW measurements this weekend on my 705s and Audyssey is definitely screwing them up killing all bass below 100Hz. That's why I'm listening to music on my 705s only via Oppo 105D + Parasound P5 + Emotiva XPA-3. I use the Marantz SR7008 only for movies and TV. Sometimes I feel the need to sell the 706C and the 703s and keep the 705s only, but my daughters love to watch movies almost every weekend.
If you dont mind my asking.

What in your opinion would be a good upgrade (especially for music and some movie ) from the A7s if i had to make a choice between the A9,703 or 705.

My A7 has been pretty impressive with movies and so-so with music, at least to my ears.

Also thinking of upgrading the Onkyo NR818 to either a Pioneer Elite or a Denon X4000 ( most likely).

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
slimDub13 is offline  
post #38937 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post
If you dont mind my asking.

What in your opinion would be a good upgrade (especially for music and some movie ) from the A7s if i had to make a choice between the A9,703 or 705.

My A7 has been pretty impressive with movies and so-so with music, at least to my ears.

Also thinking of upgrading the Onkyo NR818 to either a Pioneer Elite or a Denon X4000 ( most likely).
I went from A9s to 705s and it's night and day difference specially for music. The RTi A series was to bright for my taste, especially for music. Do not waste your time upgrading from A7 to A9. If music is your priority then go with LSiM 705s. The Denon X4000 would be an upgrade over your 818 only if you have or plan to have dual subwoofers.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #38938 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Member
 
slimDub13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Okc.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I went from A9s to 705s and it's night and day difference specially for music. The RTi A series was to bright for my taste, especially for music. Do not waste your time upgrading from A7 to A9. If music is your priority then go with LSiM 705s. The Denon X4000 would be an upgrade over your 818 only if you have or plan to have dual subwoofers.
Thanks for your insight.
And yes i do have dual LV12rs

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
slimDub13 is offline  
post #38939 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
PretzelFisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post
Thanks for your insight.
And yes i do have dual LV12rs
with that kind of sub you would be good with the 703.
PretzelFisch is online now  
post #38940 of 39435 Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Member
 
slimDub13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Okc.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
with that kind of sub you would be good with the 703.
Interesting you would say that as that is a question i have wrestled with as well.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 703s and have often wondered about the benefit to step up to the 705s if i have good subs to pair with the 703s.

In any case i know the upgrade path is going to be with the LSims if i do stay with the Polks.

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
slimDub13 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off