Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #39001 of 39009 Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Member
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Hey Polkies. Question for you all about the possibility of getting some bookshelf speakers to mount for my projection screen room. I'm debating between going with a pair of RTi4 ($75) or RTi6 ($125). I have a Bic F12 subwoofer so I tend to crossover my speakers at about 80-90hz. The room is mostly for HT, but some music listening as well. Is there any benefit of going with the RTi6 if I have a subwoofer? Aren't I only missing out on some lower frequencies that the sub will cover anyways?

Any help regarding this would be very helpful. Thanks!
I have owned both an compared them while crossed over to subs at 80hz. The 4's imaged better in the mid and upper mid frequencies. Voices were more well defined. The 6's provided a bit more bass impact at higher volumes and sound slightly more laid back than the 4's. They were very similar performers. You will be impressed with either for the money. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Seth
fokakis1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39002 of 39009 Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Hey Polkies. Question for you all about the possibility of getting some bookshelf speakers to mount for my projection screen room. I'm debating between going with a pair of RTi4 ($75) or RTi6 ($125). I have a Bic F12 subwoofer so I tend to crossover my speakers at about 80-90hz. The room is mostly for HT, but some music listening as well. Is there any benefit of going with the RTi6 if I have a subwoofer? Aren't I only missing out on some lower frequencies that the sub will cover anyways?

Any help regarding this would be very helpful. Thanks!
This is actually a tough call. The 6's do have a bit more bass, but they're also not as "forward" as the 4's which means they don't have the same sound. I do think the 6's are a bit more detailed, but I love the sound of the 4's, especially as surrounds. If you're going with four or more speakers, I'd definitely go with the 6's up front, but definitely consider the 4's as the surrounds.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
mr266 is offline  
post #39003 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
This is actually a tough call. The 6's do have a bit more bass, but they're also not as "forward" as the 4's which means they don't have the same sound. I do think the 6's are a bit more detailed, but I love the sound of the 4's, especially as surrounds. If you're going with four or more speakers, I'd definitely go with the 6's up front, but definitely consider the 4's as the surrounds.
I can vouch for that configuration. We use Rti6 for mains and Rti4's as surround with a Csi3 and a small 8" sub in the family room for TV and casual music and they are perfectly matched... also perform respectably for their size.

OTOH there's a significant difference in sound between those in the family room and the Rti towers we have for primary HT duty in the living room.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #39004 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Alright! Thanks for the responses fellas. Now, if I'm running a Bic F12 subwoofer with either of these speakers, the bass that the RTi6 puts out is moot, correct? I cross speakers over around 80-90hz so neither the RTi4 or RTi6 will benefit from a frequency response in the sub 80hz range. Is it the midrange, then, that people find more "full" on the 6 compared to the 4?

The 4's could be had for about $75, whereas the 6's could be be purchased for around $125. I already have bipolar fluance for surrounds so I don't plan on ever moving these as surrounds. I then of course would have to get the center channel: CSi3 or CSi5. I hear the CSi5 blows it's younger brother out of the water, but it's substantially larger.

My room is 12x21 with 7 foot ceilings. Mostly for HT, but also music as well. I rarely do two channel music listening so I'm always running my stuff with the sub. Would the 4's be ok for this size room, or is it just better to get the 6's to be safe?
butie120 is offline  
post #39005 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Alright! Thanks for the responses fellas. Now, if I'm running a Bic F12 subwoofer with either of these speakers, the bass that the RTi6 puts out is moot, correct? I cross speakers over around 80-90hz so neither the RTi4 or RTi6 will benefit from a frequency response in the sub 80hz range. Is it the midrange, then, that people find more "full" on the 6 compared to the 4?

The 4's could be had for about $75, whereas the 6's could be be purchased for around $125. I already have bipolar fluance for surrounds so I don't plan on ever moving these as surrounds. I then of course would have to get the center channel: CSi3 or CSi5. I hear the CSi5 blows it's younger brother out of the water, but it's substantially larger.

My room is 12x21 with 7 foot ceilings. Mostly for HT, but also music as well. I rarely do two channel music listening so I'm always running my stuff with the sub. Would the 4's be ok for this size room, or is it just better to get the 6's to be safe?
To be perfectly honest and up-front, I would say that the 6's are going to sound a bit warmer and give you a much fuller speaker sound. The crossovers and drivers will help to supplement a smooth transition into the Bic F-12.

Even when crossed over at 80 Hz, you are going to hear sounds all the way down to say 40 Hz. It's just the way the crossovers are designed. The larger drivers are going to go down below the crossover point a bit. Crossovers are not brick walls. They are gradual attenuation of the frequencies.

If you have the room, and the money, the RTi6's are going to be a wonderful addition to your theater.

Bottom line, crossed over at 80 Hz, you will get a deeper, richer, fuller sound from the RTi6s.
RobLee likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
climber07 is offline  
post #39006 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
PathofNeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an Onkyo TX-NR616 and am looking to get entry level speakers for a bedroom. I'm considering a pair of 75T's , 25C, and 45Bs for surround. I've seen these go for good prices when on sale (I'm in no hurry) and was curious if you think my receiver is enough to power this setup? I will not be needing a sub because it's a secondary home theater for casual use and no need for the boom.

I'm also curious how much difference would moving up to an Onkyo TX-NR818 make (115 vs 135w)? Nothing is set in stone but I'd like to know specifically about these 2 receivers for the above setup. I have the NR818 in my living room and if it's not going to make a huge difference (with the 75T's) then I'll keep it there.. but if it does then I have no problem selling my NR616 and getting a better amp for the main room. I realize that most will recommend a sub but the room it's going in is like 12x12 and it's kinda crowded already with a low ceiling so as long as those 75T's can pump out SOME bass then I'll be happy.

edit--> I may as well ask what's the difference between the Monitor 70 series II vs 75T? Polk has a pair of 70 II's on sale for a good price now. Would the 25C and 45Bs still be an ideal match for these too?

Thanks.

Last edited by PathofNeo; 07-10-2014 at 04:40 PM.
PathofNeo is offline  
post #39007 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post
I have an Onkyo TX-NR616 and am looking to get entry level speakers for a bedroom. I'm considering a pair of 75T's , 25C, and 45Bs for surround. I've seen these go for good prices when on sale (I'm in no hurry) and was curious if you think my receiver is enough to power this setup? I will not be needing a sub because it's a secondary home theater for casual use and no need for the boom.

I'm also curious how much difference would moving up to an Onkyo TX-NR818 make (115 vs 135w)? Nothing is set in stone but I'd like to know specifically about these 2 receivers for the above setup. I have the NR818 in my living room and if it's not going to make a huge difference (with the 75T's) then I'll keep it there.. but if it does then I have no problem selling my NR616 and getting a better amp for the main room. I realize that most will recommend a sub but the room it's going in is like 12x12 and it's kinda crowded already with a low ceiling so as long as those 75T's can pump out SOME bass then I'll be happy.

edit--> I may as well ask what's the difference between the Monitor 70 series II vs 75T? Polk has a pair of 70 II's on sale for a good price now. Would the 25C and 45Bs still be an ideal match for these too?

Thanks.

1) power wise no difference. I would recommend external amps.
2) all monitor series are the same. Thy just look different.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #39008 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
PathofNeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I won't hear a difference between the recievers or towers? if your talking about recievers then I figured the extra (little bit of) power of the NR818 would make an impact but didn't know by how much. I'm trying to keep this as cheap and simple of a solution as possible so no subs or external amps. I'll be laying in bed and watching non-critical shows/films and listening to music so I'm hoping either one of my receiever will adequately power it.

About the towers.. I was curious if the newer design of the 75T made any difference. From what I gather, the 70's tweeter is placed at a lower location (which may be beneficial) and is magnetically shielded. If they both sound the same then I'll go with what's cheaper.
PathofNeo is offline  
post #39009 of 39009 Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post
I won't hear a difference between the recievers or towers? if your talking about recievers then I figured the extra (little bit of) power of the NR818 would make an impact but didn't know by how much. I'm trying to keep this as cheap and simple of a solution as possible so no subs or external amps. I'll be laying in bed and watching non-critical shows/films and listening to music so I'm hoping either one of my receiever will adequately power it.

About the towers.. I was curious if the newer design of the 75T made any difference. From what I gather, the 70's tweeter is placed at a lower location (which may be beneficial) and is magnetically shielded. If they both sound the same then I'll go with what's cheaper.
the primary sonic benefit of the 818 over your 616 is the inclusion of audyssey xt32 in the 818 - not the minimal difference in power ratings between the two avr's.

the new monitors and the monitor series II's (and the first gen monitors for that matter) have so close a sonic signature that it is not worth worrying about differences between them. I agree on get whichever one you can find cheaper.

for casual listening in my bedroom i use a pair of monitor 60's and a cs1 powered of an older denon 1611 and have no complaints. i was at one time running a full 7.1 (monitor 70's, cs2, monitor 60's for surrounds and monitor 40's as heights) set up off the 1611 and did run into power problems at near reference levels. but for most peoples normal viewing habits in a bedroom environment a lower powered avr is likely just fine. however don't discard the benefits of audyssey xt32 if you do decide to move up the onkyo avr ladder.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off