Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1302 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 1300  1301  1302 1303  1304  ... Last
Speakers > Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
blkicevic's Avatar blkicevic 02:33 PM 07-24-2014
LOL! as i appreciate the suggestion, I would simply say that at this point i am still in mourning over the loss of the right and center Pinnacle so maybe i am making irrational decisions on purchases but at this time I prefer the Floor towers. Not saying they sound better but they do look Mean and sexy as Hell!

enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 04:22 PM 07-24-2014
If you plan to keep that Pinnacle sub then get the A7s. The A7 goes deeper than the subwoofer you have. The Pinnacle Sub100 roll off at 40Hz.
Attached: 401pinn.4.jpg (22.1 KB) 
Ivwolfevi 08:19 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
What matters most is if they sound good to you. If they do then I would just enjoy them.

Now, if you ask for my personal opinion, I would ask you how much did you spend on that set up.
I spent about 1800 without speaker cable.
isaac415's Avatar isaac415 12:01 AM 07-25-2014
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Polk set up and I am considering Paradigm as an upgrade soon in the future and found a good deal on a cc390 center speaker on craigslist. How much better would Paradigm cc390 plus monitor 9 or 11s and surrounds (ideas on surrounds?) be than Polk rti8 and Fxi5 and csi5?

Anyone with experience with both?

Please let me know.
Thanks!
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 12:38 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivwolfevi View Post
I spent about 1800 without speaker cable.
That includes the AVR? Again if you like the sound them don't worry about it and enjoy them.

Personal opinion, I would of gone with HTD Level 2.
biglen's Avatar biglen 05:36 PM 07-29-2014
Does anyone know anything about the Polk Patio 200 speakers? I can't find any info on them, other than they sell them at BB. My son works there, and they retail for $200, but I can get them for $92, with his discount. I have a set of Yamaha NS-AW150's on my deck, but they sound like poo. Think the Polk's would be a big improvement?
climber07's Avatar climber07 06:13 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Polk Patio 200 speakers? I can't find any info on them, other than they sell them at BB. My son works there, and they retail for $200, but I can get them for $92, with his discount. I have a set of Yamaha NS-AW150's on my deck, but they sound like poo. Think the Polk's would be a big improvement?
Why they have them labeled as Polk 200 is beyond me. They are Polk Audio Atrium 5 speakers. They are pretty nice.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium5

Grab them and run for $95. Their MSRP is $299.
biglen's Avatar biglen 07:26 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Why they have them labeled as Polk 200 is beyond me. They are Polk Audio Atrium 5 speakers. They are pretty nice.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium5

Grab them and run for $95. Their MSRP is $299.
My son said the box also says "Patio 200". You are 100% sure they are the 5's?
climber07's Avatar climber07 07:51 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
My son said the box also says "Patio 200". You are 100% sure they are the 5's?
They are. Look at the specs on BestBuy.com
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 09:34 PM 07-29-2014
Patio 200 is not the same as Atrium5. The case on the Atrium series is made according to military and industrial specifications (ASTM D5894-UV Salt Fog, Mil Standard 810 Immersion, Mil-Std 883 Method 1009.8 for salt and corrosion) and it's what Polk Audio call all-weather speaker. The Patio 200 and Patio 25 are more like home use outdoor speaker.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/patio25
blkicevic's Avatar blkicevic 06:47 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If you plan to keep that Pinnacle sub then get the A7s. The A7 goes deeper than the subwoofer you have. The Pinnacle Sub100 roll off at 40Hz.
Well just when you think the worlds a crappy place something comes along and makes you rethink the way the games played. After research i found that My Pinnacle speakers have a 12 year Warranty. I called the dealer i purchased them from and he asked me to bring them by his shop. 4 hours later i was waiting for delivery of three replacement speakers. Yes he not only replaced the center and right main but the left one as well! with that said my FXia4 set arrived and am pleased with them so far. I will be replacing the pinnacle sub though as suggested. Not for sound issues but to have that room to rolloff at a lower hz if needed!.
laserjock II's Avatar laserjock II 08:51 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post
Well just when you think the worlds a crappy place something comes along and makes you rethink the way the games played. After research i found that My Pinnacle speakers have a 12 year Warranty. I called the dealer i purchased them from and he asked me to bring them by his shop. 4 hours later i was waiting for delivery of three replacement speakers. Yes he not only replaced the center and right main but the left one as well! with that said my FXia4 set arrived and am pleased with them so far. I will be replacing the pinnacle sub though as suggested. Not for sound issues but to have that room to rolloff at a lower hz if needed!.
They're warrantied for damage by a ladder?
Heck of a warranty.
blkicevic's Avatar blkicevic 09:42 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
They're warrantied for damage by a ladder?
Heck of a warranty.
In short "No, They are not!"
But i will say, and not to mention any names, that my "Dealer", who runs a security and home automation business, is a client of mine and always needs I.T. advice!
I am grateful for his assistance!
laserjock II's Avatar laserjock II 10:04 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post
In short "No, They are not!"
But i will say, and not to mention any names, that my "Dealer", who runs a security and home automation business, is a client of mine and always needs I.T. advice!
I am grateful for his assistance!
Sweet!
chi_guy50's Avatar chi_guy50 12:21 PM 07-30-2014
I have been debating whether to upgrade my current 11.1 Monitor system in the living room to RTi's, but I have a problem accommodating the timbre-matched front heights and surround backs. Even a small bookie such as the RTiA1/RTi4 is too large (viz. deep) for the space/WAF. I am currently using OWM5's for the FH & SB; additionally, I also have a set of TL2's lying around that I was thinking of selling.

Can anyone offer any guidance on the relative suitability of either the OWM5 or TL2 as FH and SB together with, say, a front of RTi8/CSi5? (N.B.: My current surrounds are in-ceiling 80F/X-RT's and SW is PSW505.)
climber07's Avatar climber07 12:24 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Patio 200 is not the same as Atrium5. The case on the Atrium series is made according to military and industrial specifications (ASTM D5894-UV Salt Fog, Mil Standard 810 Immersion, Mil-Std 883 Method 1009.8 for salt and corrosion) and it's what Polk Audio call all-weather speaker. The Patio 200 and Patio 25 are more like home use outdoor speaker.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/patio25
They have completely different specs than the ones listed on BB.com. The specs and pics for the patio 200 is identical to the Atrium 5 except for the mil-std ratings. I think that is where the cost savings comes into play. The Patio 200s are weather resistant outdoor speakers as well.

Patio 200 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-pat...&skuId=5641007

Atrium 5 - http://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium5
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 12:49 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I have been debating whether to upgrade my current 11.1 Monitor system in the living room to RTi's, but I have a problem accommodating the timbre-matched front heights and surround backs. Even a small bookie such as the RTiA1/RTi4 is too large (viz. deep) for the space/WAF. I am currently using OWM5's for the FH & SB; additionally, I also have a set of TL2's lying around that I was thinking of selling.

Can anyone offer any guidance on the relative suitability of either the OWM5 or TL2 as FH and SB together with, say, a front of RTi8/CSi5? (N.B.: My current surrounds are in-ceiling 80F/X-RT's and SW is PSW505.)
TL2 is timbre match with RTi series so go with TL2.
biglen's Avatar biglen 07:47 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
They have completely different specs than the ones listed on BB.com. The specs and pics for the patio 200 is identical to the Atrium 5 except for the mil-std ratings. I think that is where the cost savings comes into play. The Patio 200s are weather resistant outdoor speakers as well.

Patio 200 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-pat...&skuId=5641007

Atrium 5 - http://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium5
My son brought home the 200's today, and I hooked them up. They sound very muddy, and my $70 Yamaha's sound much better. Would the 200's get less muddy as they break in? I have the treble all the way up, and they still don't have good highs.
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 08:28 PM 07-30-2014
I had a pair of Atrium 5 and they were very bright. Never heard the Patio 200.
climber07's Avatar climber07 09:47 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
My son brought home the 200's today, and I hooked them up. They sound very muddy, and my $70 Yamaha's sound much better. Would the 200's get less muddy as they break in? I have the treble all the way up, and they still don't have good highs.
They have 5-way binding posts. Do you have the jumpers on the posts (black to black and red to red)?
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 11:22 PM 07-30-2014
Atrium 5 and Patio 200 have 5-way binding pots, not Dual 5-ways binding posts so there is no plates or jumpers in the Atrium 5 neither in the Patio 200.
Attached: atrium5.jpg (34.4 KB)  atrium52.jpg (56.9 KB) 
biglen's Avatar biglen 05:57 AM 07-31-2014
There are no jumpers on my 200's.
climber07's Avatar climber07 10:20 AM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Atrium 5 and Patio 200 have 5-way binding pots, not Dual 5-ways binding posts so there is no plates or jumpers in the Atrium 5 neither in the Patio 200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
There are no jumpers on my 200's.
I see. I'm dumb. Move on, nothing to see here. LOL

I recommend playing some sine sweep test tones through your speakers to check the tweeters. Click on the test tones, when the next page comes up, right click on the file and download to a thumb drive.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests...ones_index.php
biglen's Avatar biglen 10:23 AM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I see. I'm dumb. Move on, nothing to see here. LOL

I recommend playing some sine sweep test tones through your speakers to check the tweeters. Click on the test tones, when the next page comes up, right click on the file and download to a thumb drive.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests...ones_index.php
I sent them back to BB with my son today. He's going to see what his discount will be on the Atrium 5's. I'm curious to see if they are brighter than the 200's.
climber07's Avatar climber07 03:12 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I sent them back to BB with my son today. He's going to see what his discount will be on the Atrium 5's. I'm curious to see if they are brighter than the 200's.
I'm curious too.

Which receiver do you have and how long is the run of speaker wire to connect them (and wire gauge)?
biglen's Avatar biglen 03:22 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I'm curious too.

Which receiver do you have and how long is the run of speaker wire to connect them (and wire gauge)?
I had an old Sony laying around, and I would think it was plenty of power to run the speakers. I hooked them up using 18 gauge wire, just for testing purposes, and only used about 5 ft of wire to each speaker. I hooked up the 200's, and the Yamaha NS-AW150BL's, had my son turn his back, and asked him which ones sounded better. He said the second ones sound 10 times better, and those were the Yamaha's. Here are the specs to the receiver:

Sony STR-DE310 Specifications

Audio power specifications
POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL
HARMONIC DISTORTION
With 8-ohm load, both
channels driven, from 20 -
20,000 Hz, rated 100 watts
per channel minimum RMS
power, with no more than
0.1 % total harmonic
distortion from 250
milliwatts to rated output.

Amplifier section

Dynamic power
output
Frequency
response
USA model:
8 ohms: 150 W + 150 W
4 ohms: 210 W + 210 W
climber07's Avatar climber07 04:25 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I had an old Sony laying around, and I would think it was plenty of power to run the speakers. I hooked them up using 18 gauge wire, just for testing purposes, and only used about 5 ft of wire to each speaker. I hooked up the 200's, and the Yamaha NS-AW150BL's, had my son turn his back, and asked him which ones sounded better. He said the second ones sound 10 times better, and those were the Yamaha's. Here are the specs to the receiver:

Sony STR-DE310 Specifications
Should have been fine. Not sure why they sounded like poopoo. I've never heard them, but I did hear some small Polk speakers at a Pacific Sales and they sounded ok. Good thing you can take 'em back and audition some more.

Did you have any room correction ran for the old speakers?
biglen's Avatar biglen 04:55 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Should have been fine. Not sure why they sounded like poopoo. I've never heard them, but I did hear some small Polk speakers at a Pacific Sales and they sounded ok. Good thing you can take 'em back and audition some more.

Did you have any room correction ran for the old speakers?
No room correction. My son just got home, and with his discount, I can get the Atrium 5's for $185. I had him look up the Def Tech AW5500's also, which are $199 each retail, and with his discount, I can get them for $82 each. I think I would be stupid to not pick up the Def Techs, no?
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 05:18 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
No room correction. My son just got home, and with his discount, I can get the Atrium 5's for $185. I had him look up the Def Tech AW5500's also, which are $199 each retail, and with his discount, I can get them for $82 each. I think I would be stupid to not pick up the Def Techs, no?
Get both, audition them at your home and keep the one sounds better for you. The Def Tech has better specifications so I would expect to sound better than the Atrium 5, at least with more bass.
wtxgringo's Avatar wtxgringo 02:12 PM 08-07-2014
Wow, had to scroll to page 5 to find the Polkies lol. Kinda quiet in here since my last visit I guess. My Polks are still going strong, sounding awesome. My cdp did bite the dust end of June, had some big storms so not sure if that was it or not, nonetheless sent it in to Teac for repair & that cost $154 plus shipping both ways; they replaced the servo mechanism & now it's back & sounds just as great! Not so pricey considering trying to find another comparable cdp was $$$. Used the Marantz a couple times while it was out & just didn't sound as good! Glad to have it back. Hope everyone's having a great summer. It actually rained a bunch here for something different, now it's just plain HOT lol. Did go to Onkyo just now & purchased the extended warranty for my 818; peace of mind doncha know. Sis came out for visit & I tried to impress her with my Polks & setup in general, but she's a bit electronically challenged lol, oh well, her loss hehe. Been busy with my yard, got lots of purty flowers so here's a small sample.
Attached: 2014-07-27 08.02.19.jpg (348.5 KB) 
Tags: Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
First ... 1300  1301  1302 1303  1304  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop