post #39241 of 39250 Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post
I've just been browsing speakers lately and had questions regarding a couple different speakers.

I currently have the Polk Rti8's as my fronts and a CSi3 center. How much of an upgrade are the Polk RTi10's or 12's? I know my center could use and upgrade.

How are the Polk LSi series of speakers? I doubt I'll ever own these, but I'm curious if these are just on another level than the RTi's.

I've only heard Polk speakers really, and was curious about a couple other brands those being Klipsch and Infinity. Would the Infinity P363's be a downgrade to the RTi8's? What would be comparable in the Klipsch lineup of speakers with the RTi line?

Thank you!
If you want an upgrade then I would recommend the LSi / LSiM series. The RTi10 and RTi12 you will get better mids and more bass. However, if you've got a good subwoofer I wouldn't bother with either one. I would suggest upgrading the center channel instead with the CSi6.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39242 of 39250 Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What could I expect to get out of an excellent condition CSi3 center speaker?
post #39243 of 39250 Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I've just been browsing speakers lately and had questions regarding a couple different speakers.

I currently have the Polk Rti8's as my fronts and a CSi3 center. How much of an upgrade are the Polk RTi10's or 12's? I know my center could use and upgrade.

How are the Polk LSi series of speakers? I doubt I'll ever own these, but I'm curious if these are just on another level than the RTi's.

I've only heard Polk speakers really, and was curious about a couple other brands those being Klipsch and Infinity. Would the Infinity P363's be a downgrade to the RTi8's? What would be comparable in the Klipsch lineup of speakers with the RTi line?

Thank you!
As Gus mentioned the 10/12 wont be much of an upgrade assuming you are using subs.

P363 would be a downgrade from what I have read but even if it's not the best it would be is a lateral move.

Based on price only the Klipsch comps would be RTi A5 vs. RF52, RTiA7 vs. RF62, RTi A9 vs RF82. Obviously with looking for deals you can get better prices from time to time but this would be the general comparison.

Also I would definitely look at upgrading the CSi3. In my living room I have RTi 4 with CSi 3 while my basement is RTi A5 with CSi5. Obviously the rooms are not the same but the difference in what you get from the bookselfs against the towers is not a huge difference with the sub handling the low end but I think the 5 provides a clear advantage over the 3 and with the center being the heaviest lifter in surround that is the one place that I would make sure stands out.

Quote:
What could I expect to get out of an excellent condition CSi3 center speaker?
Polk Ebay store sells them for $135 new in box so you can use that for a basis.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #39244 of 39250 Old 11-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. Definitely would like to try out a new brand of speakers sometime, but I certainly love the Polks!

I'll definitely focus on getting that center upgraded.
post #39245 of 39250 Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is a low-end Polk system better than a $150 sound bar?

In my big, open living room, I have a 3.0 with a CS10 center and Monitor 30 L/R. I want to move the Monitor 30s to my media room as rear surrounds. I want to replace them in the living room with Monitor 40s or a sound bar. Similar cost for either option. Sound bar gets me Bluetooth and a cleaner look. Will sound quality from CS10 and the 40s be significantly better?

Current receiver is a Pioneer VSX919. System use is 99% tv.

Last edited by Glenn_Law; 11-15-2014 at 09:13 PM.
post #39246 of 39250 Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Law View Post
Will sound quality from CS10 and the 40s be significantly better?
Better than a Soundbar = YES by far.

Cleaner = NO

To put it in perspective I have in my main system downstairs the following:

LSi 15
LSiC
LSi F/X
B&K 375 @ 4 ohm amp

I have upstairs: Polk Surroundbar 1000

For what I need it for upstairs the Soundbar works great for just TV. But for me I do movies, lots of TV shows are in 5.1 now, so the extra speakers are worth it.

I'd say if you want the Surroundbar and dont feel you need anything else then maybe go for it.

Alternately you could go for a set of RTi A3's and forget a center entirely. That would be even better sound.

I dont like the 40's because they stick out to far off the wall because they dont have keyhole mounts.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #39247 of 39250 Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Better than a Soundbar = YES by far.

Cleaner = NO

Thanks! that's what I needed to know. I can do the 40s for cheaper than the soundbar and I don't want to take a step back in audio quality. Besides, my living room has a nice recess (alcove?) for the tv so the sticking out part isn't a big issue, and WAF has already signed off on the 40s. I agree a keyhole mount should be included.

I like the RTiA3s but I work in the energy sector and I just can't spend that much $$$ while oil is $75/bbl.
post #39248 of 39250 Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM

Liked: 0
Rti4/rti6

I ordered a csi3 and pair of rti4's, and now polk's ebay store has the rti6 on sale for $155 while the rti4 is actually more at $175.

Would the rti4 be a better match with the csi3 up front since they share 5.25" drivers while the rti6 has a 6.5" driver? I'm sitting very close, only 6' away from the speakers and it'll be crossed over at 80hz with an outlaw sub. I'm going to put a pair of rti4's as the surrounds, but I could either do the rti4's or rti6's up front with the csi3. This is HT only, no music on this system. I know this topic has been covered but there are hundreds of search results on rti4's and 6's

My current situation is here: Upgrade my system?

Last edited by jeffs70chevelle; 11-24-2014 at 10:41 PM.
post #39249 of 39250 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs70chevelle View Post
I ordered a csi3 and pair of rti4's, and now polk's ebay store has the rti6 on sale for $155 while the rti4 is actually more at $175.

Would the rti4 be a better match with the csi3 up front since they share 5.25" drivers while the rti6 has a 6.5" driver? I'm sitting very close, only 6' away from the speakers and it'll be crossed over at 80hz with an outlaw sub. I'm going to put a pair of rti4's as the surrounds, but I could either do the rti4's or rti6's up front with the csi3. This is HT only, no music on this system. I know this topic has been covered but there are hundreds of search results on rti4's and 6's

My current situation is here: Upgrade my system?
I don't think you would notice a difference your avr will level match all the speakers
post #39250 of 39250 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie here. I read lots about all the new Polk speakers. I would love to know how my current vintage polk matches up to the new.

System includes:

Monitor 10B (pair)
Monitor 7B (pair rear)
HK 3770 (120 wpc)
Yamaha 600 cd
Hitachi turntable
Grado Black cartridge

Just upgraded to new receiver, these are now performing as I belive the were intended. I got these new and have been the only owner, the are in fantastic shape physically. Very interested inwhether it might be worth looking at new. I have two othe polk systdms,

Bedroom:

Monitor 40 series 2 (two pair)
PSW 111 Subwoofer
HK 3490 (120 wpc)
Denon DCM 450 cd player

Music: 1,600 recordings prefer jazz, acoustic new age, folk, celtic, and the broad range of rock, pop.

THOUGHTS ????????

Charlie
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page