Forum Jump: 

post #39331 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
Do you mean the 6?mi have a 5 which is a straight slope down and not rounded like the 6 but it is 5.5" at its shortest but that is only the very back edge because of the slope.
Yep sorry meant the 6. So it starts at near 8 and slopes to 5 at the very back - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39332 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advice needed

Hi all, I just ordered Polk Audio RTi A7's to upgrade my sound from just having a 5.1 Energy Take system along with taking C-field up on the free sub or adding money to get a better sub which I did but only added $50 to get the Polk Audio PSW125. My existing AV receiver is the Yamaha RX A730 from last year and since the sales person told me to just bi-amp the A7's I didn't think at first that I would need a new receiver to get the best sound out of the A7's but after being PMed by a member here regarding bi-amping not being something I should do with these speakers I am now considering a different receiver or amp or something to be able to get the most out of my purchases.

Since I couldn't yet PM anyone I need to thank "B26354" for setting me straight on the bi-amping issue. He reached out from another section on here and gave me some great advice.

So, after looking at some of the great setups on here I feel a bit intimidated for even posting but oh well. Ya gotta start somewhere... Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! It would be great if I could get a best and "worst" case scenario worst being the least amount of money I would have to spend to be able to hear these speakers after I get them at their best. Thanks in advance!

Also, I have read through at least some of the threads in this corner of the AV Forum and am wondering if there is anywhere to actually learn about "Polkisms"?

Last edited by Drumz; 12-02-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: because
post #39333 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
Ok looking to replace my A7 with a set of A9's. Want to put the promo to use but not liking the idea of having to run an external amp. current set up is
x4000
csia6
a7
fxia6=rears and surrounds
psa xv15x2
would like to see how many of us are running A9 with receiver alone and no amp, thoughts?
I tried powering the A9's with my 3312 when I first upgraded from A7's to A9's and to be honest the A9's sounded anemic running on just the AVR... even after a couple months time, giving the drivers a chance to break in. Adding the external amp really made a difference. I felt that the (rated) 125wpc of the 3312 might be enough, but alas it was not. The step up to 200wpc with the XPA5 was more than noticeable. Since then I have also upgraded the mains to an XPA2 (300wpc vs 200wpc on the XPA5) and was an additional bump.

Your mileage may vary. You may be satisfied with the 4000, but will always wonder how the A9's would sound with more power. BTW I've been considering moving up to the 4000 for the higher level sub EQ. By the time I actually do anything about it they'll probably be available refurbed and cheaper. Since you already have the pre-outs available on your AVR I'd say keep your eyes open for a good external amp on the used market.... just so you can experience the difference for yourself.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39334 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 159
You have a sub, try the a7 with the 730, I have monitor 65t on my 720 and they run fine, the a7 is a very efficient speaker you will probably be ok.
Drumz likes this.
post #39335 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Will do have been eyeing the xoa 3 channel just for the fronts
post #39336 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM

@ PretzelFisch Ya, thanks, I guess I should have said IF I need to. Since I am such a newB to all home theater gear and sound in general I am just not sure on what goes with what yet but I intend to learn more. Like I need another hobby to spend every dime I get on right? It has been building PC's with water cooling and overclocking and then playing the great games that come out all the time and I am not talking about Mahjong.

Anyway, thanks for the input! Anyone else?

Last edited by Drumz; 12-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #39337 of 39586 Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
CSi A6 + TSi400???

I know the CSi A6 is not timbre matched to the TSi400 but....Has anyone has tried it? If so, was it close enough(after audyssey)?

I have the CS20 and am not terribly impressed by it. I also have 50% coupon so CSiA6 would be $200. Wondering if it is worth a shot or if I really need to upgrade everything.

Thanks for any advice...
post #39338 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bernard View Post
Hey - great to know! Yes, I realize that, at the end of the day, a sat system will always have trouble competing with bookshelf/floor standing speakers. But aesthetically and practically speaking, the Blackstone line seems to best meet my needs right now. And I have yet to read a single negative professional review about them, so that gives me hope.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the TL350's. I was able to get them for $700, with a PSW111 sub included, which was the upper limit of my price range, but was only $200 more than the next step down (TL250). I figured that, even a little extra bump in quality would justify the extra bucks in the long run. Although I might have been willing to take you up on making a deal if I had read this earlier! ha ha

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard some negative rumblings (pun intended) on here about the PSW111, but professional reviewers seem to like it. What was your personal experience with this sub? I share a wall with a neighbour, so thundering bass is not something I desire, but rather something that with provide clarity and detail, filling in the low frequencies seamlessly without being overpowering (in a fairly small room). Do you think this sub is up to the task?

Cheers, Alan
Bonjour Alan (étant donné votre nom et que vous habitez le Canada, je suppose que vous êtes francophone),

I think for your purposes the PSW111 will do nicely; however I do think that you overpaid for the system you got. The TL350 is just plain pricy and I haven't seen it discounted much. Now, IIUC you are looking for a system composed of 5 small satellites and don't want to make the room for bookies let alone floorstanders; if so, the TL350 or TL250 will certainly fill the bill, but you do pay a premium for the small form factor.

FWIW, I purchased my TL250 from newegg.com two years ago for $320 shipped--and that included a free PSW111. I wound up selling the 8" 150W PSW111 and got the 12" 300W PSW505 instead, which I am currently using in my 7.1.4 living room set-up (FL/R-75t, C-CS2 Sii, SL/R & SBL/R-OWM5, FW-55t, FH-OWM5, TM-80F/X-RT). Like you, I do not want my living room cluttered by or aesthetically overwhelmed by speakers and that criterion has factored into my purchases.

You may well find that you are very happy with what you got, but if you have the room for a somewhat larger SW, the PSW505 is IMHO the best bang for the buck. Newegg is currently selling it for $200, but they sometimes list it for $180 and earlier this week for a short time you could have bought it for as low as $140 (listed for $170 with a $30 VISA checkout discount code). That's quite a bargain in my book! There are certainly better and more powerful subwoofers out there but not for anything approaching $200, and I like the performance and relatively small footprint of the PSW505 which at just over 15"H fits nicely under a side table in the corner of my living room.

You can read a number of newegg user reviews of the PSW111 here and the PSW505 here.

Salut, Jeff

P.S. You could get my used TL250 AND a brand new PSW505 for less than the $500 Crutchfield was asking for the TL250 plus PSW111!

Last edited by chi_guy50; 12-03-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #39339 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr325 View Post
I know the CSi A6 is not timbre matched to the TSi400 but....Has anyone has tried it? If so, was it close enough(after audyssey)?

I have the CS20 and am not terribly impressed by it. I also have 50% coupon so CSiA6 would be $200. Wondering if it is worth a shot or if I really need to upgrade everything. Thanks for any advice...
They will not match at all, but once you hear the CsiA6 you will realize how much better the Rti's really are over the Tsi's. Quite possibly you will end up replacing everything. I know, it happened to me. I had Monitor 70's and a CS2, then upgraded the center to a CS20, and, still not satisfied with the clarity of the center, finally bought a Csi5. From there, I realized just how much better the entire Rti line is compared to the Monitors and Tsi's and upgraded everything.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39340 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi all, I just ordered Polk Audio RTi A7's to upgrade my sound from just having a 5.1 Energy Take system along with taking C-field up on the free sub or adding money to get a better sub which I did but only added $50 to get the Polk Audio PSW125. My existing AV receiver is the Yamaha RX A730 ...
I agree with PretzelFisch. I have the RTiA7s as mains and a Harmon AVR310 (60w in stereo) and have no problem driving them to high levels. I was even surprised at the bass response from them. They are a "bright" speaker but I like the sound that way as it balances my 3 subs. I don't think you are missing anything by not having a high powered amp.
post #39341 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I tried powering the A9's with my 3312 when I first upgraded from A7's to A9's and to be honest the A9's sounded anemic running on just the AVR... even after a couple months time, giving the drivers a chance to break in. Adding the external amp really made a difference. I felt that the (rated) 125wpc of the 3312 might be enough, but alas it was not. The step up to 200wpc with the XPA5 was more than noticeable. Since then I have also upgraded the mains to an XPA2 (300wpc vs 200wpc on the XPA5) and was an additional bump.

Your mileage may vary. You may be satisfied with the 4000, but will always wonder how the A9's would sound with more power. BTW I've been considering moving up to the 4000 for the higher level sub EQ. By the time I actually do anything about it they'll probably be available refurbed and cheaper. Since you already have the pre-outs available on your AVR I'd say keep your eyes open for a good external amp on the used market.... just so you can experience the difference for yourself.
Was the improvement from the amp beneficial only at mid/high volume?
post #39342 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 114
For those of you that have ordered during the Friends & Family 50% Off Sale (before or this year)...what is the turnaround time typically like? I placed my order early Monday morning (12/1) and my order status is "in progress" at this time. I'm sure they've got tons of orders to fulfill but I thought I'd ask here anyway to see what people's experiences have been. Are they pretty good about emailing when it does ship and are they good with providing tracking info for FedEx Ground?

A/V Gear: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Screen | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (CC) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | 2ea PSA XV-15se | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Sonos Connect | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #39343 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
For those of you that have ordered during the Friends & Family 50% Off Sale (before or this year)...what is the turnaround time typically like? I placed my order early Monday morning (12/1) and my order status is "in progress" at this time. I'm sure they've got tons of orders to fulfill but I thought I'd ask here anyway to see what people's experiences have been. Are they pretty good about emailing when it does ship and are they good with providing tracking info for FedEx Ground?
I ordered Thursday. They canceled part of my order (no notice, no backorder etc) and shipped the rest promptly on Monday. I received my tracking number Monday, and order actually arrived today! (I paid ~25$ for FedEx shipping). I am still upset that they canceled part of the order but after talking with customer service they said they simply did not have back order capability and the promised to honor the previous price when the missing speaker comes back in stock.
post #39344 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Bonjour Alan (étant donné votre nom et que vous habitez le Canada, je suppose que vous êtes francophone),

I think for your purposes the PSW111 will do nicely; however I do think that you overpaid for the system you got. The TL350 is just plain pricy and I haven't seen it discounted much. Now, IIUC you are looking for a system composed of 5 small satellites and don't want to make the room for bookies let alone floorstanders; if so, the TL350 or TL250 will certainly fill the bill, but you do pay a premium for the small form factor.

FWIW, I purchased my TL250 from newegg.com two years ago for $320 shipped--and that included a free PSW111. I wound up selling the 8" 150W PSW111 and got the 12" 300W PSW505 instead, which I am currently using in my 7.1.4 living room set-up (FL/R-75t, C-CS2 Sii, SL/R & SBL/R-OWM5, FW-55t, FH-OWM5, TM-80F/X-RT). Like you, I do not want my living room cluttered by or aesthetically overwhelmed by speakers and that criterion has factored into my purchases.

You may well find that you are very happy with what you got, but if you have the room for a somewhat larger SW, the PSW505 is IMHO the best bang for the buck. Newegg is currently selling it for $200, but they sometimes list it for $180 and earlier this week for a short time you could have bought it for as low as $140 (listed for $170 with a $30 VISA checkout discount code). That's quite a bargain in my book! There are certainly better and more powerful subwoofers out there but not for anything approaching $200, and I like the performance and relatively small footprint of the PSW505 which at just over 15"H fits nicely under a side table in the corner of my living room.

You can read a number of newegg user reviews of the PSW111 here and the PSW505 here.

Salut, Jeff

P.S. You could get my used TL250 AND a brand new PSW505 for less than the $500 Crutchfield was asking for the TL250 plus PSW111!
LOL - the forum took my second name for some reason. Je m'appelle MacDonald, et mon francais est terrible!

Yeah, I probably overpaid, but if the sound is there, I won't mind. Certainly this system should put my 10-year-old Sony HTIB to shame. I'm hoping that the TL350 is a noticeable improvement over the tl250. I guess we'll see. I'm already experiencing buyers guilt!

That PSW505 sounds interesting. My media room is pretty small AND oddly shaped (under 1400 cubic feet) so I don't imagine that the PSW111 will have trouble filling that small a space, but my biggest worry is that my neighbour (with whom I share a wall) not be overly affected by a deeply rumbling bass. An underpowered sub and satellites are actually attractive to me, believe it or not!

Can't wait to get it all set up. Bought some blu-rays to give it a work out - "Apocalypse Now, Full Disclosure", "Blade Runner, Final Cut", "Band of Brothers". That should put all the components nicely through their paces! Any other suggestions re: good audio blu-rays?

A bientot!

Alan
post #39345 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 04:33 PM

@ viking74 Thank you as well for your input! I needs all the help i can get! I have also been considering at least the CSi A6 front speaker to add to the two RTi A7's I have coming but now I need to wait a while for some "extra" money to accumulate. I think i need to go through my computer room and selling some extra baggage as in mass quantities of not being used PC parts. Where my sound gear is going is in my living room but there is quite a lot of open space with the kitchen, dining area, and living room all open in one big 18' x 24' space, half of which has a rug and half tile flooring. Then there is also a fireplace and sliding glass doors so there is a lot to consider after reading how the are can effect the sound quality as well. I should be alright though. I went and bought some material from audioholics to read and now have their u-tube TV vids to watch and learn with too. Lot of stuff to keep me busy for a while.

One issue though is still kindof bugging me. It is that issue of bi-amping. I got a call from C-fields this morning and the guy said that although he had never tried it, he asked me why I thought that the AVR's had that capability. He also said that maybe I could use the second zone to bi-amp the RTi A7's and that was something I had not considered but most folks on here say bi-amping is useless so why do the AVR's all have that ability? I believe you all know far more than the salespeople at C-field do as they are just parroting what the manufacturers are telling them in many cases although I am sure that there are people that are qualified over there that have their own home theater gear as well. I just need that whole issue to be completely settled in my brain before moving on.

Also, does anyone think that i would benefit from using both the Energy Take 5.1's subwoofer along with the PSW125 I will be getting this week? I really do appreciate all the info or help in setting up a decent sound system. I love listening to all sorts of music and watch the TV and movies about the same so I want to end up with the best system I can without totally breaking the bank but then I would imagine that to be everyone's mindset (just different banks!) Anyway, I do like my bass but also love clarity all the more and hearing all the musicians individually and at once of course.
post #39346 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post
I ordered Thursday. They canceled part of my order (no notice, no backorder etc) and shipped the rest promptly on Monday. I received my tracking number Monday, and order actually arrived today! (I paid ~25$ for FedEx shipping). I am still upset that they canceled part of the order but after talking with customer service they said they simply did not have back order capability and the promised to honor the previous price when the missing speaker comes back in stock.
Just curious what you ordered that was canceled (if you don't mind saying). I was going to get the 707s in midnight mahogany but they only have cherry is why I was asking.

And if anyone has an extra friends and family code they aren't going to use please PM me. THANKS
post #39347 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL - the forum took my second name for some reason. Je m'appelle MacDonald, et mon francais est terrible!
Ohoh, one of those Scottish Frenchmen, eh?

Quote:
Yeah, I probably overpaid, but if the sound is there, I won't mind. Certainly this system should put my 10-year-old Sony HTIB to shame. I'm hoping that the TL350 is a noticeable improvement over the tl250. I guess we'll see. I'm already experiencing buyers guilt!

That PSW505 sounds interesting. My media room is pretty small AND oddly shaped (under 1400 cubic feet) so I don't imagine that the PSW111 will have trouble filling that small a space, but my biggest worry is that my neighbour (with whom I share a wall) not be overly affected by a deeply rumbling bass. An underpowered sub and satellites are actually attractive to me, believe it or not!
It sounds like you did your due diligence and got the right system for your needs, price aside. IIRC you bought from Crutchfield, in which case you can always return the merchandise at no cost after you've tried it out if you're not satisfied.

Quote:
Can't wait to get it all set up. Bought some blu-rays to give it a work out - "Apocalypse Now, Full Disclosure", "Blade Runner, Final Cut", "Band of Brothers". That should put all the components nicely through their paces! Any other suggestions re: good audio blu-rays?

A bientot!

Alan
As a matter of fact, I just now finished auditioning this Audio BD of Prokofiev's Symphony No. 5, recorded in DTS-HD MA 5.1. I listened to it using the DTS Neo:X 11.1 upmixer and it was glorious. Even though I have a Dolby Atmos-capable 7.1.4 set-up with my Denon AVR-X5200W, I still prefer Neo:X surround mode for music sources and reserve Atmos/DSU for video. If you like classical music, give this disk a spin.
post #39348 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28koda View Post
Just curious what you ordered that was canceled (if you don't mind saying). I was going to get the 707s in midnight mahogany but they only have cherry is why I was asking.

And if anyone has an extra friends and family code they aren't going to use please PM me. THANKS
It was a CSiA6 - showed in stock when I ordered but they must have ran out when filling orders. The site shows it out of stock now too.
post #39349 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr325 View Post
Was the improvement from the amp beneficial only at mid/high volume?
Primarily at what I would have to call mid volume, around 20db down from reference level, or typical movie volume.

I do not listen at high volume... never higher than -10db.

post #39350 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
It was a CSiA6 - showed in stock when I ordered but they must have ran out when filling orders. The site shows it out of stock now too.
Please tell me it was the Cherry CSiA6 that they were out of stock on? I ordered a black one. When I ordered the Cherry wasn't even available...

A/V Gear: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Screen | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (CC) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | 2ea PSA XV-15se | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Sonos Connect | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #39351 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Please tell me it was the Cherry CSiA6 that they were out of stock on? I ordered a black one. When I ordered the Cherry wasn't even available...
Yep it was Cherry, was in stock when I ordered but went out sometime over the weekend. Black still seems to be in stock, you are probably good to go.

I got the RTiA5's unpacked and up and running - they sound great! The FXi's will go up later tonight. Really anxious for the CSi now, I am considering ordering at near full price from Amazon just so I can have it!
post #39352 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yep it was Cherry, was in stock when I ordered but went out sometime over the weekend. Black still seems to be in stock, you are probably good to go.

I got the RTiA5's unpacked and up and running - they sound great! The FXi's will go up later tonight. Really anxious for the CSi now, I am considering ordering at near full price from Amazon just so I can have it!
Thanks for confirming that. Whew.

I've also got a pair of A9's, a pair of A7's and a pair of FXiA4's coming along for the audition. I am hoping to have them by Tues/Wed of next week. No word on shipping confirmation yet. Fingers crossed.

Share your feedback on those FXiA4's (or 6's), will ya?

904WMC Media Room Thread

Last edited by AnnapolisSony; 12-03-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: more input
post #39353 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Ohoh, one of those Scottish Frenchmen, eh?

It sounds like you did your due diligence and got the right system for your needs, price aside. IIRC you bought from Crutchfield, in which case you can always return the merchandise at no cost after you've tried it out if you're not satisfied.

As a matter of fact, I just now finished auditioning this Audio BD of Prokofiev's Symphony No. 5, recorded in DTS-HD MA 5.1. I listened to it using the DTS Neo:X 11.1 upmixer and it was glorious. Even though I have a Dolby Atmos-capable 7.1.4 set-up with my Denon AVR-X5200W, I still prefer Neo:X surround mode for music sources and reserve Atmos/DSU for video. If you like classical music, give this disk a spin.
Ha ha - Aye laddie. I mean, Oui...I'm so confused...

I do like some classical. Hadn't thought of trying straight audio. That disc sounds like it would be stunning. How do you like Atmos?

Until the new speakers come along, I may just plug in with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones - Stereo, but oh my, they sound sweet.

Cheers, A
post #39354 of 39586 Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
They will not match at all, but once you hear the CsiA6 you will realize how much better the Rti's really are over the Tsi's. Quite possibly you will end up replacing everything. I know, it happened to me. I had Monitor 70's and a CS2, then upgraded the center to a CS20, and, still not satisfied with the clarity of the center, finally bought a Csi5. From there, I realized just how much better the entire Rti line is compared to the Monitors and Tsi's and upgraded everything.
Thanks. That's where I thought that might go...My concern was putting down any money and locking my path into Polk RTi series. I'm sure they are a significant upgrade but probably better to open the field to other manufacturers as well.
post #39355 of 39586 Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ha ha - Aye laddie. I mean, Oui...I'm so confused...

I do like some classical. Hadn't thought of trying straight audio. That disc sounds like it would be stunning. How do you like Atmos?

Until the new speakers come along, I may just plug in with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones - Stereo, but oh my, they sound sweet.

Cheers, A
You know the old saying: Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

I had stereo receivers for decades until about three years ago, when I got my first AVR (Denon AVR-3311CI). Like you, I went with a small satellite speaker system at first (Polk 5.1 RM705). Now I'm up to 14 speakers in my main zone and upgraditis still hasn't subsided. (For example, I frequently think about replacing my Monitor system with RTi's or even LSi's, but with such an expansive set-up getting all the right pieces together is too problematic to make it worth my while at present. Besides, what I have now sounds terrific.)

Atmos for the HT is an exciting development, but until some interesting source material is released in it there is not much to enthuse over other than in the academic sense. In the meantime, the Dolby Surround upmixer (DSU) is a nice resource for movie and TV listening. If you are sufficiently interested, there are a number of AVS Forum threads you can follow (e.g., here and here).
post #39356 of 39586 Old 12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archigos View Post
Do the RTi8s make pretty good rear speakers? I'm currently debating on getting the RTI12s or the RTI A9s for fronts and moving my RTi8s to the back. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this process?

Currently using RTi4s in the back but might move them to a zone 2 elsewhere.

Front - RTi8
Center - CSi5
Rear - RTi4
Sub - SVS PB12
Receiver - Marantz SR5008
No Amp yet, but that will be next.
If you have the room, the RTI8's will be fine as rear speakers, especially if you already own them and plan on upgrading the fronts...but, if you didn't own them already, I would recommend to keep using the 4's since I don't believe you gain that much (8's over the 4's) as far as rear speakers. If you had the room in your zone 2, I would move the 8's there. Also also , and there is a varying opinion on this, but with your AVR (which I happen to like a lot) I'm not sure you're really going to being getting the most out of the RTIa9's. You already have the good sub, so honestly I think with your setup you're not buying yourself that much difference with the 9's over the 8's. Now, if you're planning on adding an amp in the future, and are just future proofing your rig, then I'd say have at it.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #39357 of 39586 Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. Whew.

I've also got a pair of A9's, a pair of A7's and a pair of FXiA4's coming along for the audition. I am hoping to have them by Tues/Wed of next week. No word on shipping confirmation yet. Fingers crossed.

Share your feedback on those FXiA4's (or 6's), will ya?
9's and 7's???

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #39358 of 39586 Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
If you have the room, the RTI8's will be fine as rear speakers, especially if you already own them and plan on upgrading the fronts...but, if you didn't own them already, I would recommend to keep using the 4's since I don't believe you gain that much (8's over the 4's) as far as rear speakers. If you had the room in your zone 2, I would move the 8's there. Also also , and there is a varying opinion on this, but with your AVR (which I happen to like a lot) I'm not sure you're really going to being getting the most out of the RTIa9's. You already have the good sub, so honestly I think with your setup you're not buying yourself that much difference with the 9's over the 8's. Now, if you're planning on adding an amp in the future, and are just future proofing your rig, then I'd say have at it.
I already have the 8s and the 4s, but with a good deal on the RTi 12s and 9s currently I feel it would be a good time for an upgrade.

For the amp part, I definitely want to get one. I'm thinking something about 200 wpc or so for the Front left/right. I've been told with Polk Speakers to look for Rotel/Parasound/B&K as the emotiva's I've been looking at will probably end up being too bright saddly. I'd love to find an amp for around $800-$1000 but I know that will be pretty challenging.

Last edited by Archigos; 12-04-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #39359 of 39586 Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archigos View Post
I already have the 8s and the 4s, but with a good deal on the RTi 12s and 9s currently I feel it would be a good time for an upgrade.

For the amp part, I definitely want to get one. I'm thinking something about 200 wpc or so for the Front left/right. I've been told with Polk Speakers to look for Rotel/Parasound/B&K as the emotiva's I've been looking at will probably end up being too bright saddly. I'd love to find an amp for around $800-$1000 but I know that will be pretty challenging.
Emotiva should be fine. Amp shouldn't effect sound one way or another.
XStanleyX likes this.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #39360 of 39586 Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 547
@Archigos

Emotiva is a decent amp, but some folks dont like the harshness it tends to bring out. Some folks say that amps cant change sound, I wont start an argument here one way or the other.

I know folks that have Emotiva & RTi speakers and like it, that had Emotiva and RTi speakers and returned the Emotiva amp.

As far as amps go Emotiva is a good starter amp. If your comfortable with used amps sometimes you can get a good deal.

I bought a B&K 200.5 amplifier off eBay (having a local contact listen to it for me) for 500 dollars. That amp provided 375 wpc @ 4 ohms for my LSi speakers. Thats a couple hundred cheaper than the lowest priced Emotiva.

Thing is I got no warranty on it, so there are some risks.

Anyway good luck in your search. I'd suggest Parasound, B&K, ATI, Outlaw as options more because you can find them used for a decent price.

Also worth mentioning is if you find a used Emotiva amp, if there is any warranty left, its transferable.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page