Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1315 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #39421 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The 5 isn't any better or worse it's just built to be turned that direction and the 6 isn't. You can try and see if you have any issues.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39422 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
The 5 isn't any better or worse it's just built to be turned that direction and the 6 isn't. You can try and see if you have any issues.
I called Polk product support.

They told me I'm better off keeping the CS1 and Monitor setup because the RTi6 will be "muddy" for a center.

They said the overall experience will be worse.... Hard to believe, but I guess since most of the audio comes from the center... it isn't a good idea.
cowbodude99 is offline  
post #39423 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
That's surprising to me but they make it. If you are still wanting an upgrade have you looked at other brands?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #39424 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
That's surprising to me but they make it. If you are still wanting an upgrade have you looked at other brands?
Well I will be in the same boat... Most centers are around 20". I would need 18" or smaller.

The only one I found is the Paradigm Center 1. That would require me spending $1000 on the two Monitor 7 fronts.

The reason I like the RTi is $400/pair and supposedly a big upgrade from the Monitor line.

The Polk RTi will cost me $400/pair + $220 for the CSi5.
Paradigm will run about $900/pair + the center 1.

Maybe Paradigms are better overall... but I can't really justify this cost, since I just got my Monitor 50s around 18mo ago.
cowbodude99 is offline  
post #39425 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
I'm looking to buy before they run out of the RTi8 on eBay.

Any advise on the subject? I see some people say it's no problem...

I guess the CSi5 is a much better overall speaker than the RTi6?
For a center channel no comparison.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is online now  
post #39426 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Nowhere else to put the center?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #39427 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
Nowhere else to put the center?
No... I'm designing a component stand as I type this.

I cannot find anything that would fit what I need.
30" - 33" high
20 - 24" wide
22 - 24" deep.

Once I get ride of the AVR and STB in the main unit, I can install the 24" center.
cowbodude99 is offline  
post #39428 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
socal swagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any experience with the in wall polkies iam looking at monoprice but all I have in my room are rtia series but the miss want something more discret. I see that polk on ebay has the budget line for 60 each
socal swagger is offline  
post #39429 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
Any experience with the in wall polkies iam looking at monoprice but all I have in my room are rtia series but the miss want something more discret. I see that polk on ebay has the budget line for 60 each
Read here

TBL's Media Room | Basement Reno Thread

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #39430 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
socal swagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Let me correct myself lol I have rtia series in my room theater area but looking to put sound in her living room I was gona use a set of m40 but they to big for her taste
socal swagger is offline  
post #39431 of 39439 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Ahh I see. Well the budget in walls say they match up to the monitor line so if you know the sound you should know what to expect.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #39432 of 39439 Old Today, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
socal swagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
whats better there the same price

i dont see much of a difference polk 625rt or 65rt looking to pick some up from ebay polk site

cost being the same I would like to get the best ones.

also if anyone has these how do u like them?

is the face/grill paintable the site says it is but would be best to roll it or spray it with the wagner.


I need wall speakers that will not take up to much room and and can be paint toe blend in with wall


its these or monoprice but all my other speakers are polks and iam accustomed to the sound
socal swagger is offline  
post #39433 of 39439 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
Well I will be in the same boat... Most centers are around 20". I would need 18" or smaller.

The only one I found is the Paradigm Center 1. That would require me spending $1000 on the two Monitor 7 fronts.

The reason I like the RTi is $400/pair and supposedly a big upgrade from the Monitor line.

The Polk RTi will cost me $400/pair + $220 for the CSi5.
Paradigm will run about $900/pair + the center 1.

Maybe Paradigms are better overall... but I can't really justify this cost, since I just got my Monitor 50s around 18mo ago.
You may just have to bite the bullet and get a new rack. Another option is putting shelves/brackets on the wall for your equipment. I basically had the same problem but had just enough room on the bottom shelf of my rack for the CSI5. Not ideal, but I've made it work until my next tv upgrade which will go up on the wall freeing up the top on the entertainment center.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
mr266 is offline  
post #39434 of 39439 Old Today, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
AnnapolisSony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
whats better there the same price

i dont see much of a difference polk 625rt or 65rt looking to pick some up from ebay polk site

cost being the same I would like to get the best ones.

also if anyone has these how do u like them?

is the face/grill paintable the site says it is but would be best to roll it or spray it with the wagner.


I need wall speakers that will not take up to much room and and can be paint toe blend in with wall


its these or monoprice but all my other speakers are polks and iam accustomed to the sound
So cal,

There is a HUGE difference between the 265RTs and the 65RT in-walls. I know this because I use the 265s as fronts and the 65RTs as side surrounds. I've had them in-service over a year and I absolutely love them. Not sure what sort of set up you are putting together but I feed my 265RTs and a 255C-RT (center channel in-wall) with an XPA-3 so they are each getting 200w/channel. The 265RTs and 255C-RT will stand up and SHINE brother!

The Vanishing Series Sheer Grilles are awesome. It's amazing how flush these speakers are to the wall even with the grilles on. I can't say enough about the quality/construction of these in-wall speakers. IF you are tackling painting the grilles yourself, be VERY, VERY, VERY careful. I tried it myself and ruined one of the grilles. I got a replacement from Polk and then took all 5 grilles to a local automotive paint shop (where they do airbrush work, etc.) and they painted all of them for 100 bucks. They color-matched the wall paint that we used in my room and they turned out terrific.

I should also add that I actually bought my 255C-RT center channel speaker from the eBay store. It was reburbished but came with the same warranty you would get if you bought it new. I have had ZERO problems with all 7 of my Polk in-walls/in-ceilings and couldn't be happier. Not sure if you visited my thread recently (link below) but I just auditioned A7 towers and a CSiA6 CC speaker against my in-walls and I decided to stick with the in-walls. No pun intended, but that should speak volumes about the capability of Polk in-walls. The 265RTs are a much better speaker than the 65RTs...but that makes the 65RTs good for surround, etc. Keep in mind that I do have a 15" sub in the corner doing the heavy lifting so that should also be a consideration for someone who is going to use in-walls in their HT set up. Looking to add my 2nd PSA XV-15 very soon.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
AnnapolisSony is offline  
post #39435 of 39439 Old Today, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
socal swagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
thats what i have in my room a7,csia6 fxia6

looking to hook up the ladies living room with sound and automation but she is not big into floor standers,

so I was researching inwalls and also the polk owm3 and owm5 for on wall with no wires showing install
socal swagger is offline  
post #39436 of 39439 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
thats what i have in my room a7,csia6 fxia6

looking to hook up the ladies living room with sound and automation but she is not big into floor standers,

so I was researching inwalls and also the polk owm3 and owm5 for on wall with no wires showing install
If sound quality doesnt matter that much, Monoprice sells in-ceiling speakers for a decently low price that should work.

Then just connect them to a Zone 2 output off your AVR if you want, or from another device and your golden.

Otherwise for small speakers, if surround sound doesnt matter, a refurb Surroundbar is a good option.

Bought a surroundbar (1000) off them for 119 shipped for my bedroom. Thing puts out a TON of sound, and only has a power connector and then optical from the TV to it. They make another model (2000) that incorporates a wireless sub....

Those might be better looking, easier to instal options for you as well..

PS our Surroundbar can get loud enough to be heard on the other side of the house through 3 walls. So it works GREAT for just regular TV and dont really care music (Pandora, Roku, etc)
climber07 likes this.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is online now  
post #39437 of 39439 Old Today, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
If sound quality doesnt matter that much, Monoprice sells in-ceiling speakers for a decently low price that should work.

Then just connect them to a Zone 2 output off your AVR if you want, or from another device and your golden.

Otherwise for small speakers, if surround sound doesnt matter, a refurb Surroundbar is a good option.

Bought a surroundbar (1000) off them for 119 shipped for my bedroom. Thing puts out a TON of sound, and only has a power connector and then optical from the TV to it. They make another model (2000) that incorporates a wireless sub....

Those might be better looking, easier to instal options for you as well..

PS our Surroundbar can get loud enough to be heard on the other side of the house through 3 walls. So it works GREAT for just regular TV and dont really care music (Pandora, Roku, etc)
+1 Enders. I have some Monoprice 8" in-ceiling speakers in my family room downstairs and they are perfect for TV and music for parties (when paired with the JBL ES250PBK sub). My wife loves them. For quality sound, we move it upstairs to the theater room...

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #39438 of 39439 Old Today, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
socal swagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
yeah not looking to drop alot of coin but still want decent music and sound for movies. I find myself researching on several forums and the net lol fo a "simple cheap set up"
socal swagger is offline  
post #39439 of 39439 Old Today, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
"simple cheap set up"
Sounds like a decent Soundbar fills that need....

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off