post #39451 of 39466 Old 12-19-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
was considering a small set up for the wifeys room but got tired of looking for small componets with quality cound. how does the rtia5 and a csia4 sound, i already have the 6 and like the sound i have not heard the 4 yet

might scratch the center and run a phantom center in a 4.1 set up, i have never done that so i dont know what to expect any thoughts on that idea?
The A5's will work well in that case and the CsiA4 is adequate for small room or bedroom, especially for TV and casual music and such... not so much for movies, but as you say, the main system is elsewhere (as it is here). Personally I've never been satisfied with the phantom center arrangement, esp in the case of DD broadcasts, but 2+2 works well for matrixed TV audio.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39452 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
was considering a small set up for the wifeys room but got tired of looking for small componets with quality cound. how does the rtia5 and a csia4 sound, i already have the 6 and like the sound i have not heard the 4 yet
If you want something smaller than the floorstanders but along the same line in sound quality, the Polk eBay store has very attractive pricing on RTi6 bookshelves right now. ($155/pair, new, not factory refurbished, if I remember correctly.) One model older than the RTiA3, which is basically the top half of an RTiA5 tower. They could conceivably be wall-mounted with a heavy enough mount, or put on stands.

They have the matching CSi5 centers (equivalent to the CSiA6) for $215 as well. The smaller CSi3 (similar to the CSiA4) @ $105.

The RTi8 towers (equivalent to the RTiA5 you are asking about, one model older) are also priced to sell at $320/pair. I don't think you're getting double the value for double the price though, if you go with those towers over the RTi6 bookshelves. And you lose some flexibility of placement. Although you do need to invest a bit of additional money in either stands or wall mounts with the bookshelves to use them as fronts.

Conventional wisdom around these parts generally is that unless your listening area is *really* small you'll be happier with the larger center. My experience is that even in a small listening area, if you've got a window AC unit or similar noisemaker in there, the larger center will really help with clarity of dialog in movies/TV.
post #39453 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post
Conventional wisdom around these parts generally is that unless your listening area is *really* small you'll be happier with the larger center. My experience is that even in a small listening area, if you've got a window AC unit or similar noisemaker in there, the larger center will really help with clarity of dialog in movies/TV.
Second this. I have a CSi3 in my living room and a CSi5 in my basement. I really wish I had the bigger center in my living room as well.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #39454 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow.

I haven't been on here in far too long.

It's great to see this thread still thriving !!!

We did some recent remodeling and it's time to get my Polks wired back up and my home theater system rocking along like it did before we painted walls and refinished the hardwood floor.

Hope everyone has all their Christmas shopping done and is getting ready for the big day.
post #39455 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm finally thinking about adding surrounds to my 3.1 setup, and I'm trying to decide between the RTi4 and RTi6 from Polk's eBay store. There is a difference of less than $10 between the two, is there any reason for not going with the larger RTi6? I currently have Rti8s as fronts and a CSi5 for a center.

Steam ID: J-Rod0125.
PC Specs: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Intel Core i7-4771, Nvidia GTX 970, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black HDD, Corsair 8GB Ram, SeaSonic SSR-650RM.
HT: Samsung 60F5300B, Polk RTi8 Fronts, Polk CSi 5 Center, Klipsch Sub-12, Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH.
post #39456 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumz View Post

One issue though is still kindof bugging me. It is that issue of bi-amping. I got a call from C-fields this morning and the guy said that although he had never tried it, he asked me why I thought that the AVR's had that capability. He also said that maybe I could use the second zone to bi-amp the RTi A7's and that was something I had not considered but most folks on here say bi-amping is useless so why do the AVR's all have that ability? I believe you all know far more than the salespeople at C-field do as they are just parroting what the manufacturers are telling them in many cases although I am sure that there are people that are qualified over there that have their own home theater gear as well. I just need that whole issue to be completely settled in my brain before moving on.
@Drumz : I didn't see anyone else address this, so I'll take a stab at it and one of the old-timers can correct me if I say anything too egregiously wrong...

All of the AVRs have the ability because even though it is useless, the manufacturers have to "keep up with the Joneses" and maintain feature parity within their price point. Bi-amping is just one more instance of the triumph of marketing nonsense over actual reality.

While bi-amping in theory might have some positive effect on the sound, it's really only possible to get that if you are literally running the two halves of the speaker from separate dedicated amps or a dedicated amp that has separate power supplies/transformers for each channel. Bi-amping from an AVR is useless because just about all AVRs are running all of their channels from one power supply, so power going to any one channel takes away from power available to the other channels, which defeats the whole purpose of having increased power "headroom" available to the upper and lower halves of your speaker when bi-amping. Speaking more practically, for the ears that most of us have anyway, even if you were to bi-amp the real way with dedicated amps with power to spare, the gains you may get don't really outweigh the expense you are now undertaking for extra amps.

Full disclosure: I've never used dedicated amps, and so do not have direct experience of any sound benefits to be gained from them, with or without bi-amping. Many folks on this forum use dedicated amps in their setups. I don't know who, if any, bi-amps with them.

More full disclosure: my RT800i fronts are bi-amped to my Yammie RX-A700 because at the time I built the system just about two years ago, 1) I knew I wasn't going to have rear surrounds for the foreseeable future and so would have 2 spare channels, and 2) I didn't know any better. Now it's just too much of a pain in the ass to pull everything out of the entertainment unit and undo it, so I leave it that way until I figure out how to put rear surrounds into my HT space.
post #39457 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post
I'm finally thinking about adding surrounds to my 3.1 setup, and I'm trying to decide between the RTi4 and RTi6 from Polk's eBay store. There is a difference of less than $10 between the two, is there any reason for not going with the larger RTi6? I currently have Rti8s as fronts and a CSi5 for a center.
Two schools of thought on this:

On the one hand, the common wisdom would be to go with the larger RTi6 as side surrounds to be able to handle a wider frequency range and have a little more "oomph" in the surround channels.

On the other hand, some people have expressed a preference for the 4s over the 6s due to what they perceive as improved clarity in the midrange in the smaller speaker.

On the third hand, the 6 is significantly larger and heavier than the 4, and mounting issues might come into play depending on your space. It used to be that the Polk website had an archive of product specs for all the discontinued models, but with the site redesign they seem to have done away with all of that very useful information -- because why not piss off all the people who are really into your products? -- so you can't just go look up and compare. The weight and other physical specs might be listed in the details at the eBay site.

If the mounting situation is not a problem, then I think that the clarity issue is less important because you are not using them as fronts. As surrounds you probably want to go with the larger speakers. For that price, they're a steal. IIRC, when Frys was selling out of them in very early 2013, the "really good" price was $199 for the RTi6. I'm tempted to pick up a pair myself even though I don't really have a use for them right now.
post #39458 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
For 10 bucks I would say no.

The only real possible concern would be the mounting as mentioned above.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #39459 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
It used to be that the Polk website had an archive of product specs for all the discontinued models, but with the site redesign they seem to have done away with all of that very useful information -- because why not piss off all the people who are really into your products? -- so you can't just go look up and compare.
Yeah, this has irritated me no end. Their site is now only a fraction as useful as it used to be for reference purposes. (But you can still find manuals and specs elsewhere on the web if you search for them, as the below clipping will show.)

Quote:
The weight and other physical specs might be listed in the details at the eBay site.
Nope, that would be too useful as well. They typically include few if any specs in their eBay store's listings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTi4 & RTi6.png
Views:	161
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	437530  
post #39460 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Two schools of thought on this:

On the one hand, the common wisdom would be to go with the larger RTi6 as side surrounds to be able to handle a wider frequency range and have a little more "oomph" in the surround channels.

On the other hand, some people have expressed a preference for the 4s over the 6s due to what they perceive as improved clarity in the midrange in the smaller speaker.

On the third hand, the 6 is significantly larger and heavier than the 4, and mounting issues might come into play depending on your space. It used to be that the Polk website had an archive of product specs for all the discontinued models, but with the site redesign they seem to have done away with all of that very useful information -- because why not piss off all the people who are really into your products? -- so you can't just go look up and compare. The weight and other physical specs might be listed in the details at the eBay site.

If the mounting situation is not a problem, then I think that the clarity issue is less important because you are not using them as fronts. As surrounds you probably want to go with the larger speakers. For that price, they're a steal. IIRC, when Frys was selling out of them in very early 2013, the "really good" price was $199 for the RTi6. I'm tempted to pick up a pair myself even though I don't really have a use for them right now.
I was thinking about mounting them at first, but the way my room is setup would make it a pain to do so. I'll be putting them on stands. Since all the speakers in my setup consist of 6 1/2 drivers, wouldn't the RTi6 be a better match anyways?

Steam ID: J-Rod0125.
PC Specs: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Intel Core i7-4771, Nvidia GTX 970, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black HDD, Corsair 8GB Ram, SeaSonic SSR-650RM.
HT: Samsung 60F5300B, Polk RTi8 Fronts, Polk CSi 5 Center, Klipsch Sub-12, Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH.
post #39461 of 39466 Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I was thinking... Since all the speakers in my setup consist of 6 1/2 drivers, wouldn't the RTi6 be a better match anyways?
I agree with you on that. In fact, I was going to say that in a post before I scrolled down to yours.

The Rti4's are great little speakers, but the 6's will blend better with what you have.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39462 of 39466 Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
....is there any reason for not going with the larger RTi6?
Not any good ones

Quote:
@Drumz : I didn't see anyone else address this, so I'll take a stab at it and one of the old-timers can correct me if I say anything too egregiously wrong...

All of the AVRs have the ability because even though it is useless, the manufacturers have to "keep up with the Joneses" and maintain feature parity within their price point. Bi-amping is just one more instance of the triumph of marketing nonsense over actual reality.

While bi-amping in theory might have some positive effect on the sound, it's really only possible to get that if you are literally running the two halves of the speaker from separate dedicated amps or a dedicated amp that has separate power supplies/transformers for each channel. Bi-amping from an AVR is useless because just about all AVRs are running all of their channels from one power supply, so power going to any one channel takes away from power available to the other channels, which defeats the whole purpose of having increased power "headroom" available to the upper and lower halves of your speaker when bi-amping. Speaking more practically, for the ears that most of us have anyway, even if you were to bi-amp the real way with dedicated amps with power to spare, the gains you may get don't really outweigh the expense you are now undertaking for extra amps.

Full disclosure: I've never used dedicated amps, and so do not have direct experience of any sound benefits to be gained from them, with or without bi-amping. Many folks on this forum use dedicated amps in their setups. I don't know who, if any, bi-amps with them.

More full disclosure: my RT800i fronts are bi-amped to my Yammie RX-A700 because at the time I built the system just about two years ago, 1) I knew I wasn't going to have rear surrounds for the foreseeable future and so would have 2 spare channels, and 2) I didn't know any better. Now it's just too much of a pain in the ass to pull everything out of the entertainment unit and undo it, so I leave it that way until I figure out how to put rear surrounds into my HT space.
Bi-amping w AVR= worthless.
Bi-amping with dedicated amps = worthless 99% of the time unless you've got REALLY GOOD gear (which my and your gear doesnt qualify as)

I've done bi-amping with a dedicated amp before and no difference even with my LSI 15's. The only real difference it makes is a bit more clarity at volumes so loud they are unrealistic. Been there done that, wasn't worth the work.

The only "real" benefits of bi-amping are when you go truly "active" by removing the crossover and connecting directly from the amp to speakers. Its normally not worth doing so dont even stress it.

Get the right amount of wattage on your speakers and it wont be something you worry about. Most folks suggest something in the 200 wpc @ 8 ohms for the RTi A line. I'd say Emotiva, Parasound, Carver, Outlaw, ATI are good brands to checkout. I'm not a huge Emo fan, but they are good for what they are. You could get a 2 or 3 channel amp for your fronts and that would be fine. The more speakers you take off your AVR the more wattage it can provide to what remains. Surrounds & Rear Surrounds are easy to drive so no need to amp them unless you just want to (which is ok).

Even just a really good 2 channel amp to handle your fronts would work as well, and if you like music would ensure when listening to stereo that you've got adequate power.

I had a Carver AV-705x on my LSi 5 channel for years, never felt it was lacking. That said the disease of upgraditius hit me and I bought a B&K 200.5 which is 375 wpc @ 4 ohms, and let me tell you my house is shaking when I turn it up.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #39463 of 39466 Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I saw an incredible deal on some Polk Monitor 60 Series II speakers for $109 each. Currently have a four speaker Monitor 40-II + PSW 111 in my bedroom which is 12' x 12'. Is this room too SMALL to replace one pair of Monitor 40???
post #39464 of 39466 Old Today, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chensel3 View Post
I saw an incredible deal on some Polk Monitor 60 Series II speakers for $109 each. Currently have a four speaker Monitor 40-II + PSW 111 in my bedroom which is 12' x 12'. Is this room too SMALL to replace one pair of Monitor 40???
you would gain so little with the 60 over the 40 when using a subwoofer. That being said when using a subwoofer the 60 should perform just like the 60 in your space if you like the looks of floor standars better.
post #39465 of 39466 Old Today, 11:02 AM

Liked: 142
If you go with the Rti6's just remember that as far as book shelf speakers go they are gigantic. Mine are on stands but if you hang them from the walls they won't exactly disappear.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3
post #39466 of 39466 Old Today, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, needing a little help with a question that has probably already been asked before but I'm too lazy to search for

I'm looking into doing in wall speakers, the RC85i front and RC80i rears, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which center will match these? I've heard you're suppose to timbre-match your speakers for best result but I can't find out exactly which in wall center matches those. Would it be the SC-C?

Thanks for your help.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page