Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1321 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #39601 of 39618 Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Don't worry about it sir. You are the one that defines your needs. There is always something better than what you have anyways. It's an incurable itch!!!

If you like your sub, fine then. Learn to know it, how you can maximize it, have some fun with it. Like Rob lee said. When you'll be ready to pull the trigger, upgrade. Your sub maybe not at the top of the food chain, but it is far from a HTIB sub. I personnally had a Klipsch sw110b for years. It is far from the best subwoofer, but I liked it. It filled my needs at the time. I've rentabilized each dollar from it. I'm really happy to have upgraded since then. But I felt that it lended me great services for the price.

About speaker types: There's always two camps, two set of arguments to each situation. There is no rule of thumb that a bookshelf is always better than a tower... And no rule of thumb that a a tower is always better than a tower. Each one has its set of trades. Add to that the fact that all kinds of speakers will function differently in your precise room. Each room is different. I'd even go as far as to say that sometimes you may have a tendency to prefer a kind of speaker that won't be the best for your environment. I personnally prefer towers, but in my small room, Bookshelves are better sounding. Hence my recent speaker type change. I miss towers a little, but for now, the Bookies are the sensible choice. Will I stick to bookshhelves forever because I reaaaaaaaaaaallly love my LSIM bookies? No. Placement and surroundings will command the buy. I strongly advise you to read the most litterature you can on the subject, and forge your own idea. Forums are indeed a great way to get info and opinions, but weall don't think the same way!
Thank you for your reply. I'm super happy for now, and as was posted before, it's time to put my feet up and enjoy.

I'll be looking to learn as much as I can about home theatre for the future upgrades!
Aarghon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39602 of 39618 Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Liked: 0
In wall options for the rear

I'm planning on getting RTi A5's for the front, CSi A6 for the center. The FXi A6/4 are the obvious choices for the rears, but I want to go with in wall. The speakers will be mounted near narrow walking paths around the main couch, so i dont want to keep bumping into them.

Would the 65-RT pair well with the LCR? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
post #39603 of 39618 Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about my Polk setup. I currently have:

AVR: Denon X2000
Fronts: Polk RTI8
Center: Polk CS2

According to Polk, the timbre matched inwall surrounds are the 65RTs. However, I noticed these are 6.5" drivers whereas my front speakers are all 8.5". Should this be of concern? I thought about getting the Polk RC85i in its place as they are 8.5" drivers, which appear to be a downgrade in quality from the RTs. Or should I not worry that much about the driver size?
post #39604 of 39618 Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by that science View Post
I'm planning on getting RTi A5's for the front, CSi A6 for the center. The FXi A6/4 are the obvious choices for the rears, but I want to go with in wall. The speakers will be mounted near narrow walking paths around the main couch, so i dont want to keep bumping into them.

Would the 65-RT pair well with the LCR? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
For surrounds, timbre matching isn't as important as the front soundstage. If you stay in the Polk family, I'd think that you'd be fine.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have
post #39605 of 39618 Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohannon View Post

According to Polk, the timbre matched inwall surrounds are the 65RTs. However, I noticed these are 6.5" drivers whereas my front speakers are all 8.5". Should this be of concern? I thought about getting the Polk RC85i in its place as they are 8.5" drivers, which appear to be a downgrade in quality from the RTs. Or should I not worry that much about the driver size?
No, this shouldn't be a concern. Using the RTi4 or RTi6 as surrounds would be fine as well and the dynamic balance drivers are much smaller on the RTi4 @ 5 1/4 and the RTi6 @ 6 1/2 respectively. Surrounds don't play as large a part in the overall sound as do your front speakers. When dealing with towers for your FR + FL, trying to keep your front drivers height as close as possible to the drivers in your center channel speaker is a bigger challenge, IMHO.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have
post #39606 of 39618 Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:

You should check again. I believe the drivers on the RTI8's are 6.5, not 8.5.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #39607 of 39618 Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

As others have pointed out, those RTi8's have 6-1/2" drivers; plus, timbre-matching the surrounds is not a big deal and will be mitigated by your AVR's Audyssey MultEQ XT anyway.

But your bigger concern should be to replace that CS2 with a more suitable center speaker (i.e., CSiA6, CSiA4, CSi5, or CSi3). Timbre-matching the front sound stage (L/C/R) is important, and the CS2--while a fine speaker--is a match for the Monitor line.
mr266 likes this.
post #39608 of 39618 Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Timbre matching is a desired thing for surrounds... Desired, but not needed. As other member pointed out, your room correction will mitigate the timbre difference. Timbre matching is indeed required for 100% performance, but since it's only at surround position... A non drastically different timbred speaker likely won't be noticeable.

About the size of woofers in the back versus the front, I think it's a myth. I'm not an expert though... But since I see a lot of pro home theaters with dedicated fx surrounds only.. Makes me think it's far from required. Add to the fact that surround channels usually don't have full bass like fronts, I'd really tend to think it's really not necessary...

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #39609 of 39618 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the help everyone. As it turns out, looks like I ordered different polk in-walls than I thought. I got the Polk 625RT instead of the 65RT. The only difference I can tell is the 625s do not have the lower port as the 65s have. Should this be of concern? Or is it really worth the mere $40/ea for the 65s?
post #39610 of 39618 Unread Today, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright I'm about to bite the bullet with a new purchase but debating on the rti-10 or rti-12 is it worth the extra money or not this will be for my living room 90% tv/movies and 10% music, thanx for any input.
post #39611 of 39618 Unread Today, 03:15 PM

oh and would the csi5 be a good match for center with these Ive got the tsi400 now but after reading all this forum i feel I'm missing out so I'm getting them either way and what should i do with the 400's use them as surround or ? just racking my brain to figure it out. The rti's will be run by emotiva XPA-200 will upgrade to the XPA-2 eventually and working on ridding the dreadful bose speakers I'm using now for center and surround (acoustimass 10) and i also have 2 sets of R150's running as SB and SP on my yamaha 3030.
post #39612 of 39618 Unread Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Alright I'm about to bite the bullet with a new purchase but debating on the rti-10 or rti-12 is it worth the extra money or not this will be for my living room 90% tv/movies and 10% music, thanx for any input.
The Rti12's, which are essentially the same as the newer RtiA9's, are indeed more powerful than the 10's (or A7's) and are slightly different tonally, but where the 10's can be powered by a larger AVR, the 12's pretty much require an external amplifier. I would say if money is not an issue, go for the 12's and be aware that you will also need to buy an amp "down the road". Of course, the 10's would also benefit form the added oomph from an external amp.

Look at my configuration in my sig... the A7's were my mains, but then were moved to the sides and became my surrounds after I moved up to the A9's. As far as would I have done anything differently, the answer is YES, I would have skipped the A7's and gone straight to the A9's - they are that good.

Where the A7's (10's) have two woofs and a largish midrange, which tends to favor male voices, the A9's (12's) have a more solid bottom end with the three woofs, and a clearer sounding upper midrange due to the two 5" isolated drivers. I suspect that anyone here who owns the A9/12's would agree... if you have a choice, definitely go with the larger speaker... but be aware there are additional costs involved.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39613 of 39618 Unread Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
oh and would the csi5 be a good match for center with these Ive got the tsi400 now but after reading all this forum i feel I'm missing out so I'm getting them either way and what should i do with the 400's use them as surround or ? just racking my brain to figure it out. The rti's will be run by emotiva XPA-200 will upgrade to the XPA-2 eventually and working on ridding the dreadful bose speakers I'm using now for center and surround (acoustimass 10) and i also have 2 sets of R150's running as SB and SP on my yamaha 3030.
Csi5 is a great match for the 10's and 12's. You can use the Tsi's for surrounds for the time being, but I suspect that eventually you will want to have Rti's all around. Things just work out that way. After you hear the Rti's, you won't want to have to listen to anything else. Oh and I see you already have the amp issue settled (great choice BTW)!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39614 of 39618 Unread Today, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Csi5 is a great match for the 10's and 12's. You can use the Tsi's for surrounds for the time being, but I suspect that eventually you will want to have Rti's all around. Things just work out that way. After you hear the Rti's, you won't want to have to listen to anything else. Oh and I see you already have the amp issue settled (great choice BTW)!
Well TY! Ive been on here to long to steer any other way lol. Well Im now leaning towards the 12's thanks for the advice seeing that you have both nice setup by the way I doubt i will be disappointed since you personally have both and i'm starting to get anxious now
post #39615 of 39618 Unread Today, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The 12's are beasts though, big and heavy. Read back a few pages regarding speaker break-in... i.e., don't judge your new speakers til after you've used them for a few weeks.

post #39616 of 39618 Unread Today, 07:16 PM

Yeah I read that and did a measurement comparing mine now and this will be a change but hey gotta have it right!!
post #39617 of 39618 Unread Today, 07:19 PM

Hey Rob how tall are the 10's
post #39618 of 39618 Unread Today, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Fry's Electronics has the RTi12 for $300 each in store only price.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page