Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #39781 of 39789 Old Today, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me. I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so. I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.

Last edited by twinturboaudi; Today at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39782 of 39789 Old Today, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so.
Eh.... I've had em both..... very different monsters... maybe your EQ can overcome it, but they are NOT IMHO timbre matching... why come out with NEW models that sound the same as the old ones?

Quote:
I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.
My comment about impedance had to do with timbre..... the impedance dips are different, the measured spec's are different as well. The LSiM's measure BETTER than their LSi counterparts.....

Your amp will handle either with no issue, but my comment was that they measured different entirely so they are NOT IMHO a timbre match, nor would I add a LSiM to a LSi setup.... unless your moving to the LSiM line entirely in the future...

Here is a link to measurements for the LSi line

This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the LSi25 L/R (purple trace), PSW650 subwoofer (blue trace), LSiC center channel (green trace), LSiFX side surround channel (red trace), and LSi9 rear surround channel (gold trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The LSi25's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.82/-2.34 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 27 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 25 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.02 ohms at 94 Hz and a phase angle of -43.97 degrees at 2.2 kHz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiC's listening-window response measures +1.38/-0.77 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal responses measures +1.54/-1.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 67 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 55 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.36 ohms at 65 Hz and a phase angle of -42.17 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiFX's three-face averaged response in dipole mode measures +1.05/-2.49 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 60 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.49 ohms at 46 Hz and a phase angle of -41.05 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 86 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSi9's listening-window response measures +1.10/-2.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 59 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 47 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.57 ohms at 53 Hz and a phase angle of -21.31 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Here is the same for the LSiM's

This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the LSiM707 L/R (purple trace), DSW3000 subwoofer (blue trace), LSiM706c center channel (green trace), and LSiM702 F/X surround (red trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured with grilles at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The LSiM707’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.05/–1.73 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 34 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 30 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.75 ohms at 66 Hz and a phase angle of –47.96 degrees at 83 Hz.

The LSiM706c’s listening-window response measures +1.80/–2.42 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal responses measures +1.98/–2.60 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3dB point is at 55 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 51 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.29 ohms at 8.6 kHz and a phase angle of –67.02 degrees at 84 Hz.

The LSiM702 F/X’s listening-window response measures +0.63/–3.60 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3dB point is at 89 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 65 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.78 ohms at 6.6 kHz and a phase angle of –20.37 degrees at 3.3 kHz
Geoff4RFC likes this.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #39783 of 39789 Old Today, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me.
Have you ever heard of the term salesmanship? Ask anyone who works for anyone who has something to sell if whatever they are selling is what you need, the answer is ALWAYS YES.... YES this will do whatever you want. Yes this will work with whatever you already have. Yes. Yes. Yes. Never "no, it will sound different. No, don't buy our product."
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs

Last edited by RobLee; Today at 06:38 PM.
post #39784 of 39789 Old Today, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I met Matthew Polk back in the late 70's IIRC, my Dad took me to an audio show at some hotel in NY and we listened to a pair of Monitor 10's. He bought them, and I grew up with them in my high school years. In about 1990 or 91, I bought a set of Monitor 12's - and still have and listen to them on almost a daily bases. Also have some Monitor 4's, a CS2, and another pair of bookshelf polks, can't remember the model. I think the best setup I have enjoyed was a pair of Monitor 4's with an Energy Subwoofer, just sounded great.

So yea, I like Polk's!

Steve
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #39785 of 39789 Old Today, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I forgot that you're not running your subs.
I turned it off after running the Audyssey but I think I'm reading on the Audyssey thread that I should leave it on.
My boom mic stand and adaptor should be arriving today so I'm going to rerun it.
Still gotta swap out my surrounds for the FXa6's I got for Christmas.

You are going to love your FXiA6's, very powerful speaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Geoff, your getting your settings mixed up I believe. Late Night (on older models) is what your talking about (my Integra has it) it cuts the lows down significantly so your not BOOM BOOM all the time.

Not sure what its called in the new models (or if its even there)

Dynamic EQ is what modifies your SURROUNDS to level match your mains, even if the track isnt setup to do it. Turning it on and off can make a fairly large difference in the way your surround field is with your surrounds. (link)

Personally I enjoy turning it on and off depending on my situation. Turning it off makes it quieter and the tends to center the image in front of me, whereas on tends to amp up the surrounds and immerse me more...

I kinda personally enjoy OFF for movies so the surround effects are not as harsh (but it varies movie to movie - action v comdey v sports). For my Xbox I REALLY enjoy it on as it helps me hear footsteps behind me/to my sides, etc...

So there isnt really a "right" or "wrong" with it... I'd mess around with it and decide what YOU like best.

Oops, you're right Danny. I DO leave my Dynamic EQ engaged and I'll tell why in moment. It's Dynamic Volume I was confused with, it has light, medium and heavy and will take the bass thump out incremental.

With EQ on my 807, I'd have to back the surrounds off a tad from they were set at, just too hot. Now the XT32 blends very nicely. I noticed the software is way faster than the EQ, and sets my speakers with more pinpoint accuracy over the EQ. The EQ set them at full and half foot measures, the XT32 sets them by the inch......

So Chris, if you're listening, YES, it's engaged always

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #39786 of 39789 Old Today, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Geoff - yeah, I saw your earlier reply (thanks). I too forget you're running without subs. But even with my twin subs, I still feel thr A9's deliver better articulate bass when x'ed over at 40Hz. Even when I was running Monitors, they sounded better crossed at 60Hz. Of course I realize others here say everything should be set at 80. That's another debate.

Yeah, it's easy for the guys that know my set up to forget that I don't run them. WHAT A SHAME I always say as walk through my garage, two monster boxes just sitting there, taunting me, teasing me, sometimes just flat out insulting me

I've been out of my cool cave and into this little pad for just over three years now, since then, I've brought one in, moved it around to three different walls and finally put it away after about six months of use. I can only use it when the upstairs is gone, and then, it shakes the living crap out of everything in the room lol and that's just one!! LOL, my 6 year old daughter adores, no, is addicted to my subs bass out put, she literally fell on her back on the living room floor (dramatic) when I brought the sub in for the first time she begged and actually got depressed when I packed it up. But I have distracted her with wild fantasies of putting splitters in the four sub pre-outs on the back of the 70.4 in order to run 8 monster subs, that usually shuts her up for a bit

Rock on with A9's set at 40HZ

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #39787 of 39789 Old Today, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Have you ever heard of the term salesmanship? Ask anyone who works for anyone who has something to sell if whatever they are selling is what you need, the answer is ALWAYS YES.... YES this will do whatever you want. Yes this will work with whatever you already have. Yes. Yes. Yes. Never "no, it will sound different. No, don't buy our product."
Polk Customer Support has two sides of the house--sales and technical support. Maybe I've just been fortunate but I've never talked to anyone on the tech side who sounded like he or she was trying to push product. Some have seemed more knowledgeable (or at least more willing to go into details) than others, but I've always come away thinking that I got good, honest, reliable (albeit sometimes subjective) information. I would always advise asking for tech support if you want to avoid getting advice that might be influenced by a motivation to sell.
post #39788 of 39789 Old Today, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me. I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so. I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.
Google 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on a single amplifier, get AS MUCH information as you can. Like I said in my post concerning this topic, can you do it, yes, should you, NO!!! Again, like I said before, go ahead, it's your money, but educate yourself before you dive into a pool that the locals said was deep enough to dive into.....Don't just take someone's word, get your read on from a reputable source

post #39789 of 39789 Old Today, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Yeah, it's easy for the guys that know my set up to forget that I don't run them. WHAT A SHAME I always say as walk through my garage, two monster boxes just sitting there, taunting me, teasing me, sometimes just flat out insulting me
Send em to me... out of sight... out of mind..........

Promise to take good care of em and kick the tires w em every now and again....

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com