Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #39781 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me. I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so. I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.

Last edited by twinturboaudi; Yesterday at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39782 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so.
Eh.... I've had em both..... very different monsters... maybe your EQ can overcome it, but they are NOT IMHO timbre matching... why come out with NEW models that sound the same as the old ones?

Quote:
I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.
My comment about impedance had to do with timbre..... the impedance dips are different, the measured spec's are different as well. The LSiM's measure BETTER than their LSi counterparts.....

Your amp will handle either with no issue, but my comment was that they measured different entirely so they are NOT IMHO a timbre match, nor would I add a LSiM to a LSi setup.... unless your moving to the LSiM line entirely in the future...

Here is a link to measurements for the LSi line

This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the LSi25 L/R (purple trace), PSW650 subwoofer (blue trace), LSiC center channel (green trace), LSiFX side surround channel (red trace), and LSi9 rear surround channel (gold trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The LSi25's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.82/-2.34 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 27 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 25 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.02 ohms at 94 Hz and a phase angle of -43.97 degrees at 2.2 kHz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiC's listening-window response measures +1.38/-0.77 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal responses measures +1.54/-1.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 67 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 55 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.36 ohms at 65 Hz and a phase angle of -42.17 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiFX's three-face averaged response in dipole mode measures +1.05/-2.49 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 60 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.49 ohms at 46 Hz and a phase angle of -41.05 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 86 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSi9's listening-window response measures +1.10/-2.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 59 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 47 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.57 ohms at 53 Hz and a phase angle of -21.31 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Here is the same for the LSiM's

This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the LSiM707 L/R (purple trace), DSW3000 subwoofer (blue trace), LSiM706c center channel (green trace), and LSiM702 F/X surround (red trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured with grilles at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The LSiM707’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.05/–1.73 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 34 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 30 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.75 ohms at 66 Hz and a phase angle of –47.96 degrees at 83 Hz.

The LSiM706c’s listening-window response measures +1.80/–2.42 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal responses measures +1.98/–2.60 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3dB point is at 55 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 51 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.29 ohms at 8.6 kHz and a phase angle of –67.02 degrees at 84 Hz.

The LSiM702 F/X’s listening-window response measures +0.63/–3.60 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3dB point is at 89 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 65 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.78 ohms at 6.6 kHz and a phase angle of –20.37 degrees at 3.3 kHz
Geoff4RFC likes this.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #39783 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me.
Have you ever heard of the term salesmanship? Ask anyone who works for anyone who has something to sell if whatever they are selling is what you need, the answer is ALWAYS YES.... YES this will do whatever you want. Yes this will work with whatever you already have. Yes. Yes. Yes. Never "no, it will sound different. No, don't buy our product."
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs

Last edited by RobLee; Yesterday at 06:38 PM.
post #39784 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I met Matthew Polk back in the late 70's IIRC, my Dad took me to an audio show at some hotel in NY and we listened to a pair of Monitor 10's. He bought them, and I grew up with them in my high school years. In about 1990 or 91, I bought a set of Monitor 12's - and still have and listen to them on almost a daily bases. Also have some Monitor 4's, a CS2, and another pair of bookshelf polks, can't remember the model. I think the best setup I have enjoyed was a pair of Monitor 4's with an Energy Subwoofer, just sounded great.

So yea, I like Polk's!

Steve
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #39785 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I forgot that you're not running your subs.
I turned it off after running the Audyssey but I think I'm reading on the Audyssey thread that I should leave it on.
My boom mic stand and adaptor should be arriving today so I'm going to rerun it.
Still gotta swap out my surrounds for the FXa6's I got for Christmas.

You are going to love your FXiA6's, very powerful speaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Geoff, your getting your settings mixed up I believe. Late Night (on older models) is what your talking about (my Integra has it) it cuts the lows down significantly so your not BOOM BOOM all the time.

Not sure what its called in the new models (or if its even there)

Dynamic EQ is what modifies your SURROUNDS to level match your mains, even if the track isnt setup to do it. Turning it on and off can make a fairly large difference in the way your surround field is with your surrounds. (link)

Personally I enjoy turning it on and off depending on my situation. Turning it off makes it quieter and the tends to center the image in front of me, whereas on tends to amp up the surrounds and immerse me more...

I kinda personally enjoy OFF for movies so the surround effects are not as harsh (but it varies movie to movie - action v comdey v sports). For my Xbox I REALLY enjoy it on as it helps me hear footsteps behind me/to my sides, etc...

So there isnt really a "right" or "wrong" with it... I'd mess around with it and decide what YOU like best.

Oops, you're right Danny. I DO leave my Dynamic EQ engaged and I'll tell why in moment. It's Dynamic Volume I was confused with, it has light, medium and heavy and will take the bass thump out incremental.

With EQ on my 807, I'd have to back the surrounds off a tad from they were set at, just too hot. Now the XT32 blends very nicely. I noticed the software is way faster than the EQ, and sets my speakers with more pinpoint accuracy over the EQ. The EQ set them at full and half foot measures, the XT32 sets them by the inch......

So Chris, if you're listening, YES, it's engaged always

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #39786 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Geoff - yeah, I saw your earlier reply (thanks). I too forget you're running without subs. But even with my twin subs, I still feel thr A9's deliver better articulate bass when x'ed over at 40Hz. Even when I was running Monitors, they sounded better crossed at 60Hz. Of course I realize others here say everything should be set at 80. That's another debate.

Yeah, it's easy for the guys that know my set up to forget that I don't run them. WHAT A SHAME I always say as walk through my garage, two monster boxes just sitting there, taunting me, teasing me, sometimes just flat out insulting me

I've been out of my cool cave and into this little pad for just over three years now, since then, I've brought one in, moved it around to three different walls and finally put it away after about six months of use. I can only use it when the upstairs is gone, and then, it shakes the living crap out of everything in the room lol and that's just one!! LOL, my 6 year old daughter adores, no, is addicted to my subs bass out put, she literally fell on her back on the living room floor (dramatic) when I brought the sub in for the first time she begged and actually got depressed when I packed it up. But I have distracted her with wild fantasies of putting splitters in the four sub pre-outs on the back of the 70.4 in order to run 8 monster subs, that usually shuts her up for a bit

Rock on with A9's set at 40HZ

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #39787 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the term salesmanship? Ask anyone who works for anyone who has something to sell if whatever they are selling is what you need, the answer is ALWAYS YES.... YES this will do whatever you want. Yes this will work with whatever you already have. Yes. Yes. Yes. Never "no, it will sound different. No, don't buy our product."
Polk Customer Support has two sides of the house--sales and technical support. Maybe I've just been fortunate but I've never talked to anyone on the tech side who sounded like he or she was trying to push product. Some have seemed more knowledgeable (or at least more willing to go into details) than others, but I've always come away thinking that I got good, honest, reliable (albeit sometimes subjective) information. I would always advise asking for tech support if you want to avoid getting advice that might be influenced by a motivation to sell.
post #39788 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well then the good folks over at Polk either need a lesson on their own speakers or were lying to me. I asked a few employees of their thoughts about timber matching and all said they would match the original lsi series and were designed to do so. I then asked about the impedance difference. They said as long as I was using an external amp, I would be fine. Emotiva also said the running 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on the same amp will be absolutely no problem. The amplifier channels are independent. Not sure why some would say this is an issue.
Google 4ohm and 8ohm speakers on a single amplifier, get AS MUCH information as you can. Like I said in my post concerning this topic, can you do it, yes, should you, NO!!! Again, like I said before, go ahead, it's your money, but educate yourself before you dive into a pool that the locals said was deep enough to dive into.....Don't just take someone's word, get your read on from a reputable source

post #39789 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Yeah, it's easy for the guys that know my set up to forget that I don't run them. WHAT A SHAME I always say as walk through my garage, two monster boxes just sitting there, taunting me, teasing me, sometimes just flat out insulting me
Send em to me... out of sight... out of mind..........

Promise to take good care of em and kick the tires w em every now and again....

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #39790 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I know this is not the right place to probably ask about this but, I was looking through the website accessories for less and I was looking at getting a couple your old Denon AVR 2113 CI receiver. I am pretty new to the whole external amplifier thing and it down the road I would like to get some RTI 12 towers so my question is can anyone tell me if this receiver has the capability for an external amp at least for the fronts? A while back I was told that supposedly, the in command receivers all had pre-outs not sure if that is correct or not. I'd appreciate the help
post #39791 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn95 View Post
Hey guys, I know this is not the right place to probably ask about this but, I was looking through the website accessories for less and I was looking at getting a couple your old Denon AVR 2113 CI receiver. I am pretty new to the whole external amplifier thing and it down the road I would like to get some RTI 12 towers so my question is can anyone tell me if this receiver has the capability for an external amp at least for the fronts? A while back I was told that supposedly, the in command receivers all had pre-outs not sure if that is correct or not. I'd appreciate the help

No pre out on that unit:

http://lgcdn.220-electronics.com/med...vr2113back.jpg

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #39792 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 1976
Quote:
Whats your budget? Are you opposed to buying used, new only, etc?

TBH any of the older Emotiva amps with a warranty left (thats transferable) would be good, multi channel or stereo. Some other brands to look at that are more on the used market would be:

Outlaw Audio, Carver, Sunfire, B&K, Marantz, Adcom (personally not a fan myself), Parasound (BIG FAN), Rotel and I'm sure some others will mention it...

What kinda amp I'd look for is something that is 200 wpc @ 8 ohms. If it doubles that number into 4 ohms, thats even better (means the amp has nuts). I'm personally a HUGE fan of Parasound, Carver & B&K.

I've run a 5 channel Carver for my LSi setup and it was more than up to task. I now run a MASSIVE B&K amp which is overkill for you, but I like B&K in general (though the company is defunkt). I also REALLY like Parasound and TBH thats what I'd look for. I have a Parasound HCA-1200ii that I love, I'd also look at the HCA-1000 or HCA-1500. Both those amps have nuts and would drive your RTi's quite nice. You could spend more of course, but those are two that would be a good budget minded amp.

Parasound HCA-1000 for 220 w free shipping (recently serviced) (manual link)
  • 125 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, both channels driven;
    200 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, both channels driven
  • Continuous Power Output - Mono:
    400 watts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω
  • Current Capacity:
    45 amperes peak per channel
Parasound HCA-1200 for 275 (not sure if he'd ship) (manual link)
Continuous Power output - stereo
200 watts RMS x 2, 20Hz-20kHz, 8Ω
300 watts RMS x 2, 20Hz-20kHz, 4Ω
Current Capacity:
40 amperes continuous
57 amperes peak, up to 200msec

I'd prefer the 1200 personally but the 1000 would be good and its just been serviced so it should be good for 15+ years....

why are you not a fan of Adcom? They are one of the flattest low distortion amps ever made in their price range...I believe they measure 2-50khz(GFA 555)

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #39793 of 39809 Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM

Okay, I appreciate it thanks.
post #39794 of 39809 Old Today, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Also bear in mind--if it is a matter of concern for you--that AFAICR only the flagship Denon AVR's of recent years (i.e., 4520 or X7200) will allow you to reassign the internal amps of the front channels. IOW, although you can use the front channel pre-outs for those models that have them, you would forgo use of two of the internal amps on all but the top-of-the-line AVR's.
post #39795 of 39809 Old Today, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

I've been out of my cool cave and into this little pad for just over three years now, since then, I've brought one in, moved it around to three different walls and finally put it away after about six months of use. I can only use it when the upstairs is gone, and then, it shakes the living crap out of everything in the room lol and that's just one!! LOL, my 6 year old daughter adores, no, is addicted to my subs bass out put, she literally fell on her back on the living room floor (dramatic) when I brought the sub in for the first time she begged and actually got depressed when I packed it up. But I have distracted her with wild fantasies of putting splitters in the four sub pre-outs on the back of the 70.4 in order to run 8 monster subs, that usually shuts her up for a bit

Rock on with A9's set at 40HZ
Geoff, just curious.

Since you're not running subs aren't you running full range?
Shouldn't have any bass management for any speakers.
If you're running at 40Hz, where does 0-39Hz go? (Theoretically speaking)
post #39796 of 39809 Old Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
why are you not a fan of Adcom? They are one of the flattest low distortion amps ever made in their price range...I believe they measure 2-50khz(GFA 555)
This may or may not be something you agree with, but sometimes the synergy for amps and certain speakers just isnt there. I believe ALL components can color the sound a bit. That said, the Adcom's I've heard from some very trusted friends are a little grainy on the top end for me so I'd pass... that isnt to say Adcoms are GOOD amps, just not what I'd get since you can get Parasounds, Carvers, etc for not too much more than the comprable Adcom.

I've got a buddy that run through like 10 diff Adcom's over the years and he prefers the models that use MOFSETS IIRC over the others... Couldn't tell you what models those are however. But he prefers the CARVER stuff he's listened to (TFM-45, TFM-35, M-500t MKII, M1.0t MKII) over his Adcoms...

So again just not my cup of tea, but if the price is right, I'd check em out and see what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Geoff, just curious.

Since you're not running subs aren't you running full range?
Shouldn't have any bass management for any speakers.
If you're running at 40Hz, where does 0-39Hz go? (Theoretically speaking)
I think it just isnt there as much...... The Xover isnt a straight number, its where the slope begins so the speakers still play below that just less and less the farther down you go...Better way to think of it is that the crossover number is the top of a sloping hill. Its not a drop-off just a slow slope down....

Since he's got upstairs neighbors I'd guess thats how he's trying to be nice as bass waves are very long and able to be transmitted MUCH easier through walls/ceilings/etc than higher frequencies....

My Setup

Quote:

post #39797 of 39809 Old Today, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comments on FXi A6's for rears in a 5.1 set up? I have RTi A3 fronts and the CSi A6 center. (its all my room allows; they either go on the wall behind my couch that the couch is pushed up to, or I stick with a 3.0 set up until I move in about a year)
post #39798 of 39809 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Comments on FXi A6's for rears in a 5.1 set up? I have RTi A3 fronts and the CSi A6 center. (its all my room allows; they either go on the wall behind my couch that the couch is pushed up to, or I stick with a 3.0 set up until I move in about a year)
Great speakers, but be aware they are larger than you would think. Also they cannot be used (practically) as fronts should you ever try them in that position. They do spread the surround sound nicely. There is a switch on them which basically reverses the phase of the second tweeter to accommodate whether they are mounted close to a reflecting wall.

Quote:
I was looking through the website accessories for less and I was looking at getting a couple your old Denon AVR 2113 CI receiver. I am pretty new to the whole external amplifier thing and it down the road I would like to get some RTI 12 towers so my question is can anyone tell me if this receiver has the capability for an external amp at least for the fronts? A while back I was told that supposedly, the in command receivers all had pre-outs not sure if that is correct or not. I'd appreciate the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Also bear in mind--if it is a matter of concern for you--that AFAICR only the flagship Denon AVR's of recent years (i.e., 4520 or X7200) will allow you to reassign the internal amps of the front channels. IOW, although you can use the front channel pre-outs for those models that have them, you would forgo use of two of the internal amps on all but the top-of-the-line AVR's.

The 3313 is the lowest level Denon with pre-outs, and as chi-guy pointed out, when you run an external amp with that class of Denon (as I do currently) the unused internal amps are still powered, just not driving anything... which was part of my justification for upgrading to the 4520 after considering maybe an X4000 or X4100. The 4520 cost just a little more and delivers a whole lot more.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39799 of 39809 Old Today, 08:55 AM

So just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that anything lesser than the 3313 I cannot reassign the amps to buy amp my front speakers?
post #39800 of 39809 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that anything lesser than the 3313 I cannot reassign the amps to buy amp my front speakers?
You can re-assign the two "spare" amps to either rear, heights, wide, zone 2, or bi-amp your mains, but bi-amping really doesn't get you anything. Most here will agree. And with the Rti12's you will definitely want an external amp to get the most from those speakers.

The issue is the number of drivers in the cabinet versus the limited power available from the single power supply of an AVR. Six drivers in the Rti12's demand a lot of power (otherwise you run the risk of clipping and possibly damaging the tweeter) and no matter how you use the internal amps in the AVR, they all draw from a single power supply.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I've been down this road before. So have many others.

Last edited by RobLee; Today at 09:17 AM.
post #39801 of 39809 Old Today, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
This may or may not be something you agree with, but sometimes the synergy for amps and certain speakers just isnt there. I believe ALL components can color the sound a bit. That said, the Adcom's I've heard from some very trusted friends are a little grainy on the top end for me so I'd pass... that isnt to say Adcoms are GOOD amps, just not what I'd get since you can get Parasounds, Carvers, etc for not too much more than the comprable Adcom.

I've got a buddy that run through like 10 diff Adcom's over the years and he prefers the models that use MOFSETS IIRC over the others... Couldn't tell you what models those are however. But he prefers the CARVER stuff he's listened to (TFM-45, TFM-35, M-500t MKII, M1.0t MKII) over his Adcoms...

So again just not my cup of tea, but if the price is right, I'd check em out and see what you think.

I think it just isnt there as much...... The Xover isnt a straight number, its where the slope begins so the speakers still play below that just less and less the farther down you go...Better way to think of it is that the crossover number is the top of a sloping hill. Its not a drop-off just a slow slope down....

Since he's got upstairs neighbors I'd guess thats how he's trying to be nice as bass waves are very long and able to be transmitted MUCH easier through walls/ceilings/etc than higher frequencies....
funny that is kind of how I was feeling about the emotiva amps as if they have to much gain and I moved back to just letting the higher end yammy deal with it.(original bought the amp for an 80w receiver new one is 150 with I think better internals)
post #39802 of 39809 Old Today, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Great speakers, but be aware they are larger than you would think. Also they cannot be used (practically) as fronts should you ever try them in that position. They do spread the surround sound nicely. There is a switch on them which basically reverses the phase of the second tweeter to accommodate whether they are mounted close to a reflecting wall.
The size isn't a real issue unless they would require special mounting skills....how do you have yours wall mounted? Just a screw into the drywall or is a stud necessary?
post #39803 of 39809 Old Today, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
The size isn't a real issue unless they would require special mounting skills....how do you have yours wall mounted? Just a screw into the drywall or is a stud necessary?

I have the FXiA4 and they are pretty heavy. I mounted in a stud.
post #39804 of 39809 Old Today, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post
I have the FXiA4 and they are pretty heavy. I mounted in a stud.
Thanks. Should the rears be mounted exactly in line with the fronts? Or is it ok if they deviate some to accommodate mounting on a stud?
post #39805 of 39809 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 105
^^

I have my FXiA4 mounted at almost 2 feet above ear level. I really liked that position for the surround speakers. Before you drill any holes in your wall, I suggest experimenting with it

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #39806 of 39809 Old Today, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With the right setup a stud isnt needed.... Just get heavy duty wall anchors...

I've got my LSi F/X's mounted directly to the drywall using these. Think mine are rated for 50 lbs each which is overkill but thats how I do it...

My Setup

Quote:

post #39807 of 39809 Old Today, 07:07 PM

Holy smokes...

I just sold my front three speakers (65ts and 25c) to a guy locally, so I'm left with my FXiA4s.

No way Jose I'm using the TV speakers, so now I have the FXiA4 as my FL/FR.

Much clearer dialogue (even though I have no CC now!) and sense of spaciousness - maybe due to the fact that these are Bipole/Dipole speakers. The switch on the back is on "Bipole". Anyhow, I am VERY pleased with the results.

That makes me a bit more relieved, since I don't think I'll be in such a hurry for my new speakers. Not sure what I'll be getting next, but these FXiA4 ROCK!

P.S.: About three months ago, I had the speakers setup at my in-laws house and the cleaning lady knocked one down. They're on a 30" tall stand, so it was a significant drop. There is a big dent on the top, but it works just like the other one.

Yippee-ki-yay...

Last edited by cesar123; Today at 07:10 PM.
post #39808 of 39809 Old Today, 07:09 PM

repeat post...

Yippee-ki-yay...

Last edited by cesar123; Today at 07:10 PM. Reason: repeat.
post #39809 of 39809 Old Today, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought my first set of Polk speakers. I had the energy take classic 5.1 system and I wanted to upgrade to something with a little more power. I bought the Polk CS2 and a pair of monitor70s, but kept the energy subwoofer and rear speakers the same. This is being hooked up to a Denon 1612. I'm honestly not that impressed with the quality. Did I make a bad choice of speakers, or should I upgrade my subwoofer too? I don't know what I should do.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com