Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1328 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #39811 of 39817 Unread Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
I just bought my first set of Polk speakers. I had the energy take classic 5.1 system and I wanted to upgrade to something with a little more power. I bought the Polk CS2 and a pair of monitor70s, but kept the energy subwoofer and rear speakers the same. This is being hooked up to a Denon 1612.

I'm honestly not that impressed with the quality. It doesn't sound like much of an improvement. Did I make a bad choice of speakers, or should I upgrade my subwoofer too? I don't know what I should do.
Honestly your 1612 doesn't have the balls to drive the Monitor 70s very well. A more powerful receiver would do you well.

But the energy were also good speakers and probably sounded better as they were more efficient and easier to drive than your Monitors now are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39812 of 39817 Unread Today, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, thanks for the replies. For the setup that I have, what receiver do you think would be the best for me?
post #39813 of 39817 Unread Today, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the replies. For the setup that I have, what receiver do you think would be the best for me?
Your current AVR is somewhat underpowered, but it could be something else causing your dissatisfaction besides speaker break-in or just acclimation to the new sound. I'm assuming at least that you verified that your speakers are not defective. Did you run Audyssey calibration? If so, did you attach the mic to a tripod or boom stand and run all six positions? Have you experimented with different audio settings and source material? (Also, in rare cases the Audyssey mic has proven to be defective.)

OTOH, If you decide to upgrade your AVR, the anser to what's best for you depends on a number of factors, including budget, room size and acoustics, inputs/source material, needs, and features that you might appreciate.

Without knowing any of those factors--but assuming that you like Denon and are on a limited budget (based on your selection of the low-end 1612)--I suggest you take a look at this refurbished AVR-3311CI for $450 (plus shipping) from authorized reseller A4L. It comes with a one-year warranty and has many improvements over your 1612, including (among others) 125W/ch, 7.1 (with connections for 11.2 speakers and 7.2 pre-outs), Audyssey MultEQ XT (better version of MultEQ for all 11.1 speakers), AirPlay, HD Radio, 7 HDMI inputs, Zones 2/3, et alia.

This may be more AVR than you need or more than you want to spend, in which case there are many other good choices. But you could use this model as a baseline to determine what is important to you and what you are willing to pay for it.
post #39814 of 39817 Unread Today, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
I just bought my first set of Polk speakers. I had the energy take classic 5.1 system and I wanted to upgrade to something with a little more power. I bought the Polk CS2 and a pair of monitor70s, but kept the energy subwoofer and rear speakers the same. This is being hooked up to a Denon 1612.

I'm honestly not that impressed with the quality. It doesn't sound like much of an improvement. Did I make a bad choice of speakers, or should I upgrade my subwoofer too? I don't know what I should do.
So how are they sounding deficient? with monitor they need to get some what loud to sound good.
post #39815 of 39817 Unread Today, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Your current AVR is somewhat underpowered, but it could be something else causing your dissatisfaction besides speaker break-in or just acclimation to the new sound. I'm assuming at least that you verified that your speakers are not defective. Did you run Audyssey calibration? If so, did you attach the mic to a tripod or boom stand and run all six positions? Have you experimented with different audio settings and source material? (Also, in rare cases the Audyssey mic has proven to be defective.)

OTOH, If you decide to upgrade your AVR, the anser to what's best for you depends on a number of factors, including budget, room size and acoustics, inputs/source material, needs, and features that you might appreciate.

Without knowing any of those factors--but assuming that you like Denon and are on a limited budget (based on your selection of the low-end 1612)--I suggest you take a look at this refurbished AVR-3311CI for $450 (plus shipping) from authorized reseller A4L. It comes with a one-year warranty and has many improvements over your 1612, including (among others) 125W/ch, 7.1 (with connections for 11.2 speakers and 7.2 pre-outs), Audyssey MultEQ XT (better version of MultEQ for all 11.1 speakers), AirPlay, HD Radio, 7 HDMI inputs, Zones 2/3, et alia.

This may be more AVR than you need or more than you want to spend, in which case there are many other good choices. But you could use this model as a baseline to determine what is important to you and what you are willing to pay for it.
Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer, I appreciate it. The speakers are not defective. I've run a full audyssey calibration. So far I've listened to some blu-rays, cable tv and video games.

So the AVR-3311CI will give me a noticeable improvement in sound quality? $450.00 is around what I'm willing to spend. I wouldn't want to go much higher than that. My room is around 13x13x8, but with a slightly irregular shape.
post #39816 of 39817 Unread Today, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
So how are they sounding deficient? with monitor they need to get some what loud to sound good.
I guess I'd describe the audio as muddy sounding and somewhat anemic. Coming from the Energy Take Classic satellite speakers, I was anticipating more power. Maybe my receiver is just too weak. After the audyssey calibration, it set the CS2 and Monitor70's crossover to "full range" or something like that. Would it help if I set the speakers to small, and manually adjusted the crossover to something different?
post #39817 of 39817 Unread Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer, I appreciate it. The speakers are not defective. I've run a full audyssey calibration. So far I've listened to some blu-rays, cable tv and video games.

So the AVR-3311CI will give me a noticeable improvement in sound quality? $450.00 is around what I'm willing to spend. I wouldn't want to go much higher than that. My room is around 13x13x8, but with a slightly irregular shape.
Well, again, there may be other factors in play besides the capability of the AVR to drive your speakers effectively, but the 3311 should provide an audible improvement over the 1612--if only for the extra power and higher-grade Audyssey MultEQ XT. I believe you are using a powered SW; where did you set the XO on your 70's? If you are asking the 1612 to dig down deep on the 70's it will definitely strain.

For under $500 you would be hard pressed to do better than the refurb 3311 (bear in mind that that is the last one currently in stock at A4L). But consider that you are also paying for other features that may not matter to you (such as HD Radio, phono pre-amp, multi-zone, etc.). However, that's part of the package and most AVR's that have MultEQ XT (or even better, XT32) will also have other advanced features.

My old AVR was a 3311 and I loved it. (I just sold it last week on Craigslist for $380.) I was using it to drive Monitor 75t's in a 7.1 setup in a medium-sized living room. It more than met my needs, but yours might be different from mine.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com